• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Honestly, I dont really care for this map too much. Definitely not the worst ive seen, but it could definitely be better. the pathways seem really thin, and yet theres only one patch of grass that youre forced to take more than a few steps through. and on that subject, there is a LOT of grass on this map. there usually shouldnt be that much grass on a map, at least in my opinion, because it starts to look kinda cluttered. and unless this is on of the really early routes, id suggest adding an alternate path, at least in one direction. i hate being forced to take a certain path all the time
i realize this was about half opinion, half actual review, but i just called it as i saw it. id probably give it a 5/10

on a side note, i dont really care for the tiles or the palettes either. they seem too washed out, but this isnt the place for reviewing those, so ill stop there.

anyway, here's my map
Map: Acacia Forest
Rom: Firered
Tile Credits: Skillmen, ThePokemonChronicles,

When you first go through, youre going west to east

also in the actual game, it uses the cloudy weather effect, and that darkens the palette just right

I like this. It's very much like a Gamefreak-styled map, although I'm not sure if that's what you were going for. It would be great at the start of the game I think. The trees and paths look natural, but not unbearably disorganized like some forests.
It's playablility looks good, too. Easily navigated, but with some Trainers it could also be somewhat challenging. (This style reminds me most of Eterna Forest). Rating: 8.5/10.

Honestly though, I'm not sure what could improve it, sorry. Unless you want to add some pathways, but that might take away from the natural feel, and give it more of a man-made feel. (Both are good, that's why it's tough to judge :P)

My map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2011
Well i see not to many errors but there are plenty errors with the sea.....
its easy going but you say its an astroid and i dunno how a pokemon astroid should look i would think more dead? or has water and everything on this astroid it must be large then :/
5/10

Rom:firered
Map:testmap
Comments: testing the map and tiles...
Credits. Of-Nihiltiy
Prince legandario
Shaun frost
wont let me post your picture
the third post of maps is not an asteroid its a halo ring! halo rings are huge so i split it to four maps each 75x75 so its big. ever played halo? google it. its an alien shooter the anniversy came out so i made this map there are four parts 2 to go!

love your map. 9/10
like: your grass tiles are good i always like routs like your tree tiles the layout is good
dont like: the little trees i only use them in clearings or in big groups dont like them when theres only a few
maby replace them with rocks?

another one of mine
name: CRASH SITE
hack: starcruser 10
base: FR
start map
description
where the starcruser 5 crashed the little brown things are tree stumps
here it is

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
I like this. It's very much like a Gamefreak-styled map, although I'm not sure if that's what you were going for. It would be great at the start of the game I think. The trees and paths look natural, but not unbearably disorganized like some forests.
It's playablility looks good, too. Easily navigated, but with some Trainers it could also be somewhat challenging. (This style reminds me most of Eterna Forest). Rating: 8.5/10.

Honestly though, I'm not sure what could improve it, sorry. Unless you want to add some pathways, but that might take away from the natural feel, and give it more of a man-made feel. (Both are good, that's why it's tough to judge :P)

My map:
Spoiler:

I really like the tile and palette choices on this map (except for the museum, seems a little bright). However, I found a few things wrong specifically, and a couple that arent exactly wrong but i feel should be addressed. i marked the errors on this map.

Spoiler:

The red squares mark stuff that i feel needs to be fixed. the bottom two, theres a tile error with the lamp posts. and all four of them should be square like every other corner on the map. It just looks odd when these four have a little rounded corner and everything else is a straight shot.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the background layer of the top row of the port building is grass instead of water.

The yellow circles arent as serious. The one in front of the museum looks a little odd with the pavement extending into the grass with no sidewalk around it, and the grass path being split in half. You also have something similar in front of the port. id suggest making custom tiles for that sopt to make it seem like sand is sorta spilling into the road a little bit. The department store should be moved forward to be in line with the gym, and not have grass in front of it. I mean, how many times do you have to walk through a lawn to get inside a walmart? lastly, the little safari zone building in the bottom right corner looks, um... well, little. Actually, this map as a whole seems to be kinda stretched out, and there is a LOT of open space.

Id probably give this map a 6/10, just because its massive, yet kinda empty for a city.

And here's an updated version of the forest i posted yesterday
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
I really like the tile and palette choices on this map (except for the museum, seems a little bright). However, I found a few things wrong specifically, and a couple that arent exactly wrong but i feel should be addressed. i marked the errors on this map.

Spoiler:

The red squares mark stuff that i feel needs to be fixed. the bottom two, theres a tile error with the lamp posts. and all four of them should be square like every other corner on the map. It just looks odd when these four have a little rounded corner and everything else is a straight shot.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the background layer of the top row of the port building is grass instead of water.

