• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age/Coma Theory

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh my god. Everyone. Look. We know he's 10. We know why he's 10, it's fine that he's 10, and he's going to be 10, I don't care. He looks older and more mature sometimes, but he's 10. We know, we get it, so just chill out and have more fun speculating than coming in and stating the absolute obvious and crushing discussion. Please.

Last edited:
Years
Um... what else could we say? He drank the potion of immortality so he doesn't age...? I guess that's what happened, right?... right.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
You know I'd be fine with him staying 10 forever, but it's the really f***ing stupid references to time and age that are just thrown around carelessly through the series that piss me off, and all-in-all make the time dimension of the Pokeworld completely irrational.

Like, one thing off the top of my head is that Ash was told it would take one year to finish the Magnet Train back in the episode "A Goldenrod Opportunity".

In the latest episode that aired in Japan, Cilan and Iris used the Magnet Train to get to Johto.

This is just one of the endless references that have been made that just piss me off tbh.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
@Seattle People come up with interesting things just chatting about it. It doesn't have to simply be about Ash's age- it can be about how something's messing with timelines. Maybe Ho-oh granted him an eternal journey. Maybe he's a robot. Perhaps he's cloned every time a new generation comes around from DNA and mental blueprints taken before he left Pallet Town the first time and infused with his previous iteration's memories and behavioural patterns, but the Unova clone didn't receive the data transfer. That could have been initially taken so that if he died on his journey, Delia wouldn't be left without a son. **** if I know, I'm just making **** up off the top of my head here. It's not hard to come up with something interesting and then explore it.

@Pedro That bothers me a bit too. And like... he's had various anniversaries with Pikachu and he spent what, two months freeloading off Cynthia while waiting for the Unova League to happen? And the Deerling changed throughout BW and... yeah. Time's passing.

Years
What I'm trying to get at, is that the Original Poster seemed genuinely confused as to why Ash seemed to never "age" in the anime, so we just accordingly answer as best as we could, and I don't understand why we got called out for that.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
The OP is proposing theories and asking "what do you think about them". He proposes the Coma theory and the Unova AU theory, which are both in-universe explanations of inconsistencies. Those that just say "he's forever 10 because marketing" are not actually contributing to the original post. Besides that, a thread is not just about an OP. A thread is a conversation, and ignoring all the additional commentary going on is rather rude. This thread in particular is on page 3/post 66 of an ongoing conversation, which you're just ignoring to respond to what you think the OP was saying. That's why I'm calling you out on it. Would you do that in the DCC? Would you do that in any of the counting games? No. So why not avoid that behaviour in a topical discussion?

Years
HOW ASH CAN STILL BE ****ING 10 YEARS OLD.

To me that doesn't seem like he intended to talk about theories in the first place, even though the thread has evolved so. His typing in all caps implys that he genuinely wants to know why Ash is still 10 years old, so some of us have replied with our opinions. Nowhere in the original post does the original poster imply that he knows all the marketing business or whatever. To be fair to the Original Poster, though, it is understandable that it's easy to be confused about this, because as PEDRO12 mentioned, the anime mentions time like months, years etc. Maybe that's something that I've failed to see, I don't know.

I don't find the relevance of comparing this thread to a DCC. Unlike many other threads including this one, DCC doesn't have a specifically set topic for us to discuss so it'd be necessary to look at the past 5 or so posts if I don't want to steer the discussion off-topic.

Also, thread is not a conversation. Last time I checked, Thread is:
9. Computers. a series of posts on a newsgroup dealing with the same subject. (source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thread)
a series of messages that have been posted as replies to each other (source: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/thread.html)

Nowhere does it say anything about a conversation. Even then, conversations in a forum used by many people do not have to be linear. As long as the post has anything to do with explaining the peculiarity of Ash's age in the anime, I don't see the problem. However I apologize if you thought I was being rude in any way, as I didn't intend to be disrespectful by simply answering with all that I know, though I suppose I'm not the friendliest person in the forum so I may have come across as more assertive than I'd hoped to be.

Last edited:

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
I really hate how most people assume the anime flows in the same timeline as real life and he should therefore be twenty something.

I think the anime has it's own timeline.

We have 791 episodes. From what I've seen the episodes show between 1/3 of a day to 3 days, I have most often seen 1 and 2 day episodes with the less then 1 day episodes being pretty rare ones that are usually part of the major plot.

It's obvious that Ash spends some time at home, but being a trainer is his profession, so I'm not guessing he spends much time there. probably 2-3 months.

And in the end... ah screw the math, I think he's fourteen. Everyone I met thought I was 9 when I was fourteen, it makes since.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm simply taking the Pokemon World and its lack of took timing and aging as the same thing as Detective Conan. It's a popular manga which has been going on for many years and yet it doesn't seem like a year has passed. However, there have been plenty of references to time and on top of that technology has progressed at the rate our technology progresses. But if a year was ever stated then the series would still really be in the 90s.

