• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Years
I upset that I just can't afford a 3DS right now, but hopefully I'll be able to grab hold of one (if not a cheaper pre-owned one) before X and Y come out.

I'm not mad though, I'm glad Nintendo have decided to try something new with pokemon, who knows where the 3D will go in the future. Hell, what if we end up with a full on sandbox pokemon game?! Look where the gameboy colour and advance took the games, imagine what is yet to come?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
It's going to be released in October 2013. That gives more than enough time for people and kids to ask for a 3DS for their birthday (or the Pokemon game if they already got a 3DS) and Pokemon X and Pokemon Y for their christmas present.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
What game systems let you play two generations back? PS3s don't. Wiis don't. 360 doesn't even have 2 generations back so not really a good example. DS can't play GBC games. Why would you assume the 3DS should be GBA compatible?

I'd say PC's do, but they aren't really game systems.

Then again most of the 'game systems' have slowly turned into multimedia systems, which a PC can be considered.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Now that the next Pokemon game will be on the 3DS exclusively, I think there's time for those who don't have a 3DS (like myself) to save up money towards the release date of the games. Like someone said in this thread (forgot who, sorry!), there's a possibility that the 3DS (albeit the regular one, and not the XL) will be at a cheaper price, not to mention, there might be bundles.

Highly doubt people will turn away from the 3DS. With Pokemon finally on the 3DS, I'm sure a lot of fans will be buying it like hot bread.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Nah, pretty much most people own a 3DS by now. I already have a 3DS, and I'd be assuming most people here would have a 3DS.

Well... OK, maybe not most people, maybe some still have a DSi or DSi XL, but sooner or later the DSi will no longer be sold anyways. So therefore expecting people to buy a Nintendo 3DS instead if they're looking for a Nintendo handheld device.

But I highly doubt it would prevent people from going and buying the new games, 'cause it's going to encourage more people to buy a Nintendo 3DS so they can play the games, then everyone will think "WOW, THESE ARE THE BEST GAMES EVER MADE". xD

I'm so amazed by the games that I felt like watching the trailer over and over and over again. So I'm definitely not avoiding Pokémon X and Y, in fact... I'm buying both of them. :P

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
...sooner or later the DSi will no longer be sold anyways.

Nintendo still sells the DS Lite at Wal-Mart for $140.

Don't count on them discontinuing obsolete hardware. I hate that they still sell the old hardware, because it definitely confuses people who are trying to buy the latest DS as a gift for their kids.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Anyway, you'll be able to pick up a 3DS very cheaply by October, I've seen a few around for $160, which shouldn't be too much for most folks. 3DS's are gonna be flying out the door by October, a very smart move on Nintendo's part.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Honestly, even though I'm planning to get a 3DS because of this, I think it matters on how well GF sells X and Y. Obviously, to sell a game they have to make it look good, but to get people to buy the console makes the person think a bit. Is it really worth it? I know many people are still hung up about how pokemon is so different now, and all the generation V pokemon suck compared to the first few generations. Now there is already a new generation for those people to complain about. And because of this, GF will really have to make it look fun, or at least this is what I think. But then again, there are those pokemon crazy people, like some of us, that will get the game regardless of the console.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014

Don't count on them discontinuing obsolete hardware. I hate that they still sell the old hardware, because it definitely confuses people who are trying to buy the latest DS as a gift for their kids.

Where on earth are you getting your prices from, haha?(excuse me if you are in a different country but that is kind of ridiculous for the U.S.) DSi's are ~ $100 while the XLs are ~ $130 at the Walmart here, so why would a retailer sell the Ds Lite for $10 more than the XL version of the superior remodel?

Honestly, even though I'm planning to get a 3DS because of this, I think it matters on how well GF sells X and Y. Obviously, to sell a game they have to make it look good, but to get people to buy the console makes the person think a bit. Is it really worth it? I know many people are still hung up about how pokemon is so different now, and all the generation V pokemon suck compared to the first few generations. Now there is already a new generation for those people to complain about. And because of this, GF will really have to make it look fun, or at least this is what I think. But then again, there are those pokemon crazy people, like some of us, that will get the game regardless of the console.

As has been said before, there are TONS of variations on animals such as spiders, dogs, birds, etc. in the real world so why should pokemon be limited to say having only one fox or one this/that? Yes, some may seem uninspiring but there are also those who look like a pretty great variation on a type of animal we already have some of and it makes the whole Poke world look more diverse.

I have to agree that those who only complain about future generation pokemon and go back to the whole 'gen *number* is where it went downhill' just have their nostalgia glasses on a bit tight. It's one thing to not like specific pokemon, but considering a whole region-and-onward's pokemon trash? Pretty harsh...

Last edited:

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I'm going to buy a 3DS because of these games. X and Y are the basically the sole reason I'm buying one.

Years
You also have several months before it comes out. Even a kid on a modest allowance should be able to save the required cash in time for release day. As for me, this certainly tips the scale on me pulling the trigger and snagging a shiny new 3DS XL.

I think all the Ds are compatible with 3ds games you just dont have the 3D ability. Im glad I have my 3DS tho

Nope, totally different hardware. DS and 3DS games are NOT compatible. If they were, I'd surely be playing Mario Kart 7 and such on my DSI by now.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
These games have made me excited enough to actually want a 3DS. Not to mention there are a few nifty games for the 3DS like Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and of course Mario...

Damn, I'm really thinking about getting one, should I...? :D

Anyway, back in the old days, Crystal was a GBC exclusive. That didn't stop people from buying it, although Crystal was one of the lowest-selling third versions...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think if any game can boost and push the 3DS, it would be Pokemon. If I am honest, the announcement of the game and my first views of it, it is making me consider getting a 3DS later down the line for the game.​

This. I already have a 3DS, but with the graphics they really went above and beyond and didn't use BW graphics and call them "3D." It really is 3D, looking at the trailers. (hopefully they aren't just funny camera angles like on Skyarrow Bridge!) I wasn't actually excited for the next game, because I assumed that it would be like PMD3's graphics which look mostly clunky, but these are nice!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

No they don't. DS lites have been removed from Wal-Mart's sales catalog for a while now. They also wouldn't be $140 when the price of the DSi is $99. DS, DSlite, and DSiXL are all discontinued by Nintendo and most stores were forced to send them back upon being discontinued. The DSi is to be discontinued later this year supposedly. DSlites have been discontinued for almost a year now though. Nintendo is forcing the generation switch for the handhelds.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
The only places I've seen DS Lites are those that sell refurbished consoles, Nintendo's given people more than enough time to come over to the next generation - it was getting a bit ridiculous still releasing major games for the DS.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Oh, and also, you are underestimating the Pokémon fanbase.
Sure, many cannot afford a 3DS right now. But they won't just go "oh well, looks like I'll be skipping the 6th gen."
They go "omfgwtfbbq I need a 3DS right now!", save up for a 3DS/ask for one as a gift/etc., then get the game. Because Pokémon.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I will never be able to get a 3DS because my parents think that my DS lite is good enough, so I feel like I've been booted out of the fandom. Business decision? great! But personally I hate it even though it'll make the games a lot better.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Pokemon has NEVER had a problem jumping to a new console. In fact, Pokemon will be the driving force behind 3DS sales in October.

"But what about the people that can't afford a new console?"

There are 9 regular pokemon games for the DS PLUS a million spin-off games. No sympathy for the people who can't afford the Brand New Games on Release Day. They have more than enough Pokemon games already. Plus the DS has the largest Game Library of any handheld ever, so They got Options.

Back