• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New palettes in Fire Red for OW's!

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Is there a fix to the bug where if you go to another screen (most menus in the bag, battles, etc.) and then return to the map the palette reverts to one of the original palettes?

As long as the hero palette is located in the first slot (slot 0), and no other palette overwrites that slot, that should never happen.

In your hex editor, this number is what palette slot the palette takes up.

Spoiler:

In that case, it takes up slot number 4 (since 0 is one, etc...).
To make sure it's taking up the right palette, in VBA check: Tools>Palette Viewer.

Years
Oh, it's not the overworld for the player but a separate overworld, and the slot that is stays in gets rewritten with the original palette in that slot everytime the map is loaded (exiting menus etc)

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Oh, it's not the overworld for the player but a separate overworld, and the slot that is stays in gets rewritten with the original palette in that slot everytime the map is loaded (exiting menus etc)

I know this reply is a bit late, but I tried looking into it some. I found that when you have the palette slot set as A-F, the palette refreshes fine, and, as far as I can tell, nothing is messed up.. Ill see if I can find anything else on the matter.

I want to put DP overworld sprites but i don't know how it show when I reseized it show only the upper part

I dont remember much about resizing, so Ill look into this a bit more also.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Just a question but can this be used to have individual palletes for each OW?

By individual palettes for each OW, do you mean for every 200 something OWs? Im sure that is a possibility, but you couldnt have more than, at least how I understand it, 15 in the same area as they are limited with the palette slot and the game can only load that many palettes at once.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
By individual palettes for each OW, do you mean for every 200 something OWs? Im sure that is a possibility, but you couldnt have more than, at least how I understand it, 15 in the same area as they are limited with the palette slot and the game can only load that many palettes at once.

ughhh...

Ok, I'll just have to try to have every OW to have their own pallete and see how it goes.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I have a problem with this tutorial. The OW looks good in OW Editor Rebirth but the palette is screwed up in A-Map and game.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
No I edited the Rival's OW. And also, I noticed one thing- the palette was screwed up in VBA but in No$Gba, it worked fine.

Hm, thats actually really weird. Im not sure what can cause that. Is it never normal in VBA?

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Could you please elaborate this part:

starting at 0x0805E5E0, place 70 88 09 07 09 0f 00 29 01 d0 05 e0,
then at 0x0805e5f8 place 03 e0

Some screenshots how it looks before and how after would be very nice, Im just going to these offsets and adding those numbers but nothing really changes ingame.
Am I supposed to touch the oam loading numbers in the sprite offset or something?

EDIT: Ive kind of fixed this while sacrificing the mist >.>
Which I dont want todo D:
Youd maybe want to include which oam code should be in instead of the default ones to make them work, Im really confused here D:

anbuja

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
I've noticed that changing the bytes fixes the sprites the first time you enter the map.
However if you open up a menu say the Pokemon screen and close it. When you return
to the map the sprites will glitch. I believe this is connected to the level script command 0x5
load on entering map and on menu close. I was wondering if anyone has experienced or fixed
this.

EDIT: This seems to be related to the actual palette slot that the sprite has! Depending
on the palette slot it looks discoloured in a different way.

It seems that setting the Palette slot to 1A, 1B and 1C allow the sprite to retain its colours
as long as there aren't conflicting ones on the map. So if you have three unique palette sprites
use those three. I imagine others work too, but those three are the ones I can definitely
attest to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
So i have a quick question. When it says put the offset before 00000000 ff110000, does that mean each time you add a new pallet it goes before that space in the hex ditor? Or does it mean that each time you add a new pallet, you can place the next offset after those numbers, and then end it with 00000000 ff110000?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
You END the chain with those bytes. When the game reads those bytes, it stops looking for palettes.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
o0s1og.png

Can anyone ascertain why all of my added palettes work, up to 1E. 1F, 20 and 21 all show up as palette 3 (youngster with the yellow hat) and it is the same palette with a different number - if I change anything with them, it also changes palette three.

Any ideas? I've wracked my brains trying to find a solution. I wonder if there's a limiter byte somwhere I need to change (as it seems to be defaulting to the first palette in the list??).

Edit:// I've tried changing '1F' to '0D' but the palette still doesn't work. It seems to be their actual position in the table that's affecting this.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back