• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X

Status
Not open for further replies.

link12552

decade club
Years
The download on your site is still 2.0.1 I believe. Or else I am clicking the wrong button. Which I wouldn't put past me xD

lol, your right let me fix that for you, now
-seems my server has cached the zip, so I have to clear the cache, shouldn't take 5 min

Edit: well it turns out that even though the server has the correct file on it, it still serves the old cached version even though I've cleared the cache.
So I'll attach the zip here

Edit: Okay renaming the zip seems to have done the trick, the website now has the correct version as well :)

Last edited:

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
I didnt mean to appear rude to you link12552, it was that I was excited about something that happened at the time.(My hack was not approved at the time and I was kind of mad since I spent a long effort on it) Thanks for the help! :)

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
Years
Not sure if this will get answered, if it's already been answered, or if this is just the wrong place to ask, but i'm having a little trouble. Is it possible to edit trainer back sprites using NSE? I know they are in bookmarks, I know how to import image + palette. My problem being that the back sprites all use the same palette offset, and though my images have been compressed (16 colors) when they are inserted into NSE the colors still mess up. What I think the problem is, is that each images palette is in a different order, so reds are swapped with greens and such. Is there anyway to remedy this? Or is there a simpler way of editing the back sprites altogether?

Also when tested the sprites are the wrong colors altogether xD please help.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
Not sure if this will get answered, if it's already been answered, or if this is just the wrong place to ask, but i'm having a little trouble. Is it possible to edit trainer back sprites using NSE? I know they are in bookmarks, I know how to import image + palette. My problem being that the back sprites all use the same palette offset, and though my images have been compressed (16 colors) when they are inserted into NSE the colors still mess up. What I think the problem is, is that each images palette is in a different order, so reds are swapped with greens and such. Is there anyway to remedy this? Or is there a simpler way of editing the back sprites altogether?

Also when tested the sprites are the wrong colors altogether xD please help.

What ROM are you using? NSE may not be writing the palettes in compressed format, and as such the junk colors you are seeing may be NSE loading the junk data.

Post the NSLx file of the resulting "bugged" sprite, as well as the sprite image file/NSLx you are trying to insert; I'll try to insert it and see if I have the same problem. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
I'm also, having a problem... I'm trying to edit the trainer bags in Emerald (US) back to their original palettes from Ruby Sapphire, I change the palette, save the data, It shows the offset save thing, I save it, I go to the game and they stay the same... I go back to NSE and check the sprites and they turned back to green.

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
Years
I've been studying the sprite and what I believe the problem is, is that the rom loads the old trainer palette rather than any than I have inserted. The rom is Fire Red.

Sprite in NSE (pre-loaded)
picture.php

Resulting sprite (in-game)
picture.php

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Is there a generic way people have been getting around this without the use of NSE? etc.

Many thanks,
Shadow.

link12552

decade club
Years
I'm also, having a problem... I'm trying to edit the trainer bags in Emerald (US) back to their original palettes from Ruby Sapphire, I change the palette, save the data, It shows the offset save thing, I save it, I go to the game and they stay the same... I go back to NSE and check the sprites and they turned back to green.

I've been studying the sprite and what I believe the problem is, is that the rom loads the old trainer palette rather than any than I have inserted. The rom is Fire Red.

Sprite in NSE (pre-loaded)
picture.php

Resulting sprite (in-game)
picture.php

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Is there a generic way people have been getting around this without the use of NSE? etc.

Many thanks,
Shadow.

Okay... so your pictures don't show, so I'll just have to guess what's going on lol

After you import a palette, in order to save it to the ROM, you must open the palette editor, and click "Save Palette to ROM"

SelectColor.png

You can either click the palette icon in the toolbar, and click the '+' or go Edit>Palette

Hope this helps :)

P.S. Don't be afraid of using NSE, it can do almost anything when you learn how use it to work with it

Edit:
I guess it may seem a bit counter intuitive to think that the "Save" button doesn't also save the palette.
In the next update I'll add a "Save Palette" button right in the menu!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
That solved my problem, thanks! It seemed a little inconvenient having the Save feature not save the palette.

link12552

decade club
Years
That solved my problem, thanks! It seemed a little inconvenient having the Save feature not save the palette.

Cool :cool:

Yeah, I guess it is a little strange... The reason it works that way is because I always imagined the image and palette data as two independent objects.
ie: You can load any 16 color sprite with any 16 color palette.

I guess I'll either make the current save button check for palette changes, or add a "save palette" button to the file menu.
I'm really too busy right now: between school and working on my game, I have no time!

rune_reaper

Black Rock Shootah
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
I'm having a palette trouble too with the Pokemon icons (the ones you see in the party). I've imported them, saved the image + palette, clicked on Save Palette to ROM, and when I go to the next one, the colors for that one get messed up. Then when I fix that one, the one I just did gets messed up. Is it the rom I'm using or is there a certain order?

I'm using a FireRed (U) rom (BPRE).

link12552

decade club
Years
I'm having a palette trouble too with the Pokemon icons (the ones you see in the party). I've imported them, saved the image + palette, clicked on Save Palette to ROM, and when I go to the next one, the colors for that one get messed up. Then when I fix that one, the one I just did gets messed up. Is it the rom I'm using or is there a certain order?

I'm using a FireRed (U) rom (BPRE).

There are only a handful of palettes that all of the icons share. If you edit one palette it'll effect many other icons that also used that palette. The Pokemon plugin that is shipped with NSE does not have the ability to change the palette index an individual Pokemon uses (although the function is really straight-forward and could be implemented in like 10 minutes)

The best thing you can do is to work with the default palettes. If Nintendo could do it, so can you!

P.S. I'm far too busy right now to add the function to the plugin. Next week when I'm in spring break I may look at it :)

Victory!

Psychic Pokemon Fan!
Years
What a stylish thread layout for a nameless tool! :P But seriously good job, can't wait to use this tool.
Thanks for making sprite editing easy!
~Victory

rune_reaper

Black Rock Shootah
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Oh yay~! Now this function would work with the pokemon sprites, icons, and trainer sprites, right?

link12552

decade club
Years
Oh yay~! Now this function would work with the pokemon sprites, icons, and trainer sprites, right?

Umm.. I don't think you understand...
The reason that the mini-sprites were getting messed was because the game only has 3 palettes to use for all of them. I've updated the plugin so you can switch the palette that the Pokemon's mini sprite uses.
I do not recommend actually editing the palettes.
Switch to the palette that you think will best fit your sprite, and use the colors it provides.

PokemonPlugin2.png

Anyways attached is the updated plugin.

P.S. I've decided today will be an NSE work day, so expect an NSE update in the next couple days!

P.S.S What would you or other's think if I implemented a "recycle bin" into NSE?
Elaboration: Currently, when you re-point a sprite, the old sprite remains in your ROM.
The "recycle bin" would flag these certain portions of your ROM as able to be recycled. You could then open a window and choose which regions, with a preview of their content, you want to delete. Thus freeing up ROM space!

Now if I do this I'll have to come up with a "Project" file type, I'm thinking It'll just be XML, anyone have any ideas?

P.S.S.S
I"ll probably get a plugin manager added while I'm at it...

rune_reaper

Black Rock Shootah
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Ah, I have another inquiry. Are trainer sprite palettes individual or are they all shared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back