• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't forget to lock your computer!

Years
How many of you guys lock your computer/laptop/device when you aren't using them, but leave them running? What are some reasons you would lock your computer for?

For myself, I tend to lock my computers when I step away from them only for a few minutes, especially my laptop. People are actually really good at my college and mostly know better than to steal other peoples' belongings. However, I still lock my laptop so that people don't go using my laptop without my permission.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I just close my laptop. Is that the same thing? Because when it opens it makes whoever opens it log in, and if its not me opening it they're out of luck without my password haha.

Years
I don't tend to actually lock up any computers I'm using, especially if they're mine (usually nobody else around that will use them).

However, if I'm somewhere where I know someone else could use the same computer I am at any moment...still won't lock, but I will pretty much log out of everything I'm doing if I have to step away for anything. Do not want people poking around in any of my accounts.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'd say it would have to depend, but usually, I don't lock. When using my own computer, I would like to be able to access it with only click of a button or two, without much trouble. Plus, my computer usually stays in my room; nobody else tend to come in here and use the device directly without my permission. Well, I suppose my mom does this, but it happens only on rare occasion; I don't mind.

Though, I definitely do lock my phone, one way or another. I take it almost anywhere I go, and if somebody manages to get a hold of it, somehow, I'd be overly-worried of them using it and... generally messing with things. It's personal, and I strongly believe it would be best to keep it as such, if that makes sense! I do allow others to use it, but only when making some phone call or checking a webpage.

As for tablet, I don't lock due to similar reasons as my computer. I find myself using it very often, and it reduces a lot of hassle to be keeping it unlocked at all times.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I rarely lock my laptop, because for most of the time, I used it in home. Even though my laptop will lock itself if I hibernate it. But for the cellphones, it's another story, because I have most of the data, even important and private ones, in my phone.

pkmin3033

Normally I just switch it off; my new laptop boots up pretty quick so I don't need to lock it very often. Although it is password protected with a 4-digit pin number...because quick access is marginally more convenient than typing my password in.

I'm quite happy to leave it on in the house and come back to it, though. I have nothing on it worth hiding, and thankfully we operate on a policy of common courtesy in this house - you don't just browse through other people's things just because you're curious. Nobody is going to touch it, and I don't take it outside the house, so the password is just force of habit more than anything else, it isn't really necessary either.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
I don't think in any of my years of owning a computer that I've ever locked it.. I didn't even do it at public areas like school either where I would just leave the laptop while it's turned on. I was really never afraid of people checking it out, I guess? Then again, I'm a pretty open person and never feel like I have something to hide.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I've never really had any reason to lock my laptops in previous years. There's just no point. I do close the top down, or I try to when I'm not at home. If not, then my cat gets up onto my computer and messes things up. D: I do lock my iPhone and iPad with a passcode. I don't even know why. On my iPad though, I have a lot of personal stuff like my journal I write. So, that's one reason I lock my iPad all the time.

Anyway, I don't think there's any way to lock a mac laptop is there? O_O

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
My PC isn't password protected. Only I use it, but in case anyone needs to use it because of an emergency or something, it is there. If I had a laptop I'd probably lock it, though.

Years
Most of the time I just close my laptop and put it on sleep when i'm not using it. Since I don't share it, I don't see much of a need to sign out. Not helped by how annoying it is to have to type in my e-mail and password whenever I use Microsoft Word (or any Microsoft program for that matter).

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I don't think I've ever locked my computer. If I'm on the internet I disconnect from it and go do what I should do. If I'm not on the internet I leave it alone.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
I'm the same person who always locks his bedroom door at night, even if I'm alone.
So yes! My laptop is always locked.
It's mostly a comfort thing

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I wrote a script that uses my laptop's webcam. It detects when I get up and leave, and then locks itself afterwards. It's really nice to use.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
i normally just close linux xorg or swap screen to void. then leave the terminal on the front screen. annonys my sister its funny

And the best part is that nobody knows the secret.

Spoiler:

Back