• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen New to Gen III

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Greetings Trainers,
When i started Pokemon on RBY, I loved it, when GSC came out i was excited all over again, but that was the end of my journey, recently I wanted to start the next gen, so I am starting FireRed, while my wife Does LeafGreen.

Any tips/Advice since i have no idea about gen 3?

- JC

Years
I'd say they are both pretty easy games, and if you played red you know the storyline. Depending on what starter you pick, I could give you a team to breeze through it, if that's what you're going for.

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I started with Charmander (as always).

I think I got my team set up, but feel free to offer if that is what you like.

- JC

Years
I started with Charmander (as always).

I think I got my team set up, but feel free to offer if that is what you like.

- JC

Only big thing I advice with Charmander first pick is camping Virdian Forest until you get a Pikachu for Misty. But Pidgeotto and other companions would do.

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Only big thing I advice with Charmander first pick is camping Virdian Forest until you get a Pikachu for Misty. But Pidgeotto and other companions would do.

I currently have every Pokemon I can get, before The first Gym (strange no Nidorans until after the first Gym.)
My Current Team is:
  1. Mankey
  2. Spearow
  3. Caterprie
  4. Weedle
  5. Pikachu
  6. Charmander

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
FR/LG as essentially the same as Red/Blue, but with extra Pokemon added into it.

Overall, think of it as Red/Blue with better sprites and 250+ pokemon to choose from, rather than the original 151.

Of course, if you then go outside of FR/LG, and dive into R/S/E (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald), then that's a whole different story.

All and all man, just kick back, dive in, and soak up the next generation. Sooner or later, you'll end up playing them all, it's an addiction that is hard to curve. XD

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
FR/LG as essentially the same as Red/Blue, but with extra Pokemon added into it.

Overall, think of it as Red/Blue with better sprites and 250+ pokemon to choose from, rather than the original 151.

Of course, if you then go outside of FR/LG, and dive into R/S/E (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald), then that's a whole different story.

All and all man, just kick back, dive in, and soak up the next generation. Sooner or later, you'll end up playing them all, it's an addiction that is hard to curve. XD
Well thank you!
- JC

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Glad you made your way into Gen III! I definitely recommend checking out Emerald if you can find yourself a copy. Ruby and Sapphire are good too, but considering Emerald is akin to the likes of Yellow and Crystal by having more features, I recommend that over the originals. But if you do end up pursuing it, be very wary of fakes, especially when buying from online sources like eBay or Amazon. If you go that route, feel free to come back here and show us pictures and some of us can help you determine if you're looking at a legit copy. There's also a mini-guide to it in the FAQ stickied at the top of this section.

-wipes forehead- Hope that wasn't too much information to take in, haha.

Years
  • US
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
If you liked Generation one there is no doubt you won't like FR/LG. It's a beautiful game that remakes the original games in such an amazing way. One thing that might irk you is the new design of Red and how he looks a bit older. Something you may or may not like is that you can explore a new region when you finish the game called the Sevvii Islands.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I think you will really enjoy your new game. It's great to see someone just now playing a 3rd gen game, as they are still just as awesome today. :)
FR/LG is a great experiance even if you played the 1st gen originals. There's a good couple days worth of extra content, and some good training areas on the new islands. It will have to visit them and do some tasks during the main storyline, but don't worry you won't be there too long :)
Out of any game FR/LG don't have a lot of 'where do i go next' moments besides having you go to the islands once. Then you can go back later when you want and unlock more islands. And if you can, use your masterball on the roaming beasts (Entei, Raikou or Suicune, depends on your starter) unless you encounter a shiny :P Hope you enjoy!

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Glad you made your way into Gen III! I definitely recommend checking out Emerald if you can find yourself a copy. Ruby and Sapphire are good too, but considering Emerald is akin to the likes of Yellow and Crystal by having more features, I recommend that over the originals. But if you do end up pursuing it, be very wary of fakes, especially when buying from online sources like eBay or Amazon. If you go that route, feel free to come back here and show us pictures and some of us can help you determine if you're looking at a legit copy. There's also a mini-guide to it in the FAQ stickied at the top of this section.

-wipes forehead- Hope that wasn't too much information to take in, haha.

I actually already own a copy of emerald.... One day it showed up and I never found out who's it was. I have never played it.

I want to see where FireRed takes me before moving to R/S/E.

- JC

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'd trade the Spearow for a Farfetch'd in Vermilion City. It's a pretty good bird, only obtainable in that one spot, and of course it gets an XP bonus for being received in a trade.

Besides that, just enjoy I guess. Gen III is fantastic.

JCarrill0

PokéMaster
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I'd trade the Spearow for a Farfetch'd in Vermilion City. It's a pretty good bird, only obtainable in that one spot, and of course it gets an XP bonus for being received in a trade.

Besides that, just enjoy I guess. Gen III is fantastic.

Yeah I plan to collect all that I can, I'll probably go back and catch another spearow for the trade.

- JC

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Greetings Trainers,
When i started Pokemon on RBY, I loved it, when GSC came out i was excited all over again, but that was the end of my journey, recently I wanted to start the next gen, so I am starting FireRed, while my wife Does LeafGreen.

Any tips/Advice since i have no idea about gen 3?

- JC
That sounds like an incredible relationship. I can only dream be in a relationship that is that awesome.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
I just completed the indigo plateau and moving next to sevii island , hope to catch suicune there, my starter is charmander.

Back