• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you agree that "Fairy" types should've been dubbed "Light?"

Do you like it to be called Fairy or Light?

• Fairy

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • Light

Votes: 30 25.0%

• Total voters

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
Light pretty much embody what Fairy types are anyways. Fairy sounds pretty lame to me. I can't help but imagine those big powerful Dragons being reduced into a child's plaything by Fairies. At least Light would've sound 100000x better. It'd probably make Fairy Pokemon sound more majestic and a reason why Dragons should fear them.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Fairy wasn't a bad name in my opinion. They're called Fairy cause in many fairy tales , the evil dragons are beaten by fairies and their magic. So in that case, calling the type Fairy makes perfect sense. Also in said fairy tales, the fairies are weakened by iron. Hence why Fairy types are weak against Steel types.

Shhmew

Years
A rose by any other name is just as sweet.

I actually expected a new type like this would be called Light type, before fairy was announced, but I'm not disappointed by "Fairy" or anything [: I really like it regardless.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since types are an overall thing in Pokemon, not just game exclusive, I'm shipping this off to Pokemon General.

Years
I actually don't mind it being called Fairy, but it does seem more appropriate than "Light" in my opinion. Fairies are said to overcome evil and brute force, which explains the advantage against Dark and Fighting-types, also as Kouzan said they defeat the dragons in a lot of fairy tales which is why they are strong against Dragon-type.

The weaknesses of Fairy-type, Poison and Steel, are connected to the fact that fairies dried out when poisoned and being weakened by iron, which are apparently man-made, artificial sources. In fact, I was expecting X/Y would introduce a new type, and I was thinking it would be called Fairy. Damn was I so right.

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
I guess everybody's explanation here does have a point, but still. It's a personal preference. Idc if the story involves fairies defeating dragons, it still sounds pretty lame & girly to me. :I

Light does the same thing against Dragons, Dark, and Steel (Well, in a way). It sounds like the perfect alternative. Gaahh. I just can't see Hydreigon shaken by a mere Clefable. If it's Light Type Clefable, then yeah. I'd probably be okay with it. Lol.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I assume I would've become used to it, as I did with Dark, but for me, Light just never resonated as a good name for a type. Based on all the designs, I think Fairy fits a lot better than Light, to the point where they could even be two separate types.

Years
I think if it were have to been named the Light type, some players would automatically assume it was created to counter the Dark type, rather than balance out Dragon types. Yes, it's super effective over Dark types too, but I see that more of the pureness of the Fairies being stronger than the evil of Dark Pokemon. And like Kouzan pointed out, the Steel type weakness also makes sense too, whereas it seems like a tacked on weakness to a Light type Pokemon.

Also, when I see Pokemon like Flabébé, Cleffa and Togetic, Fairy seems to more accurately describe them than Light. Sure, it could've worked I guess, but I think that they made the right choice in the end.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I guess everybody's explanation here does have a point, but still. It's a personal preference. Idc if the story involves fairies defeating dragons, it still sounds pretty lame & girly to me. :I

Light does the same thing against Dragons, Dark, and Steel (Well, in a way). It sounds like the perfect alternative. Gaahh. I just can't see Hydreigon shaken by a mere Clefable. If it's Light Type Clefable, then yeah. I'd probably be okay with it. Lol.

Not all fairies are girly and cute you know. Just look at Jorgen Von Strangle from Fairly Odd Parents.

Jorgen_von_Strangle.jpg

And also in many folklore , fairies are evil and scary. They're known to steal babies ,drown people, murder children ,seduce men, steal things ,and even enslaved humans. http://io9.com/the-biggest-reasons-why-fairies-are-evil-510180209 Fairies are only known as cute and girly cause of modern Disney movies with characters like Tinkerbell and other media that are aimed at girls that feature cute faiires.

Unfortunately , the closest Fairy type Pokemon that fits this description are Mawille and Klefki. Klefki being based on the Pagan tradition of blaming fairies for stealing small objects such as keys.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If we were to dub any type to light, it would have to be fighting. Fighting stands for good and justice, which would be the same, exact purpose of light. Plus, fighting is super-effective against dark, which I'm sure light-type would be had it ever existed. d: As for fairy, I'd keep it the way it is. Not all fairies are good, you know? Some are, and some aren't. Witches are in the same category, but as most of us have seen in movies and TV shows, they usually have evil intentions.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
If you had ask me this exact questions before the reveal of fairy types, i would have said Light. Fairy just sounded so (im sorry) girly in my mind, i though Light was waaay cooler. Now that ive seen though which Pokemon received the Fairy type, i have to say the name is very spot-on!! It fits those Pokemon perfectly, so yeah, im all for the name "Fairy" now.
I also agree on the idea of Fighting Pokemon being closer to a Light type

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The Fairy type features creatures that are either cute, pink or mythological in a fairytale way. If a Light type was created, I feel that they would have retcon-retyped different species than they did now and also the weaknesses and strengths wouldn't have made as much sense. It would have been done differently.

So no, even though at first I was a bit disappointed in the strange new type name, I now believe that Fairy is a pretty good name for what they did.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I think you're just stuck in the mindset that dragons are big, mean, and manly and nothing can take them down unless it's something equally as big and mean looking. Even if fairy type was instead named light type they'd probably still be made up of mostly femme looking Pokemon.

I think the steel type is a better representation of light physically while the fighting type is essentially light in the form of justice. I don't think the fairy type really represents light at all. They just have ties with the moon/moonlight.

Guest123_x1

Given that the Fairy type name is kind of self-descriptive in regards to the Pokémon that have that type, even though they say light overcomes darkness, naming the type 'Light' sounds somewhat silly. Quite some time ago though, I was actually expecting a 'Light' type to be added sometime in the future. It's pretty much arrived, but not in the way I expected.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
When i first heard of the addition of the fairy type i thought the same thing. I truely thought that nintendo (or gamefreak) was going mad. But after living with it for as long as i have now... lets just say its grown on me.

Not to mention that there are some pretty awsome fairy types in the mix :)

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
I think a Fire or Electric type better signifies Light. Fairy type being the Light type wouldn't really make sense. Tell me in any way, shape or form how Azumarill looks like a Pokemon capable of manipulating light. As people have said before, the Fairy types being stronger agaisnt Dragons references the big and bad dragons being defeated by the smaller, cuter fairy.

Seriously, Chandelure and Lanturn has better hopes of becoming Light-type than Mr. Mime.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I don't think Light makes sense for them, it makes it sound like they're holy or justice seekers......when really they're largely cute pokemon who might be playful/mischevious.

I think Fairy allows for more designs too, since in folklore you can find nice and evil fairies. With Light they'd probably feel forced to make them all look holy.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
The name "fairy" doesn't relate to tinkerbell or anything like that. The fairy type is named after mythical monsters which could be more threatening than even dragons. Anyway I don't really mind fairy type and seeing as in Japan fighting type is pretty much called "light type" it wouldn't make sense for fairy to be called light.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
There does not need to be a Light-type. Yes, that's a matter of opinion, but we already have two debatable opposites to the Dark-type (Psychic and Fighting- take your pick) so what would be the point?

Fairy as a name fits perfectly for the Pokemon who have gained the type, though. I don't know about you, but I couldn't take Clefable being retyped to pure Light seriously. Not to mention the fact that, as has been said, Fairy isn't referring to cutesy little pixies- it's referring to much darker things from ancient folklore, that liked to play pranks and weren't the most friendly of things.

...The fact that most Fairy types are cute/foofy/pink doesn't help that argument much, but hey, that's not my fault.

Back