• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Hyetology

Do you mind corrupted music (I'll fix it later)?

• No - I mute VBA's volume anyway

Votes: 664 55.6%
  • No - I can deal with it for now

Votes: 263 22.0%
  • Yes - I won't play if the music is corrupted

Votes: 54 4.5%
  • Yes - It'll kinda ruin it for me :/

Votes: 213 17.8%

• Total voters

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Pokémon Hyetology

Pokémon Hyetology

DOWNLOADS:
Beta v1.0-3
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4wfd1rwbfalxpjh

Beta v1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/?541dqe8i5je8gm5

Beta v1.2 (NEW 3/18/13)
http://www.mediafire.com/?1any7y2kyglgg76

Requires tsukuyomi and a clean Emerald ROM. Even if you already have an Emerald ROM you use for hacks, download a new one. Someone had a problem with the checksum, and downloading a new ROM fixed it, I dunno why.

Introduction:
Welcome to Pokémon Hyetology -- the darkest hack yet!

IntroOfDarkness.png

And that's only the title screen.

Setting:
Pokémon Hyetology takes place in the Angelos and Gotham regions of the Scimetri nation; a place renowned for having the strongest Pokémon Trainers on Earth.

The Angelos region is composed of three different biomes, and as in real life, three different social classes. Tiles are different in each section to represent their biome/social class. The Gotham region is more stable in its environments, and is generally higher class, so there's less distinction.

Story:

Black Mesa, a worldwide organization, has just announced its newest product, Zydrate, which it claims is a painkiller for Pokémon. The drug quickly becomes popular and is a huge success.

Meanwhile, the International Police has been investigating the mysterious deaths of countless Pokémon around the world. Although the investigation was kept under wraps for awhile, people are beginning to take notice. Some people even believe the deaths are beneficial, however many others do not.

Thus begins your story.

Today is the day you start your journey to become the Champion. But you're not alone -- many other people have that ambition as well. Among them is a boy named Fatal, your very arrogant neighbor and constant competitor.

Everything is going well, until you walk outside: There are four dead Pokémon and a man. It's a crime scene. The man comes over, and asks if you've seen anything. He then introduces himself as Cole Phelps. Phelps explains that he is currently looking into the unexplained deaths of Pokémon in the Scimetri nation. He asks for your cooperation in the matter, but advises you to keep the investigation a secret from everyone else.

Features:
  • All new maps, scripts, Gym leaders, miscellaneous trainers.
  • Very little sound corruption thanks to: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=217054
  • Zero connection to any mainstream Pokémon game (no cameos of characters such as Prof. Oak)
  • No "standard" Pokémon events such as (that I, personally, think are boring and overused):
  • ---Involvement with legendary Pokémon.
  • ---A professor giving you your first Pokémon.
  • ---Tutorials about basic things everybody knows already.
  • ---An evil team with no motive besides world domination.
  • HILARIOUS references (the lowest form of writing ;D) to television shows, movies, songs, books, video games, and U.S. history.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

VIDEO TRAILER:

Credits:
Mostly everything: Me
Tiles/palettes/sprites: WesleyFG, Gamefreak
Chell sprite: CherushiMetsumari on DeviantArt.

Progress:
Mapping - 90%
Scripting - 45% (I've been really busy with school, and mapping requires no thought so I did that first :P)
Spriting - I guess 100% I don't really focus on that

Release Date:
August 24, 2012

IF YOU LIKE THIS GAME, USE A BANNER
Banner 1:
TempSig2.png

Code:
[PLAIN][URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=279155][IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/hinkpink/TempSig2.png[/IMG][/URL][/PLAIN]

Banner 2:
7acbad7298.png

Code:
[PLAIN][URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=279155][IMG]http://i2.lulzimg.com/7acbad7298.png[/IMG][/URL][/PLAIN]
By qaz015393. Thanks!

Simply copy and paste to use!

Last edited:

xxScarletDragonxx

Food Lover
Years
LOL Gotham, Cole Phelps, and Left 4 Dead? Awesome and humorous. xD
I like that fact that you could choose what you wanted to say instead of the standard "yes or no". The story line is unique too. I'd actually rather be a Pokemon detective, then Pokemon champion. But that's my opinion. lol

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Nice to see a new hack on here, an emerald one too.
I like the strory, especially about the new drug that removes evolution pains, very good and different idea. You could build on the story more though, the screens are nice here is my opinion...

