• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
So been checking out my logbook on Pokemon GL and it's cool how it keeps track of every GTS and friend trade you make, as well as special events, but it also keeps track of EVERY time you put a pokemon in Daycare? Come on! Isn't that just a TAD ridiculous and needlessly clogging up data in wherever they store this data? Is there any way to delete a bunch of these events all at once or is it just one by one? I don't mind a running tally of all my trades, but keeping track of daycare use is really pointless and clogs up my timeline from seeing better stuff.

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
I just now started my first game on Y today! I have a simple question on Pokemon Amie. Is there a certain point where they introduce it to you or is it something that you can use right away and it give a tutorial in the thing itself? If people get what I'm saying.

I don't remember there being a tutorial at all, as soon as you have a pokemon you should be able to play with it

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Recently I asked about network connection errors, but the last Q&A thread was closed. Well, it's still happening to me, plus a new error that is even more problematic. The first is simply that after a couple of trades with someone, I get a connection error and have to press "OK" to return to my game screen. It doesn't seem to interfere with trades (so far) but it does prevent me from getting the option to add the person to my Friend list when we are done, since we were never really done yet anyway.

However, just now I had a new error. This time I was making a trade (Mewtwo for Giratina) and it seemed to go through, but then I got a different kind of connection error...this one telling me to turn off the power of the game! I couldn't do anything but that, and upon starting the game again, I still had Mewtwo in my box rather than Giratina. :(

Does anyone else get these errors? Is it a problem with connecting with people, Nintendo's problem, or perhaps something on my end? (I'm updated to 1.2 and don't have any other internet problems.)

Thanks.

Years
If you have access to kiloude city its better to go see the IV judge in the center then to speculate from the stats. I have had many scenarios breeding where two of the same Pokémon with the same nature and same exact level one stats had different IVs ( and not opposing or similar IVs : many times they have had the same stats and one had above average with 1-2 31's and the other have 4-5 31's with the outstanding tag )

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Recently I asked about network connection errors, but the last Q&A thread was closed. Well, it's still happening to me, plus a new error that is even more problematic. The first is simply that after a couple of trades with someone, I get a connection error and have to press "OK" to return to my game screen. It doesn't seem to interfere with trades (so far) but it does prevent me from getting the option to add the person to my Friend list when we are done, since we were never really done yet anyway.

However, just now I had a new error. This time I was making a trade (Mewtwo for Giratina) and it seemed to go through, but then I got a different kind of connection error...this one telling me to turn off the power of the game! I couldn't do anything but that, and upon starting the game again, I still had Mewtwo in my box rather than Giratina. :(

Does anyone else get these errors? Is it a problem with connecting with people, Nintendo's problem, or perhaps something on my end? (I'm updated to 1.2 and don't have any other internet problems.)

Thanks.

they both sound like the other peopel dsconnected their internet. The fiirst error sounding like when they're done trading, they simply close their screens or shut off their wifi switches (sometimes when people are done, they just shut off cause they're jerks, lol! :-) ) the second one sounds an awful lot like a failed cloning attempt to be honest. How well do you know any of these people, or are they all just passersby?

If you have access to kiloude city its better to go see the IV judge in the center then to speculate from the stats. I have had many scenarios breeding where two of the same Pokémon with the same nature and same exact level one stats had different IVs ( and not opposing or similar IVs : many times they have had the same stats and one had above average with 1-2 31's and the other have 4-5 31's with the outstanding tag )

That's why it's best of all to cash your Pokemiles in and get a bunch of rare candies, save, level up to lv 30 - 60 (depending on teh pokemon) then run teh stats through an IV calculator and then there's absolutely NO guessing, you know exactly what every stat's IVs are. Then you just reset and you have all your rare candies back and the pokemon is at level 1 again

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Okay so this is geared to the hardcore breeders that actually write down the stats of the pokemon they breed. I already asked this before, about how I know the Destiny Knot guarantees passing down 5 IVs and I was curious if that meant whether AT LEAST 5 IVs would be passed down and perhaps the game would happen to sometimes pass down the 6th IV randomly independent of the Destiny Knot (the same principle as getting a baby or legendary in the wild in Kalos: 3 IVs will ALWAYS be perfect, but sometimes you can get more) and got the definitive reply that when using the Destiny knot ONLY 5 IVs are passed down. I ask this because I ended up breeding a Smeargle with 6 Ivs. Well that's all well and good and I moved onto breeding a second Smeargle (I'm breeding 3 Smeargles, one to be a main battle pokemon, one to be a baton passer and a third to be my money generator as soon as I can get acces to Happy Hour, Pay Day and Odor Sleuth). Different parents this time (one was 31/x/31/31/31/31 and the other was 31/31/31/31/x/31) and after about 20 or so tries, I got a SECOND Smeargle with all perfect IVs

So I ask again, are we absolutely sure when breeding without a Destiny Knot ONLY 3 IVs are getting passed down and with a Destiny Knot ONLY 5 IVs are getting passed down, or are AT LEAST 3 and 5 IVs getting passed down, and it's possible for more IVs to get passed down by the game both independanlty and in addition to the guarantee 3 or 5 IVs that breeding without or with the Destiny knot entails? (Again, like the principle behind the baby or legendary Kalos pokemon all getting AT LEAST 3 perfect IVs, but is possible to get more)

