• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

The team so far;
Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

The team so far;
Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.

Well generally to get into tiers most of the time you should use Pokemon actually in the same tier because a lot of the time they just aren't suited to be used in that tier. While you can usually get away with a tier lower, it's better off to stick to the Pokemon in the same tier for the most part when you're new. The two Pokemon you like, Eelektross, and Darmanitan, are in separate tiers, and it's probably better off for you to start off with one tier or another rather than just combine them because teams with favourites across different tiers usually don't do as well as ones that have synergy in general from the same tiers. But with Darmanitan you'd be playing in a UU environment and the others may not be as viable in that tier. So yeah, personal suggestion is to start off with just one tier and go from there. Due to your interest in those two, you want to start off with a lower tier, yeah? Both (Eelektross - NU, Darmanitan - UU) can be good for learning, though NU is a bit more different to OU than UU is. I haven't personally played UU but I've heard it's similar to OU in the last generation, and if you want to learn something similar to the main tier most people play, then UU is probably closest to what you want, because some of those Pokemon are used in OU anyway. As for NU, I find it really awesome and fun and while I want to just say "go for that!" I think you're better off deciding for yourself. So... which of the two would you rather use? XD;

Years
From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.

People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.

Years
People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.

Darmanitan - Adamant - Life Orb - Flare Blitz, Rockslide, U-turn, Superpower
Smeargle - Jolly - Focus Sash - Spore, Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Stealth Rock
Roserade - Calm - Black Sludge - Giga Drain, Synthesis, Spikes, Sludge Bomb
Flygon - Jolly - Choice Band - U-turn, Outrage, Dragon Tail, Earthquake (maybe Fire punch instead of U-turn or Dragon Tail)
Zoroark - Timid - Leftovers - Substitute, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower

Is what I've managed to put together so far. I decided I wanted to take advantage of the entry hazard Smeargle was bringing to the table though that might be a bit of a gamble as he is meant to Dragon Dance and Baton pass to Darmanitan. So I included Roserade so I can add upon Stealth rock if it gets set up and Flygon for his access to Dragon Tail.

I wasn't sure what pokemon to include for Zoroark's Illusion, or if I should switch Zoroark out with another pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Darmanitan - Adamant - Life Orb - Flare Blitz, Rockslide, U-turn, Superpower
Smeargle - Jolly - Focus Sash - Spore, Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Stealth Rock
Roserade - Calm - Black Sludge - Giga Drain, Synthesis, Spikes, Sludge Bomb
Flygon - Jolly - Choice Band - U-turn, Outrage, Dragon Tail, Earthquake (maybe Fire punch instead of U-turn or Dragon Tail)
Zoroark - Timid - Leftovers - Substitute, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower

Is what I've managed to put together so far. I decided I wanted to take advantage of the entry hazard Smeargle was bringing to the table though that might be a bit of a gamble as he is meant to Dragon Dance and Baton pass to Darmanitan. So I included Roserade so I can add upon Stealth rock if it gets set up and Flygon for his access to Dragon Tail.

I wasn't sure what pokemon to include for Zoroark's Illusion, or if I should switch Zoroark out with another pokemon.

EVs would also be great here.

Shell Smash > Dragon Dance on Smeargle. Spore should be enough to not let the defensive drops be a concern. Something to make the BP easier, like Magic Coat or Taunt, is also preferred in the last slot. Either find someone else to set up SR or just make do with Roserade (because it already can set up Spikes).

Definitely use Fire Punch on Flygon; since Flygon is fast, Dragon Tail's negative priority is a detriment here; IMO, it's better off on support sets.

Blastoise can be your Rapid Spinner for the team because Darmanitan is weak to Stealth Rock and Smeargle hates having its Focus Sash broken:
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic/Foresight
-Roar/Dragon Tail
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent

You could disguise Zoroark as Roserade because Roserade discourages the opponent from using the Fighting moves that Zoroark is weak to (since Roserade resists Fighting).

Years
EVs would also be great here.

Shell Smash > Dragon Dance on Smeargle. Spore should be enough to not let the defensive drops be a concern. Something to make the BP easier, like Magic Coat or Taunt, is also preferred in the last slot. Either find someone else to set up SR or just make do with Roserade (because it already can set up Spikes).

Definitely use Fire Punch on Flygon; since Flygon is fast, Dragon Tail's negative priority is a detriment here; IMO, it's better off on support sets.

Blastoise can be your Rapid Spinner for the team because Darmanitan is weak to Stealth Rock and Smeargle hates having its Focus Sash broken:
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic/Foresight
-Roar/Dragon Tail
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

You could disguise Zoroark as Roserade because Roserade discourages the opponent from using the Fighting moves that Zoroark is weak to (since Roserade resists Fighting).

Thank you for the advice! I didn't notice when I was looking at the Serebii move list however that flygon only learns Fire Punch in B/W2 which is not out yet. The small tournament I am bringing this team to, will be taking place a good while after B/W2 come out, but it will still be on the first game. Would you consider it cheating if I where to port a Fire punch knowing Flygon from White 2 to my White game?

