• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-Game Team Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
IN-GAME TEAM QUESTIONS
Basically, we have been getting a lot of threads regarding minor questions that aren't for competitive battling. Here you may ask questions such as "Which Pokémon (or move, held item, etc.) should I use?" and "Any tips on defeating this Gym Leader?" Teams that don't include movesets will be moved here, as well as those that are not close to being finished. This thread is pretty much the in-game equivalent of the Simple Q&A Thread in the main section of CBC.

— Be sure to follow all In-Game Team Help Rules.

— Use the main forum's Simple Q&A Thread for questions regarding competitive battling.
However, questions concerning Battle Subway/Frontier/Tower teams belong here.

— Don't ask for an entire team.
14.png

We will help to complete and perfect partially finished teams, but we aren't going to make whole teams.

— Don't post entire teams.
Use the forum for that; this thread is for any other help you need about in-game teams. It's perfectly fine to ask for team building advice here, but if you already have a mostly complete team, just post a thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 23, 2012
So, where should I start when making an In-Game White team?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm having a Problem beating Morty so where is the best place to train a level 17 Eevee? I'm wanting to evolve it into an Umbreon because Morty's Gengar won't be able to attack me because hes dark.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So, where should I start when making an In-Game White team?

Early on you only really need one or two Pokemon, but the diverse Pokemon tend to come in around Route 4, where you find the ground types etc. Take one of those, put it with your starter, etc and build from there. While the Pokemon in Pinwheel Forest are okay, they're just not useful early on - or in general really, unless you have no water type for Clay, then yeah you'll need a grass type from there. Just grind your starter (and monkey if you wanted) as much as you can 'til you get Route 4. So basically, if you have Tepig, you have a ground weakness (aka when it evolves), so you could go with Archeops, and then build around their weaknesses (something that'll resist water), if you have Snivy, then maybe Carracosta to resist fire/bug, or maybe even Darmanitan. If you have Oshawott, since you're weak to grass/electric, Darmanitan can help w/ grass, or Krookodile for electric.

But yeah I'd not really start considering about a team until there, since up to that point your starter should be able to get you through, with a few other extras from Pinwheel maybe.

I'm having a Problem beating Morty so where is the best place to train a level 17 Eevee? I'm wanting to evolve it into an Umbreon because Morty's Gengar won't be able to attack me because hes dark.

Well tbh the best place would be the next two routes going towards Olivine City. The Pokemon are around level 17, so it'll be a bit of a challenge at first, but you should be able to get it up to around 23 or so with that. Just remember to level it up at night and you'll be fine. :3

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Heart Gold team help?

I am starting a new Heart Gold game and I need some ideas for Pokemon. I want a team that I have never used before and would like recommendations for new Pokemon.

I am wanting to pick Chikorita because I believe Chikorita is way underrated. I have used and abused the other 2 starters and a lot of the Pokemon in the game. I have used Dragonite, both Nidoking and Queen, Arcanine, Gyrados, all Eevee evos, Pidgeot, Noctowl, Scizor, Ampharos, Bellossom, Magneton, Machamp, Gengar, Alakazam, Togetic/Kiss, and more but can't remember so could you guys give me advice on a new team.

I'm thinking
Meganium (female) I find that Chikorita looks more like a female Pokemon
Slowbro (never used Slowbro before and Slowbro is Psychic and Water)
Ariados (Ariados can take out two of its weakness which is Psychic type with Shadow Punch and Fire types with Dig) and I find Ariados underrated as well.

That's what I have so far. I know its not that good of a team and I would like to improve it. I haven't started the new game yet tho.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Steelix might be someone you can use, you get an Onix in a trade too so he'll be easy to train, although finding a Metal Coat can be a pain (use Thief on Magnemite or wait until you go to Kanto, or trade one over if you can). If you can wait for a while, Mamoswine is a nice option for a Ground mon.

Try using either Miltank or Tauros, they are very strong attackers and can learn pretty good moves.

For a flyer, there are a couple options. Crobat is prolly the best one, and Murkrom/Honchkrow is also good. You won't be able to evolve him until Kanto unless you trade a Dusk Stone over though. Skarmory is a late option too. (Only in SS).

