• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY has restored my interest in the anime.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Best Wishes made me stop watching the anime and only play the games, but XY has renewed my interest in the anime. Did they get different writers or something? Why was BW so awful and XY is so good? It's not as good as the DP and prior series, but it's enjoyable.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Best Wishes made me stop watching the anime and only play the games, but XY has renewed my interest in the anime. Did they get different writers or something? Why was BW so awful and XY is so good? It's not as good as the DP and prior series, but it's enjoyable.

I stopped watching the anime regularly after Hoenn so I wouldn't know. I watched the first few episodes of Best Wishes and some of X and Y and they both seemed alright to me. Didn't notice much of a quality difference except they seem to want Ash to finally mature a little bit, romantically at least, in X and Y.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
XY isn't perfect, but it's certainly a major improvement over BW for me. I didn't completely stop watching like you did, but BW was significantly less bearable for me to watch. I think by the time I saw five of the Decolore episodes, I stopped watching for a bit because that was a filler nightmare.

I think once all the main XY companions start firing on all cylinders, the series will be really good, because it started out a tad slow.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I have to agree. Although I liked Unova, I stopped watching after the League because it was filler ville. A;though I did miss a hand full of episodes, mainly because I was too busy to watch early in the morning and didn't have DVR.

Kalos has become my favorite anime generation. Even the fillers have been great. I never thought I would see the day when Hoenn was knocked out of my favorite series. Ironically, we got remakes of Hoenn in the generation that knocked Hoenn out of my favorite series. Kalos is also the first season of pokemon where I couldn't wait for the next episode.

Now I will admit, some of the fillers, not many of them, are not so great. But they are still good.

Years

Well, I'm fairly certain they had a writing team change, and I know for a fact that they have a different person in charge of show direction than in the Best Wishes seasons.

Best Wishes flopped because it was basically a total reset without actually being a total reset. A total reset would have seen Ash replaced. Best Wishes also followed the initial format for each previous region far too closely, introducing each character as Ash met them as well as doing something to nearly completely nerf Ash and Pikachu, rather than taking the XY route of starting things off like Ash is actually a trainer who was able to compete in 5 different regional leagues and introducing at least one of the characters several episodes before he/she (in XY's case, she) met Ash.

There's also the case that Best Wishes kind of had to get a near-full rewrite halfway through season one in order to accommodate the fact that Black 2 and White 2 were being released, as well as kill off the Team Rocket-Team Plasma sub-arc due to the tsunami and earthquake that struck Japan pretty hard around that time, which both definitely impacted writing quality. The Best Wishes Meloetta arc is clearly the best Pokemon anime arc in existence, though.

And XY's probably had to alter a few episodes so far and for a few has definitely had to delay their releases (blue-haired PokePuff girl seemed to be written like she was going to be a rival of Serena's rather than a CotD, but her Japanese VA has apparently been having serious mental health issues, so if that was a planned Serena storyline, it's been completely cut in favor of the current Serena storyline, since the Japanese animation industry has this thing about characters belonging to certain VAs; and then there's the fact that episode 22 got delayed for around 30 episodes due to a Korean cruise liner being stranded/sinking somewhere between Korea and Japan around its initial scheduled release).

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
X and Y was a top notch, comparing to BW. I mean, we're being a bit too unfair with unfair with BW. Both Cilan and Iris were good companions, but Ash was literally the worst Ash of all the series ever.

I particularly enjoyed Iris,she was a good character tbh. And I don't think BW was the worst one, I think AG was even worst than the Best wishes.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
X and Y was a top notch, comparing to BW. I mean, we're being a bit too unfair with unfair with BW. Both Cilan and Iris were good companions, but Ash was literally the worst Ash of all the series ever.

I particularly enjoyed Iris,she was a good character tbh. And I don't think BW was the worst one, I think AG was even worst than the Best wishes.