It's just something that happens because the creators does not want the character to age or age really slowly for some reason. Thus because of it a lot of discrepancies happen between how old characters are/how much time has past the references to the time and how much time should have passed.

So frankly, the Pokemon world has like a million days a year and thus is the reason why Ash hasn't age and probably won't unless they finally decide 'OH HEY A YEAR HAS PASSED' like... officially and it's not some translation dubbed thing like that one special. Other canons (Tales of the Abyss) has longer years than ours (700+ days a year) so hey why can't Pokemon right? It doesn't bother me that Ash is ten because whenever the subject is brought up I just think of it like that.

I could have probably worded this whole post better but it's 1:30am and I can't be bothered to. Maybe some other time.

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
New Theory of Ash's Age

Okay guys i have been watching the original series on Boomerang and they recently showed the episode "Showdown at the Poke-Corral". In the episode Gary confirmed that the Pokemon League meets in the same place once every year. If this is true, i can confirm that Ash is at least 16 years old. As he has been to 6 official Pokemon Leagues:

1. Indigo League
2. Orange League
3. Johto League
4. Hoenn League
5. Sinnoh League
6. Unova League

Go to 5:53 minutes where Gary says this statement. If you want to see this for yourself.

The OP is proposing theories and asking "what do you think about them". He proposes the Coma theory and the Unova AU theory, which are both in-universe explanations of inconsistencies. Those that just say "he's forever 10 because marketing" are not actually contributing to the original post. Besides that, a thread is not just about an OP. A thread is a conversation, and ignoring all the additional commentary going on is rather rude. This thread in particular is on page 3/post 66 of an ongoing conversation, which you're just ignoring to respond to what you think the OP was saying. That's why I'm calling you out on it. Would you do that in the DCC? Would you do that in any of the counting games? No. So why not avoid that behaviour in a topical discussion?

Also i believe i found some supporting evidence for the Coma theory as well. In the opening scene of the episode the "Showdown at the Poke-Corral", the dream scene is the same scene as the one used in the opening theme song for the Orange Islands Arc. Which i find to be interesting. So it seems like Ash must of hit his head sometime before the Indigo Pokemon League and dreamed up all of the events that follow.

Last edited:
Years
I think that Coma theory is bogus. I think somebody had too much time on their hands writing that thing though I'll give it to them, it's a product of their imagination in some way or another, even if their proposition has some, if not a lot of flaws.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Okay guys i have been watching the original series on Boomerang and they recently showed the episode "Showdown at the Poke-Corral". In the episode Gary confirmed that the Pokemon League meets in the same place once every year. If this is true, i can confirm that Ash is at least 16 years old. As he has been to 6 official Pokemon Leagues:

1. Indigo League
2. Orange League
3. Johto League
4. Hoenn League
5. Sinnoh League
6. Unova League
Keep in mind that each league is in a different region. That said, each league might not happen at the same time so there is time for Ash to go to another region and gain the badges to compete in that league without it having been a year. When Gary talks about the Pokemon League happening once every year he could have easily just been talking about the Indigo League. Just my two cents on that "confirmation".

I don't believe it's the coma theory. I don't believe the Ho-Oh theory either (although it's a cute theory ngl). What I have already said earlier in the thread is simply what I believe when it comes to Ash's age.Pokemon is definitely not the first case of having this lack of time and aging happening and causing a load of inconsistencies because of it. Honestly, other than that I can't really think of a incanon reason for it other than they having like five of each season and 23892890 days a year so Ash doesn't age during the saga just like the other series I watch (though it's more ridiculous because they actually have people celebrating birthdays and set dates happening. Talk about confusing as hell. Be glad Pokemon doesn't be that specific as far as I remember/am concerned).

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
I don't know about you, but i am sick of Ash. They wanted to make the series about Red (of course) but didn't want the series to follow the games so strictly so they came up with this junk. I don't say i hate the show as a whole, just ash's personality and age. if everything happened in 2 months then the whole story wont make sense because he was shown sleeping and walking through the night A LOT. This could not happen in under 2 months like they said above with the Pikachu short, the silver conference, the Indigo leauge and the changing outfits. It means he came home to change outfits for his next journey for like every 2 weeks. He should be 15-16 by now because of the Day-Night system i mentioned earlier, the deeper voice and he also become more experienced and calculated in his strategies. I would not mind a time skip (like in Shippuden or One-Piece) that nothing occired in-between the original timeline and the skipped one. That would be a good move to cover up this age-reset in Unova.

