The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via AIM to The Mega Champion Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
Wow really?

They have TERRIBLE timing.

I already started watching Soul Eater on my own because they took WAY to long to realize that they should air it.

I'm not going to stop watching it just because it's airing on TV now. I've already watched 16 episodes anyway.

I'm not saying I won't watch it on TV, I will. I'm just not going to stop watching it via other means as well. Basically... I'll be watching it twice as much. One episode on Adult Swim/Toonami and 4 episodes via other means.

The only people you can blame is Adult Swim/Toonami for taking this long to realize they should air it.

=/

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Old February 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
That manga is apparently still publishing although there hasn't been a new chapter in 11 months. Would not be surprised if it ends before reaching a real conclusion.
It's actually coming back this month. It's been on hiatus for so long because one of the production members had a baby. There's not too much left to resolve, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final arc was only one volume long.

Spoiler:
All they really need to do is permanently kill off Hagire-Toto and do something with the Mother Goose system. Either Shiro will go back to normal or Ganta will kill her. I'm fine with either.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Aniplex USA has started a poll on their Facebook page asking people which of their titles they'd like to see on Toonami.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/questions/598214373525845/

So far, the most voted shows are Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, and Gurren Lagann.

Fate/Zero looks like it would be a good show. And I still think that Gurren Lagann is one of the shows that HAS to be on Toonami as some point.

Madoka Magica though...I say no. A show filled with cutesy moe girls isn't going to keep [adult swim]'s casual audience around.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Antemortem
[INSERT A PROFOUND TRUTH]

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
Madoka Magica though...I say no. A show filled with cutesy moe girls isn't going to keep [adult swim]'s casual audience around.
Do you remember Super Milk Chan's debut on Adult Swim in 2004? If something as girly and outrageously stupid as that wasn't a flop, an actual anime like Madoka Magica wouldn't be any more of one. I would actually enjoy being able to watch it on television, along with Fate/Zero, one I haven't seen. Actually, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to bringing any anime into the Toonami block. Bring on all the animu!
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
Do you remember Super Milk Chan's debut on Adult Swim in 2004? If something as girly and outrageously stupid as that wasn't a flop, an actual anime like Madoka Magica wouldn't be any more of one. I would actually enjoy being able to watch it on television, along with Fate/Zero, one I haven't seen.
I have no idea how Super Milk Chan did in ratings back then, but that was also at a time when [adult swim] was still running anime on weeknights. Still, it was a comedy, which is [as]'s thing pretty much. But this about what is appropriate for an action cartoon block primarily aimed at the 18-34 year old male demo. Magical moe girls may appeal to hardcore otaku, but that is not Toonami's target audience.

I've heard good things about Fate/Zero, so maybe they'll pick it up one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
Actually, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to bringing any anime into the Toonami block. Bring on all the animu!
Remember, Toonami isn't an anime block, it's an "action cartoon" block. Not all anime belongs on the block. Example: K-On. If that show were to air, there would be a huge backlash. That would be worse than when they were forced to show Hamtaro and Wulin Warriors.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Antemortem

Quote:
Remember, Toonami isn't an anime block, it's an "action cartoon" block. Not all anime belongs on the block. Example: K-On. If that show were to air, there would be a huge backlash. That would be worse than when they were forced to show Hamtaro and Wulin Warriors.
Of course, and when I said that I didn't mean that any and every anime belonged, I just wouldn't be opposed to anything Toonami would bring on-board. Naturally that doesn't include anime they don't consider, and, like you said, something such as K-On! would be a huge no-no.
Old February 10th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Ryoutarou
新生ペガサス
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I would love to see Sword Art Online during on Toonami. That seems like the sort of show you could expect to air there back when they were on in the afternoon, just aged up ever so slightly.

Paired With Signomi - Brothers with Arcanine
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Quote:
Magical moe girls may appeal to hardcore otaku, but that is not Toonami's target audience.
Have you seen Madoka, though? It may be magical girls, but it's not Pretty Cure or DoReMi.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
RedJ
[*TRUMPETS INTENSIFY*]

Nature: Quiet
Fate Stay/Night, maybe, but I doubt Fate/Zero will ever be on Toonami since it's premiering on Neon Alley soon. Although I certainly wouldn't be upset if it did end up there- Aniplex isn't exactly known for putting reasonable prices on their stuff, so that'll be the only way I'd ever get to see it.

