• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ubers Rain Team

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I've been playing with this team on Showdown for a few weeks, and i've had quite a bit of success with these guys for the most part. But i've also noticed quite a few flaws in my team and i'm brainstorming a few ideas on how to fix it. So, I guess i'll post my team and then go into what I see is wrong with it in spots.

Deoxys-S/Focus Sash/Pressure/Timid - 252Speed/252HP/4SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Rocks/Spikes/Taunt are pretty obvious on Deoxys-S, Light Screen was just more of a random choice on my part. I felt there were more special attackers in Ubers and I really wouldn't think of anything else to fill the 4th spot

Kyogre/Leftovers/Drizzle/Calm - 248HP/8Def/252SpD
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

Rain setter and I chose to go with a special tank here. One thing I find with this set is that it gets walled pretty easily and forced to switch quite a few times.

Palkia/Choice Scarf/Pressure/Timid - 252Speed/252SpA/4HP
- Thunder
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power

Timid+Scarf Palkia outspeeds pretty much the entire tier from what i've seen. Good coverage moves and such. I find Palkia being revenge killed quite easily, mainly by Dialga. It can absorb a Draco then fire one back and OHKO me.

Lugia/Leftovers/Multiscale/Jolly - 252Speed/252HP/4Atk
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Nice phazer for the most part, can toxic a lot of threats and either stall them out or force switch them so they take more hazard damage on switch ins and such.

Kabutops/Choice Band/Swift Swim/Adamant - 4HP/252Atk/252Speed
- Superpower
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Very nice set on Kabutops, I think. Has really good coverage moves and it's quite hard to outspeed when rain is up. Hits VERY hard while being banded and having Adamant nature.

Giratina/Leftovers/Pressure/Impish - 248HP/252Def/8SpD
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Miss/Will-O-Wisp

Very good physical wall, can burn and phaze and also has pretty good sustainability with rest. Also functions as a spin blocker and a way to mess with Extreme Killer Arceus.

Now for the flaws i've noticed myself.

1.)Ferrothorn is a major threat to this team. It can normally switch in and not take much damage from anything I can dish out, and start stalling with Twave/Leech Seed. Would like to have a very reliable way to counter Ferro but I can't think of anything other than a Fire move/Pokemon, which wouldn't really do well on a rain team.

2.) Hazards.. They hurt, a lot. And I have no spinner to help me with that. The only two spinners I can really think of are Forretress and Excadrill, but I can't really find a way to make either of those mesh well with a rain team. The other option here is to replace one of Kabutops' moves (probably Aqua Jet) with Rapid Spin. The only problem I have with this is the fact that Kabutops is banded and I just can't see a reason to use Rapid Spin on a Choiced mon.

3.) I honestly don't use Palkia as much as I would like to, but I can't find a great use for it. It does have amazing special attack but so many things seem to wall Palkia very hard and it makes me very sad. From what I understand, Palkia has very bad defensive stats for the Uber tier and it sucks when it constantly gets revenge killed.

4.) Deoxys-S is very fun to use, but I think I could have another Pokemon that could fill the exact same role as Deoxys-S does, but possibly better. The main Poke that comes to mind is Forretress, since it has access to Rapid Spin and also hazards.

As of right now, I can't really think of anything else I've had major problems with but there have been a few others. I don't really see the other ones often which is why I can't think of them off the top of my head. XD

Any improvements/suggestions to my team are GREATLY appreciated. :)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
The biggest necessity is, you absolutely need a Steel-type, as they cover your team's weaknesses to Dark, Dragon, Ghost and Rock-type moves from their Respective Arcei. They also do well in rain generally, as it neutralizes their Fire weakness. Magnezone, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill are my top three recommendations.

If you want Rapid Spin go for Excadrill.

~ Rapid Spin
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV Spread: 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe

~ Rapid Spin
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Iron Head
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Rush
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Ferrothorn is the bulky version of an entry hazards setter, and can replace Deoxys-S if needed. Remember to put 0 IVs on Ferrothorn to increase Gyro Ball's power.

~ Spikes
~ Stealth Rock
~ Leech Seed
~ Gyro Ball/Power Whip
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EV Spread: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SpD

~ Spikes
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball
~ Bulldoze
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Brave
EV Spread: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

If you want a Steel-type that can take on other Steel types, Magnezone is recommended, as they can wall and kill Steel-types better than a Kyogre. Thunder is a great STAB in rain, as it has perfect accuracy. HP Fire is also recommended, especially as its the only move that KOes Genesect, Scizor and Forretress.

~ Thunder
~ Flash Cannon
~ HP Fire
~ Volt Switch
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EV spread: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe

~ Thunder
~ HP Fire
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EV spread: 252 HP / 208 SpA / 48 Spe

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
An attacking move is ideal for Deoxys-S once it gets its hazards up, like Shadow Ball, ExtremeSpeed, Signal Beam, etc. If you're using Light Screen, you may as well use Reflect along with it.

Earth Power doesn't give Palkia any noteworthy coverage because neutral STAB Draco Meteor outdamages an unSTABed supereffective Earth Power. Use Fire Blast (though it's weakened in the rain, it's good for dealing with Ferrothorn), Outrage (to let Palkia go "mixed") or Spacial Rend (as a more reliable Dragon STAB) instead of that.

As the vast majority of Ubers are heavy, use Low Kick instead of Superpower so that Kabutops isn't screwed over by the Attack and Defense drops. Banded Kabutops sometimes uses Rapid Spin to clear away hazards if the team can't find another Rapid Spinner. The gist of this is to get Kabutops in, spin, then switch out. That's what Choice Pokemon are made to do, isn't it?

One option to help against Ferrothorn (kinda) is to give Lugia Substitute to let it block a status Ferrothorn throws at it (over one of its phazing moves, like Whirlwind). Speaking of Lugia, it's better to go fully defensive with Impish and 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef. Its Speed is already very high for a wall.

You can also consider Genesect as another team member because of its wide movepool and reduced Fire weakness in the rain:
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Iron Head/Flamethrower/Blaze Kick
-ExtremeSpeed/Flamethrower/Blaze Kick
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Bug Buzz/Flamethrower/Thunder
-Flamethrower/Thunder
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Thunder
-Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Fighting)
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Expert Belt

or
-U-turn
-Iron Head
-ExtremeSpeed/Explosion
-Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Blaze Kick
Nature: Naive/Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band

(Note that you must use a Hasty nature when using ExtremeSpeed and/or Blaze Kick on Genesect)

Last edited:

srinator

i would suggest ice beam instead of the reflect on the deoxys-s .

i saw two resttalk pokemon on your team, being as unreliable as it is , i would suggest you to change the kyogre set to something like

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature
Thunder Wave
Hydro Pump/water spout
Ice Beam
Thunder

or

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
Calm Mind
Ice Beam
Thunder
Surf

also on lugia i dont see the need of both dragon tail and whirlwind,i think u should only keep whirlwind as it is more reliable - the damage , here is the set i suggest

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
Roost
Whirlwind
Ice Beam
Toxic

Back