• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
I have a little problem:
I inserted this new trainer sprite. It looks okay in UN-LZ and in PET.
But when I battle the trainer, everything works up until it loads the sprite into memory, which then causes the game to freeze with a red screen.
Also, this may or may not be related:
I inserted a new PKMN sprite over an old one, repointed it, and loaded it up in VBA. It also freezes when loading this sprite into memory.

Help please?

Years
Er... 2 of my programs, unLZ.GBA and Advance-Mart seem to give out after a couple of uses... Advance-Mart worked about twice, and unLZ.GBA stopped working about 5 minutes ago. How can I fix them?

Note: Advance-Mart, when I open a ROM, the shop names don't appear, but on the bottom it says all the data was found, plus I can't edit items. For unLZ.GBA, I can't load any ROM at all.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Okay, I've got a question that I would really like answered:
1. What is the format of music codes in Red/Blue. NOT the music header, but the actual music codes themselves. I've searched around for this, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Er... 2 of my programs, unLZ.GBA and Advance-Mart seem to give out after a couple of uses... Advance-Mart worked about twice, and unLZ.GBA stopped working about 5 minutes ago. How can I fix them?

Note: Advance-Mart, when I open a ROM, the shop names don't appear, but on the bottom it says all the data was found, plus I can't edit items. For unLZ.GBA, I can't load any ROM at all.

Do you have your ROM open in any other programs? That might be why unLZ.gba isn't working. I don't know about Advance-Mart. Never used it.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
I was asking about the event in ShinyGold when you have to pursuit the Farfetch'd to get Cut. If you talk to him from the left, he goes right. But if you talk to him from the right, he'll go left.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
I was asking about the event in ShinyGold when you have to pursuit the Farfetch'd to get Cut. If you talk to him from the left, he goes right. But if you talk to him from the right, he'll go left.

I was wondering about this sort of thing, as well.

I was told by Hiroshi, there's a Game Freak example of this sort of check in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, in Oldale when you talk to the lady who shows you the PC and Mart. I haven't looked into it myself yet, though. Basically when she starts moving she moves you around to be behind her based on where you were standing before she moves.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

I was wondering about this sort of thing, as well.

I was told by Hiroshi, there's a Game Freak example of this sort of check in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, in Oldale when you talk to the lady who shows you the PC and Mart. I haven't looked into it myself yet, though. Basically when she starts moving she moves you around to be behind her based on where you were standing before she moves.

This sort of thing can happen a few different ways.
You can use the current position of the camera ( getplayerpos 0xvariable 0xvariable)
and then you can make a check that checks if those variables equal a certain amount, and if they do, then the script does one thing, or, if it equals a different amount, it will do something else.

This is usually a more complicated way, but it works well with events that span across a few tiles, that the player can step on any of them...

Another way is using the player's facing direction.
variable 0x800C is the direction the player is currently facing.
0x1 is down
0x2 is up
0x3 is left
0x4 is right

You can make a check for this in a script, and have it change depending on the direction the player is facing.
Spoiler:

The game just uses different compares and checks to see what script to use based on player position, and direction faced.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2009
Question:
Has anyone encountered any problems when recoloring sprites using OW Editor RE?
I'm asking because for my Emerald hack, I recolored the Hero and after some customizations in AdvanceMap, I would load it up in VBA and the sprite would be "more white". So black was grey, grey was near white, etc.
I'm recoloring my FireRed one now and I wanna make sure no one has had any problems. xD

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Does anyone know the unzl numbers for item sprites in fire red?

EDIT: nevermind,i foundthem.

Last edited:

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
O I see..Thanks for answering part of my question! I was thinking if a "Pokemon-esque" game could feasibly have the original battle and contest gameplay systems, plus added gameplay systems and features. Since I heard somewhere that it's impossible to have a hack with all 4 generation pokemon because the "slots" on the original base game isn't enough and that the .gba file is just too small or something like that. So I wondered whether it was necessary to create an entire new game from scratch or if I could just build a hack using the original base game.

Technically, it is "possible" to put more than 25-ish extra Pokémon into the game. However, you'd have to repoint so much data, moving all the Pokémon data to a new place in the game and then changing every pointer in the game that references the Pokémon data, that nobody has ever attempted to do it before. And, in fact, the idea of repointing all that data is entirely a theoretical idea, since no one has actually tried to open up more slots. The size of the .gba file itself isn't really a problem, since you can expand a rom with several different programs; it's getting the data for the Pokémon moved to a place where more slots can be added that's nearly impossible. And if I'm phrasing any of this wrong, feel free to correct me, since I'm a bit fuzzy on the workings of direct hex editing. I do know, however, that putting more slots for Pokémon into the game is such a tricky idea that even the most veteran hackers haven't done it.

So, the original base game is too limited to feasibly build a hack with all 400-whatever current Pokémon, especially for a hacker without much experience in hex editing. You could just take out the gen 1-3 Pokémon that you don't want to squeeze in as many gen 4 Pokémon as possible, if you decide any of them are expendable. If you really want a game with all 4 gens of Pokémon, your best bet would be to check out the Game Development section and make a game there. They've got tutorials on how to use the programs like RPG maker and stuff, and from what I've heard from people in that forum, it's not a whole lot more difficult than the tools to make a hack once you get the hang of it. There's even a starter kit called Pokémon Essentials for people who want to make a new game using the basic Pokémon system, like the one for battling. I don't know if the contest system is included in Pokémon Essentials, though.

A warning: not all of them, but some of the people in the Game Development section can be not nice to people who use starter kits. (They'll say stuff like "If you're going to take the easy way out, just go make a ROM hack," which goes to show what they think of ROM hackers, but what can you do? :P) Most of them are nice people, though, and the ones who get bent out of shape are more the lunatic minority than the main body of the Game Development section. Make a good game with whatever tools you've got and they won't be able to say anything against you.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with your game, however you decide to make it.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
This sort of thing can happen a few different ways.
You can use the current position of the camera ( getplayerpos 0xvariable 0xvariable)
and then you can make a check that checks if those variables equal a certain amount, and if they do, then the script does one thing, or, if it equals a different amount, it will do something else.

This is usually a more complicated way, but it works well with events that span across a few tiles, that the player can step on any of them...

Another way is using the player's facing direction.
variable 0x800C is the direction the player is currently facing.
0x1 is down
0x2 is up
0x3 is left
0x4 is right

You can make a check for this in a script, and have it change depending on the direction the player is facing.
Spoiler:

The game just uses different compares and checks to see what script to use based on player position, and direction faced.
Ooooh shiny...
Thanks 0M3GA!

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2014
TILE EDITING:

This is so annoying.

I'm trying to change the tiles for EMerald. I want to use FR/LG tiles.

But it doesn't work. I do the stuff with the paint, I highlight the FR tree and paste it on the Emerald pallette and save it and import it but its just a big green block.

ARGH!

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
TILE EDITING:

This is so annoying.

I'm trying to change the tiles for EMerald. I want to use FR/LG tiles.

But it doesn't work. I do the stuff with the paint, I highlight the FR tree and paste it on the Emerald pallette and save it and import it but its just a big green block.

ARGH!

Sounds like a color issue, did you make sure you use the colors from that tilesets palette? They also have to have compatible RBG color values to show up right in A-Map, which I believe is increments of 8.

epyon101

Been Playing Since Pokemon Red
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
Hey is there a Complter Pokemon Ruby Text INI if so could any body plz provide me with a download.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I just inserted a new pokemon, but now the game crashes when I run into a wild pokemon.

Anyone have a few ideas of what I might have done wrong? I am guessing it is just a string edit gone bad but I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back