• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Wow okay, so I didnt realise how many posts this thread had gotten.

So you guys understand, the beta is technically finished in terms of main events.

However, virtopia and the berry juicing competition features are both works in progress. I don't really have much inspiration to finish them at the moment, so I'm gonna ask you guys a question: would you prefer to wait for me to finish these two features, or release a beta that has half of virtopia finished and the berry juicing competition just completely off-limits?

They are the main things holding me back, though I do plan to add some changes to Pokémons movesets, abilities and add new moves so the meta isn't so outdated.

Take your time dude no need to rush things. The more time you spend with it the better it will be.

Years
POKéMON COBALT BETA 1 RELEASE

POKéMON COBALT BETA 1 RELEASE

Bugs and Oddities

• If you do not enter anything for your name at the very beginning of the game, glitches will occur when you open your Trainer Card or in certain scripts where your name is mentioned. To avoid this, just enter a name yourself.
  • New moves may not work 100% correctly, but nothing game breaking.
  • The textbox that says "the caught Pokémon was sent to the Box" does not display.
  • Sometimes, random black half-tiles will appear. They do nothing as far as I know except look ugly and disappear when you exit and re-enter the map.
  • The list on the Bug Report shows an empty option and CANCEL. You can still click on the empty space to access the listed bugs.
  • Ported music sounds bad.
Bugs highlighted in red can potentially be break or freeze your game. Remember to save often and to keep save states to keep your progress!

Things to note

• Moves have had their PP, Base Power and accuracy updated. A list of all the changes can be found in the README.
  • Some Pokémon have been buffed to be more useful. A list of all the changes can be found in the README.
  • Moves from Generation 4 and Generation 5 have been added in. A list of all the moves added in can be found in the README.
  • Certain evolutions have been edited. A list of the edits can be found in the README.
  • HM05 is now Rock Climb. TM01 is Hone Claws, TM23 is Earth Power.
    [*]This beta ends at the fourth gym in Slateport City.
    [*]Please make sure you have patched the FireRed ROM named "1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" (google it) before reporting a bug.

Last edited:

xGal

Mhm
Years
Fufufu that's good MyBoy has the ability to patch hehe... Can't wait to play!!!!

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I've been having a bit of difficulty getting this to boot properly. I see the Zigzagoon mail screen briefly and then it cuts to black. I plugged it into VBA-SDL-H and it was infinite looping around 0x8AA, if that means anything. Plugging an FR savestate at the title screen into it gets a jump cut to a naming screen and then the protagonist's room- it seems to be working from there, but a friend of mine has been mentioning the mailbox giving infinite devon scopes.

edit:

WNFT4Gy.png

to be fair i was asking for this since the sailor was offering to take me to the area i was already in, but since i wasn't making savestates i think i'll wait for this to get ironed out a bit
also tail whip ledyba might be a thing depending on whether or not it was actually patching right

Last edited:

HyperKiller

What if..?
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 26, 2023
Ohohoho. First stop: Virtopia!

...After starter and plot and stuff, of course. Good job on everything, keep calm and hack on!

EDIT: ....Actually, like the above, it goes black after the website screen.

Last edited:
Years
wow that was a dumb mistake

PLEASE REDOWNLOAD FROM THE INITIAL RELEASE POST

For those that are interested, I forgot that I had resized my ROM to 32MB but didn't patch using .UPS. This download includes NUPS so you won't need to go and find a downloader yourself. The original beta release post also has this link.

Plugging an FR savestate at the title screen into it gets a jump cut to a naming screen and then the protagonist's room
Good, this is intended, and, from my testing, works perfectly in the new patch.

a friend of mine has been mentioning the mailbox giving infinite devon scopes.
Oh wow, that was just a dumb mistake on my behalf. It's been fixed.

WNFT4Gy.png

to be fair i was asking for this since the sailor was offering to take me to the area i was already in, but since i wasn't making savestates i think i'll wait for this to get ironed out a bit
I'm pretty sure this is a problem with patching. If it comes up again I'll look into it.

also tail whip ledyba might be a thing depending on whether or not it was actually patching right
Haha this actually was a thing. I've fixed their movesets, which were apparently broken for some reason.

