• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Scary Graphics & Safety

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
Hey, I had 2 questions.

First, don't laugh at the question but I started cheating at pokemon red to go in the game in order to start with glitching. However, as I came across the first never-seen (which I have never seen, other people have of course) I already got scared by the weird graphics. Is it weird that I somehow get 'scared' by the graphics of certain glitch pokemon? It was the pkmn pokemon (hex C5) and it actually was normal, then it got a white line, then my option bar became white until I pressed the a button. It was a pretty weird glitch "pokemon".

Second of all, which glitch pokemon and trainers are safe to use (battling and/or capturing, because some glitch pokemon can cause a freeze) and which aren't? And will the glitch pokemon ever use a glitch move on its own which can crash the game?

Thanks for reading and answering and have a wonderful day.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
First, no, I don't think it's necessarily weird to get "scared" by glitch-related effects on your game. I used to be terrified of everything glitch-related when I was younger. Admittedly, I was eight or so, and your "fear" probably is significantly less intense, but the fact remains that we tend to be frightened by the unknown, and the unexpected results of a glitch, whether a graphical change, sound change, or a data wipe, can be scary. As with most unknown things, once you understand them, they won't seem scary anymore. Thus, I would recommend reading up on glitches in detail before performing them, so you understand why they produce the results that they do.

There are a lot of glitch resources on the internet, and I haven't looked at them too much recently, so I'm not sure what the best ones are. Bulbapedia has fairly thorough information about a lot of glitch Pokemon, and many of the pages seem to contain information about what the glitch Pokemon do and why. Essentially, to figure out which glitches are safe, figure out which addresses their modifying/what code is being executed. That should tell you how likely a glitch is to result in a crash/freeze or any other significant side effect, and you can pick out safer glitch trainers to battle and glitch Pokemon to encounter accordingly.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
First, no, I don't think it's necessarily weird to get "scared" by glitch-related effects on your game. I used to be terrified of everything glitch-related when I was younger. Admittedly, I was eight or so, and your "fear" probably is significantly less intense, but the fact remains that we tend to be frightened by the unknown, and the unexpected results of a glitch, whether a graphical change, sound change, or a data wipe, can be scary. As with most unknown things, once you understand them, they won't seem scary anymore. Thus, I would recommend reading up on glitches in detail before performing them, so you understand why they produce the results that they do.

There are a lot of glitch resources on the internet, and I haven't looked at them too much recently, so I'm not sure what the best ones are. Bulbapedia has fairly thorough information about a lot of glitch Pokemon, and many of the pages seem to contain information about what the glitch Pokemon do and why. Essentially, to figure out which glitches are safe, figure out which addresses their modifying/what code is being executed. That should tell you how likely a glitch is to result in a crash/freeze or any other significant side effect, and you can pick out safer glitch trainers to battle and glitch Pokemon to encounter accordingly.

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing it out for me! I know bulbapedia is a great resource site. But there's not much information on the glitch trainers. I know how ZZAZZ and Oak act but not the rest.

Years
Hey don't worry, I used to get scared of glitched graphics too! It's like the game is possessed or something. These days, I have a much better understanding of what is actually going on with the cartridge, so with that understanding I'm able to dissipate my fear.

If you want some really interesting glitches, go look up some Gold/Silver ones! There is an amazing amount of stuff you can do with the Coin Case.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Hey, I had 2 questions.

First, don't laugh at the question but I started cheating at pokemon red to go in the game in order to start with glitching. However, as I came across the first never-seen (which I have never seen, other people have of course) I already got scared by the weird graphics. Is it weird that I somehow get 'scared' by the graphics of certain glitch pokemon? It was the pkmn pokemon (hex C5) and it actually was normal, then it got a white line, then my option bar became white until I pressed the a button. It was a pretty weird glitch "pokemon".

Second of all, which glitch pokemon and trainers are safe to use (battling and/or capturing, because some glitch pokemon can cause a freeze) and which aren't? And will the glitch pokemon ever use a glitch move on its own which can crash the game?

Thanks for reading and answering and have a wonderful day.

It's not really weird at all to get scared of them. After all most of them are no less than 20' tall, and there's two (H Poke and ♀) that are 80' tall and they tend to bend reality around them in strange ways. In spite of this however most of them are perfectly fine. There are a few exceptions: past a certain Hex number you'll start running into glitch Trainers. Most are alright, but hex 252-255 are prone to causing the infamous ZZAZZ glitch which replaces most of your team with exploding Bulbasaurs and makes the game highly prone to crashing, so steer clear of them unless you're obtaining the Pokemon in that slot through the Johto Guard glitch or the Cooltrainer glitch.

