• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics: Gen VI: DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource

Years
The only issue was that the sprites were rejected with no reasoning the first round through. I read the first post but it never mentioned high-contrast and more HGSS style spriting, so I assumed it was D/P (for me my mind just went straight to gen 4). Chaos cleared that up for me. Knowing that, I thought I should reconstruct the edits and explanation, that's the only reason why I explained some of the other issues beyond the original coloring, which I really love for an anime style. :)

The only other thing was that the other edits, beyond the color, were rejected without a reason, though they more closely resembled the Sugimori artwork and aestetic (for instance discernible facial features which are the core of any sprite).

The basic "rules of spriting" were just some tips from observations over the years, such as pupil positioning. I never meant to come off as if I knew more than you. You could actually help me in some choices of color especially! I also made sure to give you some praise along with some areas for improvement. This really is a great resource so far!

Though, I understand I made may have hurt your feelings, that was not the intention. I just thought I'd give a shot at helping polish some of the sprites. I apologize and genuinely hope you continue to do well with the resource. There are several sprites that you have done that really are dang near perfection, if not, perfect for the style. I apologize for any hurt feelings and will respect your wishes not to make any further critiques or edits to your sprites.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Well sorry for all the drama regarding previous posts.
That's all behind us now!

Here is Pancham!
54T3nAa.png

Not sure what'll be up next, probably a fix of Braixen's Front and Gogoat's Back Sprite.
Perhaps Amaura's front too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
Here's my attempt at Honedge.
i,imgur,com/qrl0e3e,png

Replace commas with periods. I don't have 15 posts so I can't post links apparently, but I don't think I'll be posting enough anywhere on the forum to get that anytime soon. (Case in point, I registered this account a year ago and this is my first post.)

EDIT: I made it for a FR hack I'm working on that will probably not ever be finished so I thought someone else may like the sprite.

mod edit
qrl0e3e.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
.....he said while crediting the Smogon XY Sprite Project and more specifically Quanyails, who made the original sized front, since the colours are the exact same.

Perhaps these call-outs need to be kept public so people realize the proper format for crediting. Will also help me get to 15 posts so I too can post some darn images. I cannot tell if you used the Quany original or the Smogon XY edit cause of the size difference. But for sake of argument I'll assume the Smogon one as it is a bit more widely distributed.

Anyways onto fixes, here is a small push in the right direction

i,imgur,com/d9GlpMb,png

watch sword point, design, shading is a bit suspect in how you reduced it. Watch hilt design especially. This should actually be really easy to reduce in size.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
.....he said while crediting the Smogon XY Sprite Project and more specifically Quanyails, who made the original sized front, since the colours are the exact same.

Perhaps these call-outs need to be kept public so people realize the proper format for crediting. Will also help me get to 15 posts so I too can post some darn images. I cannot tell if you used the Quany original or the Smogon XY edit cause of the size difference. But for sake of argument I'll assume the Smogon one as it is a bit more widely distributed.

Anyways onto fixes, here is a small push in the right direction

i,imgur,com/d9GlpMb,png

watch sword point, design, shading is a bit suspect in how you reduced it. Watch hilt design especially. This should actually be really easy to reduce in size.

If your talking to me, I'll tell you how I made the sprite. I made it from scratch based off of this screenshot.

assets,vg247,com/current//2013/07/honedge_screenshot_1.jpg

If you go to Google images, this screenshot is on the first page, if you type Honedge, so it wouldn't surprise me if more than one person used it as a base.

I took the colors from the Pokemon Showdown online game. That may be why the colors are the same. However, other than the colors, I did make the sprite myself.

Edit: The reason I took the colors is I could not grab a combination of colors that looked pleasing to the eye from the screenshot.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I honestly cannot believe that. In comparing the Showdown sprite (the ones I help provide through Smogon) and yours.

Front:
-Dark yellow lining is the same, including the two pixel spacing on the right of the hilt
-For the most part shading is exactly the same
-Black outlining entirely the same except at sword tip
-similar method of shading at sword

Back:
-Hilt and base of sword are 95% pixel for pixel the same, it's not even funny how similar they are.

I've seen a ton of spriters do the same pose of a pokemon (I can say with some truth to it I've seen about every decent spriters attempt at XY pokemon on the internet), very rarely do we find such similarities from truly independent artists.

