• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
You could just use the Move Event option and select Change Graphic from one of the options.

ah, but that would be changing it through an event. I need a way to do it in a script, unfortunately.

although if that's how you'd do it through an event, I suppose the script-editing way would be fairly similar. hmmm. time to investigate~*~

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Is this the same for both Male and female players?
The number in the file name is the trainer class number. Typically 000 and 001 are the male and female players respectively.

There's a brief description of this at the end of the "Global metadata" section of the wiki page about Players.

Can I be able to have 2 different storage systems and have one un-usable until I activate a certain switch then I deactivate another switch at the same time to make the first one un-usable until I activate that switch again?

(Sorry if your head hurts after trying to read this?)
You mean you want regional Pokémon storage?

It's a bit tricky, and involves knowing exactly what you're doing. Basically, when you start a new game and the storage variable $PokemonStorage is initialised (in PokemonLoad), copy that line and make a new storage variable for each region (e.g. $PokemonStorageKanto, $PokemonStorageJohto). Remember to also edit PokemonSave similarly, so that it saves these extra storage variables when you quit the game.

When you go from Kanto to Johto, first copy $PokemonStorage to the variable storage $PokemonStorageKanto, then copy $PokemonStorageJohto to $PokemonStorage. Also, before doing this, force the player to deposit all their Pokémon, and afterwards, force them to withdraw at least one Pokémon (unless there are none to withdraw, in which case you're new to the region and you should go see the Professor for a starter). All of this can be done in events.

That's just a brief overview of what's needed. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it. It can get a little tricky making sure all the region transfers (e.g. boats, trains) decide correctly which storage systems to shuffle around.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
is there a way to edit the graphic of an event through a script? I am like, totally baffled as to how you'd do this :(
If you figure it out, please tell me. I looked into this quite a bit before, but found no way to do it. I was building a secret base system, which is mostly functional, but monstrous, that could have been done better with that ability. Using events makes it incredibly challenging to work with.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
if !pbMapInterpreterRunning? &&
!moving? && !@move_route_forcing && $PokemonGlobal
if $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 8 : 5.2
elsif pbCanRun?
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 6.5 : 4.8
else
@move_speed = $RPGVX ? 4.5 : 3.8
end
I've done this long ago.

What does the first byte even mean? It seems like there's no difference n matter what I change the left numbers too, it doesn't change anything. I even tried 637.0 and nothing.

Also, for those who are interested, the below code fixes the glitch that allows the running shoes in water:

Code:
def update
if !pbMapInterpreterRunning? && 
    !moving? && !@move_route_forcing && $PokemonGlobal
 if $PokemonGlobal.bicycle
   if moving?
  @move_speed = $RPGVX ? [B]8 : 5.2[/B]
else
  @move_speed = $RPGVX ? [B]8 : 5.2[/B]
  end
elsif pbCanRun?
  if $PokemonGlobal.surfing
  @move_speed = $RPGVX ? [B]4.5 : 3.8[/B]
  else
  @move_speed = $RPGVX ? [B]6.5 : 4.8[/B]
    end
elsif $PokemonGlobal.surfing
 else
 end
end
If anyone wonders why that extra code block for if the bikes moving is even there, it's because I was attempting to add acceleration(to no avail).

Edit: Forgot my question. How can I retrieve the value for a Pokemon's happiness within an event? I've been trying to get that working for a long time.

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Does anyone know how to manually enter a name for the main character?
By manually, do you mean the player or you yourself? If you're wanting to predefine the name, use this:
pbTrainerName("ASH"), otherwise just use pbTrainerName.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
If you figure it out, please tell me. I looked into this quite a bit before, but found no way to do it. I was building a secret base system, which is mostly functional, but monstrous, that could have been done better with that ability. Using events makes it incredibly challenging to work with.

noooo, I was hoping you'd know how to do it. SIGH. time to ACTUALLY investigate, I suppose!

...jfc I can't even work out how to create a dependent event from a script. UGH WHERE DID ALL MY SKILLS GO, THIS SUCKS BALLS.

Last edited:
Years
By manually, do you mean the player or you yourself? If you're wanting to predefine the name, use this:
pbTrainerName("ASH"), otherwise just use pbTrainerName.

Thanks! It was the first one, I wanted to enter a predefined name.

ashthebest10

Creator of Pocket Monsters
Years
WHEN A WILD POKEMON APPEARS (OR TRAINER) AND THEY MOVE FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN (THEY ARE SHADED) I WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED THEY MOVE. PLEASE HELP IVE ASKED OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
WHEN A WILD POKEMON APPEARS (OR TRAINER) AND THEY MOVE FROM THE LEFT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN (THEY ARE SHADED) I WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED THEY MOVE. PLEASE HELP IVE ASKED OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Yeah, asking over and over to get your answer isn't helpful. Just wait at least until a new page appears before posting the message again as it's gets irritating seeing it more than once each page. And no one will answer you if you post like that, which pretty much 8% of the game dev area know how to script so wait until someone finds the answer.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years

Thank you.
I got an answer for you.

