• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2011
Still haven't beaten Wallace or Winona.

Am currently playing Zelda on DS, which I got for Christmas, then I'll get back to my monotype challenge.

Phaux

Legend Hunter
Years
Alright, generation two time...

Game: Crystal
Name: Chris
Type: Fire
Badges: 8

Story so far:
Started with Cyndaquil, no nickname, started to grind on wild pokemon until level 12, got pokedex, evolved Cyndaquil into Quilava, beat rival, named him Matt, moved to Violet City, caught a Growlithe outside the city, beat the sprout tower, beat Falkner, proceeded to Azalea Town, beat the rockets out of the well, beat Bugsy, beat my rival, captured an Oddish and Hoothoot and Psyduck for HM slaves, saved infront of the odd egg in hopes of getting Magby, once I get it I move on to Goldenrod, beat all trainers around in the park and routes, get the school boy's number to get a fire stone, wait until I get one and evolve Growlithe into Arcanine, head to game corner, get enough coins to teach Arcanine Flamethrower, beat Whitney, move to Ecruteak, beat my rival, beat Morty, go to Olivine, get strength HM, travel up the light house, surf to Cainwood, beat Eusine, beat Chuck, go back to Olivine, beat Jasmine, travel to Mahogany Town, capture red Gyarados, use as HM slave instead of Psyduck, beat the rockets out of their hideout, Beat Pryce, go back to Goldenrod, beat rockets out of the radio tower, move on to Blackthorn, beat Clair, get the extremespeed Dratini, go back to New Bark, get waterfall HM, travel to and past Victory Road, beat rival, beat elite four effortlessly.

Team:
Spr_2c_157.gif

Typhlosion, Male, level 63
Moves:
Flame Wheel
Flamethrower
Iron Tail
Strength

Spr_2c_126.gif

Magmar, Female, level 64
Moves:
Flamethrower
Fire Punch
Dizzy Punch
Fire Blast

Spr_2c_059.gif

Arcanine, Male, level 65
Moves:
Flame Wheel
Bite
Flamethrower
Extremespeed

HM Slaves:
Spr_2c_130_s.gif

Surf, Waterfall, Whirl Pool

Spr_2g_163.png

Fly, Flash

Spr_2c_043.gif

Cut

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Update tiem~!
- Beat Koga
- Surfed to those islands... and caught Dewgong and Staryu
- Evolved Staryu to Starmie with Water Stone
- Beat TR in Silph
- Beat all trainers on the way between Fuchsia and Lavender/Vermilion
- Beat the fighting gym in Saffron
- Beat Sabrina

Team tiem~!

rbspr009.png

BADASS
Blastoise LV. 46
- Strength
- Rest
- Surf
- Dig

rbspr130.png

GANGSTA
Gyarados LV. 45
- Body Slam
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Rage

rbspr134.png

VILLAIN
Vaporeon LV. 42
- Bite
- Surf
- Toxic
- Bubblebeam
Vaporeon hasn't really been a very neccessary member of the team.. but I'm planning to teach it Blizzard once I find it on Cinnabar... where I think it is?

rbspr062.png

Poliwrath LV. 41
- Earthquake
- Hypnosis
- Submission
- Surf
I realized far too late that I shouldn't have taught SURF to Poliwrath. I could have had Body Slam or Psywave there instead.

rbspr121.png

Starmie LV. 40
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Swift
- Recover

rbspr087.png

Dewgong LV. 40
- Headbutt
- Growl
- Aurorabeam
- Surf

Phaux

Legend Hunter
Years
Hm, I seem to have encountered a bug in Crystal...

After beating Lt Surge, Sabrina, Erika, Misty, Janine, Brock, Blaine and Blue, I only have 15 badges, and traveling to every gym and talking to the leaders none of them tell me I need to do anything to get a badge, and do not offer me one, so it seems I am stuck and might have to restart, or use a cheat to get the last badge, which all are annoying...

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Hm, I seem to have encountered a bug in Crystal...

After beating Lt Surge, Sabrina, Erika, Misty, Janine, Brock, Blaine and Blue, I only have 15 badges, and traveling to every gym and talking to the leaders none of them tell me I need to do anything to get a badge, and do not offer me one, so it seems I am stuck and might have to restart, or use a cheat to get the last badge, which all are annoying...

on your trainer card, which one does it say you haven't beat? like you might have won, then forgot to save and turned it off? ive done it before.