Seriously ? After shows like the Simpsons , family guy , rugrats we are still wondering why he's 10? Lol he's ten because he's being marketed to little kids. He doesn't age because the anime is based on a game and not a manga where the writer aged the charecter lol

rugrats made a new season few years ago when the babies are teenagers. YEAH. He IS marketed to little kids, no doubt, but its the references to aging and maturing that is sickening me. Cilan and Iris go to jhoto in the magnet train although it said itll take a year to finish building it back in Jhoto. The pokemon universe has shown many people clebrating birthdays or key events in time which didnt matter an episode later. It's that kind off stuff that annoyes me.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Let's talk about this tumblr post.

BAKUTARO:
I always wonder if the people who complain about Ash's age/maturity forget that he is the main protagonist in a series aimed for kids to watch. From what I understand, kids in Japan often find older characters boring. What do you think?

PKMNCOORDINATORS:
I fully understand why Ash doesn't age — because a 10-year-old protagonist is more relatable to children — and I think that aspect of it is fine. My problem with Ash remaining 10 is because of the way the series handles continuity. Yes, believe it or not, the Pokemon series has continuity.

People often cite Timmy Turner or Bart Simpson as animated characters who stay one age for a very long time. There's a difference, though. The Fairly Odd Parents and The Simpsons do not have an overarching plotline that suggests the passage of time. Pokemon does.

Pokemon is a travel narrative. It is journeying from one place to another, accomplishing tasks, working toward a final goal or destination within a set amount of time. You'll often hear characters say things such as, "It will take a few days to reach the Pokemon Center," "The next contest is in two weeks," or "The Kanto League begins in three months." Once we reach that destination or event—that Pokemon Center, that contest, that league—we know that the specified amount of time has passed.

The problem is, this time passage has amounted to years, but Ash is still 10. Ash himself has said a year has passed multiple times, but he is still 10.

It breaks down to this: Time is passing in Pokemon, but no one is getting older, and that's a flaw in the series' continuity. Relatively speaking, time is not passing in an animated series like FOP and The Simpsons, therefore there is no hard continuity, so it's OK if the characters remain one age.

For someone who has been watching the Pokemon anime since I was a child, the continuity error with age is jarring. Yet, I understand that the series is not directed to me or my age group and that most viewers stop watching Pokemon at some point — which is why I don't make a big fuss about it or let it hinder my enjoyment of the series.

I still don't think that you should place an age stagnant character in a moving story, but for the sake of the longevity of the Pokemon series and the maintenance of Ash as the main protagonist, I understand why it occurs. Pokemon was intended to be only one series — through the Kanto league, with the first movie being the finale. It was so wildly popular, though, that it kept going. Yet, the writers had built this moving world and there was no changing that. As a result, Ash has to stay 10 in a narrative where time passage occurs, because he still needs to remain relevant to his young audience.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the issue. While Ash's age is undoubtedly an irksome continuity error, as older viewers, we have to learn to suspend our disbelief if we want to enjoy the series — because I don't think Ash is aging anytime soon.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Let's talk about this tumblr post.
Spoiler:
This was all put perfectly, to be honest. One of my main fears is that people are complaining about Ash's age, and his age won't change because the producers want the show to be aimed at a younger audience.

I fear that at some point in the future, they might actually change the main character to introduce someone who can logically still be young, kinda like YGO did (not for the same issue but w.e).

Years
I saw something somewhere that explained:
Ash saw Ho-Oh at the very beginning of the show(ep. 1). And a pokeDex entry says that whoever sees Ho-Oh is given eternal happiness. So, for Ash, eternal happiness is to stay 10 and always be on a pokemon journey.

I feel you are correct i wish poke fans who can draw and animate could make a anime starting from the og 151 following ash again i think it would be cool he could fully evolve squirtle and bulbasaur then as for your sigh i think you are talking about legend of korra i think she gets stolen by furry foot

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Yeah it also makes me crazy. Well Ash has traveled 6 or 7 for now. And he doesn't know what is Roar. Well in a episode of Black & white maybe when he was fighting with linora he faced the move roar. i Got shocked when i knew he didn't even know what roar is. well a 6 years kid will knew about it if he play emerald. And yeah Ash age always confuse me. Well you are right Ash need to be am.. 19 or 20 years old as now. but maybe anime showing Ash's age 10 years to B&W first episode. somethings. It goes crazy when i think anything about Ash age. And yeah Pikachu need to be the strongest Pokemon of Ash. as Pikachu have been a friend of Ash and traveled the world with Ash and also fought and won many matches with Pokemon but he loses to a lvl 5 or 10 Snivy. And Maybe Charizard is much stronger then Pikachu. in the first season Ash is shown to be 10 Years old and to Black&white it hasn't change a bit ? I mean he traveled 6 region in a year ????????

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I don't understand why people want Ash to age. Many animated shows keep their characters at the same age, especially the ones made for younger audiences. Even if Ash were to age, I'm sure the only difference would be his voice and appearance (which both have already changed multiple times throughout the anime). His strategy and insight on battling has already aged quite a bit since OS.

Back