As for glitch moves, there are a few that cause... issues. They're blank moves, and they're known collectively as Superglitch. They tend to have random effects determined by what tile you're on when you view their name; the name itself is what triggers the glitchy effects. The most famous effect Superglitch causes is something known as the TM Trainer effect; essentially your party, name, and even Pokedex entries become glitched, and it's highly prone to crashing the game. .4 is a glitch Pokemon known for learning it, and there are a few others that learn it, but once you get rid of the move you're good to go. Interestingly none of the Pokemon actually make your game crash; once you catch them you can use them without problems other than a glitched Hall of Fame and glitched graphics which go away once you look at a normal Pokemon sprite.

If you have any doubts about a particular Glitch Pokemon just look them up on Bulbapedia. It has a full compendium of every known glitch Pokemon, Trainer, item and general glitch in Pokemon Red and it's being added to all the time.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
Hey don't worry, I used to get scared of glitched graphics too! It's like the game is possessed or something. These days, I have a much better understanding of what is actually going on with the cartridge, so with that understanding I'm able to dissipate my fear.

If you want some really interesting glitches, go look up some Gold/Silver ones! There is an amazing amount of stuff you can do with the Coin Case.
Lol, colored color game ftw!

It's not really weird at all to get scared of them. After all most of them are no less than 20' tall, and there's two (H Poke and ♀) that are 80' tall and they tend to bend reality around them in strange ways. In spite of this however most of them are perfectly fine. There are a few exceptions: past a certain Hex number you'll start running into glitch Trainers. Most are alright, but hex 252-255 are prone to causing the infamous ZZAZZ glitch which replaces most of your team with exploding Bulbasaurs and makes the game highly prone to crashing, so steer clear of them unless you're obtaining the Pokemon in that slot through the Johto Guard glitch or the Cooltrainer glitch.

As for glitch moves, there are a few that cause... issues. They're blank moves, and they're known collectively as Superglitch. They tend to have random effects determined by what tile you're on when you view their name; the name itself is what triggers the glitchy effects. The most famous effect Superglitch causes is something known as the TM Trainer effect; essentially your party, name, and even Pokedex entries become glitched, and it's highly prone to crashing the game. .4 is a glitch Pokemon known for learning it, and there are a few others that learn it, but once you get rid of the move you're good to go. Interestingly none of the Pokemon actually make your game crash; once you catch them you can use them without problems other than a glitched Hall of Fame and glitched graphics which go away once you look at a normal Pokemon sprite.

If you have any doubts about a particular Glitch Pokemon just look them up on Bulbapedia. It has a full compendium of every known glitch Pokemon, Trainer, item and general glitch in Pokemon Red and it's being added to all the time.

B-But who doesn't want exploding Bulbasaurs xD But thanks for pointing it out. Some glitch pokemon are "dangerous" as they crash the game as soon as even the front sprite is seen, if it's caught or when it uses a glitch move in battle.

Eight.Bit

May
Years
Omg, don't laugh at me or anything, but I've always been scared by glitches -- but not only glitches, just old games in general. Like I'm all interested in video games and their history and how they're made during the day, and I think glitches are freaking awesome. But AT NIGHT I become TERRIFYED by this stuff, and I even constantly check the door to see if Missingno or Red or anyone from an old game is gonna just start walking in, and trust me I think I'm insane. I'm also scared sometimes of my Gameboy Color just randomly turning on in the middle of the night and that thought keeps me from falling asleep sometimes. But I'm still so interested in them and stuff, so this fear is so worth it. xD

And about the glitch Pokemon being dangerous, I don't really know much about any of them except for Missingno because it's so easy to catch. You can so catch it -- it doesn't mess up your game, and if it does it's REALLY rare. It mainly just corrups your Hall of Fame, but if you never click that sh!t, youre fine. In fact, you need it to complete your Pokedex, since it's number 000.

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
Caught already 2 glitch pokemon, not so scary anymore when they're at my side mhuahaha

Omg, don't laugh at me or anything, but I've always been scared by glitches -- but not only glitches, just old games in general. Like I'm all interested in video games and their history and how they're made during the day, and I think glitches are freaking awesome. But AT NIGHT I become TERRIFYED by this stuff, and I even constantly check the door to see if Missingno or Red or anyone from an old game is gonna just start walking in, and trust me I think I'm insane. I'm also scared sometimes of my Gameboy Color just randomly turning on in the middle of the night and that thought keeps me from falling asleep sometimes. But I'm still so interested in them and stuff, so this fear is so worth it. xD

And about the glitch Pokemon being dangerous, I don't really know much about any of them except for Missingno because it's so easy to catch. You can so catch it -- it doesn't mess up your game, and if it does it's REALLY rare. It mainly just corrups your Hall of Fame, but if you never click that sh!t, youre fine. In fact, you need it to complete your Pokedex, since it's number 000.
Pokedex is just number 001 to 151, not 000.

Back