• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How do RMXP games with missing/empty data folders work?

Ryz

Years
So other fan games I've played have either been missing a data folder or have nothing in it, I assume its to keep people from stealing their work. Same with graphics folder. So, how would I do that without it stop working... never could figure it out...

Years
I believe you can compress your game using rpgmaker, which compresses said folders into one file which your game can only read.

Ryz

Years
You can follow the wiki instructions at the bottom of this page to know what you can remove:

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:How_to_use_Essentials
The wiki doesn't mention those.
I believe you can compress your game using rpgmaker, which compresses said folders into one file which your game can only read.
You can. But after you compress it, it creates a file that you have to uncompress. That way others can play it. Its been a while since I did it so I'll try.
Edit: Yup. I didn't think so. After you decompress it it decompresses everything. So that includes the data folder which means people could just steal your work. Which I really don't want.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
I don't think any of the common compression solutions are going to make your game impervious to someone taking the assets if they really want to, anyway.

Ryz

Years
I don't think any of the common compression solutions are going to make your game impervious to someone taking the assets if they really want to, anyway.

I guess you have a point... I still don't want to have it right there for everyone though.
Maps wouldn't be as easy... but the scripts would be annoying. I have a couple minor custom ones I made.
All it would take is for someone to have RMXP then put the scripts file into their data folder . I guess they could steal my events too.

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer
Years
The wiki doesn't mention those.

You can. But after you compress it, it creates a file that you have to uncompress. That way others can play it. Its been a while since I did it so I'll try.
Edit: Yup. I didn't think so. After you decompress it it decompresses everything. So that includes the data folder which means people could just steal your work. Which I really don't want.

Go to compress your game data again, but this time check the box that says "Create Encrypted Archive". There is a size limit, I think it is 128MB but don't quote me on it. Point is if it goes over the size limit it won't compress properly so you have to take a file out in order (usually it would be either audio or graphics) to do it properly. You can put it back in after it is encrypted.

Years
Go to compress your game data again, but this time check the box that says "Create Encrypted Archive". There is a size limit, I think it is 128MB but don't quote me on it. Point is if it goes over the size limit it won't compress properly so you have to take a file out in order (usually it would be either audio or graphics) to do it properly. You can put it back in after it is encrypted.

Yes this!!!

Ryz

Years

Thanks man! You rule! I have no idea why I never tried that. I just always overlooked that checkbox.

Thanks again!

Back