Phaux

Legend Hunter
Years
EDIT: Nevermind, I haven't played in so long I forgot I was suppose to talk to Professor Oak...

Game: Crystal
Name: Chris
Type: Fire
Badges: 16

Story so far:
Arrived in Kanto, beat LT Surge, moved to Saffron and beat Sabrina, moved to Celadon and beat Erika, very easily of course, moved to Cerulean, went to the power plant, went back to get the machine part, took it back, went to beat Misty, then went to Brock and beat him, went to Lavander to get the expansion card for my radio and caught the Snorlax, beat Janine, then to Pallet Town to go south and defeat Blaine, then defeated Blue... Now on to Mt Silver...
Easily took out Pikachu with a flamethrower from Typhlosion, Arcanine's bite to take out Espeon, his Blastoise easily took out my Magmar, not after dizzy punch confused it, Typhlosion's strength finished off Blastoise, then his Snorlax who took out Arcanine just barely, took out his Charizard, and then easily dispatched his Venusaur.

Team:
Spr_2c_157.gif

Typhlosion, Male, level 74
Moves:
Flame Wheel
Flamethrower
Iron Tail
Strength

Spr_2c_126.gif

Magmar, Female, level 74
Moves:
Flamethrower
Fire Punch
Dizzy Punch
Fire Blast

Spr_2c_059.gif

Arcanine, Male, level 74
Moves:
Flame Wheel
Bite
Flamethrower
Extremespeed

HM Slaves:
Spr_2c_130_s.gif

Surf, Waterfall, Whirl Pool

Spr_2g_163.png

Fly, Flash

Spr_2c_043.gif

Cut

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
In this challenge, do you have to beat the Kanto leaders in GSC to be allowed to go on to Hoenn?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water
Book 1 Chapter 4: Bon Voyage Vermillion. Se la vi Lavender.

I arrived in Vermillion with my new Gyarados, got me pokemonz heald. Then I went to the SS Anne. Once Aboard I fought all the trainers with relative ease, the few who had a Pikachu were a little problem, only because of static. I found my way to my rival, easily destroyed his first two pokemon with a few bites and water pulses. Ivysaur gave me a bit of trouble. I switched into Wartortle, because he knows dig, but Ivysaur had to be a pain the you know what, and after I used dig, it used leech seed, I thought, whatevs, I can still kill it first, then it used sleep powder, and kept vine whipping me, and naturally, I stayed asleep for all 5 turns, and promptly died. Switched to Gyarados, used water pulse until confusion set in, then tackled it to death. Bit the Kadabra and it died in one hit. I rubbed the captain's back, apparently severe sea sickness is the easiest thing to cure, and got HM01 Cut. Went back to Vermillion, went east and caught a Spearow and a Drowzee. Traded Spearow for a Farfetch'd to be used as an HM slave for fly/cut. Drowzee will be used for flash and if possible, strength and rock smash.

I decided, despite the odds being against me, I would fight Lt. Surge, not like I have much choice, and I took down the trainers with ease, 1 dig owns all electric types. I unlocked the gate with relative ease, only took three tries, and battled Lt. Surge. Like I said 1 dig owns all electrics. Easy battle, got badge and shockwave, which probably won't be used until I get a Starmie.

I need to go and catch a few crap pokemon for my pokedex so I can get flash and be on my way to rock tunnel and Lavender town and beyond. With my newly acquired HM05 Flash, and my new-ish Drowzee I was ready to plunder the depths of Rock Tunnel. It proved to be easy, the only thing I had any amount of trouble with was a trainer who had three grass pokemon, once again making me fear Erika even more. But all in all it was a simple trip.

I made a hasty stop in Lavender Town, merely healing my pokemon and moving on to Celadon City. I scurried along the path fighting but one trainer, with no more than a Pikachu and a Clefairy, easily dealt with. I avoided all other combatants except for one super nerd, (terrible name for a person, in the library is it a geek? Is it a dork? No, Its SUPER NERD!!!! *woosh*) I then went trough another Underground Tunnel, and wound up in Celadon City, I ran to the back entrance of the Mansion and got an Eevee, named Gregory, he was promptly evolved into Vaporeon. I then went back to Lavender Town to face my rival.

Nothing exciting really yet, I beat my rival, had a bit of trouble with Ivysaur, but prevailed. More updates after I thrash Erika (hopefully) and rid Celadon of Team Rockets tomfoolery.