Last edited:

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Great to see that there is a release now! I had been eager to play through this hack for it is seemingly of great quality. Now, I am currently past the 2nd Gym, seemingly stuck. Here are the bugs/oddities I have ran into:

Spoiler:

Years
Great to see that there is a release now! I had been eager to play through this hack for it is seemingly of great quality. Now, I am currently past the 2nd Gym, seemingly stuck. Here are the bugs/oddities I have ran into:

Spoiler:

Thanks for this. I've fixed all the bugs apart from the last two - you can redownload from the initial release post.

Could I have a little more information about the boat problem?

Also, I also encountered that problem with evolving Torchic and I don't really know what caused it or how to fix it. I've added it to the initial release post under bugs so everyone else knows what to do.

Years
I was going to go celebrate getting my first paycheck by blowing most of it on food but this seems even better! (And less costly)

EDIT: So when I try patching it, this comes up:
Y6aq3l3.png

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Okay, I played the new patch up to the first gym and, while this is very promising, there is no shortage of little things to nitpick:

Spoiler:

Years
for some reason i can't save it always say error but i have on 128k and i tried 68k too afterwards help please!
I'm not sure about this, I can save fine. If push comes to shove, you could always use Save States instead, though I know that's not ideal.
So when I try patching it, this comes up:

Y6aq3l3.png
The ROM I'm using is 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) and it patches fine.

lhlfs9x.png

There's no safeguard against the player leaving their name blank, which for anyone else reading this is not a good idea as the ROM will literally scream at you if you look at your trainer card.
Hm, this is a problem that I'm not too sure how to fix. I think for now I'll leave it, but I'll put in the notes that you have to enter your name.

EzRTdGQ.png

This is flagrantly engineered, but the guy should face you when you trigger the events here.
Thanks, fixed.

El8GB8T.png
2l2msCj.png

In a similar vein, Mom's position resets if you walk into the kitchen instead of taking your starter, which leads to her going on an adventure through the bookshelf.
Also fixed.

qYVzE7l.png

I'm not sure why this guy is breaking, but he offers to ferry me into a tree any time I talk to him.
Fixed.

WXwL6hH.png
bnpsAjV.png

I thought I had a better screenshot of this one, but basically the two grunts blocking the way here appear auto-magically when you step over the area border. It'd be nice if they didn't, or even better, if they just weren't there at all as it doesn't seem like they're blocking anything important.
They were meant to have disappeared by then, it seems they were given the wrong flag. Fixed.

4unIyTz.png

I know Ledyba is boring but come on, it deserves a backsprite at least ._.
I don't know what happened to Ledyba but its backsprite was there, just on an altitude so high (or low) that is wasn't visible. Fixed.

VTR96EL.png

aaaaaaa

(I really like this map, by the way- good job with it)
Thanks, and I've fixed it.

WTjlBmO.png

Is there a DPSS on this ROM? The damage here was a single non-critical Confusion, and experimentation with Intimidate leads me to believe that the game is using physical modifiers for it- in any case it really shouldn't be doing that much to Ledyba's special defense off Meditite's lackluster special attack.
I'll have to look into this, but it's not fixed for this patch.
edit: turns out I had half implemented the DPSS. The new patch should include it now.

cEttCBA.png

As the player is walking away from the gym is a rather rude time for a forced rival battle :/
I'm assuming you're handling the possibility of the player losing gracefully, but if you aren't, at least shove the battle south so people won't be punished for not sweeping the gym.
(also consider the possibility of fainting from poison in the gym if you haven't- with taillow around there's going to be someone crazy enough to do it)
I've moved it lower, I didn't even consider this.

