• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: I need your answers!

BazTheProgrammer

Working on a Pokemon ROM hack I hope to release it
Years
Hello, my name is Baz! I am pretty new to this forum and I am loving it so far! I have some questions for you about Pokemon ROM hacks so here they are!

1. How many rivals do you want?

2. Do you like a game with a long story or a short story?

3. How do you want the story to start? (for example, in a dream)

4. What legendary Pokemon do you want to be able to catch?

5. Do you want to be able to catch gen 1-5 Pokemon?

Thank you for the answers, I am currently making Pokemon Imagine and your suggestions and answers are a big help. If you would like to contribute to the game or help in anyway please add me on Skype (baz.leonard) If you have any suggestions PM me and I may implement them into the game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 7, 2015
1 I really would like 2 rivals like u start in the begining and the three choose all three starer pokemon
2 long story deff
3 mmm would be cool if a pokemon attacks the main chacater
4 Mewtow deff always will be my fav lol
5 I think.u choose chose all the gen even new ones in x and y just a though lol
Hope this helps :)

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Hello, my name is Baz! I am pretty new to this forum and I am loving it so far! I have some questions for you about Pokemon ROM hacks so here they are!

Thank you for the answers, I am currently making Pokemon Imagine and your suggestions and answers are a big help. If you would like to contribute to the game or help in anyway please add me on Skype (baz.leonard) If you have any suggestions PM me and I may implement them into the game.

1. One-two rivals.

2. This answer should be a given..

3. Depends on the story really and the theme of your game, a dream would be a cool experience.

4. The Johto legends would be nice.

5. Why not, but I'm not a personal fan of gen5.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
1. Two rivals, one as the true rival and the other the opposite gender option. :D

2. Loooooooonh story with minimal training, or great level areas with short story. But mostly long story. :D

3. I'd be good with any opening the hack creators choose, really. :0

4. I'm a big fan of Mew/Shaymin but any legendary could work given the right circumstances. Even fakemons!

5. sure I love Gen IV and V pokemon! :0

I'l be looking forward to this game. :3

rip4d

Don't let "good enough" be good enough
Years
Only one or two. Also, make sure they're developed. Don't have a bland rival, give them character. Also, don't have their appearances be random, integrate them into the story so their presence makes sense.

Longer story. Don't forget about post-game content though.

That's up to you. Whether you connect it to a point later in the story, or just your typical, simple start to a pokemon game. Just be sure it makes sense.

As long as its relevant to the story, the primary legendary (if there is one) shouldn't really matter much. Trios are always nice to have as side legendaries.

I'm indifferent on this honestly. As long as implementing them doesn't break the game, they should be fine.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
1) Two Rivals. 1 Friendly Rival who actually is quite competent but needs clarification on what he/she wants to do in life (Cheren expy) and 1 True Rival who the players would want to hate because of his/her mindset towards treating pokemon and other people (Silver expy)

2) JRPG style chapters. ala PS1 JPRGS. 4 chapters. so its the looooooooooong story to keep everyone interested in checking out the hack

3) "I used to be a trainer like you <player>, then I took a Patrat in the knee"

4) Meloetta

5) Pokemon from the past gens should be serviceable but i think it limiting some options would be nice such as removing some pokemon that are practically the same.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2016
1. I would prefer just one rival. This rival should be kind and helpful. You maybe can change rival halfways in the game if it's possible! That would be intersting!
2. If you choose to make short story you can have many side quests and other things to do, like more ways to find shinies!
3. I think it doesn't really matter. He just wakes up from his bed, ready to become the Pokémon master!
4. If it's possible, I would want every single one of them!
5. Yeah! The old ones are always the best (in my opinion).

I hope this helps! Can't wait for the game! ;)

Last edited:
Years
1. I always enjoy two rivals so that you get more quality battles. Also the fact that two can add more depth to the game story.
2. definitely long story
3. I always liked how you just jump right into the game as soon as you got out of bed. An good idea might be to have some interaction between players before you actually get you starter pokemon.
4. As many as you can fit in realistically
5.I have never liked gen 5 pokes, thought I know other people do so i guess include them.

Hopes this helps cant wait to play your game!

Years

1. If your keeping it similar to the originals you need of course at least one rival. Depending on how difficult you want the game to be you can add more. If you have 2 rivals you can't )make them equally strong. One will always be better than the other. It would add challenge to the game because you might beat one rival thinking that was easy and here comes the next with all pokemon 5-7 levels higher. Think about your crowd. They probably want a challenging game. Not hard, but challenging.
2. Ok. short answer: short story will need a lot of side quest or things to do at the end of the game so it's not just a finish and done type of thing. You want people to like the game so they spread the word or youtube or blog about it. Long story will be easier... don't forget a climax. My own opinion long answer: The longer the better. You have to draw people in. After you finish the main quest (whether that be becoming pokemon champ or seeing/catching all pokemon from your region or beating the enemy team or whatever) prolong the game with extra adventure. add a twist to it where oh you thought you beat the bad guys, well you were wrong. Or one of your rivals is in danger and needs saving. Just an extra scenario for when the player thinks he has completed the game there's something that will nag at him if he quits right there. Something that will make him want to play more. Draw the player in. Look at pokemon glazed for example: didn't stop at one region, but 3. After beating the enemy team, Regina regrouped the team for more action. If I remember correct you have 3 rivals in that game and one of them was super easy and one of them was quite difficult sometimes (in my opinion when I played). Other was just moderate to me. That game kept you going. That is what you want in your game. Add twists, drama, climax, horror, anything really that pulls on someone so they are thinking "Oh my word!!! What will happen next??? I have to keep playing!!!"
3. Again this is my opinion: Try to do something new. Change it up better beginning better chance your player will look into the game more and actually play. You don't want the player to play for 20 minutes and say this is boring and just quit! Need a strong beginning that will lead to the finally. Keep the story building. Don't start strong and get weak. It's like going back to the gym after not being there in awhile. Start strong; end stronger. So think hard on the beginning. Remember this is your game. Try to pretend you haven't played the beginning of a pokemon game before and all you know is you need to get to the point where you choose a starter. Build up to it. Don't make the beginning excessively long because the player is eager to train his first pokemon. Just give it a beginning like..... you're a teenager that ran away from home and... whatever. The beginning should either be exciting and happy or tragically sad. It has to get the player thinking and curious of the game they just started.
4. Like I said before, the longer the game the better. If you can think of either a side quest or attach to the main quest a reason you can battle a legendary that would be best. Some players don't like to finish the game and have to find the legendaries on their own. I think (my opinion once again) it'd be cool if you caught a legendary before you even made it to the end of the main quest. if the end was the pokemon league it would be pretty awesome if one of the pokemon you had was already a legendary. Add stuff unexpected, but also keep it realistic. You can't just throw legendaries wherever you want. They are legendary for a reason make it at least somewhat difficult to get them or add some kinda background story to finding them.
5. I think the more the better. It is cool playing new games that you can find the older generation pokemon in, but it is also cool when you play old games with the newer generation pokemon in it. I like when everything is mashed together, but again that's totally my opinion. Some people may disagree.
Hope I was some help. Sorry it is very long and drawn out. I really got into the questions. lol Hope everything works out for you.

Back