The yellow circles arent as serious. The one in front of the museum looks a little odd with the pavement extending into the grass with no sidewalk around it, and the grass path being split in half. You also have something similar in front of the port. id suggest making custom tiles for that sopt to make it seem like sand is sorta spilling into the road a little bit. The department store should be moved forward to be in line with the gym, and not have grass in front of it. I mean, how many times do you have to walk through a lawn to get inside a walmart? lastly, the little safari zone building in the bottom right corner looks, um... well, little. Actually, this map as a whole seems to be kinda stretched out, and there is a LOT of open space.

Id probably give this map a 6/10, just because its massive, yet kinda empty for a city.

And here's an updated version of the forest i posted yesterday
Spoiler:

Not bad but it looks more of a route than a forest its nice and natural, the grass is in a good shape there is a tile error by the satirs near the water :/ if you cant find it its more a mountain error. thats all i see so i know you all like rating....... 7/10
good but could use some touch ups

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Rom:firered
Map:testmap
Comments: testing the map and tiles...
Credits. Of-Nihiltiy
Prince legandario
Shaun frost

Map:
route_1_of_my_game_by_mllm-d4h860o.png

Have you ever tried to walk diagonally in-game? It's annoying as hell. It looks like you were going for a more "natural" approach with thin, diagonal paths but if you take your entire map and rotate it forty-five degrees clockwise it just makes a U. So in reality, it's just as bland as Game Freak's maps but it's twice as hard to navigate because the player has to alternate D-Pad buttons the entire time. Always remember that you're making a game. No one is going to play a game if they can't even get around the overworld.

Years
Not bad but it looks more of a route than a forest its nice and natural, the grass is in a good shape there is a tile error by the satirs near the water :/ if you cant find it its more a mountain error. thats all i see so i know you all like rating....... 7/10
good but could use some touch ups

Rating: 7/10
Comments: I like the shape of the map and how natural the shape is. I think it needs more color , the grass is too solid, the trails could be more textured, i think the tree look good same with the rocks.

Firered rom
Map Name: Gallifrey
Credit: allistair for the mountain tiles
Comments: This was a map that i've wanted to make for a while but never found the time or didn't know where to start. I made the trails and the ovals myself, the circles are like shallow craters Its very big.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • OZ
  • Seen Sep 17, 2022

Rating: 7/10
Comments: I like the shape of the map and how natural the shape is. I think it needs more color , the grass is too solid, the trails could be more textured, i think the tree look good same with the rocks.

Firered rom
Map Name: Gallifrey
Credit: allistair for the mountain tiles
Comments: This was a map that i've wanted to make for a while but never found the time or didn't know where to start. I made the trails and the ovals myself, the circles are like shallow craters Its very big.

Spoiler:

The first thing I noticed about this map was the long distance between buildings, especially the building at the south, for the player it may be tiring having to walk from the north to south or even the east to west of this map, for the players sake I hope they don't have to travel to the south building too often.

The craters on the mountain like a little out of place, perhaps change the palette of the mountain craters so they don't look so "added on".

Another thing that leaps out is the squareness of a lot of the mountains, and the vast amount of empty space. With a bigger map like this to have nothing but grass and paths in the city makes it seem big and empty.

Although, I do like the idea behind the map and I think it has a unique and interesting look to it.

Overall: 5/10.

FireRed rom
Map Name: Route 101
Credits: Wesley FG, Arboles, Zein, Peyi, Femok, Spriter K and Ray Maverick for inspiration
Comments: Just a simple route, testing out tiles and mapping skills after a hiatus.

route101.jpg

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
The first thing I noticed about this map was the long distance between buildings, especially the building at the south, for the player it may be tiring having to walk from the north to south or even the east to west of this map, for the players sake I hope they don't have to travel to the south building too often.

The craters on the mountain like a little out of place, perhaps change the palette of the mountain craters so they don't look so "added on".

Another thing that leaps out is the squareness of a lot of the mountains, and the vast amount of empty space. With a bigger map like this to have nothing but grass and paths in the city makes it seem big and empty.

Although, I do like the idea behind the map and I think it has a unique and interesting look to it.

Overall: 5/10.

FireRed rom
Map Name: Route 101
Credits: Wesley FG, Arboles, Zein, Peyi, Femok, Spriter K and Ray Maverick for inspiration
Comments: Just a simple route, testing out tiles and mapping skills after a hiatus.

route101.jpg

It looks more like a forest than a route. It doesn't look bad; it looks pretty natural, but I think the tall grass would look better if it were less sparse in some places.

Other than that I think the tall grass tiles are ugly. But this isn't a tile review thread.

Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
It looks more like a forest than a route. It doesn't look bad; it looks pretty natural, but I think the tall grass would look better if it were less sparse in some places.

Other than that I think the tall grass tiles are ugly. But this isn't a tile review thread.