5pww2sn.png

With regards to the evolution bug, I decided to poke around in a debugger. What's happening is a jump at xD7862 is going to xE7D9DBDA, which, being out of bounds, leads to the game not doing very much. I noticed a bunch of weird changes around there in a hex editor- reverting a couple of them to what they are in vanilla FR made the sequence stop locking up at least.
I've seen what you're talking about and I've done what you've done so it should be fixed now but I can't be sure.

I'd also like to say that, while this is quite unpolished, the scripting is fairly nice and the writing is well done- I can definitely see that effort went into this.
Thanks. I didn't properly beta test this because I'd undoubtedly miss a lot so I decided to release it untested anyway. Most of the stuff you've found I would've overlooked anyway, so it appears to be more effective. Thanks!

If you're not bored of this hack by now, you can redownload from here.

Last edited:
Years
I've just updated all the moves from Gen 1 to Gen 3 with the PP, Base Power and Accuracy of their Generation 5 versions, and I have implemented the DPSS properly, although the icons are not yet displayed. You can redownload from the initial release post to see these changes.

Years
So I downloaded the same type of ROM that you said you used and the same message as before came up but I just checked "Ignore" in NUPS and patched it anyways.

Currently I'm up to the Under Forest.

Tribbug is adorable (it became my first catch) and I love Yew's explanation of Team Aura and the Team Magma reference on the Meteorite Machine and... well if I listed everything I love about the hack, this would be really long.

I found a bug where Shuppet's only move is glitchy and freezes the game. Also, I bought the Golden Poke Ball from the man and then found the one past the cut trees but it still says I only have one. Oh and my Marshtomp learned Razor Leaf:
yPkcVdP.png

However, all of these might be because of the patch not working for me and not because of the hack itself.

This hack is incredible so far and I know it will get better once I play more!

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Could I have a little more information about the boat problem?

View attachment 69071
Say "yes" here and...
View attachment 69072

In the most recent patch, he does not appear in front of his house before fixing his Seel. However, after fixing his Pokemon (and saying "yes" to his offer as shown in the bottom of this post), he reappears in front of his house, same exact script that leads the player to be stuck on a tree. I am presuming a level script that takes the player directly to the ship was supposed to trigger after accepting his offer (again, the one that does not break the game.)

View attachment 69073

Years
So I downloaded the same type of ROM that you said you used and the same message as before came up but I just checked "Ignore" in NUPS and patched it anyways.

Currently I'm up to the Under Forest.

Tribbug is adorable (it became my first catch) and I love Yew's explanation of Team Aura and the Team Magma reference on the Meteorite Machine and... well if I listed everything I love about the hack, this would be really long.

I found a bug where Shuppet's only move is glitchy and freezes the game. Also, I bought the Golden Poke Ball from the man and then found the one past the cut trees but it still says I only have one. Oh and my Marshtomp learned Razor Leaf:
yPkcVdP.png

However, all of these might be because of the patch not working for me and not because of the hack itself.

This hack is incredible so far and I know it will get better once I play more!
It seems the patch I uploaded was bugged again, the newest one has fixed at least the Gold Poké Ball and Marshtomp issues, though I'm not sure about the Shuppet glitch.

I'm glad you like it.
View attachment 69071
Say "yes" here and...
View attachment 69072

In the most recent patch, he does not appear in front of his house before fixing his Seel. However, after fixing his Pokemon (and saying "yes" to his offer as shown in the bottom of this post), he reappears in front of his house, same exact script that leads the player to be stuck on a tree. I am presuming a level script that takes the player directly to the ship was supposed to trigger after accepting his offer (again, the one that does not break the game.)

View attachment 69073
I've finally fixed this I think.

So yeah, redownload (again, sorry) and it SHOULD be okay.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Hey I really like the story of the game. However I found a bug which I'm not sure you're aware of.
The bug is that the game crashes when you evolve Treecko to Grovyle at lvl 16.

Years
Hey I really like the story of the game. However I found a bug which I'm not sure you're aware of.
The bug is that the game crashes when you evolve Treecko to Grovyle at lvl 16.

Hm, when did you download the beta? It may be the version from before I fixed a similar glitch with Torchic evolving. Try redownloading the patch and starting anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back