• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
hey people, i'm having trouble making a new map on A-Map

I've tried creating a new bank with reserved maps and everything, but even then, when i make a new map, it creates a copy of an original map, usualy its "PALLET TOWN"

why is that?

and how do i just make a completely brand new map?

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2009
Then use RPG Maker XP and quit starting a bunch of bullcrap with the members on here who DO hack. I'm not wasting my time on a nobody like this...

I tried that, too, and I got several error messages with the tilesets I got, even though I know they work, so nice try.

Look, if anyone is the idiot around here, it's YOU; map-making programs ARE you guys' foray, whether it be directly for hacking or for a full-on non-rom based game, so if ANYONE would know of a program like the one I'm looking for, it would've been YOU; just because I'm NOT making a romhack, doesn't mean I don't need your advice on finding a program for something that you do on a regular basis. Obviously, I was mistaken to believe that, if all you're going to say is "Use AdvanceMap and make the damn game, noob", and not even bother to read what I said I was intending to use the created maps for. Nice way of helping out the new guy, by alienating him with your elitist attitude.

Like I said, I've tried the program, it doesn't work for me, and it's not what I need, anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, it sucks. If it's great for you, then fine, that's your prerogative, but don't you DARE rag on me because I don't like it or find it useful for the project I'm working on, because not ONCE did I ever do that to you. If you've got another suggestion, I'm open to it, but if you're just going to treat me like an idiot troll that needs to be put down because he doesn't like your precious romhacking program, then keep it to yourself and remove yourself from the conversation, because it's not doing you or I any good to continue this pointless arguing.

muzzyguy

When disaster strikes!
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
There argueing so i dont think there going to answer my questions anyhow

same problem as platinuimpiano whenever i get warped into a room it warps me to the center instead of where i want it to qhy?

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
There argueing so i dont think there going to answer my questions anyhow

same problem as platinuimpiano whenever i get warped into a room it warps me to the center instead of where i want it to qhy?

yeah, my question isn't getting answered either.

do you know what i'm doing wrong?
i'm trying to simply make a brand new map but i've tried putting it in a new bank folder and all of that but it keeps copying a previous map into where i'm trying to make the new one.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
yeah, my question isn't getting answered either.

do you know what i'm doing wrong?
i'm trying to simply make a brand new map but i've tried putting it in a new bank folder and all of that but it keeps copying a previous map into where i'm trying to make the new one.

Please explain by New Map/ Do you want a completely new map folder without renaming old ones? You cannot make new map names without replacing old ones.

As for moving maps to different places (As in, a Pallet Town map to Ceruean City's map list), you need to go to the map header, and change the map name in the dropdown menu to the place you want, Save and reload ROM. Should have moved it to the new map list.

muzzyguy

When disaster strikes!
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
i dont know how to quote so....

anyway when you insert a new map it copies the map that you were last on so now you have 2 exact copies of one maps so now you just edit the size, music and tileset, on the header veiw then with the tilesets you edit it to what you want and then place warps and events hope that helps.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
i dont know how to quote so....

anyway when you insert a new map it copies the map that you were last on so now you have 2 exact copies of one maps so now you just edit the size, music and tileset, on the header veiw then with the tilesets you edit it to what you want and then place warps and events hope that helps.

yeah, thats pretty much what i'm trying to do, cause i want to add* maps, but then with the new one how do i change the name, or does it have to stay the same name?

muzzyguy

When disaster strikes!
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
you can change the name in the top right corner of the header veiw

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
yeah, thats pretty much what i'm trying to do, cause i want to add* maps, but then with the new one how do i change the name, or does it have to stay the same name?

Read my post I put...

Please explain by New Map. Do you want a completely new map folder without renaming old ones? You cannot make new map names without replacing old ones.

As for moving maps to different places (As in, a Pallet Town map to Ceruean City's map list), you need to go to the map header, and change the map name in the dropdown menu to the place you want, Save and reload ROM. Should have moved it to the new map list.

look in Map Header, you can move the map to a different header, and rename the entire header (which is group of maps I think, like Pallet Town, or Cerulean).

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I tried that, too, and I got several error messages with the tilesets I got, even though I know they work, so nice try.

