• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
These aren't for the challenge, but eh.
CP for twisted and the new events. I have a lot more wondercards to RNG. I don't know what natures yet.

Bag_Nest_Ball_Sprite.png
548.gif
Bag_Nest_Ball_Sprite.png

Antoinette the Petilil ♀ | Level 19
Timid | Chlorophyll | 31 19 30 30 31 30
Sleep Powder | Mega Drain | Synthesis | Magical Leaf
Amelia | 13101

Bag_Cherish_Ball_Sprite.png
643.gif

Reshiram | Level 100
Timid | Turboblaze | 31 13 31 31 31 31
Blue Flare | Fusion Flare | Mist | Draco Meteor
SPR2012 | 0310

644.gif

Zekrom | Level 100
Jolly | Teravolt | 31 31 31 1 31 31
Bolt Strike | Fusion Bolt | Haze | Outrage
SPR2012 | 03102​

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'll say it here as well -- nice RNGs, Meli! I have a few to do, not as many as you of course. On my Black I still have V-Create Victini, Mewtwo, and now Zekrom to do. Can't be bothered to do 5th gen right now. :(

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'll say it here as well -- nice RNGs, Meli! I have a few to do, not as many as you of course. On my Black I still have V-Create Victini, Mewtwo, and now Zekrom to do. Can't be bothered to do 5th gen right now. :(
5th gen is too easy anyway. xD I'm going back to Diamond and Pearl now. I just wanted to do the events and twisted's CP. 4th gen forever. <3

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

5th gen is too easy anyway. xD I'm going back to Diamond and Pearl now. I just wanted to do the events and twisted's CP. 4th gen forever. <3

OK, it is too easy. I forgot that I didn't pick up Mewtwo yet for White but I decided to keep it. I did both of these in five minutes.

016.png
150.png
016.png

Mewtwo ♁ Lv. 70
OT: FEB2012 | ID: 2112
Nature: Naive
Ability: Pressure
IVs: 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31 Dark 70
EVs: Untrained
Moves: Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, Electro Ball
Non-Redis

016.png
643.png
016.png

Reshiram ♁ Lv. 100
OT: SPR2012 | ID: 3102
Ability: Turboblaze
Moves: Blue Flare, Fusion Flare, Mist, Draco Meteor
Non-Redis

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
OK, it is too easy. I forgot that I didn't pick up Mewtwo yet for White but I decided to keep it. I did both of these in five minutes.

016.png
150.png
016.png

Mewtwo ♁ Lv. 70
Non-Redis

016.png
643.png
016.png

Reshiram ♁ Lv. 100
Ability: Turboblaze
Moves: Blue Flare, Fusion Flare, Mist, Draco Meteor
Non-Redis
I'm getting Japanese Heart Gold in April. ;D Can't wait to RNG my ID on it and get shinies.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Actually, I know that it's for any Wild Pokemon encounter. And I pretty much know that I don't have to advance frames using this method...I know you'd ask..."Why would you put it in here when you know you don't want to use this way to advance frames?" I kinda just put it up instantly, I guess. Well, so to RNG the Pokemon I'd like...I would hit a certain time and delay, do some Prof. Elm calls to check whether I got the time and delay (but mostly delay) correct and if I didn't get it right, I'd start again. Advance frames after finding out that it's correct (would you have to subtract the number of frames you'd have to go through with the number of Prof. Elm calls that I did? Because 1 Prof. Elm call advances the frame by 1. And also...I would also have to subtract the frame's number by 1, right?), walk around until you encounter a Pokemon (assuming that I won't use Sweet Scent, otherwise I'd have to go through a calculation that is time-consuming and confusing), catch the Pokemon (unless if the Pokemon you encountered isn't the species you'd like), check whether the IVs are correct and you're done (unless if the IVs are incorrect)..right?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Actually, I know that it's for any Wild Pokemon encounter. And I pretty much know that I don't have to advance frames using this method...I know you'd ask..."Why would you put it in here when you know you don't want to use this way to advance frames?" I kinda just put it up instantly, I guess. Well, so to RNG the Pokemon I'd like...I would hit a certain time and delay, do some Prof. Elm calls to check whether I got the time and delay (but mostly delay) correct and if I didn't get it right, I'd start again. Advance frames after finding out that it's correct (would you have to subtract the number of frames you'd have to go through with the number of Prof. Elm calls that I did? Because 1 Prof. Elm call advances the frame by 1. And also...I would also have to subtract the frame's number by 1, right?), walk around until you encounter a Pokemon (assuming that I won't use Sweet Scent, otherwise I'd have to go through a calculation that is time-consuming and confusing), catch the Pokemon (unless if the Pokemon you encountered isn't the species you'd like), check whether the IVs are correct and you're done (unless if the IVs are incorrect)..right?