Thisis why I was asking breeders specifically who write down their stats because they can check and see that "yes, out of 10 pokemon, this one got all 6 IVs from both parents, not just 5" or that "No, out of 473,942 eggs I have never ONCE seen all 6 IVs getting passed down from the parents"

I do have to say, I'm sad that both 6IV Smeargles were male now! :D

Oh, and if you want some 5 IV Technician or Own Tempo Smeargles, PM me cause I got a few extras I apparently will never, ever need now, lo! ;-)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
I think Protect would be better. One of the main uses of Substitute to to avoid status, but that's not an issue if you use Protect, since the Toxic Orb will activate and Mightyena will be immune to getting another status effect. Mightyena lacks the bulk to make good use of Sub (especially since I assume that you're running max Attack and Speed EVs to make use of Quick Feet). All that will happen is you'll put the Sub up, the opponent will break it, and then you're left with a Mightyena that is missing 1/4 of its HP and not getting anything more than what Protect could provide. It's lifespan is gonna be short enough as is with the Toxic Orb poisoning it.

Ah yes, true. To be honest the only reason I even considered Substitute is because Smogon recommended it for the Moxie set.

Now that I've actually tested Mightyena out in battle though, I'm starting to think Sucker Punch should be replaced with Crunch. After all, after Toxic Orb activates it'll be able to outspeed a lot of opponents. But maybe Sucker Punch is still useful to cover the faster opponents (even after the boost, Mightyena won't be able to outspeed everything, not by a long shot). What do you think?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Ah yes, true. To be honest the only reason I even considered Substitute is because Smogon recommended it for the Moxie set.

Now that I've actually tested Mightyena out in battle though, I'm starting to think Sucker Punch should be replaced with Crunch. After all, after Toxic Orb activates it'll be able to outspeed a lot of opponents. But maybe Sucker Punch is still useful to cover the faster opponents (even after the boost, Mightyena won't be able to outspeed everything, not by a long shot). What do you think?

At the absolute max with Quick Feet, Mightyena hits a Speed of 201 (at level 50). That basically outspeeds anything not using a Choice Scarf and outspeeds positive natured base 130's by one whole point. Sounds pretty good to me, but there is enough Scarfers and Pokemon that can boost their Speed that Sucker Punch is probably a good idea (especially since I can't assume that yours has 31 Speed IVs and a Speed boosting nature). So put it on Mightyena.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Tansfering Question

So, I've got a copy of Soulsilver with my team I've had for a while. I'm looking at moving them across to X&Y.

Now, from what I understand, the only way to do this would be to transfer them to Black & White 1/2 and then transfer them across to X&Y when the bank is up, correct?

Now my issue is, I don't have a legit copy of White, running it off an R4 card, will that still work?

Also my biggest concern is that some the Pokemon I have in Soulsilver I didn't get legitimately. My team consists of 2 that I had to get from a Platinum ROM. I haven't changed any of the stats or anything, in fact I normally moved them to soulsilver to then breed to produce and egg and then I'd use that instead of the Pokemon from the platinum Rom.

Since Soulsilver came out I've restarted it and moved Pokemon to and from the game to Platinum Rom and back, will this cause an issue transferring them to Y?

Short story: Can I trade Pokemon from Soulsilver, to a White ROM then to Y?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
At the absolute max with Quick Feet, Mightyena hits a Speed of 201 (at level 50). That basically outspeeds anything not using a Choice Scarf and outspeeds positive natured base 130's by one whole point. Sounds pretty good to me, but there is enough Scarfers and Pokemon that can boost their Speed that Sucker Punch is probably a good idea (especially since I can't assume that yours has 31 Speed IVs and a Speed boosting nature). So put it on Mightyena.

Oh wow, I hadn't done the calculations and assumed it would be worse than that. I should mention that mine has a Jolly nature and max EVs in Speed but only 23 IVs in Speed. I think I'll keep Sucker Punch, but I'll try out Crunch too. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
Lead with a Pokemon with the ability Compound Eyes, and the odds of encountering a wild Pokemon holding an item will increase from 5% to 20% - source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Compound_Eyes

Oh and teach it Thief so you can just steal the item without the need to catch the Pokemon. Butterfree, Vivillon and Yanma have Compound Eyes and can also learn Thief, and they're easy to come by too.

Oh wow, thanks this is really useful!

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
I believe you cannot use your white version for the 3ds cause the updates prevents the use of R4's. So if you are planning to migrate your pokemon through the pokebank, then you are better off purchasing an actual copy of the 5th generation game.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
Lead with a Pokemon with the ability Compound Eyes, and the odds of encountering a wild Pokemon holding an item will increase from 5% to 20% - source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Compound_Eyes

Oh and teach it Thief so you can just steal the item without the need to catch the Pokemon. Butterfree, Vivillon and Yanma have Compound Eyes and can also learn Thief, and they're easy to come by too.

Is Vivillon the one with the different forms?
Where could I find a Vivillon or Butterfree? You say they're quite easy to come by - in Safaris and/or on GTS? :)

Years
Them coming from a rom shouldn't cause a problem I don't think, their stats and moves will all be legit.
But I assume you'll have to have the copy of Black/White/2 in the 3ds system so the flash cart won't work for that.

If you don't want the 5th gen games and it's only a small number of Pokemon, you might be able to get someone to trade from your rom to their game and them trade you it back to X/Y? That's the only other option I can think of other than buying a gen 5 game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back