• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE NOW LEGAL IN NEW ZEALAND

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Brilliant! I feel happy for the people in NZ who have wanted this so long. Another step to equal rights for all.
However, not to be cynical, but does anyone else feel that Westboro will be idiots again and criticise New Zealand for this and say something like "you will all burn in hell!"?

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
just clearing things up

it's not formally legal but the bill has passed it's third reading which means it'll be announced and made legal very soon but yeah!!! rejoice!!!
the bill itself comes into effect around august

This means:
- same-sex couples can get legally married (not just civil unions, though these are still available to any couple of whatever sex/es) - it will be up to religious organisations to decide for themselves whether to offer same-sex marriage
- transgender people, who got married as their assigned gender but later want to officially change to their preferred gender, don't have to get a divorce as part of doing that, which they used to be required to do, which was pretty goddamn mean (it's not part of this law but we recently got a change meaning that you can change the gender listed on your NZ passport with a simple signed declaration, and you can choose 'X' instead of 'M' or 'F' if you prefer, which I think is A Good Thing)
- those same-sex married couples will be able to adopt children together if they want to

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I don't approve in such practice, I'm sory to say. I don't mean to critisize you all, but I hate such practices that becomes taboo in the world. It destroys the meaning of marriage. What I hope and pray is that the other nations wouldn't follow.

Years
Finally! Is it just me or is New Zealand far more free thinking than other countries? I'm pretty certain they were the first to let women vote too.

I can only hope that us Aussies will learn from our neighbours and finally put all this ridiculousness behind us, if two people love each other they should be allowed to marry no matter what their sexual orientation is. I hope that once again New Zealand will have set a trend in open-mindedness.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's fantastic! I'm so happy for New Zealand and I'm happy for you as well, Chris! <3 I only hope that other countries can follow in NZ's footsteps. :)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Though I don't 100% support homosexual marriage, I do support equal rights and others' rights to decisions like that (as long as they're not getting in my face about it lol). I'm glad New Zealand has made this decision overall. I know there are a lot of people who will benefit from this.

Also reminds me of the movie Milk.

Years
I don't approve in such practice, I'm sory to say. I don't mean to critisize you all, but I hate such practices that becomes taboo in the world. It destroys the meaning of marriage. What I hope and pray is that the other nations wouldn't follow.

....Russians denying people basic civil rights isn't anything new. Good to see that Moscow's propaganda is working and it's as autocratic and cruel as ever.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
This is great, happy to see another country that will allow gay marriage, if only the US would do the same, but Im sorry to say I doubt it will ever be legal everywhere in the US :(

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Not really a supporter of this but good to see equal rights going in the right direction I guess.

....Russians denying people basic civil rights isn't anything new. Good to see that Moscow's propaganda is working and it's as autocratic and cruel as ever.
This, on the other hand, is disgusting.

Years

Don't blame it on him coming from Russia, nor their government. It's always been conservative under Orthodox Christianity, and don't forget that many adhere to Islam as well. The Communists under the Soviet Union couldn't even kill religion, so I think that bears testament to the culture's currents. Communists, as you know, espouse equal civil rights for all people and view everybody with having the same dignity - but the Church and Stalin had their way. No propaganda is necessary for people to have old-fashioned views. In fact, Russian society is becoming more liberal all the time. It's no longer viewed as a mental disorder. The conflict you see between liberals and reactionaries okay conservatives (reactionaries is a bit strong) is largely due to the backlash against a liberalizing society. Russia being a democracy and Putin being a conservative politician, means political forces can piggy-back on the undercurrents of society. I think it's a generalization, but I tend to blame everything that goes wrong in a democracy on the people, instead of the government.

Years
Don't blame it on him coming from Russia, nor their government. It's always been conservative under Orthodox Christianity, and don't forget that many adhere to Islam as well. The Communists under the Soviet Union couldn't even kill religion, so I think that bears testament to the culture's currents. Communists, as you know, espouse equal civil rights for all people and view everybody with having the same dignity - but the Church and Stalin had their way. No propaganda is necessary for people to have old-fashioned views. In fact, Russian society is becoming more liberal all the time. It's no longer viewed as a mental disorder. The conflict you see between liberals and reactionaries okay conservatives (reactionaries is a bit strong) is largely due to the backlash against a liberalizing society. Russia being a democracy and Putin being a conservative politician, means political forces can piggy-back on the undercurrents of society. I think it's a generalization, but I tend to blame everything that goes wrong in a democracy on the people, instead of the government.

The Russian government has slowly slid back into throws of Autocracy for years now, and has gradually chipped away at civil rights, stepped up censorship, etc, and much of it is Putin's doing. Medvedev is/was just a puppet. Does Pussy Riot ring any bells?

Regardless, the world is trending towards marriage equality, and it's good to see New Zealand make progress. More countries would be wise to follow suit.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
How can people say they support equal rights when they're against gay marriage? Doesn't make much sense to me.... very hypocritical if I must say so myself.

It's so awesome to see New Zealand heading into the right direction. Marriage isn't a unification between a man and a woman; rather, it's the unification between two people who love each other and want to share that love with one another. I'm super happy for the people of NZ. :]

Support for marriage equality and the LGBT community has risen significantly within the past few years all across the world, and I hope that continues, and hopefully many other countries follow behind New Zealand's footsteps. :D

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Progress! I'm glad to see that it's passed nation-wide for New Zealand. It would be nice to see more countries following their lead, though it'll probably be a slow process. For now though, I'm happy for any LGBT New Zealanders!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
How can people say they support equal rights when they're against gay marriage? Doesn't make much sense to me.... very hypocritical if I must say so myself.
Well, not every people share your mentality. They grew up in different ways than you did.
Anyways, even if I'm not a big fan of homosexual marriage, I am happy that same-sex marriage has been approved. Gays deserves the rights to love themselves freely.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Well, not every people share your mentality. They grew up in different ways than you did.
Anyways, even if I'm not a big fan of homosexual marriage, I am happy that same-sex marriage has been approved. Gays deserves the rights to love themselves freely.

Even if you don't share my mentality, people shouldn't go around saying, "yeah, I'm all for equality except I don't really approve of gay marriage." I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but doesn't marriage equality make up a large component of equality in general? I was merely stating that people shouldn't be gloating that they're all for equality except don't approve of gay marriage, because it just makes those people seem like hypocrites and bigots.

Back