The new RNG reporter makes using Sweet Scent a lot easier, so you need to go ahead and do that. You use Elm Calls to verify your seed, yes, that is correct. You can paste your seed hex into the main screen of RNG reporter and choose Method K (HGSS) and then hit generate. This will show you the elm responses all the way up to your target frame. Keep on calling elm until you are one below your target frame and then use sweet scent. You should get the Pokemon that you desire.

For example, if your pokemon is on frame 20, you would need to call Elm until you are on frame 19. Then you use Sweet Scent and your Pokemon appears.

Good luck.

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
I FINALLY got my challenge mon done, it took so long omg everything was trolling me

331.png

Cacnea
Sand Veil|Adamant|NNable
31|31|31|17|31|31
Leer|Low Kick|Seed Bomb|Sucker Punch

Zekrom is up next and that will be way easier ;;

EDIT:

644.png

cherishball.png
Zekrom
Teravolt|lvl. 100|Naughty|
31|31|31|31|31|30
Bolt Strike|Fusion Bolt|Haze|Outrage
Non Redis

This is like my fastest RNG ever lol

Last edited:

loucas

100% hot
Years
oops, don't have my SID for HG and SS, ha ha

goona try to do the challenge. :)

done with my

150.png

Mewtwo Lv. 70
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31, 25, 31, 31, 30, 31
Moves: Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, Electro Ball​

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Cleared out my 5th gen wondercards on Black and White today... and I did a BP on white. This is my haul...

016.png
494.png
016.png

Victini ♁ Lv. 50
OT: Movie14 | ID: 12031
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Victory Star
IVs: 31, 31, 31, 31, 31, 2 Ice 70
Moves: V-create, Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, Searing Shot
Non-Redis

016.png
644.png
016.png

Zekrom ♁ Lv. 100
Ability: Teravolt
Moves: Bolt Strike, Fusion Bolt, Haze, Outrage
Non-Redis

016.png
150.png
016.png

Mewtwo ♁ Lv. 70
IVs: 31, 0, 31, 31, 31, 31 Dragon 68
Non-Redis

004.png
636.png
004.png

Larvesta ♂ Lv. 1 ★
OT: Scotty | ID: 4730
Ability: Flame Body
IVs: 30, 2, 31, 31, 30, 30 Rock 70
Moves: Ember, String Shot, Morning Sun, ***
Non-Redis

Enough 5th gen RNG for now. Keep up the great RNGs everyone and don't forget that the challenge expires in less than six hours now!

EB

Re: World
Years
Just another 'mon for my party ^-^:

Bag_Net_Ball_Sprite.png
616.gif
Bag_Net_Ball_Sprite.png

Shelmet
female.png
| Level: 30
OT: eb | ID: 46682 | Game: White
Nature: Modest | Ability: Shell Armor | 31 31 31 31 31 31
EVs: Untrained | HP: Dark - 70
Struggle Bug | Mega Drain | Yawn | Protect
Non-Redis

=​

I think I might start abusing Gen4 soon; any tips to keep myself from ripping my hair out?

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Just another 'mon for my party ^-^:

Bag_Net_Ball_Sprite.png
616.gif
Bag_Net_Ball_Sprite.png

Shelmet
female.png
| Level: 30
OT: eb | ID: 46682 | Game: White
Nature: Modest | Ability: Shell Armor | 31 31 31 31 31 31
EVs: Untrained | HP: Dark - 70
Struggle Bug | Mega Drain | Yawn | Protect
Non-Redis

=​

I think I might start abusing Gen4 soon; any techniques to keep myself from ripping the rest of my hair out?

You might need a tutor for that. Going from 5th to 4th can be difficult on your own... trust me, I know. I taught myself :( Also, love EonTimer... it is now your new best friend.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I'm getting down to the wire on this one, but clocking in still by the deadline.. *whew*.

First off, as I stated previously my goal for this challenge was a Porygon from the trophy garden. I felt it would be easy for my first wild RNG because of the lack of NPC's to mess up the frames on me. I also wanted this to be in a premier ball... I realized once I was facing it though.... that OOPS, I forgot my false swiper, and I only had one Premier Ball... but I still got it. Boy do I feel accomplished... Thanks for all the help everyone who helped me with this one. I think I still prefer breeding, but it's nice to know I can do the wild encounters now as well.

dpmfsa137.png

012.png
shiny.png
#137 Porygon ♁ (level 18)
012.png

OT:
2.png
RINGO ♂ (Diamond, 18496/26653)
Modest - Trace - 20/19/22/18/22/26 - Untrained
Sharpen - Psybeam - Agility - Recover

Hidden Power - Fighting 69

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm getting down to the wire on this one, but clocking in still by the deadline.. *whew*.