Would Dragon Claw be a good stand in for Fire Punch?

I didn't think to have Zoroark disguised as Roserade, so thank you for that.

I switched around Smeargles move list, taking Shell Smash like you suggested and grabbed Magic Coat instead of SR. I chose to go with Toxic and Roar on Blastoise to keep the accuracy. (I'm not seeing anything with Soundproof or Suction cups..., or is the 90% accuracy the better choice because of the slight damage it deals...?)

Here is the list with the changes, and EV's added.

Pokemon: Darmanitan
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sheer Force
Item: Life Orb
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Moves:
- Flare Blitz
- Rockslide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Pokemon: Smeargle
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Own Tempo
Item: Focus Sash
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Moves:
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat

Pokemon: Zoroark
Nature: Timid
Ability: Illusion
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethower

Pokemon: Flygon
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Band
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw / Fire Punch (W/B2)
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Pokemon: Blastoise
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Roar/Dragon Tail
- Scald

Pokemon: Roserade
Nature: Calm
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: black Sludge
EV's: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thank you for the advice! I didn't notice when I was looking at the Serebii move list however that flygon only learns Fire Punch in B/W2 which is not out yet. The small tournament I am bringing this team to, will be taking place a good while after B/W2 come out, but it will still be on the first game. Would you consider it cheating if I where to port a Fire punch knowing Flygon from White 2 to my White game?

Would Dragon Claw be a good stand in for Fire Punch?

I didn't think to have Zoroark disguised as Roserade, so thank you for that.

I switched around Smeargles move list, taking Shell Smash like you suggested and grabbed Magic Coat instead of SR. I chose to go with Toxic and Roar on Blastoise to keep the accuracy. (I'm not seeing anything with Soundproof or Suction cups..., or is the 90% accuracy the better choice because of the slight damage it deals...?)

Here is the list with the changes, and EV's added.

Pokemon: Darmanitan
Nature: Adamant
Item: Life Orb
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Moves:
- Flare Blitz
- Rockslide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Pokemon: Smeargle
Ability: Own Tempo
Item: Focus Sash
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Moves:
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat

Pokemon: Zoroark
Ability: Illusion
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethower

Pokemon: Flygon
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Band
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw / Fire Punch (W/B2)
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Pokemon: Blastoise
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Roar/Dragon Tail
- Scald

Pokemon: Roserade
Item: black Sludge
EV's: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 Sp. Def
Moves:
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

It would be good to put Darmanitan's last 4 EVs into Special Defense so that Porygon2 and Porygon-Z won't get Special Attack boosts via Download.

Max HP isn't good for Smeargle because its bulk isn't optimized. An optimal EV spread would be 80 HP/96 Def/80 SDef/252 Spe.

I think Fire Blast is a good substitute for Fire Punch, but Flygon has to use a Naive nature.

Other than that, the team looks fine.

Years
How should I train my Larvitar?

Hey everyone, so I got this Larvitar from the Dream World that I would like to train. Here's some info about him:

Nature: Quiet
Level: 10
Current EVs: none
Moves: Bite, Leer, Sandstorm, Screech
Ability: Sand Veil
IVs: HP-30, ATK-17, DEF-5, SP.ATK-25, SP.DEF-14, SPD-31

So, my questions are:
What EVs should I train him in?
What moves should he learn?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I would say EV train attack/defense, or HP/attack. I've raised numerous Tyranitar, as he is my favorite Pokemon ever. I usually use these attacks.

-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Outrage (though you'll have a hard time with this one unless you breed it.)

I personally prefer regular Tyranitar though. Sandstream is way better than Unnerve.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
OU Sandstorm team building help

So I need some help creating my Sandstorm team. I have a general Idea of what I want it to look like, but need help with EVs, Natures, Hold items, and movesets, as well as critique on my composition and roles. (Yeah, I'm a noob.)
So, here goes.

Tyranitar as my lead to initiate sandstorm, ofc. I'm thinking Sp. wall.
Landorus as my sweeper. I think I want to run gravity, but also clueless on this.

Here's where the uncertainty begins.
Scizor as an offensive. Good to deal with those pesky ice types and a nice all around offensive OR Terrakion
Quagsire as a nice water-type to give me some variety, defense, and great typing
Gliscor as a nice physical wall and to break stall
and I need a good Sp Atk Sweep.

Years
I would say EV train attack/defense, or HP/attack. I've raised numerous Tyranitar, as he is my favorite Pokemon ever. I usually use these attacks.

-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Outrage (though you'll have a hard time with this one unless you breed it.)

I personally prefer regular Tyranitar though. Sandstream is way better than Unnerve.

Thanks, I shall take this into consideration.