Maybe I have nostalgia bias, but in order of quality, I rank them:
1) Original Series
2) Advanced Generation Series
4) Diamond & Pearl Series
5) XY: The Series
6) Best Wishes Series

Don't get me wrong. Best Wishes has plenty of enjoyable moments and episodes. I love Iris as a character too. It's just not as good compared to all the other series. I particularly like how they make Ash mature in XY with hinting at a romantic relationship with Serena and all. It's like he's finally aging after almost 20 years. About time.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I'm sorry but I think you should watch Advanced Generations again and compare them to Best wishes. Best wishes is miles better.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019

I agree, Best Wishes is really underrated in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023

AG was one of the better handled arcs of the series, what are you talking about? May was one of the best developed female companions of the anime, the Contest episodes were the most popular addition to the show, Drew and Harley were the best rivals for a female companion in the series, and Ash became a competent trainer for the first time and evolved almost all his Pokemon. Ash's Hoenn team of Sceptile, Swellow, Corphish, Torkoal and Glalie, (and later Donphan in BF) were among his best teams of the show. We also get to see Ash conquer the Battle Frontier which is the first time Ash won something big since Orange Islands.

Also Brock and Team Rocket were still actually funny in AG, unlike how bland they become in DP and further series.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
AG was one of the better handled arcs of the series, what are you talking about? May was one of the best developed female companions of the anime, the Contest episodes were the most popular addition to the show, Drew and Harley were the best rivals for a female companion in the series, and Ash became a competent trainer for the first time and evolved almost all his Pokemon. Ash's Hoenn team of Sceptile, Swellow, Corphish, Torkoal and Glalie, (and later Donphan in BF) were among his best teams of the show. We also get to see Ash conquer the Battle Frontier which is the first time Ash won something big since Orange Islands.

Also Brock and Team Rocket were still actually funny in AG, unlike how bland they become in DP and further series.

I do agree that AG is probably a bit better than BW, though not by much. At least AG actually depicted Ash as actually being somewhat of a pro, unlike BW, and at least Ash didn't lose the league in a really humiliating fashion (though I will contend that, barring BW, AG's turnout was the absolute worst). However, the gym battles were poorly handled (I know Ash is supposed to be a veteran trainer, but for goodness sakes, that DOESN'T mean they should have his rookie team practically beat the Gym Leaders that easily. Probably the only Gym Leader who unambiguously actually posed a challenge to Ash was Brawley. That's actually pretty sad, when the GLs of Hoenn were reduced to basically being COTD versions of Team Rocket. Please don't try to claim they had some sort of prodigies or prior experience, so did Kanto's team and Johto's team and Sinnoh's team, yet even they didn't shred their regional GLs like tissue paper.). And quite frankly, having Ash stay at his rank from Johto instead of, you know, actually increasing in rank basically made at least Hoenn, if not AG extremely pointless to watch (since, let's face it, the entire point of the journey is to get stronger, and how can he be considered better than before if he basically didn't even get a better rank than before?), and it also doesn't help that his sole true achievement in the series, beating the Battle Frontier, basically got treated like nothing by Gary with Electivire, and then there's the fact that they decided to replace May after AG with Dawn just to have the latter do what May would have done anyways in terms of goals, which basically meant that all of May's development and creation was effectively made pointless (and honestly, if they aren't even going to bother replacing Ash with the regional male trainer precisely because he's the face of the show allegedly, then why bother replacing May regarding her contest goal? And I don't even like her.). I never really found Brock to be that funny regarding his womanizing gag (actually, it disturbs me that with AG they are reducing him to a Glenn Quagmire character), and in fact, he proved to be even more useless than in Johto (and let me tell you, he barely had a use when he managed to do that contest in Beauty and the Breeder, and didn't focus on having his Pokémon mate or even raising eggs during Johto, despite the breeding mechanic being introduced in GSC). I also thought the inclusion of contests was pointless anyways, especially when the contests in the games not only don't even lead to the end credits, they don't even contribute to the main plot at all (in fact, they really don't contribute much other than possibly evolving Feebas into a Milotic). And anyways, if they were really that popular, please explain why they were cut out by the time of Best Wishes? Lastly, I actually found Team Rocket's presence to be extremely pointless, and in fact, arguably AG ruined them. Honestly, at least in the Original Series, while they were comical, they did actually prove to be genuine threats most of the time. In AG, they were more like nuisances, not even remotely threatening. They didn't even get serious until BW, and even that was basically mangled. In fact, Takeshi Shudo should have replaced Team Rocket instead of Misty. As far as how you can replace them, simple: have Team Magma (the entire organization I mean) try to abduct Pikachu so they could force-feed it the Red Orb, viewing him as a suitable host for awakening Groudon (since the Magma vs. Aqua arc did have Pikachu becoming possessed by the orb). If you're going to have a recurring main antagonist, you need to make sure they actually qualify as a threat, whether they are comical or not. The Joker is quite comical, yet he actually proves himself to be a threat. General Blue was very hilarious, yet he actually proved to be a threat to the characters. JJM in AG and DP didn't even qualify as actual threats, focusing far too much on being comedians than, you know, actual villains.