My Current Team:

gbc008.gif

Dennis
Lv. 34
Water Gun
Dig
Mega Punch
Bite

gbc130.gif

Gyarados
Lv. 31
Bite
Tackle
Water Pulse
Dragon Rage

gbc134.gif

Gregory
Lv. 26
Quick Attack
Helping Hand
Sand Attack
Growl

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Update: So, I made my first log, but it got spoiled as I found a typo, pressed backspace and found me going to General Pokemon Gaming forums. I'm at Cinnabar Mansion right now, I've got six badges as of yet.
Team Time!:
pkfrlg006.png

Avian, the Charizard
Adamant Natured
Level 39, Male
Known Moves:
~ Flamethrower
~ Brick Break
~ Aerial Ace
~ Mega Punch

pkfrlg018.png

Pigeon, the Pidgeot
Serious Nature
Level 36, Male
Known Moves:
~ Fly
~ Toxic
~ Steel Wing
~ Quick Attack

pkfrlg130.png

Splash, the Gyarados
Rash Natured
Level 35, Male
Known Moves:
~ Surf
~ Twister
~ Bite
~ Thunder Wave
pkfrlg012.png

Butterfly, the Butterfree
Hasty Natured
Level 35, Female
Known Moves:
~ Psychic
~ Psybeam
~ Sleep Powder
~ Giga Drain

Update: Now, I've got all the 8 badges and now heading to Victory Road.

Team Time!:
pkfrlg006.png

Avian, the Charizard
Adamant Natured
Level 44, Male
Known Moves:
~ Flamethrower
~ Brick Break
~ Aerial Ace
~ Earthquake

pkfrlg018.png

Pigeon, the Pidgeot
Serious Nature
Level 40, Male
Known Moves:
~ Fly
~ Toxic
~ Steel Wing
~ Quick Attack

pkfrlg130.png

Splash, the Gyarados
Rash Natured
Level 40, Male
Known Moves:
~ Surf
~ Fire Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Blizzard
pkfrlg012.png

Butterfly, the Butterfree
Hasty Natured
Level 40, Female
Known Moves:
~ Psychic
~ Psybeam (replacing with Silver Wind later)
~ Sleep Powder
~ Giga Drain

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2010
Right then time for a update i guess.
Got starter(Bulbasur) nicknamed Bulbo
Lost to rival :(
Won rival :)
Beat Brock(talk about a walk in the park)
Caught Paras nicknamed Frenchie
Bulbasuar evolved to Ivysuar
Won rival
Caught Oddish
Beat Misty(it just took a minute)
Oddish evoled into Gloom
Paras evoled into Parasect
Did the whole S.S.Anne
Beat rival :)
Beat Lt.surge(annoying Double Team <.<)
Team:
Ivysaur(Bulbo) Lv26
Tackle
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Razor leaf

Parasect(Frenchie) Lv25
Secret power
Stun Spore
Bullet Seed
Leech Life

Gloom (Solaris) Lv25
Absorb
Sleep Powder
Acid
Stun Spore

BTW,Alakazam you still have not chaned me into the grass type yet

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Update tiem~!
- Um... I surfed to Seafoam Islands and got through them
- Reached Cinnabar and got through Burned Mansion or what it's called -> great spot for training!
- Beat Blaine
- Went through the Pokémon League gate before I realized I hadn't beaten Giovanni yet...
- Went back to Viridian and beat Giovanni
- Will now go on to Victory Road!

Team Tiem~!

rbspr009.png

BADASS
Blastoise LV. 47
- Surf
- Rest
- Strength
- Dig

rbspr130.png

GANGSTA
Gyarados LV. 48
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Rage
Wayyyyyyyyyy too late I realized Gyarados didn't need SURF either. Fire Blast or something would be nice thar.

rbspr134.png

VILLAIN
Vaporeon LV. 47
- Surf
- Bite
- Toxic
- Blizzard

rbspr062.png

POLICE
Poliwrath LV. 45
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Hypnosis
- Submission
And surf here was ridiculous at some point. I wanted Psywave or something. Bah, dunno.

rbspr121.png

STALKER
Starmie LV. 47
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Swift
- Recover
Love it. Though I haven't used Recover much, but perhaps it'll come in handy in Pokémon League..

rbspr087.png

DOCTOR
Dewgong LV. 45
- Headbutt
- Aurora Beam
- Surf
- Rest

-----------------------------------

Final update~!
Region: KANTO
Version: BLUE
Type: WATER

Simply enough, I rammed through all the Viridian Gym's trainers and then beat Giovanni with VILLAIN's Surf and Blizzard.
I beat my Rival on the outskirts of Viridian with enough ease.
Victory road wasn't as long as I remember it (I haven't played Kanto for a long time!) and provided some good training for my pokés.
I bought way too many Max Potion and stuff, and entered Pokémon League immediately when I reached Indigo Plateau.

