• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What's the point of Zygarde?

Years
I am thinking there is a high probability that the next installation will be a prequel.
My reasons for this...
1. Black 2 and White 2 were curve balls to say the least and I'm not completely sure if game freak and Nintendo are basing their formula by topping there predecessor's but it seems that since black and white things are a little different in pokemon. We are getting more innovative stuff from these guys ( innovative for the series ) and a direct prequel would be a great thing. Not to mention a great thing they haven't done.
2. There is SOOOOO much left untouched in XY. Instead of 50 NPC's helping you catalog info on the legendaries throughout your journey you have maybe 4 or 5. And I don't wanna go down a worm hole and bring up the confusing wars and life span time line thing. There is a lot of room to go anywhere and change anything about the legendaries because... we really don't know a lot about them. This could be the perfect set up for a prequel. I mean... a sequel is still very possible but I think maybe the lack of info was a hugggeee set up for a prequel. A. More about lysandre and maybe more about the letter he wrote to team flair about how he went on a journey at youth and the world was cold to him B. More about the pro.sycamore who is the first pro. To battle us. And talks about how he went on journeys in his youth.
3. Where zygarde comes into the prequel?
He is located in game at a abandoned mine... we could in theory be characters in kalos during the time that this mine was operating. Evil team could possibly be funding it. The world thinks that team -- is mining ore to boost economy and the evil boss guy is really just trying to get to zygarde... you could come in around the time of abandonment and save the day giving you zygarde right around the same time you would be prepping for your 8th gym badge. If the map isn't extended and the routes changed...
This is not a theory and more of a ramble
But man do I hope we get a prequel and really get to sink our teeth into the characters of xy.
I wonder if we will get mewtwo z and charizard z

Fomalhaut

Formal Hunt
Years
Well its originally based off of a fairy tale about a serpent that lives underground (hence the typing ground/dragon) and ground types tend to have not amazing stats. In the story Zygarde is the brining of order, he stops fairy and dark aura so he is the balance between light and dark. My guess in the inevitable Pokemon Z there will be an "alternate form" just like Garitina and many other legendaries.

I'm afraid your terminology is a bit off, friend. It has been well established, time tested mythological systems are different from fairy tales.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I am thinking there is a high probability that the next installation will be a prequel.
My reasons for this...
1. Black 2 and White 2 were curve balls to say the least and I'm not completely sure if game freak and Nintendo are basing their formula by topping there predecessor's but it seems that since black and white things are a little different in pokemon. We are getting more innovative stuff from these guys ( innovative for the series ) and a direct prequel would be a great thing. Not to mention a great thing they haven't done.
2. There is SOOOOO much left untouched in XY. Instead of 50 NPC's helping you catalog info on the legendaries throughout your journey you have maybe 4 or 5. And I don't wanna go down a worm hole and bring up the confusing wars and life span time line thing. There is a lot of room to go anywhere and change anything about the legendaries because... we really don't know a lot about them. This could be the perfect set up for a prequel. I mean... a sequel is still very possible but I think maybe the lack of info was a hugggeee set up for a prequel. A. More about lysandre and maybe more about the letter he wrote to team flair about how he went on a journey at youth and the world was cold to him B. More about the pro.sycamore who is the first pro. To battle us. And talks about how he went on journeys in his youth.
He is located in game at a abandoned mine... we could in theory be characters in kalos during the time that this mine was operating. Evil team could possibly be funding it. The world thinks that team -- is mining ore to boost economy and the evil boss guy is really just trying to get to zygarde... you could come in around the time of abandonment and save the day giving you zygarde right around the same time you would be prepping for your 8th gym badge. If the map isn't extended and the routes changed...
But man do I hope we get a prequel and really get to sink our teeth into the characters of xy.

…and then you guys go and ignore this post that I put up before you guys started zeroing back in on Zygarde; why don't we just talk about our general expectations for Z/W/XZ/YZ/whatever?

Wait…what weapon are we talking about again? I haven't gotten very far along in my copy of Pokémon Y, so I don't know anything about it. I do know, however, that a pair of characters, one of whom is male and the other of whom is female, drops a hint that indicates that these two Trainers would end up being the male and female protagonists of the prequel games that would tell the story of the journey across the Kalos region that they say that they took two years prior to the events of Pokémon X and Y when they stop you before you enter Lumiose City for the first time and lead you to that city's Pokémon Research Lab.