As for BW, honestly, depicting Ash as being a huge manchild (heck, even keeping Ash in the first place since it was supposed to be a reset) and a total idiot even for him (Indigo League Ash at least had the excuse of being a rookie, BW Ash didn't), treating the GLs in an even worse manner than Hoenn, and having him actually bomb the Unova League (and to a guy who rivals even BW Ash in terms of idiocy), plus having Pikachu lose to a guy he frankly could not lose to in any way (Trip) and actually skipping the World Conference tournament which not only would have actually advertised B2W2 to some extent, but would have either ensured a return for Misty, or even give her a far better finale and true closure than in either OS or AG, plus having Dawn's cameo be utterly pointless (May at least had a transregional ribbon she could get in Sinnoh for her Johto trek as an excuse for her appearance in DP. Unova doesn't even have Pokémon Contests, so Dawn had zero business in Unova anyways) was just bad, and thus has BW being bar none the worst series ever. That being said, there were some good things about it: They did do Iris decently, not to mention when she left, they clearly learned from their mistake regarding Misty's departure and made sure she pursued her goal instead of being forced into a gym. Charizard not only returned, but was even made a semi-permanent roster of Ash's, and they did reference Ash's old team a lot.

XY did at least improve Ash quite a bit, though I'm not so sure about how they handled Serena (she barely had more of a reason to travel at all than May ever did [as May was travelling despite hating Pokémon, meaning she literally had no real reason to get into the Pokémon training enterprise in the first place, let alone travel with Ash], even if it was only because she was Ash's old friend, which isn't even that accurate anyways, and they barely even gave her a real goal until... what? A few episodes back? At least with Misty, she wanted to become a Water Pokémon Master to prove her worth to her spoiled sisters, Dawn wanted to follow in her mom's footsteps as a Pokémon Coordinator, and Iris wanted to prove herself to her community). And from what I can gather, it's at least doing some things better than with BW. Unfortunately, it's not enough to actually save it from being a ratings disaster. As far as me, I won't have any reason to watch the anime until Misty actually gets a proper return, and especially is actually allowed to pursue her goal instead of being forced into the gym.

I'm sorry but I think you should watch Advanced Generations again and compare them to Best wishes. Best wishes is miles better.

I don't know about whether AG is "worse" than Best Wishes (personally, I rank it slightly better, although only because Ash didn't come across as a huge retard in that saga, and Ash at least retained his rank instead of bombing the league), but I do agree that AG is actually quite close to it in regards to it being very bad. It's funny, people complain about Johto's use of fillers, yet if anything, AG felt more like a filler saga, especially when Ash doesn't even increase his ranking in the leagues (at least Johto actually had him doing far better in the Silver Conference than he did at the Indigo League, not just in ranking, but also overall since he actually managed to fight his rival and beat him). And that's just the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Uhm,what is the point of the series exactly?
As far as I can see, Ash - and with that the entire anime - has absolutely no goal after winning the Orange League. There is not a single episode that is not filler after that.
Or I missed something? Prof Oak has some hidden agenda sending the guy into new and new regions?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
All the Orange League was, was basically 5 gyms. Just set up different. Same with Frontier arc. He is exploring the enw pokemon and regions. He was never that good in Kanto. It is true, it was suppose to end in Pokemon 200 or so, but they made too much money t stop.

The only reason the anime still exists is because of the games. For me, I rate them like this.