I understand the need more than anyone that new spriters need some stylistic base to lean on. Just make sure to credit that base, a little does go a long way.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
I honestly cannot believe that. In comparing the Showdown sprite (the ones I help provide through Smogon) and yours.

Front:
-Dark yellow lining is the same, including the two pixel spacing on the right of the hilt
-For the most part shading is exactly the same
-Black outlining entirely the same except at sword tip
-similar method of shading at sword

Back:
-Hilt and base of sword are 95% pixel for pixel the same, it's not even funny how similar they are.

I've seen a ton of spriters do the same pose of a pokemon (I can say with some truth to it I've seen about every decent spriters attempt at XY pokemon on the internet), very rarely do we find such similarities from truly independent artists.

I understand the need more than anyone that new spriters need some stylistic base to lean on. Just make sure to credit that base, a little does go a long way.

I understand your concerns and I feel like if you don't believe me then there is no way I can change your mind. If you'd like to continue this discussion through PM, I'd be happy to do so. I do not believe this discussion should be continued on this thread since this is a thread for sprites, not a discussion board for if someone stole another person's artwork. PM if you want to chat and I'll see if I can find some rough drafts on my hard drive to change your mind.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
as a note any zard x should have different coloured blue horn tips and shoulder spikes because the shiny makes them red. Consider sharing the lightest blue wing colour with those spikes, and the lightest body grey could be shared with nail grey to optimize colours. The belly is also supposed to be a bit lighter for the shiny which would effect flame colour but this is probably less significant.

Watch outline on tail tip, neck is craned really weirdly, rear shoulder spike wants to be more upright.

MrDollSteak

Years
i worked on bunnelby (needs some shading) i hope you like it.
yeah it's ears are kinda small.

It's good to see you practicing, but I won't be accepting this one either.
The colours are better, but it doesn't have much shading, or a neck.

Here's my attempt at Honedge.
i,imgur,com/qrl0e3e,png

Replace commas with periods. I don't have 15 posts so I can't post links apparently, but I don't think I'll be posting enough anywhere on the forum to get that anytime soon. (Case in point, I registered this account a year ago and this is my first post.)

EDIT: I made it for a FR hack I'm working on that will probably not ever be finished so I thought someone else may like the sprite.

mod edit

Sorry won't be accepting this.
Also I agree with Layell. It honestly looks like you've resized the smogon sprite to maybe 90% and started to touch it up briefly.

i,imgur,com/As8xp7u.png

I hope you like it!

Thanks, but I won't be accepting this.

Anyway for everybody else I've done Fletchling!

OIRozJn.png

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
Here,i remaked bunnelby(Now with shading and head placed :D)
ezimba15433138629200.png

It's better, but I still won't be using it.
The ears, face, collar, arms and legs are pretty
off. I'd make them alot smoother. I'd also consult
a model or existing sprite to get an idea about how
to improve it.

With that out of the way, I've done Aromatisse!

qneqv1j.png

I'm on a roll! That's two new sprites in the space
of a few days.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
Two new sprites within a few days... Excellent job! Keep this up, and it'll be done in no time... No rush though... You're doing great!!!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Can I give some small suggestions?

Things like Aroma's shiny are obnoxious so I made a few small adjustments to the fluff outlines so it looks better on the shiny and the regular looks perfect. Purple/pink to purple/blue, makes perfect sense thanks GF! For the left eye I also cut some of the nose outline to make it clearer.

I would also dare to say that the eye needs another shade, I can't think of similar sized eyes that only have one. Perhaps cut the fluff highlight or head highlight to add a darker eye.

PunkPhantom

"midna's a cat" -vinny, vinesauce
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Let me get this straight, are these sprites free for anyone to use in a hack or can only MrDollSteak use them?

WAS

Years
There are resource packs you can download consisting of every sprite sheet from the DS games. Then you can run a Action Script to upscale to nearest neighbor. You'd be done in about 5 minutes. Had to do this for Pokemon 3D.

Anyways, I like the upscales, though I'd suggest using Alpha PNGs or actually selecting the Green to be transparent through GIF settings. That's the point of the colored BG is to use a color not ever going to be used in a palette and then making it transparent for the game engines to read. So as it stands right now the sprites all have BGs to be removed to utilize.

Back