Last edited:

Q-Quan

Indigo, Unova and Kalos Champ
Years
I really wonder how they will expand in Z/X2/Y2 or anything, but I'm sure Zygarde will be in there. But if Xerneas is the life Pokémon and Yveltal the Death Pokémon, what will Zygarde be?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 6, 2014
I really wonder how they will expand in Z/X2/Y2 or anything, but I'm sure Zygarde will be in there. But if Xerneas is the life Pokémon and Yveltal the Death Pokémon, what will Zygarde be?

Zygarde is the balance between the two hince his ability Aura Break. his pokedex entry in X is "When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power." So he makes sure that Xerneas' and Yveltal's powers don't mess everything up.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
actually i think the legendaries are not of much use as official compeititons do not allow them.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
These are my thoughts on Zygarde. It'll probably be the legendary mascot of Z (assuming that's what comes next), and get an extra form. We all agree its the Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem of Gen 6. The new form will probably be called the "Chaos Form", since its species name is the Order Pokemon, and Order & Chaos are 2 sides of the same coin, sorta how Life (Xerneas) and Death (Yveltal) are 2 sides of the same coin.

And its really not that bad of a Pokemon. Sure, a 600 BST is slightly underwhemling when you look at beasts like Zekrom, Arceus, or Mewtwo, but it has a decent stat distribution. And it gets a few fun moves like Coil, Dragon Dance, and Extreme Speed. Aura Break is nice against Xerneas to weaken its supereffective Fairy attacks (although I will admit that other than that, the ability is useless). Mine runs a set like this:
Zygarde w/Sitrus Berry (still not sure what to do about item)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense
Nature: Relaxed
Moves: Coil, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Extreme Speed
Ability: Aura Break

And it does well as a physical tank. Sure, special based ice attacks make it come running back to me with tears in its eyes, but it does its job well. So don't count it out so early. It's not as crappy as regular Kyurem is.

@Yomoley: Legendaries are allowed in WiFi battles and in Pokemon Showdown.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
My reasons for this...

I agree. I brought up the idea during speculation before the games were released, and to play the game and see two characters who went on a journey in the past and act as heroes made me think that the prequels may happen. If they do they should also add time travel so we can go to XY Kalos or further into the future.

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
Years
Hey, It says on the ability screen that aura break, doesn't just cancel them out but REVERSES them, practically making all fairy/dark moves do half! That's interesting since it may have an advantage if the right moment is at due. Also, It isn't all that bad, I remember online making a person have a good run for their money with zygarde, also what's interesting to see that most people online won't even know it's typing

Years
I like how flat out I can say that. I mean i'm adding on to that post. If you remember, Rayquaza is good to correct any comments. At first everyone was like "What does Rayquaza do? It only balances Kyogre and Groudon" than to there suprise, (Not really) around 1-2 years later Pokemon Emerald was announced. Same applies to Giratina and Kyurem.

Now, Zygarde goes under there story. Xerneas=Life Yveltal=Death Zygrade=Purgatory? I don't know. All that I do know is that Purgatory is accepting death and moving on to your after life, which basiclly is the plot of Pokemon X and Y. Just you wait. In around 1-3 years "Pokemon Z coming soon..."

Years
I like how flat out I can say that. I mean i'm adding on to that post. If you remember, Rayquaza is good to correct any comments. At first everyone was like "What does Rayquaza do? It only balances Kyogre and Groudon" than to there suprise, (Not really) around 1-2 years later Pokemon Emerald was announced. Same applies to Giratina and Kyurem.

Now, Zygarde goes under there story. Xerneas=Life Yveltal=Death Zygrade=Purgatory? I don't know. All that I do know is that Purgatory is accepting death and moving on to your after life, which basiclly is the plot of Pokemon X and Y. Just you wait. In around 1-3 years "Pokemon Z coming soon..."
I think the trio is based on the Hindu trinity, which consists of three gods who represent creation, destruction (Shiva), and order/status quo.

Years
I'm aiming for a perfect natured and IV one...same with Mewtwo. Still haven't caught either.

Zygarde being part dragon means we'll have four dragons as third version mascots (counting B2W2 as third versions).

Years
I think the trio is based on the Hindu trinity, which consists of three gods who represent creation, destruction (Shiva), and order/status quo.

We all have opinions though. Until Nintendo flat out says it and also flat out releases Pokemon Z we might not know. Im not sure if this is true but if it was named XZ and YZ that might explain AZ but I think that XZ means three dimensinoal length and YZ means three dimensinoal height. Might be a longer Zygarde and a taller Zygarde form change. Just a thought.

