• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the hardest ROM hack that you ever played?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Dark Rising and Pokémon Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians, mainly LoG because of how I had to fight the 1st Gym Leader THREE times, and I chose Bulbasaur as a starter. Luckily I had a Luxray.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Pokémon Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians has to be the hardest Hack iv'e ever played. It was quite intense fighting the Master 17.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
To be honest, the hardest hack I've played is Pokemon Vega.

This is mainly because the important battles are really difficult. The first gym leaders were brutal.

The Bug-type woman's Shuckle is way too bulky, and you have to overwhelm it to beat it, cause of the healing items. The Rock/Ground/Fighting dude's Hitmonchan is brutal. You want to use Poison-types? Boom, Psychic Punch. Want to use Ghost or Psychic-types? Boom, Shadow Punch. The water gym leader has a Starmie that's extremely hard to beat, but aside from that it's not that bad. But that freaking Porygon-Z? My god. I'm not finished with it, but I think it will get a bit harder. And also, you have like 5 or so grass types (Pot-in-a-plant, Cherry mon, Abomasnow, Exeggutor and the starter (Which thankfully I got with Thick Fat)) before the Elite Four, and the others are reserved for post-game. (Breloom, Lilligant, some other Fakemons) However, since the game has a very good post-game (At least from what I've seen), it would be interesting since many of the Pokemon are post-game. That's kind of nitpicking, but whatever.

Honorable mention goes to Touhoumon Emerald. (This weird version that is just Emerald with the Touhoumons, no major changes or anything)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 14, 2015
Im surprised no one has named pokemon resolute or dark rising, resolute mainly because of the fact that your consistently at a type disadvantage and dark rising because you are constantly underleveld

Years
Im surprised no one has named pokemon resolute or dark rising, resolute mainly because of the fact that your consistently at a type disadvantage and dark rising because you are constantly underleveld

I know, right? I'm really surprised that absolutely no one in the last few pages has mentioned Dark Rising at all, because it's certainly the most difficult one I've played.

ZoruaAndAbsol

Master of Illusions
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 10, 2022
Definitely Dark Rising. I tried taking the Nuzlocke Challenge, but i said screw it and just played it regularly. Even though you can catch alot of legendaries, it doesn't help much. At the end of the game, it is super hard.

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Althought it's an RPG maker game rather than a hack, I would most definitly have to say Pokemon Reborn; it's not difficult because the level curve is nonsensically steep, but because the trainers and boss battles have good pokemon with good EVs and movesets. I found myself losing to certain gym leaders five times over.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 12, 2014
Definatly Pokemon Dark Rising amean seriously just play dark rising and you'll know wat i mean cause that game your pokemon actually reaches to lv 100 O_O

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 8, 2014
probabley fire red omega the teams the eddition of the attaks combination and of cours the high levels.

Years
Pokemon Dark Rising, I almost cried when I'm facing the champion XD
DRG makes her first hack a monster hehe.
Even my Level 100 Salamence stood no chance against Dark Lugia.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I thought BlazeBlack and VoltWhite were pretty hard because all of the stat buffs and changes to many pokemon threw me off guard. The gym leaders were much more challenging especially Clay's Excadrill with the sand team. Yikes.

223mile

223mile
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 12, 2015
it is Dark Rising especially in facing the champion that took me 2-4 hours just defeating it.

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
Shiny Gold X.

I'm pretty sure it was designed to be harder than the usual Shiny Gold.
So, does it count as a Hardest ROM hack?

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
Years
Dark Rising has to be the hardest pokemon rom known to the Human Race.
Hey, you know what I'm about to go beat it again.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
The hardest I've ever played was definitely Touhou Puppet Play Insane.
I was crazy difficult, and I never got very far. :(

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Dark Rising is near impossible to defeat without Toxic/Leech Seed/Will-O-Wisp and maybe some Sleep-inducing moves like Spore. And even then, the major trainers always use Full Restores and have a ton of them. EVing and breeding for perfect IVs is a must.

Years
  • Age 22
  • UK
  • Seen May 3, 2016
Pokemon Vega is definitely the hardest for me. It's incredibly difficult (Shuckle and exploding Pinecos at first gym, anyone?), but it's really fun and the best part is that it looks like a real game, and the fakemons are so amazing! The only downfall is that it's only in Japanese...

Back