• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Espeon & Umbreon

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pokemon Gold, Silver & Crystal introduces two more members of the Eevee family: Espeon and Umbreon!

Espeon エーフィ

Spr_2c_196.gif
Spr_2c_196_s.gif

Espeon is a Psychic pokemon who evolves by Eevee by having Eevee get a maximum happiness rating, and leveling it up during the day time. It's tricky, but worth it! Espeon isn't as fast as Jolteon, but it's Special Attack is stronger, as it's Psychic and Psybeam attacks are no joke! It can even learn a new move called Morning Sun to recover it's HP! Try doing that while the sunlight is strong!

Umbreon ブラッキー

Spr_2c_197.gif
Spr_2c_197_s.gif

So Umbreon is a Dark pokemon who Eevee can evolve into by having Eevee get a maximum happiness rating, and leveling it up during the night time. So, you can say it's kind of like a polar opposite of Espeon! Now, Umbreon doesn't have as much HP as Vaporeon, but it has amazing Defense and Special Defense, so I'd say it's better to have Umbreon learn more utility moves, like Confuse Ray and Toxic, with a nice Moonlight as a HP restore back up! But that's only one way. (;

Topics to Discuss
  • Do you prefer Umbreon or Espeon?
  • Did you use any one of these two pokemon during your gameplay?
  • What do you personally think of these two pokemon?
  • Any other thoughts you can share them here!

Years
The two of them are close in liking for me, but I think umbreon edges out juuuuust a little bit over espeon. Except when it comes to the shiny versions - then I'm just in love with that lime-green psychic cat.

I think my umbreon in gold got a bit more usage than my espeon did. But I liked them both - they were a father/daughter pair (the umbreon being the original eevee I had), and I tried using both of them whenever I could. Alas, as I recall, the umbreon ended up just being a little bit better than the espeon, so he got more battle time in-game.

I kind of miss those two, actually. Whenever I think of what I ever did on my gold version, those two eons are the first things that come to mind. I might have to try to recreate them in a newer game sometime.

Years
· Do you prefer Umbreon or Espeon?
Espeon all the way!!!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· Did you use any one of these two pokemon during your gameplay?
Not on the original Gold but I used a Espeon on Heart Gold and X. I used an Umbreon on Platinum.

· What do you personally think of these two pokemon?
[FONT=&quot] Well Espeons my favourite pokemon, so yeah I really like them. On the Subject of Umbreon, I find it hard to use because its Attack and S Attack is so low, so one hit KO's can be hard unless its level is really high. [/FONT]

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Do you prefer Umbreon or Espeon?
I prefer Espeon becuz' it sweeps more

Did you use any one of these two pokemon during your gameplay?
No I was not motivated to grind Eevee before it gets to levels when Espeon learns nothing more

What do you personally think of these two pokemon?
They are cute, they seem to be very useful in storymode and competitive battling so it's, like, good.

Any other thoughts you can share them here!
Fork - Banana - Mismagius - Toolkit

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I preferred Espeon. Offensive play is generally more efficient in-game than defensive play is, and Espeon was better than Umbreon on the offense front. I like both of them appearance-wise, and both have their battling uses. I didn't use either one that much, though. I pretty much just bred them, made them happy, evolved them, and put them back in the PC again. I have used both of them on more recent challenges in GSC and the like, as well as in Colosseum.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I believe I've had a Espeon the first time around when playing pokemon Gold; though back then I knew how Eevee can evolve by friendship, it just took a long while to do that. Espeon evolved sorta late in the game so I didn't really get much use of it's powers, bah. Umbreon came second, and it was pretty cool; I really loved using it's Faint attack back then; it looked so cool. :3

The two of them are close in liking for me, but I think umbreon edges out juuuuust a little bit over espeon. Except when it comes to the shiny versions - then I'm just in love with that lime-green psychic cat.

I think my umbreon in gold got a bit more usage than my espeon did. But I liked them both - they were a father/daughter pair (the umbreon being the original eevee I had), and I tried using both of them whenever I could. Alas, as I recall, the umbreon ended up just being a little bit better than the espeon, so he got more battle time in-game.

I kind of miss those two, actually. Whenever I think of what I ever did on my gold version, those two eons are the first things that come to mind. I might have to try to recreate them in a newer game sometime.