Years
Hey everyone, so I got this Larvitar from the Dream World that I would like to train. Here's some info about him:

Nature: Quiet
Level: 10
Current EVs: none
Moves: Bite, Leer, Sandstorm, Screech
Ability: Sand Veil
IVs: HP-30, ATK-17, DEF-5, SP.ATK-25, SP.DEF-14, SPD-31

So, my questions are:
What EVs should I train him in?
What moves should he learn?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Although sandstorm is always the superior option due to the special defense boost, tyranitar can work with or without it. You have yourself a perfect tyranitar to run what's called tyranaboah, and he goes something like this:

Tyranitar
Quiet @ leftovers
252hp/60atk/176sp atk/20spe
-substitute
-focus punch
-fire blast
-crunch

Of course using this set in battle actually takes some prediction but can punch holes into teams, especially If they rely on stall.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So I need some help creating my Sandstorm team. I have a general Idea of what I want it to look like, but need help with EVs, Natures, Hold items, and movesets, as well as critique on my composition and roles. (Yeah, I'm a noob.)
So, here goes.

Tyranitar as my lead to initiate sandstorm, ofc. I'm thinking Sp. wall.
Landorus as my sweeper. I think I want to run gravity, but also clueless on this.

Here's where the uncertainty begins.
Scizor as an offensive. Good to deal with those pesky ice types and a nice all around offensive OR Terrakion
Quagsire as a nice water-type to give me some variety, defense, and great typing
Gliscor as a nice physical wall and to break stall
and I need a good Sp Atk Sweep.

Heatran, Virizion or Latias seem to fit the bill for a Special Attacker quite nicely. Even though Virizion and Latias aren't immune to Sandstorm, they help check opposing sun (Latias only)/rain teams and they also cover the Fighting (Latias only) and Water weaknesses of sandstorm teams:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Dragon Pulse
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Roar/Protect
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Latias:
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Substitute/Roar
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover/Wish
-Roar
-Reflect/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe

or
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Reflect
EVs: 252 HP/228 Def/28 Spe

or
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Trick
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Virizion:
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Work Up
-Close Combat
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 104 Atk/152 SAtk/252 Spe

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
Heatran, Virizion or Latias seem to fit the bill for a Special Attacker quite nicely. Even though Virizion and Latias aren't immune to Sandstorm, they help check opposing sun (Latias only)/rain teams and they also cover the Fighting (Latias only) and Water weaknesses of sandstorm teams:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock

or
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Roar/Protect
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Latias:
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Substitute/Roar
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover/Wish
-Roar
-Reflect/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe

or
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Reflect
EVs: 252 HP/228 Def/28 Spe

or
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Trick
Item: Choice Specs

Virizion:
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)

or
-Work Up
-Close Combat
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 104 Atk/152 SAtk/252 Spe

Thanks for that. How should I build my landorus?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks for that. How should I build my landorus?

If any of your team members are using low accuracy moves, then feel free to use Gravity. If not, then use any of these sets:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-U-turn
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe (Choice Scarf) or 228 Atk/28 SAtk/252 Spe (Expert Belt)
Item: Choice Scarf/Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Force

or
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Explosion
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

(didn't see that you were asking about Landorus too; my bad)

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
Alright, done designing my team. A bit confused on what to choose on my Celebi though.

Tyranitar @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
Ability: Sandstream
-Crunch
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock/Superpower

Heatran
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock

Skarmory @Leftovers/Shed Shell
Evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
Ability: Sturdy
-Brave Bird / Taunt
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind
My wall

Scizor @Life Orb
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Admant Nature
Ability: Technician
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Bug Bite
My Physical Sweeper

Celebi @life orb
Evs: 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden power Fire(?) or Earth power (?) or Psychic (?)
- Recover
a nice way to deal with water or fighting types

Landorus @Life Orb
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Rock Polish/Psychic
Going with SpA Sweeper Landorus.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alright, done designing my team. A bit confused on what to choose on my Celebi though.

Tyranitar @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
Ability: Sandstream
-Crunch
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock/Superpower

Heatran
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock

Skarmory @Leftovers/Shed Shell
Evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
Ability: Sturdy
-Brave Bird / Taunt
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind
My wall

Scizor @Life Orb
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Admant Nature
Ability: Technician
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Bug Bite
My Physical Sweeper

Celebi @life orb
Evs: 232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden power Fire(?) or Earth power (?) or Psychic (?)
- Recover
a nice way to deal with water or fighting types

Landorus @Life Orb
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Rock Polish/Psychic
Going with SpA Sweeper Landorus.
Special Landorus in Sandstorm is better off in non-Sandstorm teams, IMO. Physical Sand Force Landorus hits harder than Special Sheer Force Landorus in Sandstorm.

Mixed Tyranitar generally needs both Fire Blast and Stealth Rock to help deal with Ferrothorn more easily and supporting the team, respectively. The real decision for you is deciding between Ice Beam and Superpower.

Whichever move you choose for Celebi depends on what your team has a harder time dealing with. Testing out all 3 moves can't hurt here.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
so If I do run landorus as a sweeper, is it ok to keep my scizor as it is? and is my team as a whole viable now? also thanks a lot for the help.

Back