Years
I'm having trouble deciding on a sixth pokemon for blue colour team, I'm doing it in White with hacked in pokemon, so far I have for my final party: Lucario, Alteria, Nidoqueen, Jumpluff and either Omastar or Lanturn. If anyone could make a suggestion I would be grateful

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2012
White Team (early)

Hi,

This is my first post here :P. I just started playing pokemon white after playing every other gen, and I just started. I am new to all these new pokemon and I was wondering whats a solid team for late game purposes. My team now:

-Dewott
-Darumaka
-Timburr
-Petilil
-Throh
-Sandile

I mainly was going for evolved pokemon :P

Jak

daяk εco frεak
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2014
Honestly what you have listed is quite balanced! Though I recommend taking the Throh off the team and maybe replace it with a Psychic type, like Solosis. It's slow and kinda blah at first, but you end up with a pretty bulky Reuniclus. But yeah, without future moveset info, it's hard to rate this team otherwise. What you have is balanced though, definitely. And all of them have great final evolutions, especially Timburr.

Oh, and keep the Petilil. ;)

Years
I'm having trouble deciding on a sixth pokemon for blue colour team, I'm doing it in White with hacked in pokemon, so far I have for my final party: Lucario, Alteria, Nidoqueen, Jumpluff and either Omastar or Lanturn. If anyone could make a suggestion I would be grateful

Please don't base your teams around certain colors, it gives you a severe lack in diversity with types.

The problem with Lanturn and Omastar is that you already have 2 weaknesses to Ground on your team. 3 Ground-weak Pokemon is a no-no. A good Water-type I shall recommend would be Jellicent cos it's bulky, has not-too-shabby Special Attack and learns good moves.

Altaria is very much lacking in offensive power, try using a Fire-type instead. I recommend Darmanitan or Chandelure.

Jumpluff is more defensive so this means it won't hit really hard. For a good offensive Grass-type, try Roserade or Breloom. Another much better defensive Grass-type would be Ferrothorn due to having a ton of resistances.

Having Jumpluff and Altaria on your team at the same time is bad cos that gives you 2 quad-Ice-weak Pokemon and Ice is a very popular type offensively. Having two Pokemon with a 4x Ice weakness definitely spells you trouble, especially against Brycen as well as N's Vanilluxe near the end of the main story. Try replacing them with any of the Grass-types I mentioned above and the other slot should go to Darmanitan or Chandelure cos a lot of Pokemon you will run into in Unova have Fire weaknesses. Darmanitan if you want a Physical attacker or Chandelure if you want a Special attacker.

Last edited:
Years
Hi,

This is my first post here :P. I just started playing pokemon white after playing every other gen, and I just started. I am new to all these new pokemon and I was wondering whats a solid team for late game purposes. My team now:

-Dewott
-Darumaka
-Timburr
-Petilil
-Throh
-Sandile

I mainly was going for evolved pokemon :P

You need someone who can critique your team... Hikari is your girl.

What's with you having two Fighting-types on your team? Don't you know type diversity?

Do you have someone to trade with? If you don't have someone to trade with to get Conkeldurr, then don't use Timburr and keep Throh.

For your sixth member, you should get yourself a Sigilyph. It's a nice Pokemon to use in-game cos of its high Special Attack and Speed. I definitely consider using it since Flying and Psychic is a department you are lacking in and you can catch them in the Desert Resort.

So, going with my Sigilyph suggestion, your team shall eventually be this...

503.gif
555.gif
549.gif
553.gif
538.gif
561.gif

Last edited:
Years
I know Darmanitan and Chandelure are good fire types, i'ved used them both on previous runthroughs, in fact I still have them on my Black, the thing is though i want to use pokemon I rarely use or not at all. Lucario I used in my first pearl runthrough but never since.

The reason I wanted a blue colour team is because I wanted a challenge, a well trained Lucario will have no problem taking care of my massive ice weakness, that said, I have been thinking of using Tangrowth instead of Jumpluff as it's more offensive, and Omastar or Lanturn would be my offence against flyers, and ground if I choose Omastar because of its bulky defence stat and another offence against ice, though I will think about using Jellicent, that seems like a good choice and will give me an offence against psychics.

Thanks for your suggestion but I really want to try a colour team and see how I get on, at least I'm not combining it with a Nuzlocke run... that would be a mojor pain.

Years
I know Darmanitan and Chandelure are good fire types, i'ved used them both on previous runthroughs, in fact I still have them on my Black, the thing is though i want to use pokemon I rarely use or not at all. Lucario I used in my first pearl runthrough but never since.

