• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Citra3DS able to boot Gates to Infinity

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
I've noticed that 3DS emulation has made huge steps forward. Citra3DS (emulator) was already able to run Ocarina of Time 3D near full speed back in January but back in March it was already able to boot Gates to Infinity.
This might be a huge surprise for people who have claimed for years that 3DS emulation would be impossible... What do you think about it?

If embedded video doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZZ4J2zU1YQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Oh, god we need this and fast! I need to play those 6th gen games. Yes, I'm poor as fak

Although is this one legit? Like is it really working?

Infinitum

Years
Oh, god we need this and fast! I need to play those 6th gen games. Yes, I'm poor as fak

Although is this one legit? Like is it really working?

It is in a way too early stage. Within a year we might get them at playable fps. But not now, the software renderer is not optimized for any system, however tfarley's openGL based one made improvements.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
It is in a way too early stage. Within a year we might get them at playable fps. But not now, the software renderer is not optimized for any system, however tfarley's openGL based one made improvements.

Yeah, considering decrypting codes from the 3DS Firmware is way more difficult than what they did with the NDS, and GBA consoles. I really hope we can get one running Nintendo has released many exclusive games for the 3DS that I really want to play! *craving intensifies*

Infinitum

Years
Yeah, considering decrypting codes from the 3DS Firmware is way more difficult than what they did with the NDS, and GBA consoles. I really hope we can get one running Nintendo has released many exclusive games for the 3DS that I really want to play! *craving intensifies*

Citra3DS will only run decrypted ROMs due to the 3DS' advanced encryption. This means piracy won't be an option for you, cause you need an actual 3DS to be able to patch/decrypt the games. However, there is some sort of workaround, but if I'd tell you that here.. they would call me a pirate.

Infinitum

Years
Cool, it seems to be progressing.
Very good, very good.

I heard that upscaling to 1080p is now possible. It was already possible but I've seen recent updates regarding the resolution.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
(it's not like Nintendo games run on 1080 xD)
Uh Satoshi...you do know what upscaling is, right?

Upscaling is when you take something that's a lower resolution than the target resolution and scale it to said resolution. Generally, this makes things look worse inherently (like playing a 360p game on a 1080p television, because everything is just stretched and the fidelity lowers), but when you upscale the internal resolution- which is what emulators generally have the capability of doing- the game's assets are scaled to said resolution, making a 360p game upscaled to 1080p look better than a 360p game on even a 360p display. If 3DS games (which I'll assume you were referring to) did run at 1080p, there would be very little use for upscaling save for those with 4K displays. There's downsampling but...eh, that's a different story for a different day.

This is a big deal with the Citra because the 3DS is far less limited in the 3D arena than the DS was (which is why it wasn't a big deal for that system and its emulators), and for 2D games it generally just stretches them because 2D fidelity doesn't increase with upscaling, internal or otherwise. It needs to be redrawn, or at least sharpened up. But upscaling's a huge point of interest in emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2, and even VBA and SNES emulators have options and filters to make games upscale more naturally.

And lemme tel

Infinitum

Years

Upscaling is when you take something that's a lower resolution than the target resolution and scale it to said resolution. Generally, this makes things look worse inherently (like playing a 360p game on a 1080p television, because everything is just stretched and the fidelity lowers), but when you upscale the internal resolution- which is what emulators generally have the capability of doing- the game's assets are scaled to said resolution, making a 360p game upscaled to 1080p look better than a 360p game on even a 360p display. If 3DS games (which I'll assume you were referring to) did run at 1080p, there would be very little use for upscaling save for those with 4K displays. There's downsampling but...eh, that's a different story for a different day.

This is a big deal with the Citra because the 3DS is far less limited in the 3D arena than the DS was (which is why it wasn't a big deal for that system and its emulators), and for 2D games it generally just stretches them because 2D fidelity doesn't increase with upscaling, internal or otherwise. It needs to be redrawn, or at least sharpened up. But upscaling's a huge point of interest in emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2, and even VBA and SNES emulators have options and filters to make games upscale more naturally.

And lemme tel

Not only it's possible of upscaling, attempt to actually change the rendering resolutions have also been made. They give the same effect as what DeSmume with the OpenGL X4 did. I'm doubting if upscaling or actual change of rendering resolutions would give a huge difference, considering the technical limitation of the 3DS. But I'm sure it would be a nicer gameplay experience then on the console.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

And lemme tel
I'm not even surprised you could produce such a tl;dr on one little part of the post but... it feels like you think that was the main point of my post...
What I wanted to say is "I don't give a crap about 1080p, just make it play games ASAP", is it more understandable now?

Infinitum

Years
I'm not even surprised you could produce such a tl;dr on one little part of the post but... it feels like you think that was the main point of my post...
What I wanted to say is "I don't give a crap about 1080p, just make it play games ASAP", is it more understandable now?

Of course compatibility and playability have higher priority then adding upscaling, controller support, Wi-fi connection and whatever other possible features. Even sound hasn't been implemented I think. But since the emulator needs contributors, people with technical knowledge (If I'm not wrong the man in charge of the project was one of the developers of Dolphin) but he alone can't make a whole emulator. If anyone has any knowledge regarding emulation and related stuff, then they should really help with Citra3DS!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I got it, and if you hadn't said "(it's not like Nintendo games run on 1080 xD)" I'd have left it alone. But that statement says a lot of things. A lot of things.

Back