FatalScreen.png

Rivals OW is nice :)
Map is abit plain though, maybe add some more shrubs and trees.

KokiriScreen1.png

That building to the left looks incredible! But you need to fix the fence.

Screen3-1.png

Nice, but the grass should be more patchy so it looks natural.

Screen8-1.png

Eh, this screen looks weird, the way you have set out the houses i think..

Screen1-1.png

Nice, I like that u used different trees and the snow.

Screen4-1.png

Cool cave tiles, I havn't seen them before, also the ladder is nice.

Screen5-2.png

Abit plain? Needs to be more natural looking.

Screen6-1.png

ScaryScreen.png

Route15Screen.png

All nice :)

GreenwichScreen.png

Once again its very plain, also the gyrados statue is poorly inserted, Ive used the palkia one myself so I no its hard but just take your time, its worth it.

GothamScreen.png

Route12Screen.png

Both very nice :)

I hope this helped you out, unless you already noticed the things I pointed out, but good luck and I'll be watching your progress.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Greetings friend. I'm Cave Johnson, CEO of Aperture Science. You might know us as a vital participant of the 1968 senate hearing on missing astronauts, and you've most likely used one of the many products we invented but other people have somehow managed to steal from us. Black Mesa can eat my bankrupt...

:D

hinkage

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Thanks for the positive comments :D

And Kebbles, you make good points... Although I would have ended up doing those things myself (except for the Gyrados statue. I think it looks fine as is).

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Your thread makes you seem kinda cocky..

That aside, your screenshots show some mapping and a few new tiles. The trees you got from B/W don't match the palette of the grass tiles well, so you should consider changing that.

I really like the storyline because it adds more maturity and uniqueness to it. Otherwise, I don't see any eye-popping/interesting screenshots, as there are no scripts or events you've showcased. It looks like you threw together a few quick maps, added some trees and snapped a picture.. Even a signpost or dialogue would be nice :-)

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Although the story and ideas seem very good, your screenshots are disappointing. None of the palettes match, and the tiles are all strewn around from different games and styles, which distracts from your obvious intention of having a great storyline. You might want to try the basic firered tiles if you can't insert very well, or a rombase.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
People are just way too picky on here. I think, for the most part, that the tiles are good(Except the trees...It doesn't match the grass at all.) You say July 20, 2012 as a release date. But is it a full release or a beta? Either way, I'm interested. Hope everything goes well.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
People are just way too picky on here. I think, for the most part, that the tiles are good(Except the trees...It doesn't match the grass at all.) You say July 20, 2012 as a release date. But is it a full release or a beta? Either way, I'm interested. Hope everything goes well.

"Pickiness" is what makes a hack good.

You can't just throw some random crap together, program some text and expect for people to enjoy your hack. It takes work. LOADS of work. We're criticizing hinkage's hack because we want it to get better and become a good hack. Without constructive criticism, I know my hacking skills never would have improved. I don't mean to be rude or elitist or anything, but it's my opinion. And you're entitled to yours.

And hinkage, you might want to reconsider your first post. I can help you with it if you wish, but coming out and saying "I'm bad at making good threads" isn't going to help. ;)

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Thanks for the positive comments :D

And Kebbles, you make good points... Although I would have ended up doing those things myself (except for the Gyrados statue. I think it looks fine as is).
No worries :) I didn't mean to sound rude or nuthin..
I just think that everything should be perfect and the highest standard quality.
For example, I've been working on Galaxy Elements for 3 months now and I've only just finished the starter event, only because I've put alot of time into it and in the end it pays off. But good luck hinkage :) and if you need a hand just PM me, i'll be free in a week or two.
*Oh and the statue, its not up to my standard but this is your hack and how you make it is all up to you :)

No we arent being picky..
We are trying to help, everything i posted the other day was so that hinkage would fix all the problems, how is that being picky? There is alot more errors then just the trees, be honest with hinkage, thats what he needs, not people lying to him and sucking up to him. Wouldn't you want someone to tell you if something was wrong with yourself, for example your hair was messy, if someone told you it was messy then you could fix your hair lol but if people are saying na na your hair looks good, when it really doesnt, well then you just look like an idiot for walking around with funny hair lol.
Oh yeah what is the go with the release?