1. XY
2. Advanced/Frontier
3. BW
4. Sinnoh
5. Kanto
6. Johto.

And yes, I was around when it first started and I watched it when I first started. Kanto was ok, but compared to others, it is horrible. Johto was just extremly boring. It was basically a clone to Kanto.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
If you want to know my rating, here it is -

1. Sinnoh (Idk but I just love it)
2. Kanto
3. XY
4. Johto
5. Black and White / Advanced Generations
6. Advanced Generations / Black and White

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
For the record, the Orange League was still a Pokémon League, so it still counts.

For my ranking, I'd go with this:

1. Original Series
2. Diamond and Pearl
3. Advanced Generation/Best Wishes (I wasn't sure whether to tie them or otherwise place them in ranking order, but I decided to tie them since they're both very bad, and the gym leaders in Unova if what Lizardo stated was true are even worse than in Hoenn.).

XY's not on the list because I can't gather much on how exactly it is, other than it being most likely better than Best Wishes at least.

For the record, I'm going by series, since the Original Series had two main regions instead of one, three counting Orange Islands, so I'm counting them as one series each.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I like DP and AG the best, then Kanto/Orange, then XY, then Johto/BW.

DP gets the top simply because of Paul, Pokehunter J, Galactic, Ash's Sinnoh Team, Dawn/Contest arc. AG gets second because May/Contests, Ash's Hoenn Pokemon, the humor, actual development, and being the second funniest arcs of the show. Kanto/Orange are good for the nostalgia and entertainment value....then XY (although XY might move up on my list depending on what happens in the future), then lastly Johto/BW.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Okay, after doing some calculations in light on the upcoming Clemont Gym Battle episode (which reminds me, I think that's the shortest time between GLs that Ash managed to do in XY so far), I might tentatively place XY at around either the same place as AG or around DP. It might even be upgraded to being above AG, if not actually usurp DP as the second-best series, if Ash actually wins the league or at the very least regaining the position of Top 4 instead of either retaining his rank from Unova or otherwise utterly bombing the region again like he did in BW. The reason why is because I'm not too sure of the implications of XY, or at least Kalos, having the same journey length as Hoenn at most, especially for its Gym Leaders (since AG treated the Hoenn gym leaders, exempting Brawley and possibly Roxanne, as utter garbage by having them utterly lose to a roster that was almost completely composed of rookies, barring Pikachu). But on the other hand, Ash did manage to lose to three quarters of the Gym Leaders on the first try so far (half, if you don't count his first fight against Korrina as an actual Gym Battle, and even during the actual gym battle, she at least lost against Pikachu, and her Mega Lucario was strong enough to actually give Pikachu, a veteran, an actual challenge [not surprising, as Mega Evolutions are about as powerful as Legendaries]), and even the one Gym Leader he beat on the first try so far, the Gym Leader in question, Grant, gave Ash the advantage from the start by having Ash use all six Pokémon on his team while limiting himself to two, so the Gym Leaders may actually be as impressive as the Sinnoh Gym Leaders, although still shy of the Kanto and Johto Gym Leaders, and certainly not as powerful as the Elite 4 of any of the regions.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
I like DP and AG the best, then Kanto/Orange, then XY, then Johto/BW.

DP gets the top simply because of Paul, Pokehunter J, Galactic, Ash's Sinnoh Team, Dawn/Contest arc. AG gets second because May/Contests, Ash's Hoenn Pokemon, the humor, actual development, and being the second funniest arcs of the show. Kanto/Orange are good for the nostalgia and entertainment value....then XY (although XY might move up on my list depending on what happens in the future), then lastly Johto/BW.