Script: PokeBattle_ActualScene

Code:
  @sprites["enemybase"].x+=4
  @sprites["playerbase"].x-=4
  @sprites["shadow1"].x+=4
  @sprites["shadow3"].x+=4 if @sprites["shadow3"]
  trainersprite1.x+=4
  trainersprite2.x+=4 if trainersprite2
  @sprites["player"].x-=4
  @sprites["playerB"].x-=4  if @sprites["playerB"]
  pbGraphicsUpdate
  pbInputUpdate
  break if @sprites["enemybase"].x>=224
You need to change every one of the '=4's to another number (I reccomend 6, do NOT use odd numbers)

Now reposting my question since it was an edit and probably got missed:
How can I retrieve the value for a Pokemon's happiness within an event? I've been trying to get that working for a long time.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
so I think I've made a minor breakthrough and discovered where in the scripts it handles changing an event's graphic. MAYBE. unfortunately, I can't make heads nor tails of it! uhhh I've highlighted the bits that look promising, if anyone wants to help me decipher this~

Spoiler:

sob this is so difficult, BUT I PROMISE IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END. if I can manage to work out the rest of this ~mystery~ script (and I'm SO CLOSE, this is like one of the final parts ughhhh), I'll be posting it in the tutorial section and I'm sure it will be super helpful for people :)

**** YES I DID IT!!!!! BRB FINISHING THIS SCRIPT

edit: sigh and then of course three hours later I run into an obvious problem. anyone know how to save/load a dependent event?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Anyone know the quickest way to achieve this effect?
I would be very grateful if someone gives me some pointers

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Anyone know the quickest way to achieve this effect?
I would be very grateful if someone gives me some pointers

Set up a switch to activate a graphic to turn on when night comes and to turn off during the day, I know this doesn't decribe it to clearly but if your an expirenced rmxp and Essentials user you'll understand maybe someone else will better explain it for you. But I know it works Ive done it.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
in the scripts(F11), anybody know how i'd go about checking if a Pokémon can evolve, or is the final evolution from the pokemon.txt?

creating a script in PokemonScreen, just in case you need to know.

@jefelin: i'm pretty sure, that comes under the outsidelight effect...

check the pokemon essentials notes, press CTRL+F, write "light" and click "find"
the notes have helped me out ALOT and pokemon wiki has alot to help you with too... in any case

create a new event (where the window should be) name this new event "Light" and this will turn itself on, during night, and off during day or "OutdoorLight" which i'm sure you should only use for lamposts and any other light source which the lighting dims during time of day... unless thats the effect you are going for...

hope this helps.

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
so I think I've made a minor breakthrough and discovered where in the scripts it handles changing an event's graphic. MAYBE. unfortunately, I can't make heads nor tails of it! uhhh I've highlighted the bits that look promising, if anyone wants to help me decipher this~

Spoiler:

sob this is so difficult, BUT I PROMISE IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END. if I can manage to work out the rest of this ~mystery~ script (and I'm SO CLOSE, this is like one of the final parts ughhhh), I'll be posting it in the tutorial section and I'm sure it will be super helpful for people :)

**** YES I DID IT!!!!! BRB FINISHING THIS SCRIPT

edit: sigh and then of course three hours later I run into an obvious problem. anyone know how to save/load a dependent event?
What exactly do you mean by saving/loading dependent events? Did you create your own dependent event system? As far as I know, they save just like any other event (not that I have a lot of experience with them though).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Quick and probably easy question for someone to answer. I need to change the font color of the HP, and Pokemon's name during a battle to white, how can I accomplish this? Thanks for the help!

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
You mean you want regional Pokémon storage?

It's a bit tricky, and involves knowing exactly what you're doing. Basically, when you start a new game and the storage variable $PokemonStorage is initialised (in PokemonLoad), copy that line and make a new storage variable for each region (e.g. $PokemonStorageKanto, $PokemonStorageJohto). Remember to also edit PokemonSave similarly, so that it saves these extra storage variables when you quit the game.

When you go from Kanto to Johto, first copy $PokemonStorage to the variable storage $PokemonStorageKanto, then copy $PokemonStorageJohto to $PokemonStorage. Also, before doing this, force the player to deposit all their Pokémon, and afterwards, force them to withdraw at least one Pokémon (unless there are none to withdraw, in which case you're new to the region and you should go see the Professor for a starter). All of this can be done in events.

That's just a brief overview of what's needed. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't do it. It can get a little tricky making sure all the region transfers (e.g. boats, trains) decide correctly which storage systems to shuffle around.

sorry if I seem slow, but, how would someone who is slightly inexperienced in scripting accomplish this?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Quick and probably easy question for someone to answer. I need to change the font color of the HP, and Pokemon's name during a battle to white, how can I accomplish this? Thanks for the help!
In PokeBattle_ActualScene look around starting on line 995. All of the fonts are defined there, and their names are fairly self-explanatory. Hopefully you know how to set RGB values well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back