"Pickiness" is what makes a hack good.

You can't just throw some random crap together, program some text and expect for people to enjoy your hack. It takes work. LOADS of work. We're criticizing hinkage's hack because we want it to get better and become a good hack. Without constructive criticism, I know my hacking skills never would have improved. I don't mean to be rude or elitist or anything, but it's my opinion. And you're entitled to yours.

And hinkage, you might want to reconsider your first post. I can help you with it if you wish, but coming out and saying "I'm bad at making good threads" isn't going to help. ;)
Totally agree with you there teejermiester.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2015
cool,has been a long time since last emerald hack
looking forward to it :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 9, 2023
Played your last hack and it had clever dialogues, looking forward to this one.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
No worries :) I didn't mean to sound rude or nuthin..
I just think that everything should be perfect and the highest standard quality.
For example, I've been working on Galaxy Elements for 3 months now and I've only just finished the starter event, only because I've put alot of time into it and in the end it pays off. But good luck hinkage :) and if you need a hand just PM me, i'll be free in a week or two.
*Oh and the statue, its not up to my standard but this is your hack and how you make it is all up to you :)

No we arent being picky..
We are trying to help, everything i posted the other day was so that hinkage would fix all the problems, how is that being picky? There is alot more errors then just the trees, be honest with hinkage, thats what he needs, not people lying to him and sucking up to him. Wouldn't you want someone to tell you if something was wrong with yourself, for example your hair was messy, if someone told you it was messy then you could fix your hair lol but if people are saying na na your hair looks good, when it really doesnt, well then you just look like an idiot for walking around with funny hair lol.
Oh yeah what is the go with the release?

Totally agree with you there teejermiester.

You're absouletly right. I'm probably going off my previous experience with my old hack which had alot of negative comments and strong critism. So I understand how it feels for ppl to point out what they consider a "problem" with your hack, when you think it looks cool. But it was those comments that made me start over and redo the hack. Now that I did, it looks and plays better much better than my old one. So I guess it does take ppl to point out all of the problems for you to improve your work. However, it just sucks when You personally like what you inserted into your hack, when others who will play it, don't. Alot of people on here try to make the most "Perfect", "Greatest quality" hack ever. Maybe hinkage Likes the tiles he inserted and doesn't see them as a problem. Say if he decides to keep them...If so, You won't play the hack when it's finished? lol

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
You're absouletly right. I'm probably going off my previous experience with my old hack which had alot of negative comments and strong critism. So I understand how it feels for ppl to point out what they consider a "problem" with your hack, when you think it looks cool. But it was those comments that made me start over and redo the hack. Now that I did, it looks and plays better much better than my old one. So I guess it does take ppl to point out all of the problems for you to improve your work. However, it just sucks when You personally like what you inserted into your hack, when others who will play it, don't. Alot of people on here try to make the most "Perfect", "Greatest quality" hack ever. Maybe hinkage Likes the tiles he inserted and doesn't see them as a problem. Say if he decides to keep them...If so, You won't play the hack when it's finished? lol

If he does like them and decides to not change anything, I won't hold anything against him. I'm just giving him my opinion and it's his choice whether or not to take it into concern. I'll still most likely play the hack. I just wont enjoy it as much as I would with the fixes we are proposing.

hinkage

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Why are we doing this here LOL

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Why are we doing this here LOL

Good point.

Something actually about the hack, are we going to learn anything about the region? You mentioned it once or twice, but you don't have a picture or anything that we can reference, nor any town info or gym leader, character, etc. I think that would make this thread a lot better.

hinkage

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I'd have said arrogant.
Anyway the tiles don't work well together, since they're n different styles.

The B/W trees are never near the other trees, so you don't actively see the difference in-game. If you mean with the buildings, well, I'm sorry but I don't have enough tileset/palette space to add them on most maps.

Good point.

Something actually about the hack, are we going to learn anything about the region? You mentioned it once or twice, but you don't have a picture or anything that we can reference, nor any town info or gym leader, character, etc. I think that would make this thread a lot better.

I'll update this thread a lot as soon as I have time. I rushed tbh.
Also, yes. I'm adding books Skyrim-style that you can read and learn about events/the region/characters.

XXVIII

Romhacker Wannabe
Years
Wow another new hack on the rise. Just a question on the date you set, will you release the final version or a beta? By the way good luck with your hack.

Back