The reason I wanted a blue colour team is because I wanted a challenge, a well trained Lucario will have no problem taking care of my massive ice weakness, that said, I have been thinking of using Tangrowth instead of Jumpluff as it's more offensive, and Omastar or Lanturn would be my offence against flyers, and ground if I choose Omastar because of its bulky defence stat and another offence against ice, though I will think about using Jellicent, that seems like a good choice and will give me an offence against psychics.

Thanks for your suggestion but I really want to try a colour team and see how I get on, at least I'm not combining it with a Nuzlocke run... that would be a mojor pain.

I also have to warn you that you have a major Ground weakness to get around. Having Omastar and Lanturn together (along with Nidoqueen and Lucario) would effectively give you 4 Pokemon weak to Ground, and having a team that falls easily to a certain type is a no-no. Make sure you have their movesets planned. At least this isn't a Nuzlocke.

Years
I also have to warn you that you have a major Ground weakness to get around. Having Omastar and Lanturn together (along with Nidoqueen and Lucario) would effectively give you 4 Pokemon weak to Ground, and having a team that falls easily to a certain type is a no-no. Make sure you have their movesets planned. At least this isn't a Nuzlocke.

Yeah, I've taken the ground weakness into consideration and have chosen to take on training a Jellicent as my water type, luckily the only time I really have to worry about the ground type weakness is at Clay's gym (I know Team plasma can have sandile's + first evo, but they're not a problem) and the Elite four's krookodile but I think Lucario should be able to outspeed it if it's leveled enough.

I've also chosen to use a shiny Houndoom as my sixth pokemon for now (although it gives me another ground weakness) until I can think of something to replace it with.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2012
White Team Planning

So, lately I have wanted to pick up White again, so I did. With that, I chose Oshawott whom is now a Dewott with one Badge. I had a team planned, but I didn't like that one, and I'm still trying to make a new one. So I really need suggestions. Here is my progress so far...

Samurott @ Mystic Water
Torrent
Hasty
- Surf
- Razor Shell
- Mega Horn
- Ice Beam

So, yeah, I just really need suggestions...

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2012
Spore + Focus Punch for breloom?

Hi everyone, I have a level 22 shroomish who is close to leveling up, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to keep him from evolving until he learns spore, then give him the focus punch TM. I know a lot of people do that with their brelooms, and ideas wondering if I should do that, because maybe it would come in handy for the elite 4. Or would it not really be that worth it, and i could get along fine without doing that? By the way, I'm playing pokemon Emerald.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
give it substitute too, and sense theres a elite 4 member that uses ghost pokemon give it a grass type move too

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2012
But is it worth it? Because it seems like people use that moveset for competitive play against other people.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
But is it worth it? Because it seems like people use that moveset for competitive play against other people.

Well maybe but it doesn't have to be spore+punch. Most people have it on one with poison heal, but i used the same strategy on effect spore and it didn't seem that different so yeah it should be worth it

Years
Ok, I'm currently playing White and I'm doing good. I'm in the Cold Storage with team Plasma and my team currently looks like this:

Throh Lv23 (Remove or Train?)
Darumaka lv26 (Doing excellent)
Pansage lv29 (Maybe the best of the monkeys, waiting til lv43 to evolve)
Pignite lv26 (Doing good, but some pokemon in my party might be better)
Zebstrika lv29. (Performing really good, considering I only use him against types he's effective against, Rash Nature, 192 exp until lv30 btw)
Archen Lv29. (Was a bit sucky in his first few battles so I exp shared him until he learned Acrobatics, now he's performing great. I'm afraid of sturdy pokemon, though)

So that's my current team. Is this a good team to face the Gym with? I have a lv24. Vanillite in my PC. Also, I think having two Fire Types isn't going to work out too good for me. But I do plan on taking one of them to the Pokemon League. So which one do you all think I'm going to get more results out of later on? Darumaka or Pignite? Darumaka is hitting hard and OHKO'ing almost everything. Pignite is Flame Charging opponents to take them down in two hits, but with his average defense, he can take the hit harder than Darumaka can to win next turn. Which one to keep? Also, Throh isn't showing much results, Archen can basically do everything Throh can to a Pokemon that Throh's good against. (considering archen knows dig). So, I'm thinking about removing Throh later on for an Axew, and whichever fire type I remove (darumaka or pignite) I'll probably replace for a Cubchoo. Also, give me any other team suggestions you have (who else to take out and other good pokemon I should look to add in). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back