Look, if anyone is the idiot around here, it's YOU; map-making programs ARE you guys' foray, whether it be directly for hacking or for a full-on non-rom based game, so if ANYONE would know of a program like the one I'm looking for, it would've been YOU; just because I'm NOT making a romhack, doesn't mean I don't need your advice on finding a program for something that you do on a regular basis. Obviously, I was mistaken to believe that, if all you're going to say is "Use AdvanceMap and make the damn game, noob", and not even bother to read what I said I was intending to use the created maps for. Nice way of helping out the new guy, by alienating him with your elitist attitude.

Like I said, I've tried the program, it doesn't work for me, and it's not what I need, anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, it sucks. If it's great for you, then fine, that's your prerogative, but don't you DARE rag on me because I don't like it or find it useful for the project I'm working on, because not ONCE did I ever do that to you. If you've got another suggestion, I'm open to it, but if you're just going to treat me like an idiot troll that needs to be put down because he doesn't like your precious romhacking program, then keep it to yourself and remove yourself from the conversation, because it's not doing you or I any good to continue this pointless arguing.

Advance Map is probably the easiest map editor to use. If you want to make something fast and easily, I suggest getting a game maker program with a starter kit from the Game Development section, if this is still not useful for you, I don't think ROM Hacking or Game Development could be useful for you.
So, pointless arguing can stop now. :3

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
What's so hard for you to understand that I don't like or want to use AdvanceMap? It's not what I need OR am looking for. All I'm looking for and need is a simple tile-based map creator that I can use the tilemaps I already have, can save the map as image files, and is ready to go upon startup without hacking into a game. That's not so difficult to understand, is it? AdvanceMap just doesn't suit my needs, period, so stop trying to push it on me, and if you don't know of any other program that could match what I AM looking for, then leave it at that.

You could simply use a tilemap editor such as Cyclone. It's not exactly what you're looking for but... you can still load your tileset, and draw your tilemap. When you're done, just use the Print Screen key and that's it. No need to hack a ROM, or use AdvanceMap or whatever.

EDIT: If you want something less hacking-oriented, you can try Tiled, or just find something else by googling.
Last but not the least, here we are in the hacking forum so next time you better ask in the proper thread ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
Read my post I put...

look in Map Header, you can move the map to a different header, and rename the entire header (which is group of maps I think, like Pallet Town, or Cerulean).

so could i create a new header?
beacuse if i change the name on it, then what ever the new map's original map was, would change its name also.

like when i make a new one, I'll say "ROUTE 1" and so on that new map i change its name from "ROUTE 1" to something else. but then on the original "ROUTE 1" the name also* changes

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
so could i create a new header?
beacuse if i change the name on it, then what ever the new map's original map was, would change its name also.

like when i make a new one, I'll say "ROUTE 1" and so on that new map i change its name from "ROUTE 1" to something else. but then on the original "ROUTE 1" the name also* changes

You can only rename existing map headers, and you cannot make your own. Yet. I think LU-HO may be adding that in the next Advance Map... Not too sure...

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
You can only rename existing map headers, and you cannot make your own. Yet. I think LU-HO may be adding that in the next Advance Map... Not too sure...

ok thanks man! that helps out

so if say, i wanted to make a new map for a new starting place, but didn't want to just edit the original starting map, then what should i do?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Wrong. You can't by using AdvanceMap, but there are no limits theoretically. I haven't tried expanding the map header table yet, though.

so if say, i wanted to make a new map for a new starting place, but didn't want to just edit the original starting map, then what should i do?

Use SMCA (or wait for A-Intro) and edit the starting map location so that it equals the new place.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
ok thanks man! that helps out

Hmm... Make a new map, but put it under a place that you don't wish to keep (like Cerulean Cave, or 4 Island), and rename that.

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
Years
Well...this is an interesting thread all of a sudden. :3

Anyways....
I'm having a problem. I have to edit the in-game palette of the intro hero in FR/LG, and have the in-game palette up in APE to edit. But....what now?

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2009
Hmm... Make a new map, but put it under a place that you don't wish to keep (like Cerulean Cave, or 4 Island), and rename that.

ok, so for now, until i can make new headers

I'll just use a map i don't want anymore for the new one that i want to make?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I'm having a problem. I have to edit the in-game palette of the intro hero in FR/LG, and have the in-game palette up in APE to edit. But....what now?

Sorry? I don't understand what do you mean o.O

muzzyguy

When disaster strikes!
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2014
on advance map i go into a room and it warps me to the enter and not through the door/mat why? and i need a snowy village thingy tilset does anyone no where to get one and program to put it in advance map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back