• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Evolution/Pre-evolution Speculation

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't think that just because something stands alone that it NEEDS to get an evolution. Things like Sawk and Throh I would have no problem for them to stay as they are, no evolutions required. I mean I could see a pre-evolution to link them together, but I wouldn't want them to evolve further than they have already.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I don't think that just because something stands alone that it NEEDS to get an evolution

I share that opinion, and to be honest i hope we get more new and original pokemon than just a bunch of pre-/Evolutions of pokemon that we already know. Of course it makes some pokemon more useful and interesting, but i hope they don't go over board with it

ProfessorBeeching

Professor Of Fail
Years
I never really saw a point for Sawk and Throh to evolve. I mean, personally, I'd love to see an evolution for them, but...what would they look like, and would they basically be hitmon clones all over again? What would separate them from the hitmons? So many questions, and yet so little answers, which is why I kind of feel it's best to leave them as it is. Audino is also another one that just isn't fit for an evo. What else can it do? It could possibly grow more powerful offensively of course, but there are so many other more preferable normal types that outclass Audino entirely.

It's kind of a sad thing, because these Pokemon would definitely be interesting with an evolution at any rate, but the problem being is that there are more preferable Pokemon to choose from, at least competitively. That, and there's really no point to evolving them.

I see most of the Unova pokemon as being like Gen I counterparts, based on that theory of similar-but-different-evolution-by-location thingie. Timburr is the new Machop, Sawk/Throh are the new Hitmons, Tympol is the new poliwag, etc. An odd exception to them all being gen I counterparts would probably be Alomamola, which seems to be a counterpart to Luvdisc...even though it would have done better were it a Luvdisc evo.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I see Audino as the Chancey of Unova, so I see it becoming bigger, with increase Hp that's sky high. However I perfer if it's evolution got a better special attack as it has such a vast special movepool imo which can't be fully used as it is now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I see Audino as the Chancey of Unova, so I see it becoming bigger, with increase Hp that's sky high. However I perfer if it's evolution got a better special attack as it has such a vast special movepool imo which can't be fully used as it is now.

I quite agree. Audino can be useful to some extent due to its massive movepool, but its stats are just...well...yeah.
I like Audino just as much as Chansey, however Chansey gets an evolution - Blissey, so my vote goes to Chansey. I think an evolution for Audino would make sense, Blissey came into existence during the generation after Chanseys, so an evolution in the generation after Audinos gen (gen 6) just seems necessary. Plus, Audino would be much more useful with an Eviolite, as both its defenses would be increased to 130 (I rounded off 129) and 103 hp to go with that 130 def and sp-def would make Audino a pretty spectacular wall, maybe even outclassing Blissey - maybe.

Audino evolution all the way! :)

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
I can see Basculin getting an evo, it'd be interesting if they take him the same way as Magikarp.
I.e. Turning Basculin into a serpent, or even a hydra.
But we already have Hydreigon as the hydra, so back to the drawing board for me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
A Basculin evo would be so cool, I also hope it has an evo like Gyarados. Although since Basculin is more powerful than Magikarp, I believe the evolution would take place at a higher level, say lvl.41?

I hope the evo looks something like this: (Not my design btw)
tumblr_mb4j0t9AV21rw7u8ro1_500.jpg

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
A Basculin evo would be so cool, I also hope it has an evo like Gyarados. Although since Basculin is more powerful than Magikarp, I believe the evolution would take place at a higher level, say lvl.41?

:t318: Carvanha approves this evo

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years

This looks awesome! It would totally fit, but i would let him evolve somewhat sooner, maybe around 32?

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Evolution at around lvl.32 sounds more like it. Do you think the evo would be water-dark just like Sharpedo or maybe just a mono-water type?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Tough question...Basculin or his evo don't strike me as a dark type, but maybe some other 2nd type? i just don't know which

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Any new Evolution would be by new attack, Item, trade method, or new status (such as friendship) or based on location. Not by level. If it could have evolved by level it would have in Gen 5. When they make new evolutions its always a effort evolution. So if Basculin evolves its either based on a location or a new item or a new move.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
When they make new evolutions its always a effort evolution. So if Basculin evolves its either based on a location or a new item or a new move.

