• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trick Room/Troll Team

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
[Edited post because of typo]
Hi everyone!

So, I've been dying to give trick room a shot in a team, and I noticed some interesting pairings here and there across poke travels, so I thought it would be fun to make a table-turning centric theme that half relied on trick room, and half relied on stat boosts/afflictions.

I put question marks near things I'm especially uncertain of, but feel free to criticize any other weaknesses you detect. Let me know what you think can be improved or all-together eliminated :)

Thanks

Serperior @life orb?
contrary
1-leaf storm
2-giga drain
3-leech seed
4-substittue
EVs=speed and sp attack (?)
(considering I'll be relying on leaf storm for stat boosts, should I invest in defenses for longevity? and is life orb too risky?)

Malamar @ focus sash (?)
contrary
1-superpower
2-psycho chut
3-trick room
4-reflect?
EVS=hp and sp def

Cofagrigus @shell bell/light clay?
mummy
1-hex
2-will o wisp
3-light screen
4-attack split
EVs=HP and sp defense (?)
(should I spend my EVs solely on defense and not blindly "trust" in its base def?)

Shuckle @leftovers
sturdy
1-double team
2-toxic
3-protect
4-gyro ball/ sandstorm(?)
EVs=sp def and defense

Escavalier @rocky helmet
swarm
1-swords dance
2-x scissor
3-iron head
4-double team/trick room (?)
EV=attack and defense

Ampharos @Ampharosite
static
1-dragon pulse
2-surf
3-thunderbolt
4-thunder wave (?)
EV=speed and sp attack

(I think I did a poor job with this move set...)

So, if Ampharos gets scrapped I was also thinking of:
Starmie:
natural cure
1-recover
2-cosmic power
3-surf
4-thunderbolt/psyshock (?)
EV= sp attack and speed

In terms of strategy, the goal was to make each member uniquely dangerous, with the hopes of overwhelming the opponent and not knowing what to address first. This would probably work best in a double/triple battle, but I can see it working in singles as well. The goal is to start with a speedy phase using serperior/starmie (if I use starmie), and then changing gears if/when they expire to the trick room set filled with slow wall types. I admit, this is very experimental, but I'm excited to train these guys up.

I'm debating between starmie and ampharos because it would be a shame to not exploit a mega evolution, and ampharos's speed does work well with trick room, buttttt starmie's move pool has more synergy, imho. also, I wanted a 1:3 split between fast/slow so my team isn't too dependent upon the presence/lack of trick room.

Speaking of, would it be worth it if I put trick room on another team member?

Thanks!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Contrary Serperior is not available yet. It wasn't released in Gen V at all, so it's illegal right now at the time of writing. A better Contrary abuser is Malamar, even though it's mediocre in OU (saw it on your list, and I feel that it should be on this team, as opposed to Serperior; replace Serperior with something else):
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Superpower
-Rock Slide
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary

or
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Night Slash/Payback
-Superpower
Nature: Careful
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers

or
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Superpower
-Taunt/Rest
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Cofagrigus is better off as an offensive Trick Room user:
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 248 HP/252 SAtk/8 SDef

Double Team is frowned down upon in competitive battles; it turns the game into a luck-based one. I could suggest Carbink, but it's in the same boat as Shuckle. I could suggest Diancie, but it's not officially released yet. Better defensive Pokemon to use include Aggron and Ferrothorn:

Aggron:
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Thunder Wave/Ice Punch
-Earthquake/Rock Slide
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy

or
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head
-Earthquake/Ice Punch
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy

Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
-Power Whip/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Ability: Iron Barbs

Escavalier is better off as an Assault Vest user. Invest in HP first before a defensive stat for bulky Pokemon:
-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Drill Run
-Pursuit/Knock Off
Nature: Adamant/Brave
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
Item: Assault Vest

Ampharos can't learn Surf and can't have Sand Veil as a possible ability; you may be referring to Heliolisk here. Since I suggested Mega Aggron as a potential replacement, Ampharos may have to be replaced. Can't think of any, atm.

Your suggested Starmie set doesn't use Starmie to its full potential. Cosmic Power is only good on Sigilyph, with its Stored Power/Psycho Shift combo in conjunction with Flame Orb makes the move viable. Starmie should stick to Rapid Spin support:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
Bahahaha how silly of me--I pasted the move set up format from another list, and looks like a forgot to completely substitute ampharos's ability data. Sorry for that! And how strange, I remember surfing on Ampharos in the days of gold and silver, but maybe my memory is just bad haha.

I have a question about Serperior, I was planning on just using an ability capsule on one of my snivys--is it still illegal if I do it that way?

And thanks for all of your other suggestions!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Bahahaha how silly of me--I pasted the move set up format from another list, and looks like a forgot to completely substitute ampharos's ability data. Sorry for that! And how strange, I remember surfing on Ampharos in the days of gold and silver, but maybe my memory is just bad haha.

I have a question about Serperior, I was planning on just using an ability capsule on one of my snivys--is it still illegal if I do it that way?

And thanks for all of your other suggestions!
Ability Capsule only works on Pokemon with 2 standard abilities. For instance, you can change a Bisharp's Inner Focus to Defiant, but you can't change a Froakie's Torrent to Protean.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
Ahhhhh you just saved me many, many, many hours of frustration--thank you!

Back