Years
I think Zygarde will likely receive a Mega Evolution or two, as they do seem to suggest a link between the mascot and the Mega stones. Plus some of the Mega Stones are apparently underground and only surface when impacted by the light of the sun passing through the crystal sun dial. Now perhaps the crystal will play a part in the third version/sequels.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
I think it is virtual reality, or an reality you dream of that can't be destroyed/dreams.... Or memories.
Xerneas helps life
Yveltal helps destruction.
Life isn't perfect, except on games.
Nobody can destroy the reality you think of (or change your memories).

In most movies about being sucked in to a game world, is that when beaten, the virtual world breaks, it fades hexagon by hexagon( the main feature of Zygarde.)
In Rise of the Guardians, when Jack opens his Tooth case thingy, the memories fade in hexagon by hexagon.
Another story to back up my theory.
"Zygarde has a serpent-like body with a green and black pattern on it. There are black frills on the back of its head like a frilled lizard. Its eyes comprise four green hexagons like the compound eyes of of an insect. More green hexagons are on the front and back of its frills. These hexagons glow in certain patterns like a computer processing information. Its tail is flat and is black on top and green on the bottom. Its tail ends with five separate green tendrils."
taken from bulbapedia.

I have a hunch about what the sequel (If there is one) may be like. If my theory is right, when you pass through the game, disrupts in nature could be seen, caused by a computer maniac run bad team, whose leader wants to have power. When you defeat the pokemon league, Zygarde (In a better looking design, it's true power), comes and drops the world into it's own perfect virtual world. The player then has to travel to someplace and then defeats the bad guys, showing Zygarde that not all humans are bad. Thus, Zygarde takes down the virtual world, and returns to it's first form, then battling you. An item can turn Zygarde to the second form can be found. You have saved the world again!

Zygarde does not look like a memories pokemon. But, like most people say, there's a chance that Zygarde has another form, I'm hoping for a unicorn forme.:D

Years
I think it is virtual reality, or an reality you dream of that can't be destroyed/dreams.... Or memories.
Xerneas helps life
Yveltal helps destruction.
Life isn't perfect, except on games.
Nobody can destroy the reality you think of (or change your memories).

In most movies about being sucked in to a game world, is that when beaten, the virtual world breaks, it fades hexagon by hexagon( the main feature of Zygarde.)
In Rise of the Guardians, when Jack opens his Tooth case thingy, the memories fade in hexagon by hexagon.
Another story to back up my theory.
"Zygarde has a serpent-like body with a green and black pattern on it. There are black frills on the back of its head like a frilled lizard. Its eyes comprise four green hexagons like the compound eyes of of an insect. More green hexagons are on the front and back of its frills. These hexagons glow in certain patterns like a computer processing information. Its tail is flat and is black on top and green on the bottom. Its tail ends with five separate green tendrils."
taken from bulbapedia.

I have a hunch about what the sequel (If there is one) may be like. If my theory is right, when you pass through the game, disrupts in nature could be seen, caused by a computer maniac run bad team, whose leader wants to have power. When you defeat the pokemon league, Zygarde (In a better looking design, it's true power), comes and drops the world into it's own perfect virtual world. The player then has to travel to someplace and then defeats the bad guys, showing Zygarde that not all humans are bad. Thus, Zygarde takes down the virtual world, and returns to it's first form, then battling you. An item can turn Zygarde to the second form can be found. You have saved the world again!

Zygarde does not look like a memories pokemon. But, like most people say, there's a chance that Zygarde has another form, I'm hoping for a unicorn forme.:D
You know dreams wouldn't be so far off if the trio is partially based on the Hindu Trinity as some sects of that religion believe the world we live in is all a dream is all a dream, usually of the...Vishnu (Order god)...which says when he opens his eyes the world we live in will collapse (I saw this as reason for why Uxie's eyes are closed...even though it's not based on Hinduism as far as I know).

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I agree. I brought up the idea during speculation before the games were released, and to play the game and see two characters who went on a journey in the past and act as heroes made me think that the prequels may happen. If they do they should also add time travel so we can go to XY Kalos or further into the future.

Does that mean that Professor Sycamore would get a Time Capsule and allow people to use it? Now that would just be kind of weird, especially since the Time Capsule system from Generation II was only meant to allow trading between that generation and Generation I (speaking of the Time Capsule, does anybody know if there's a PC thread that discusses why it wasn't brought back in HG//SS? I'd like to know why…)

Zygarde being part dragon means we'll have four dragons as third version mascots (counting B2W2 as third versions).

I know! Enough with the 'Dragon'-type legendaries already, GameFreak!

Last edited:
Back