• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act

In a landmark ruling for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law blocking federal recognition of same-sex marriages.

The decision was 5-4, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.

"DOMA instructs all federal officials, and indeed all persons with whom same-sex couples interact, including their own children, that their marriage is less worthy than the marriages of others," the ruling said. "The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity."

Cheers went up outside the Supreme Court, where supporters of gay marriage waved signs, rainbow banners and flags with equality symbols.

The law helps determine who is covered by more than 1,100 federal laws, programs and benefits, including Social Security survivor benefits, immigration rights and family leave.

The ruling comes as states are authorizing gay marriage with increasing speed — 12 plus the District of Columbia now allow it — and with public opinion having turned narrowly in favor of gay marriage.

Under the law, gay couples who are legally married in their states were not considered married in the eyes of the federal government, and were ineligible for the federal benefits that come with marriage.

The case before the Supreme Court, U.S. v. Windsor, concerned Edith Windsor and Thea Spyer, a lesbian couple who lived together in New York for 44 years and married in Canada in 2007.

When Spyer died in 2009, Windsor was hit with $363,000 in federal estate taxes. Had the couple been considered by the federal government to be married, Windsor would not have incurred those taxes.

President Bill Clinton signed the act into law in September 1996. A court ruling in Hawaii had raised the prospect that that state might become the first to authorize gay marriage.

At the time, some members of Congress believed that the Defense of Marriage Act might be a compromise that would take the air out of a movement to amend the Constitution to block gay marriage.

YAY! That's all I can say, other than: It's about bloody time!

Sir Codin

Some faith in my country restored.

EDIT: In other news, Prop 8 was dismissed for lack of standing.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I liked DOMA :(

I wanted DOMA and DOCU (Civil Unions) so they can have the same benefits of marriage and it wouldn't be a big deal as it wouldn't be called marriage.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Finally, jeez. Now I guess here's hope to seeing much of the states legalize marriage for same-sex couples like dominoes over the next few years.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
It was about time, hopefully more states will be allowing gay marriage in the future, definately a step forward.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It's good to see that Same sex couples are taking another step toward equality.

I do find it strange that with the bans gone states without legal S.S. marriage are left in a twilight zone. One would think this ruling would automatically mean S.S.M. is legal nationwide... of course states have the final choice, strange how that works :/

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
so this is news because………………

I don't get people.

It's news because the LGBT community is a oppressed minority and these rulings today by the Supreme Court just made that oppression a little less effective. Seriously, I would have thought it would be obvious why this would be newsworthy.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The court only struck down one aspect of it.

What was declared unconstitutional was the provision prohibiting gay and lesbian couples from enjoying the tax breaks, pension benefits, and other monetary benefits that hetero couples enjoy.

It still leaves in place the provision saying that states don't have to recognize gay marriages from other states.

It's a win and a loss really - This is a benefit to those getting married or who are married, but it's not going to help those who are in states that prohibit gay marriage or those who refuse to recognize gay marriages from other states. A minor victory at most, since the more harmful provision is still legal.

Sir Codin

I wouldn't exactly call this a "minor victory", X.

Sure, the fight's still going on, but getting gay marriage to be recognized on a federal level is no trivial matter. With the exception of the more hardcore conservative states, I have a feeling these decisions will likely also be the catalysts towards legalizing gay marriage in most of the other states that have yet to recognize it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The court only struck down one aspect of it.

What was declared unconstitutional was the provision prohibiting gay and lesbian couples from enjoying the tax breaks, pension benefits, and other monetary benefits that hetero couples enjoy.

It still leaves in place the provision saying that states don't have to recognize gay marriages from other states.

It's a win and a loss really - This is a benefit to those getting married or who are married, but it's not going to help those who are in states that prohibit gay marriage or those who refuse to recognize gay marriages from other states. A minor victory at most, since the more harmful provision is still legal.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. Well as Carchar said the fight for their rights is still going on, proably will last another decade or two, hopefully less than that.

Sir Codin

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

- Winston Churchill

Years
wish I were home in California this weekend for Pride. It's gonna be nuts.

I know this isn't a perfect outcome. There's lots more to do, but for the moment I'm going to celebrate finally wiping away this smear on my home. :D

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Nobody who truly does cherish the U.S. constitution listens to Michelle Bachmann anyway.

Anybody who has even a basic understanding of the Constitution and of US politics knows that she's a moron and far too religious for her own good.

Nancy Pelosi said:
"Who cares?"

I'm with Nancy.

droomph

weeb
Years
It's news because the LGBT community is a oppressed minority and these rulings today by the Supreme Court just made that oppression a little less effective. Seriously, I would have thought it would be obvious why this would be newsworthy.

I thought it would be a little more obvious that I was being sarcastic also.

My point being, I don't understand why this is a big issue. Why are we debating this when we could talk about a whole host of other things, such as poverty, crime, and better acces to support for quality of life?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I thought it would be a little more obvious that I was being sarcastic also.

My point being, I don't understand why this is a big issue. Why are we debating this when we could talk about a whole host of other things, such as poverty, crime, and better acces to support for quality of life?

Why can't we do all of the above? (which is in fact happening). This particular issue just happens to be the news of the day. It doesn't mean all the other issues are being ignored. And besides which, these two rulings actually addresses all of the concerns you mentioned as well.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Not to mention that extending marriage rights to same-sex couples DOES increase their quality of life, as it means less taxes and several free rights such as visiting their spouse when they are at a hospital or being buried together, something they couldn't do before. It's true that there are bigger issues but having a broken car and a broken window that needs repairing doesn't mean you shouldn't care about washing your hands before lunch until all those problems are solved.

Back