Ohhhh yeah, that's why I love DP a lot. Still sad when it ended. I still think DP was a great series, however I still like the Original Series mainly the Kanto Season more.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Honestly, I felt that Best Wishes was actually good relative to the other Pokémon series, minus three things that make it seem horrible:

1. Ash - BW Ash was objectively the dumbest incarnation of Ash to date
  2. Decolora Adventure
  3. That dreaded 2011 earthquake which ended up cancelling 2 of the most important episodes and permanently changing the direction of the plot

Outside of those flaws, I felt that these were BW's strong points:
  • Superior pacing
  • Actual plot buildup (as you can see from the first 24 episodes, the Meowth arc, the Meloetta arc, and a few more)
  • Good use of its episodes (like doing significantly more tournament/multi-episode arcs that had a surprising amount of synergy)
  • Team Rocket - Let's face it. "Missing the old Team Rocket" doesn't make the old Team Rocket objectively better; The Team Rocket trio is actually a huge minus to the Pokémon anime as a whole, but Best Wishes handled them infinitely better than any other series, minus Decolora (the worst part of BW)
  • The episodes felt much more natural since there wasn't a forced (and poorly executed) Team Rocket appearance every episode
  • Despite his early incompetence, Ash actually showed signs of improvement later in the series, and he did a good job at catching plenty of Pokémon (and his Pokémon showed much more character than the majority of his Kanto and Johto teams).
  • The soundtrack - I guess this doesn't really count for anything, but the soundtrack was definitely top-notch. Unfortunately, the dub started using their own cheap stock music around episode 40 onwards.

And I might as well bring up a couple of neutral points that I feel are worth mentioning:
  • Trip - While he was inferior to Paul by several light-years, he was still a significantly better rival than Gary. Now here's where Trip and Gary differ: Trip actually started out as a decent rival, but then the writers stopped caring about him and ended up giving him a horrible final battle with Ash, which left most viewers with a bad taste in their mouth. As for Gary, he was a downright lackluster rival from the beginning of Kanto until the very climax of Johto, but then the writers decided to give him and Ash one of the most excellent battles in Pokémon history, making it feel easier to redeem Gary and forget the mediocrity of his rivalry with Ash.
  • Iris and Cilan - They were only decent at best (though Cilan is miles better than DP Brock), and I can't say that they really stood out to me, but their lesser involvement with the plot traded off nicely for the series' great pacing, compared to the original series and the first 40-50 episodes of XY.
  • The Unova League - This is honestly one big hit-or-miss. Ash vs Trip was horrible, but the other battles were pretty decent, most notably Ash vs Kenyan (forgot his dub name) and Ash vs Cameron. Even though he lost the latter at 2-0, it was still a pretty decent standalone battle, albeit the disappointing results.

Now to give credit to the other series:
  • AG's absolute strongest points are Ash, his team, and a majority of the battles (all while still having a solid plot). Personally, I felt that AG had the best battles in the entire anime, as well as the most competent incarnation of Ash.
  • DP's strongest points are Paul, Infernape, Team Galactic, the character development (of the cast and their Pokémon), and the Sinnoh League. The Sinnoh League had such a climatic atmosphere that it almost felt like the finale of the Pokémon anime.
  • The original series' strongest points were its uniqueness, nostalgia value, the Silver Conference, and the beautifully executed goodbyes between Ash, Misty, and Brock.
  • As for XY, it seems to be combining a few of the strong points from the other series, most notably in terms of character development. Serena, Ash, and especially Citron all look like they're headed for some pretty good development. However, the writers are also doing some good plot buildup like Best Wishes, as well as unique episodes like the original series. The battles started out a little weak, but they're slowly getting better. I honestly have high hopes for XY, and I really hope that the writers won't drop a Decolora on us again, because gosh that would be painful.

Now I'd hate to end my post like this, but despite all of the strong points of the Pokémon anime, it's still a completely mediocre anime as a whole (especially when compared to the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon). The strong points in Pokémon are, for the most part, only good in Pokémon standards, since the quality of the Pokémon anime displays a relatively high degree of consistency.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash catching Goodra restored my interest But I lost it now because Ash going to release it.
If Ash isn't allow to keep the weakest Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon then He's not allowed to have Megevolution and it also mean he will not win the League.
In other word , There is no different between watching XY Series & rewatching AG Series.
Its obviously Ash going to lose Kalo league to another Writers Love-child only because he didn't had Megevolution.

Just think Which Pokemon going to replace Goodra ? A Skkido or Begmite ! Thats Goodra's replacement !
Its not like Ash going to catch a Free Tyrantrum ! Plus Tyrantrum only has Size , Its Movepool sucks.

Back