Map:
Spoiler:

Pallete clash is first i meen the floor is kinda dull but the paths are as bright as anything :/
ohk well i see you say gamefreak style, also the water you have implied as you can see the bottom right? but i meen on the mountains its flat you may wanna make it seem as if it looks like the mountain (bottom bit are covered in water too) [i hope you understand what i meen] the stairs far right are way to long i meen really?

my map
pokemon corona
ruby
route one thats all, trees are made smaller (i hate mapping with those extra bits)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Pallete clash is first i meen the floor is kinda dull but the paths are as bright as anything :/
ohk well i see you say gamefreak style, also the water you have implied as you can see the bottom right? but i meen on the mountains its flat you may wanna make it seem as if it looks like the mountain (bottom bit are covered in water too) [i hope you understand what i meen] the stairs far right are way to long i meen really?

my map
pokemon corona
ruby
route one thats all, trees are made smaller (i hate mapping with those extra bits)
Spoiler:

I do like the tileset and palette you have, but the map could definitely use some improvement. For starters, there is way too much tall grass on the map. Like an insane amount. Id thin the grass out quite a bit so this route isn't a major pita to go through (and you say this is your route 1? holy crap thats a lot of grass...)

There's also a huge number of one-tile-pathways. If I'm gonna play a game, I want to be able to move around and explore. One-tile-pathways are the opposite of what is needed. I'd suggest Opening the map up a bit, so the player has room to move around.

I don't see any actual tile errors though (besides the lack of shadows between the trees), so that is a plus

I'd rate 6/10. It'd be higher if it wasn't so restrictive to the player's movement.

And here's mine

Map: Acacia City
Hack: My unreleased project
Credits: uh... i have a list somewhere

(Note: The palette-swapped Saffron City houses will change as soon as I find a substitute that I like)

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Map: Acacia City
Hack: My unreleased project
Credits: uh... i have a list somewhere

Spoiler:

(Note: The palette-swapped Saffron City houses will change as soon as I find a substitute that I like)
This is a pretty good map, very well organized. It's nice for once to see a city that actually seems to have a building plan. It's very square, but the fact that it's a large city makes this fact self-explanatory. However, the mountains outside of the city could probably be made a little less square.

However, there are a couple of discrepancies that make it seem less organized. For example, the left entrance has the path sticking out past the brick 'sidewalks', compared to the North and South entries, which have the bricks before the path.

Another thing is that the path width/height seems to vary throughout the map. On routes where the paths are less planned, this makes sense; however, in a city, it looks remarkably sloppy.

Otherwise, this map is good. I'd give it a 7/10.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My map:
Name: Not named, just a bit of a test with a different tileset.
ROM: Fire Red
Hack: N/A
Credits: ROM Base Tiles by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, and TB Pro
Comments: Once again, I'm trying to brush off the dust on my mapping skills with a new tileset. The idea: a slightly mountainous route that connects three cities - a town, a mid-sized city, and a metropolis. The grass free path between the right city and the middle city is a highly traveled trading route, so it's grass free for that reason.
Map:
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
This is a pretty good map, very well organized. It's nice for once to see a city that actually seems to have a building plan. It's very square, but the fact that it's a large city makes this fact self-explanatory. However, the mountains outside of the city could probably be made a little less square.

However, there are a couple of discrepancies that make it seem less organized. For example, the left entrance has the path sticking out past the brick 'sidewalks', compared to the North and South entries, which have the bricks before the path.

Another thing is that the path width/height seems to vary throughout the map. On routes where the paths are less planned, this makes sense; however, in a city, it looks remarkably sloppy.

Otherwise, this map is good. I'd give it a 7/10.
My map:
Name: Not named, just a bit of a test with a different tileset.
Credits: ROM Base Tiles by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, and TB Pro
Comments: Once again, I'm trying to brush off the dust on my mapping skills with a new tileset. The idea: a slightly mountainous route that connects three cities - a town, a mid-sized city, and a metropolis. The grass free path between the right city and the middle city is a highly traveled trading route, so it's grass free for that reason.
Map:
Spoiler:

well i like this map i love the feel it gies its in good shape, i have to say one route connecting 3 places in boring i meen just one route 3 places. but anyways its great love the mountains shape too.

i spoted a tile error on the top of the mountain.

map name??
game corona
ruby
comments small quite town inbetween mountanous areas. only way in and out is through caves.
Spoiler:

ruup20

Gonna splash everybody!
Years
well i like this map i love the feel it gies its in good shape, i have to say one route connecting 3 places in boring i meen just one route 3 places. but anyways its great love the mountains shape too.

i spoted a tile error on the top of the mountain.

map name??
game corona
ruby
comments small quite town inbetween mountanous areas. only way in and out is through caves.
Spoiler:

I like that little garden at the left of that house, but I don't like the fact that if you exit the cave an you jump off, you can't return to that cave. But everything else is very nice. I looks also natural.

