• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Has Generation VI come too quickly? Pokémon B/W was released in 2010 in Japan and three years later and we're moving onto the next generation. Should have Game Freak held it out a bit longer, or is it great that its coming so soon?

Years
It is rather soon after releasing B2 and W2, but is it too soon? I am not sure. There seems to be a hell of a lot of excitement surrounding these two games already, so maybe this will be what they need.​

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2022
No, I disagree. B&W2 was released for the DS long after the 3DS console was released. People have been itching for 3d Pokemon titles for a while now. Generation 5 & 6 are closer together than Nintendo would usually care to release, however in my eyes this is only a good thing.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Honest opinion? I couldn't wait till we moved onto a 6th generation (or Ruby / Sapphire remakes), because I just couldn't seem to get into Black and White very much at all. So, I welcome these new games with open arms.

In terms of the time frame, by the time X and Y are released, it would be a few months over 3 years since Gen V came out. When you look back at Gen II, it was exactly three years after when Gen III came out. So, as it may be soon in terms of Black 2 and White 2, it's definitely not too soon.

Plus, you do have to consider the 3DS has been out for a couple years now and GameFreak had yet to release a main title Pokémon game for the system until now. They had to have come out with something soon, and I guess 2013 seemed like a better year than any.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I don't think it's too soon. Even though Gen V felt rushed (oh bows down before the grave of generation V, until you four get remade again, adieu) I also felt like it was time to move on to new things. I even hoped that remakes would be delayed for goodness sake, that's how much I wanted to move on.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I have to say it did seem like it came out a bit fast because it felt like I just put down my W2/B2. I'm glad that they're moving on quickly because I was getting bored of having nothing to play on my 3DS (:P).

I think 3 years is enough time for one generation.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, generation-wise, not really. There's usually been a 3 year gap between every new generation, with a few exceptions, so it's the perfect time to release a new generation. But considering B2W2 just came out a few months ago, and considering people are highly anticipating R/S remakes, I think it may have been just a tad bit early. I don't mind though :p

Years
It is rather soon after releasing B2 and W2, but is it too soon? I am not sure. There seems to be a hell of a lot of excitement surrounding these two games already, so maybe this will be what they need.​

I think it did come a bit too soon, most generations usually lasted around 4 years so for it to be ending this year did come a bit unexpected. Well, I'm glad I got my 3DS just in time cos I knew they would make the next main series game a 3DS-exclusive.

It'll be a full year after B2W2 so I don't think its too soon at all.

I think Xander has a point here, it will be a year after Black 2 & White 2's release but I guess I'm now starting to think Generation 5 is close to Generation 2 as the shortest.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Ahh, it has been a year since B/W2 came out so it's not too soon, however if B/W2 had come out a few months ago it probably would be, but since it hasn't, definitely not too soon <3.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Too soon for my wallet. 3DS needs a Pokemon game, so there isn't any problem with it coming out this soon. What's a Nintendo handheld without a Pokemon game, right?

Gen V started one year after Gen IV ended (with the remakes), so it was about time I guess.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
While I'd have liked for B/W to last longer, I was really looking forward to Gen 6. I don't think it's too soon really. The Unova journey may have been short but it certainly packed a lot, which I think is what mattered. Plus the time for releasing on 3DS was looming and releasing B2/W2 on 3DS just wouldn't have been right tbh.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
B/W was a failure so no it's not too soon, it would have been better if they just skipped B/W. Loving the starters too, so I'm really looking forward to it.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I agreed its too soon. But I think It can't be helped anyway, since Generation 5 come out at the closing age of DS, so does BW2. I really hope they bring us a good storyline with this one as they did with BW.

Years
I don't think it's too soon at all. I've done B2/W2 main story line and I really can't be bothered doing much of the post game so yeah.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
From a consumer perspective: yes. It came rather quickly, and I'm not sure everyone will have played the previous ones by the time the new ones come out.

From a business perspective: no. 3DS needed some main series Pokemon games to give it a better lineup of games. You KNOW 3DS sales are going to be up now.

Back