First off, as I stated previously my goal for this challenge was a Porygon from the trophy garden. I felt it would be easy for my first wild RNG because of the lack of NPC's to mess up the frames on me. I also wanted this to be in a premier ball... I realized once I was facing it though.... that OOPS, I forgot my false swiper, and I only had one Premier Ball... but I still got it. Boy do I feel accomplished... Thanks for all the help everyone who helped me with this one. I think I still prefer breeding, but it's nice to know I can do the wild encounters now as well.

dpmfsa137.png

012.png
shiny.png
#137 Porygon ♁ (level 18)
012.png

OT:
2.png
RINGO ♂ (Diamond, 18496/26653)
Modest - Trace - 20/19/22/18/22/26 - Untrained
Sharpen - Psybeam - Agility - Recover

Hidden Power - Fighting 69

Looks good -- congratulations. I had to think a bit about Porygon and Team Rocket, but in the original games it was a gift at the Rocket Game Corner and Bulbapedia notes that this could indicate possible Team Rocket involvement. Accepted ;)

I will be granting a three hour extension on this challenge in hopes that more people will be able to complete it! This challenge is up at 3am UTC-4 on March 12, 2012.

Last edited:

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Here's my challenge entry. Breeding in HGSS was pretty similar to DPPt. Trying a shiny one next time.

108.gif
004.png

Gaius (Lickitung) ♂ | Level 1 |
notshiny.png

Adamant | Own Tempo | 31 31 31 31 31 31
Lick | *** | *** | ***
Cyrene | 4014​

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
... ... ...Actually, I think I should do 18, not 19 (if my frame's 20). It's to prevent going too much if my Sweet Scent advances the frame by 2 instead of 1. Actually, if you encounter a wild Pokemon, would your current frame increase?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I managed to get the challenge done! I'm not certain whether or not it's on time, but I bred a Koffing. Non-shiny, flawless IVs, no interesting moves... So yeah, that's done! And I named it Jamesy <3 Still haven't managed to get to grips with rod abuse though - nothing bites even after trying what Greg said D:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
... ... ...Actually, I think I should do 18, not 19 (if my frame's 20). It's to prevent going too much if my Sweet Scent advances the frame by 2 instead of 1. Actually, if you encounter a wild Pokemon, would your current frame increase?

If you do that you won't get your Pokemon. Go to frame 19 then sweet scent.

I managed to get the challenge done! I'm not certain whether or not it's on time, but I bred a Koffing. Non-shiny, flawless IVs, no interesting moves... So yeah, that's done! And I named it Jamesy <3 Still haven't managed to get to grips with rod abuse though - nothing bites even after trying what Greg said D:

Sorry Ozzy, a bit too late :( I extended to 3am but you were about 3 and a half hours too late.

Challenge #3: RNG a Pokemon that gained an evolution/baby form in a future generation!

EDIT: Well, looks like I'm first this time xD Challenge completed!

004.png
41.png
004.png

Zubat ♀ Lv. 1
OT: Mac | ID: 36152
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus
IVs: 31, 31, 31, 0, 31, 31 Electric 59
Moves: Brave Bird, Tailwind, Roost, Super Fang
Non-Redis

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Looks good -- congratulations. I had to think a bit about Porygon and Team Rocket, but in the original games it was a gift at the Rocket Game Corner and Bulbapedia notes that this could indicate possible Team Rocket involvement. Accepted ;)

I was going by the plot line of "Electric Soldier Pokemon" as described on Bulbapedia:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP038

as well as the list of Pokemon used by Jessie as listed on Bulbapedia [Jessie being my favorite team rocket member].

Although since the episode was never aired outside of Japan, I do like your logic on allowing Porygon much better than using the episode plot line.

On to the third challenge...
Hmmm... Tough Choice... The Fairy Egg Group is my favorite, and many of them have gained a baby evolution later... Hmmm... So are we supposed to RNG the original Pokemon, or the baby form? I'm thinking between Pikachu, Cleffairy, and Chansey right now [even though I did a Chansey recently... I think I want to try to catch one with a Lucky Egg]

Question:
Is there a way to RNG a held item? Is this somehow related to encounter slots, or is this an aspect of RNG we can't predict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back