Rating: 7.9/10

My map:
Name: No name
Game: Not a game just made for fun
Comments: Tiles by Chimcharsfireworkd.
Map:
Spoiler:

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
My map:
Name: No name
Game: Not a game just made for fun
Comments: Tiles by Chimcharsfireworkd.
Map:
Spoiler:
This is a pretty sturdy map. If you were shooting for a park, you hit the mark squarely. The grass is placed very neatly and the treeline and mountains are very natural. However, the small trees next to the flower patch feel slightly out of place.

My only other complaint is that the path is very zig-zaggy. Since the player can't walk in a diagonal, walking this path becomes very annoying and tedious. I understand the idea, but it doesn't work well in this type of game.

Rating: 8/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My map:
Name: Unnamed Starter Town
Comments: A simple starting town. Connects to my other map in the upper right corner. I improved a couple of the tiles, namely the weeds.
Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
This is a pretty sturdy map. If you were shooting for a park, you hit the mark squarely. The grass is placed very neatly and the treeline and mountains are very natural. However, the small trees next to the flower patch feel slightly out of place.

My only other complaint is that the path is very zig-zaggy. Since the player can't walk in a diagonal, walking this path becomes very annoying and tedious. I understand the idea, but it doesn't work well in this type of game.

Rating: 8/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My map:
Name: Unnamed Starter Town
Comments: A simple starting town. Connects to my other map in the upper right corner. I improved a couple of the tiles, namely the weeds.
Spoiler:

Its good i see no errors no one tile paths. the houses i have a masll issue with as you took the big house and minimized it, and they look very awkward to say the least.
but over all i like it 8/10

Solaris dessert
ruby
pokemon corona
Its a simple dessert to the next town (and dont say its to diagonal as its not 90% of it you walk down and left :/)
Spoiler:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Solaris dessert
ruby
pokemon corona
Its a simple dessert to the next town (and dont say its to diagonal as its not 90% of it you walk down and left :/)
Spoiler:
It's very good, but it probably wouldn't have a paved road if it's a desert, and those empty grassy spaces look weird, put trees there or something. Love the tiles though.

Map Name: Evergreen Town
Map Game: Pokemon Dark
Credits: ~SiLvErDrAgOn~
Comments: A starter town with an uncreative name.
Spoiler:

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
It's very good, but it probably wouldn't have a paved road if it's a desert, and those empty grassy spaces look weird, put trees there or something. Love the tiles though.

Map Name: Evergreen Town
Map Game: Pokemon Dark
Credits: ~SiLvErDrAgOn~
Comments: A starter town with an uncreative name.
Spoiler:

Well let's see, you made the path too wide and inconsistent in size, and it appears you have used the same grass tile again and again. But other than that, it's a pretty solid map.

Ok, here goes.

Map Name: Kernite Town
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: The final version of the starter town in my hack. I know I can improve it but I'm not sure how. That's why I'm posting it here.
Credits: Zein, WesleyFG
Spoiler:

Last edited:

wingman11

Solo Runner
Years
Well let's see, you made the path too wide and inconsistent in size, and it appears you have used the same grass tile again and again. But other than that, it's a pretty solid map.

Ok, here goes.

Comments: The final version of the starter town in my hack. I know I can improve it but I'm not sure how. That's why I'm posting it here.
Spoiler:
This is a very nice map. The variation of trees feels good and not too random, and the house placement is very organized. The paths on the left and right side could probably be connected to the paths leading out of the town, though it's not really necessary and they look fine as it.

However, the main thing that catches my eye in a bad way are the 'bumps' of path near the lab. They would look better if they didn't return to their original 'trajectory', if you will, after a few tiles. Either make them completely straight, or lengthen the deviation for a few more tiles.

Final Rating: 9/10
Summary for Improvement: Fix the paths by the lab and this map is good by me.
My map:
Name: No name route
Comments: Another route leading out of the previously posted starter town.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2016

Ok, here goes.

Spoiler:

this is a very clean map, (im new so dont take this badly) i like the set up i really dont see anything wrong with this map. btw i love the variety of trees 9/10

map: lingering forest.
game: ruby (hack)
credit's: non due to original game tiles being used.
extra: this is my first map so please give me as much criticism as needed.
15hodn8.png

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
map: lingering forest.
game: ruby (hack)
credit's: non due to original game tiles being used.
extra: this is my first map so please give me as much criticism as needed.
15hodn8.png
This map needs a lot of work. Those trees are horrible, even if they're the default R/S/E trees they definitely need changing. You got the tree shading wrong as well. That building really looks bad that small, you need to make it bigger. And the small path is useless, because human's don't just build paths for no particular reason; if it's leading nowhere, erase it.
Rating: 0/
d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png

Nah, I'm just messing with ya. 3/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back