• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you talk about pokémon irl?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do you talk about pokémon irl? Are you open with your love for the franchise and to what point? Do you wear pokémon clothes and accessories or are you just admitting that you're on a pokémon forum or playing the games etc?

In the past I've been very secretive with the fact that I'm a huge fan of pokémon. I mean, not everybody staff a pokémon forum when they're 20+. I still don't mention the forum part, but I shout out my love for pokémon as soon as it's mentioned anywhere and most people seem to think it's cool that I'm knowledgeable about it xD Things change.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've always been open about my love of the franchise. Well, as open as an inverted person can be. It was booming in elementary school, so there wasn't any need to hide it. I remember having a Marill backpack and trading my snack money for Pokémon cards.

Yu-Gi-Oh! started getting popular in middle school and I got more into that, but I still played the Pokémon games and didn't really make any effort to hide it.

During my last couple years of high school, I got some of my friends into the Pokémon TCG, even though most people were playing Yu-Gi-Oh! or MTG. I sometimes wore Pokémon shirts (not that I had a lot, since it was rare to see them for sale around here) and I'm pretty sure I even strapped a Poké Ball to my belt-loop a few times.

I used Pokémon as the base of several of my assignments, like writing a short story "Lickitung Steps on its Tongue" in elementary and a newsletter about the arrival of Diamond & Pearl in high school (both were posted in the hallway and I got positive comments from other Pokémon fans). :)

I remained pretty open about my Pokémon fandom in college. I wore a Pokémon shirt on the first day, started up a small fan-club during my second semester, again based several of my assignments on Pokémon (like a Pikachu painting) and doodled them in my free time, traded with friends, and had lengthy discussions about how we could beat each others' favorite Pokémon (I don't think we ever did actually battle, though)... those were fun times.

I don't get out at all anymore, but my life still revolves heavily around Pokémon. 9 chances out of 10, I'm doing something Pokémon-related (be it playing the games, drawing them, reading about them, making up my own, or just thinking/talking about them in general). TPC, please hire me.

"If Pokémon were real" scenarios go through my mind far too often -- I have to remind myself that they're just cartoon characters and will never be real no matter how much I want to rub Wartortle's ears or poke Dunsparce's belly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 27, 2022
I turn 21 this year, and I'm still super open about my love for Pokemon. All my friends know that I (try and fail at) make Pokemon videos, and I'm always wearing t-shirts.

I think it's just become part of my identity, and I wouldn't be the same without it. I think Pokemon is also kinda seen as a 'cult-classic', so love of the games garners respect.

And I guess if anyone is hating on liking Pokemon, it's there loss!!

Years
In public I don't mind wearing shirts or hats or whatever, sometimes I strike up a conversation with a fellow Pokemon fan doing it. I also get positive comments when I bring some merchandise I find in a store to the checkout. But in school... well, 14 year olds aren't all that respectful. I don't deny my love for Pokemon, and I don't necessarily try to hide it, but some people aren't all that nice about it. SO, basically, I do when I can, yes :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
I don't wear Pokemon clothes or accessories, and it's not because I'm embarrassed to, but more so because it's not my style. I do however, openly talk about my love for the game as it's a classic turn-based RPG and really hard to hate if you've ever played it...I'm 21, go to work with people who're all around the same age, and we all mention how we love it and it's a classic.

Years
I always try to hide my love of Pokemon in real life, and often refuse to talk about it because of my huge fear people would consider it extremely weird at my age to still love the franchise because they view it as "only for kids".

Years
While I've never tried to hide the fact that I like Pokemon, there just aren't very many people that I know who actually still like it, so I don't really have anyone to talk with about it. Still, I've got a couple shirts that I wear every once and a while that I've gotten comments about, so there are still other Pokemon fans out there- I've just yet to talk with them for more than a quick second.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I don't really mention it unless I see something that reminds me of it, or if I'm asked about it. I'm not embarrassed or anything, but I don't want to talk about something somebody else probably has no interest in talking about.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2017
It's not really something I'd bring up, but I might go along with it if I encountered a person who enjoys it.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I don't preach about it but everyone in my dept at work knows I play it and have talked about it and 2-3 others have even downloaded an emulator and ROM on their phones.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'm very open about it. I brought my DS or used an emulator in high school all the time, and I would talk about Pokémon with anyone that was interested. I've even got a shirt or two, though most people around me don't understand them when I wear them.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I regularly talk about Pokemon when I'm meeting a new person, or with other Pokemon fans that I know in real life.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
With those that are a fan of Pokémon as equally as I am (or at least closely), of course! It's fun to be discussing the series every now and again; personally, I find it to be a good way to pass time. However, those that I do talk Pokémon with, I don't see around very often any longer, which is a shame. There are also a few people that I know who are a fan of this franchise, but unfortunately, don't usually find themselves having conversations about it with me or anyone else, as they like to keep it to themselves. It definitely would have been nice if they were more open on it.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
I didn't really talk Pokémon with anyone in real life until around when OR/AS got released when I realized one of the people in my class is about as big a nerd as I was and nobody really gave a shit that we played Pokémon so I guess so. I didn't really bring anything up before then because I knew that if I brought it up I'd be even more laughed at than I already was (i was kind of a dork back in the day so nobody actually liked me).

Years
Not really, I do kinda worry what people think as none of my friends are gamers and I am kinda old! If they were passionate about similar things then I might but I just don't think they'd get it.

Back