Lorelei was pretty easy. POLICE took care of Dewgong, using Submission. Cloyster was an easy thing for STALKER's Thunderbolt. Jynx was a bit harder but I think GANGSTA Body Slammed her finally. And the rest was just a matter of Body Slamming and Thunderbolting.

Bruno wasn't even what I'd call a match. Surf, Psychic, Psychic, Surf. STALKER and VILLAIN took care of it without breaking a sweat.

Agatha's Gengars was a bit annoying, Hypnotizing POLICE all the time. But PokéFlute helps and almost the whole of Agatha's theme went down after tasting POLICE's Earthquake. DOCTOR helped with Aurora Beam on Golbat.

Lance wasn't hard either. As always his Gyarados goes down with a little electricity, this time from STALKER, and DOCTOR had fun blowing both Dragonairs away with Aurora Beam. DOCTOR also took care of Aerodactyl, using Surf. Then I thought Dragonite would be a problem, but apparently he's not as annoying as in Yellow version, so POLICE put him to sleep and VILLAIN finished him off with two Blizzards that hit after another.

Rival champion wasn't a tough end battle. GANGSTA took Pidgeot out of the sky with Ice Beam and then continued to break down all the others until Arcanine came out. I switched to VILLAIN, who took out Arcanine with a Surf and a Bite and then made Venusaur go away with Blizzard<3

And voila, water pokémon rule the world!

Final team~!

GANGSTA
Gyarados Lv. 51
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Rage
Turned out to be the best pokémon in my team, actually.

VILLAIN
Vaporeon Lv. 50
- Surf
- Bite
- Toxic
- Blizzard
Really useful, having such a high Special state~ I knew it'd be good giving it Blizzard :3

STALKER
Starmie Lv. 50
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Swift
- Recover
I've never tried making a champion pokémon who didn't know a single move from its own type before. Now I've learned some and wont be as afraid to do it anymore :]

BADASS
Blastoise Lv. 48
- Surf
- Rest
- Dig
- Strength
Always tough and strong starter, but not as useful later on as in the beginning.

DOCTOR
Dewgong Lv. 47
- Surf
- Aurora Beam
- Headbutt
- Rest
Not as high stats as the others, but what does that matter when I only play against myself and the game trainers? it's cute.

POLICE
Poliwrath Lv. 47
- Surf
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Submission
Alright, I admit there are many pokémon better than the Polis when speaking of gaming. But something about them makes me love them anyways~

FINALLY :O
Now on to JOHTO :D

Last edited:

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Trainer's Log, 12/28/09

- Continued working on Silph Co. Hoping Blaster will evolve soon so that he can finally use Fly.

Gray Eagle (Pidgeotto), Lv. 30
Gust
Sand Attack
Quick Attack
Fly

Deathscale (Butterfree) Lv. 30
Confusion
Poisonpowder
Harden
Flash

Chitose (Golbat) Lv. 30
Leech Life
Confuse Ray
Bite
Bide

Skye (Gyarados) Lv. 30
Ice Beam
Dragon Rage
Surf
Thundahbolt

Blaster (Charmeleon) Lv. 32
Cut
Ember
Counter
Skull Bash

Strongman (Hitmonchan)
Strength

jackswack

The Legendary Pokemon Master!
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Alright so, sorry I haven't updated in about er... 3 months. It's beacause I got caught up in school, my birthday and my awful amount of homework. I may start this challenge again as I found that all my files have been deleted.

Any ideas for A type i should use?
(As long as it's not the Flying type!)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Alright so, sorry I haven't updated in about er... 3 months. It's beacause I got caught up in school, my birthday and my awful amount of homework. I may start this challenge again as I found that all my files have been deleted.

Any ideas for A type i should use?
(As long as it's not the Flying type!)

easiest is probably water. hardest is probably poison

jackswack

The Legendary Pokemon Master!
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2023
I have took your advice and decided to use...

The Fighting type!

Heh heh heh, bet you didn't see that coming.

I didn't just edit my post!

UPDATE:

Yeah I figured out that I could start.