Was trying to evolve your Eevee a giant pain? D: Cause I had the problem of it fainting every so often, wah. ;___;

Years
Was trying to evolve your Eevee a giant pain? D: Cause I had the problem of it fainting every so often, wah. ;___;
It's been so long so I don't remember specifics, but I recall it being a little bit of an annoyance, yeah. Pretty sure my biggest problem was trying to get the happiness needed to even evolve in the first place. EEVEE WHY ARE YOU NOT HAPPY ENOUGH YET DARNIT back to the pokemon groomer with you!

(I think both of mine spent a lot of time at the groomer, lol.)

Years

Umbreon. All the way. I love Dark types ever since they were released, because I was so happy to see a Psychic counter. Umbreon was the only pure dark type at the time, so I made sure to raise one.

Yes! I absolutely loved my Pokemon. I hatched her and named her Yunna, whose name based off a character in Megaman Legends 2 (I spelled it wrong... the character's name is Yuna). While I don't think I can post links yet, just Google "Yuna Megaman Legends" and you'll see her yellow rings and why I picked that name. :)

I thought they were great editions to the Eeveelution line. I think part of my bias with Umbreon was that I worked with it so much to get it to love me and evolve by level 15 in time for Confuse Ray. I loved it so much, and because of the effort I put into it, it became my favorite Pokemon that I raised to level 100. Unfortunately it died along with my Gold save battery... ;_;

Thinking of Umbreon actually made me really sad. :( Its like, I've tried raising another after losing my first, but it's like a dog dying... and my time with Gold/Silver has already passed, so there are no new memories to make with any new Umbreon I happen to raise. It would be really hard to make it "special" you know?

Man, I hope I don't sound too depressing... >.>; At least my memories with it were happy.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
i have used both and i love both of them tbh. but i do have a slight preference for espeon in terms of design. ah, and i looove psychic pokémon. c:

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
Years
The first time I played I evolved my Eevee into an Umbreon after watching the anime (Gary's Umbreon vs Alakazam made it look awesome). Although right now, I prefer Espeon since it's SP-ATK is high & it's easier to evolve.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Well, I already gave my opinion on whether I like Glaceon or Leafeon, which I chose Leafeon, and now it comes to Umbreon and Espeon then.

They're both good in my opinion, but Espeon gets it because of its design. That's the sole reason I like it to be honest.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
This is a hard chioce. Mainly because, I was never a real fan of either of them :/ I'll have to slide with Umbreon though. If I spent the time getting an umbreon, sure, I'd use it on a team, but probably only for those several occasions I'd need to use Dark type.

Sirfetch’d

Both are pretty great and really fun to use! I think Espeon get's the favorite nod from me just because it's a little easier to use. Especially in game being it's an offensive Pokemon while Umbreon is more of a stally defensive wall. Though on design alone Umbreon is a bit superior haha. Really hard to choose here though because this is the best group of eeveelutions introduced imo c:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love Umbreon's design but it's really boring to use in a team, whilst Espeon is fun to use on a team but has a pretty ugly design. Honestly if I had an Eevee I'd just evolve it into Flareon instead, but out of the two I guess I'd go with Umbreon as my favourite just because it looks 100% cooler haha.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I'm a fan of Eeveelutions and although I liked both of them I only used Espeon. Admittedly I liked Espeon more because it resembles a cute cat and during my Gold run my Espeon got a variety of moves which include Bite (a Dark type move)

I might use Umbreon later when I'm planning to play Pokemon Silver.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Both are fantastic Pokemon. I love both of them. They are designed really well for being Psychic and Dark eeveelutions. Umbreon is my favorite though, as well as my favorite Pokemon. I always get one when I can. He's awesome.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Umbreon because its typing provides it more advantages. Dark type moves can hit both Psychic and Ghost type Pokemon. Add in Umbreon's ridiculous ability to wall a ton of Pokemon, and it makes a great addition to a team.

I usually try to include one on my team if it can find a functioning role among my other 5 Pokemon.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Topics to Discuss

I love either! I stared with Espeon. I got it as an Eevee from Bill in Goldenrod.
It was hanging in my team as an Eevee, I forgot what exactly happened but it leveled up during a battle and it evolved into an Espeon after the battle!

I recall my classmates and I were looking for methods to evolve our Eevee into those new Eeveelutions at that time. Some even said they evolve by Evolution Stones; Moon Stone for Umbreon and Sun Stone for Espeon.

Back