• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
3D is the way to go! xD I think it's a really huge advancement. What you'd call 3D in B/W2 cannot be compared to this new 3D world. Sure, one might miss the classic 2D graphics, but who says one can't replay the previous generations? We can't stick to the old things forever; we have to move on to follow the ever growing technological advancements in this world. I'm certainly up for this new change!

Years
Ever since the Sylveon video, I'm loving the battle graphics. The overworld graphics still don't look great to me, but I've been waiting for a 3D pokemon main installment for a while. I'm sure the overworld graphics will improve over the course of the next nine months, I mean like, the jump in battle graphics from the first trailer to the Sylveon one was pretty good.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I think a 3D pokedex would be awesome, you could view the pokemon you have seen on the pokedex in 3D!!!!!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I think the graphics of Pokemon games in general has taken a huge step, now moving up to 3D. I like the idea of 3D graphics and from the footage I've seen so far, it's been amazing, I'm particularly liking the new battle style,a close up of the Pokemon, improved sprites and all sorts of new surroundings including new plants, new sights. Also I saw the character crossing some sort of bridge in the preview, while swinging across vines and passing something that closely resembled the Eiffel Tower. I liked everything I've been seeing so far, I have absolutely no complaints honestly :3.

And yeah it'd be interesting to see what they'll do with the Pokedex in 3D, it sort of leaps out of you perhaps? I'm just really looking forward what they do with the graphics. :D

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm personally excited for the jump from pixel art to a 3D environment. I think after all these years it makes sense, plus all the trailers that have been released honestly look fantastic for what the limitations of the 3DS are. I don't know if I'd play with the 3D activated, but the models for the Pokémon look great and the cities look awesome as well!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
First of all, i think the 3D art looks good so far, but I'm sure its going to improve until the final release, so it will look even more awesome. I have a 3DS, and it just feels like they havent used all the 3Ds potential yet...just my feeling.
I think this progression is natural, and why not use 3D graphics on a 3D console?
The graphics have improved a lot from the old Blue and Red to Black and White, but i think this complete re-do of the environment and the battle scenes is very fitting, being a whole new Gen on a new console.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Graphics should never come first :(

I agree with you Pumpkin, im just saying having a Pokemon in 3D will be nice :)
Gameplay and story are way more important elements in a game, at least that my opinion, but since Pokemon has done a pretty good job at that for the last 5 Gens, i dont think they will suddenly mess that up with X/Y ;)

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Graphics should never come first :(

Do you honestly think they are only worrying about the graphics? Come on now, when has Pokemon ever cared for the best graphics? Everything else has been done really well so far, so why should they just ignore graphics when they obviously will still put the utmost care in gameplay, etc. like usual?

It looks like people will need more time to get off of the sprite train. :/

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Do you honestly think they are only worrying about the graphics? Come on now, when has Pokemon ever cared for the best graphics? Everything else has been done really well so far, so why should they just ignore graphics when they obviously will still put the utmost care in gameplay, etc. like usual?

It looks like people will need more time to get off of the sprite train. :/

You know, I have to agree on you here; the graphics have already went a great change shifting over to the 3Ds, which is a big improvement in graphics already. Plus in the trailer, the graphics are not the final edition, so, I see no reason to worry about that.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
You know, I have to agree on you here; the graphics have already went a great change shifting over to the 3Ds, which is a big improvement in graphics already. Plus in the trailer, the graphics are not the final edition, so, I see no reason to worry about that.

Plus on top of this, Game Freak and Nintendo would never put the story of the games aside for the shift in graphics. They changed before in all the previous generations (not as drastic as this but in general they have been redesigned!), so I don't think we have any reason to worry or think that the graphics are coming first.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wouldn't mind the graphics coming first as long as it isn't a story like Gen 1, really. :x So for me I would really like it if they went all out on the graphics because it just adds to it seeming like a whole new world!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd rather them use the advance in graphics to tell the story in a more compelling way. Now that we aren't stuck with pixel art maybe the models will be able to have animations for facial expressions, plus maybe cutscenes would be cool.

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
I'd rather them use the advance in graphics to tell the story in a more compelling way. Now that we aren't stuck with pixel art maybe the models will be able to have animations for facial expressions, plus maybe cutscenes would be cool.
Agreed. This is exactly what I think. Cutscenes would be awesome, it probably wouldn't even seem like Pokemon for a while.

ZePokemonGuy

PokeTuber Novice
Years
I'm going to miss my pixels...

Growing up with only a recent selection of the Pokemon games, from Gen 3 onwards (although I have gone back and played the previous games), I grew up with Pokemon admiring it's unique art style, especially the pixels.
With X and Y, they're going to change it into fully fledged 3D, and although I'm not against it(I absolutely loved playing Battle Revolution on the Wii), I am going to miss my tiny ball o' pixels character running around the overworld. I would like to know what you guys think, if they're is anyone who feels similar to the way that I do.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
I feel the same, as I also grew up with Gen 3, I'm going to miss the pixelized characters and Pokemon. But they have to keep inovating, so hopefully this means that in following games, Nintendo might give up exclusivity.

Guy

just a guy
Years
/bumps on over to the graphics thread.

It's definitely going to be an adjustment having to adapt to the changes that comes with 3D, especially the loss of the traditional pixels and sprites, but so far I'm liking what I see. The protagonists look a bit funny while running around though, at least from the back anyway...

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, yeah, of course I'm going to miss the pixels, but hey - you know what they say, change is good! It is going to be somewhat of a challenge adapting to this whole new feel of gameplay, but I'm sure everyone will come to love it eventually!

Back