Started the game.
Named myself and the rival.
Withdrew the Potion from the PC.
Left the house and watched Oak catch a mouse.
Got a Pikachu.
Did the Oak's Parcel event, Got the Pokedex.
Bought 5 PokeBalls.
Caught a lv3 Mankey to the west.
Trained Mankey to lv9 so it learnt Low Kick.
Blazed through Viridian Forest with Mankey.
Went into Brock's Gym and defeated him on my first try. (Both Pokemon in 2 hits)
Saved.

My Team -

Mankey (Level 13)

- Scratch
- Leer
- Low Kick

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2010
Update time!!!!!
Did Rock Tunnel without Flah ^_^
Beat rival :)
Ivysaur evolved into Venusaur
Beat all the Rockets in Rocket Hideout
Beat Giovanni and got Silph.Scope
Beat Erika (Parasect sweep!!!!)

Team:

Venusaur(Bulba) Lv35
Tackle
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf

Parasect(Frenchie) Lv35
Slash
Spore
Bullet Seed
Leech Life

Gloom(Solaris) Lv34
Absorb
Sleep Powder
Acid
Stun Spore

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
STALKER
Starmie Lv. 50
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Swift
- Recover
I've never tried making a champion pokémon who didn't know a single move from its own type before. Now I've learned some and wont be as afraid to do it anymore :]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Starmie is Water/Psychic, so you do have a move of its type. :)

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
We're 1/4th of the way through. I'm continuing onward.

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Twenty - Where Winds of a New Beginning Blow

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 0
Generation: II (on Crystal)

Log:
It's been a while since Ringo, Trixie, Felix, and I defeated my childhood rival, Holden, and claimed the title of Champion in Kanto. A few days later, Professor Oak told me about the Johto region and all the new Pokemon there. I left Pallet Town next week. I was to stay with my aunt, and Professor Oak reminded me to meet Professor Elm.
The next day, I went out to see Prof. Elm. When I went to the lab, I saw a boy with red hair, peering into a window. I went closer to him. He glared at me and pushed me away. I went into the lab and Prof. Elm asked me to go to the next town and meet a friend named Mr. Pokemon. He also asked me to raise one of his Pokemon for research. Happy to help, I took the Fire Pokemon, Cyndaquil, and named it Tyson.

Along the way, I trained Tyson and met a man who suggested picking Berries. I found Mr. Pokemon and he gave a Pokemon Egg! To my surprise, Prof. Oak was there as well. He asked me to help gather research on Johto Pokemon using his Pokedex.

On my way back, I got an urgent call from Prof. Elm. I ran home and was stopped by the boy from before. He challenged me to a battle and sent out a Totodile. After I defeated him, he mumbled his name and told me he was going to become the world's greatest trainer.

When I got back to the lab, the police were there. One of Elm's Pokemon had been stolen! I told him about the trainer I battled and they asked for his name. I wasn't sure, but I told the police that his name sounded something like "Shawn."

After the police left, I gave the Egg to Prof. Elm, who suggested the I take on the Pokemon League Challenge. He told me about the closest gym in Violet City. I went to inform my aunt, who offered to save money for me.

And, so, I began my journey.
Team:
gbs155.gif

Tyson (Level 9)
- Tackle
- Smokescreen
- Leer

---
My old, commentary style logs will return next time. I just wanted to try this out. As you can see, these "diary" style logs are a bit... lengthy. Oops. To sum everything all up: Cyndaquil is named Tyson. My rival is named Shawn. You all know the rest.

Weird

Lazy Guy
Years
Poison

Badges: 3
Leaf Green
Acidor

- Defeated Lt. Surge ( was a very annoying battle, because he used Double Team one time and I failed to hit him 15 times in a row)
- Got through Rock Tunnel
- bought a leaf stone

Team:

pkfrlg015.png

Drillix
Level: 29

- Poison Sting
- Focus Energy
- Twin Needle
- Fury Attack

pkfrlg030.png

Queen Dry
Level: 28

- Poison Sting
- Scratch
- Bite
- Double Kick

pkfrlg033.png

King Bones
Level: 28

- Poison Sting
- Horn Attack
- Double Kick
- Peck

pkfrlg070.png

Sweepinbin ( Sweep in bin XD)
Level: 29

- Vine Whip
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- Acid

Beedrill isn't as bad as I expected, especially Twin Needle saved me multiple times.

I have a Question: Am I able to catch Tentacool without surf, it's really annoying to wait for it so long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back