Thanks for pointing that out, i totally forgot that! I guess it could be by item or location then

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Razor Fang being the item to evolve it, probably because it's teeth are its most distinctive feature? Eh, just a guess, albeit probably a stupid one at that. xD;

It's not stupid at all, i actually thought of the same item myself ^^ would make sense!
Hmm I'm not a big fan of Illumise and Volbeat, so i wouldn't mind if they stayed the same...

But a Pokemon that definitely need an Evo is Farfetch'd! Please make him stronger and more usable, that little guy has a bunch of potential! I could even see him become a Flying/Fighting type

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
A Basculin evolution seems unnecessary though... it's just kind of there. It's one of the most annoying water types and I don't think it really needs to be celebrated lmao.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It got its evolution in the same generation though. I'd like to think that Basculin can stay forgotten in gen 5 and not given an evolution ;;

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
It got its evolution in the same generation though. I'd like to think that Basculin can stay forgotten in gen 5 and not given an evolution ;;

I actually like Basculin a lot and i don't think he is forgettable at all! He is a fiery little Fish and deserves an even better evo!! :D

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Exactly! There are also Pokemon such as Torkoal, and even Castform that would be pretty interesting with evolutions(even though Castform was mainly created for the sake of weather, but yeah). Grumpig is another one that I'd like to see have an evolution. It's....eh, I'd like to see an improvement in abilities. Thick Fat isn't bad, I suppose it's pretty useful if you're switching it in to a Fire Blast or something, but how much of a hit can it really take? I'm a huge fan of Grumping, and I was kinda disappointed to find out that it can't do much.

I posted a theory about how Torkoal might gain an evolution chain over in 'X/Y General Chat and Speculation,' so here it is in response to an evolution-related aside that bubbled up into that thread for a short time:

It's definitely possible~

You know what? I actually love to see more evolutions like that; it's like, expect the unexpected, you know? Like it blewwwwwwwwwww my mind when I found out that Trapinch can evolve to Vibrava; I'd love to see more unexpected evolutions!

Actually, what I want to see are explanations for these kinds of species-switching evolutions. It could be that Trapinch's evolution contains an unknown split in which whether or not it follows the branch leading to Vibrava and Flygon depends on the presence of another, possibly as-yet-undiscovered Pokémon inside either your party or the current trading session. The other branch could resemble the one in which Nincada evolves into Ninjask and leaves behind Shedinja, its cocoon, while also incorporating the commensal relationship created upon the cooperative evolutions of Shelmet and Karrablast into Accelgor and Escavalier, respectively, such that the other Pokémon present either in your party or during this trade would evolve into something that inhabits Trapinch's cocoon. I imagine that this new Pokémon's evolutionary result could be a pre-evolved form of Torkoal that hasn't yet developed Trapinch's cocoon, which might originate from its exoskeleton because of how that resembles a shell, into Torkoal's shell.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like that theory is just now linking things for the heck of linking them. Those families have no relation to each other, and I don't see four families from different generations getting linked to cause different evolutions, especially since by doing that we'd be breaking the only three stages per evolutionary family thing. If we were given a Torkoal pre-evolution/evolution (which I'd love!), linking it to random things isn't the way to get it.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
especially since by doing that we'd be breaking the only three stages per evolutionary family thing

Sorry if I'm abruptly changing the subject, but here it goes:
Do you think the 3 stages per evolutionary family will always be the maximum, or do you think we could get some 4 stages evolutions with the new generation?

Me personally, i could see it happening, but I'm not sure if I would like it or not. 4 Stages seems like a little bit too much, on the other hand, it could offer some awesome new possibilites...

Back