Last edited by RedJ; February 11th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:12 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets Witch View Post
Have you seen Madoka, though? It may be magical girls, but it's not Pretty Cure or DoReMi.
I haven't seen it, but I've read enough about it. I know it's really dark, but the cutesy designs of the characters aren't going to fit in well. (I was told the show isn't even all that violent.) This is the network that has aired Cowboy Bebop for over 10 years. I really can't see them picking Madoka up.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM
DarkRisingGirl
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
In my opinion,Toonami is coming back in a really good way. I watch all of the shows on there (Except Thundercats & Titan. They just don't interest me and seem out of place on the lineup. Although I have heard they're good). My only small dislike is Naruto coming back instead of Naruto Shippuden. Disney XD hasn't aired the show in what seems like over a year, why didn't Toonami bother getting it from them? If Toonami wants to air Naruto, why not air back to back episodes? The show is one of my favorites, but it's too slow to air one episode a week. I'd like to see Trigun & Blood Plus return, taking the place of Titan and Thundercats. Add Deathnote somewhere in there and they've got a solid lineup.

But as for shows that have never aired on Toonami that I think would be a good fit, I'd pick the following: Hell Girl, Sword Art Online, uhhhh...Fairytale?(Never saw it but I know ppl who rage over it as being a very good show, so I'd like to check it out myself on TV), and possibly the Devil May Cry anime? Seriously, since the anime network channel is gone from Verizon Fios TV, I miss that show a lot. I'd like watching that and Blood Plus back to back during later hours.

But yea, Woo Toonami!
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Quote:
I haven't seen it, but I've read enough about it. I know it's really dark, but the cutesy designs of the characters aren't going to fit in well. (I was told the show isn't even all that violent.) This is the network that has aired Cowboy Bebop for over 10 years. I really can't see them picking Madoka up.
Madoka would pick up and hold a better crowd than Thundercats could because Madoka's already got an established fanbase who would watch it because, as said earlier, Aniplex overprices their stuff by an insane amount. As for the violence, there's a major character death 3 episodes in as well as various other fights/deaths sprinkled throughout. While not gruesome, the violence still stands.

It's entirely plausible for Toonami to pick up Madoka, especially since it's so short.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:44 AM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
In my opinion,Toonami is coming back in a really good way. I watch all of the shows on there (Except Thundercats & Titan. They just don't interest me and seem out of place on the lineup. Although I have heard they're good).
I would suggest at least giving ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan a chance. ThunderCats has beautiful animation and Titan is very intense for a show originally on daytime CN. Watch the Toonami promos for both on YouTube when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
My only small dislike is Naruto coming back instead of Naruto Shippuden. Disney XD hasn't aired the show in what seems like over a year, why didn't Toonami bother getting it from them? If Toonami wants to air Naruto, why not air back to back episodes?
According to the Toonami tumblr, Disney still owns Shippuden even though they no longer run it, so they can't get it. And running multiple episodes a night would cost more, so they can only run 1.

Quote:
Madoka would pick up and hold a better crowd than Thundercats could because Madoka's already got an established fanbase who would watch it because, as said earlier, Aniplex overprices their stuff by an insane amount.
I disagree with that. ThunderCats has become one of the most popular and highest rated shows on Toonami right now, holding over 1 million viewers at 1am multiple times, and beating Naruto a few times as well.

Madoka comes across as a show made for otaku, which is why they shouldn't get it. The hardcore otaku aren't watching Toonami anyway, and even if Madoka did get picked up, I'm sure it's online somewhere already, so they're not going to wait to watch only 12 episodes over a 3 month period.

I think that's also a good reason why Naruto is probably doing so well on Toonami right now. I know a lot of the hardcore anime fans hate Naruto, but it hasn't had a bad night yet.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Quote:
I think that's also a good reason why Naruto is probably doing so well on Toonami right now. I know a lot of the hardcore anime fans hate Naruto, but it hasn't had a bad night yet.
Naruto was a really good pickup and I'm glad it's doing well. Once Bleach ends, Naruto will take over as That One Long Ongoing Series and hopefully it'll continue doing as well as it's been doing. The ratings might plummet a bit once they hit that giant patch of filler, though.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
DarkRisingGirl
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Naruto was a really good pickup and I'm glad it's doing well. Once Bleach ends, Naruto will take over as That One Long Ongoing Series and hopefully it'll continue doing as well as it's been doing. The ratings might plummet a bit once they hit that giant patch of filler, though.
But unlike Bleach, all of the Naruto episodes have already aired on Toonami back in the day. I just can't see it taking Bleach's spot completely. Maybe as that long on-going series you mentioned, but I can't see it generating the same amount of appeal as Bleach. Bleach is just more fast-paced and airing new episodes on Toonami. People have seen all of the Naruto episodes a long time ago. You could say there's a newer audience now since Toonami went off the air years ago, but I think a lot of those people still tune in to Toonami every night and have seen all Naruto has to offer.
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:06 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Well, I gave in and watched all of Madoka Magica last night. I saw many reviews and comments say the show was overrated, but I thought it was actually very enjoyable...or as enjoyable as a depressing show like that can be! (and I thought Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland were depressing!)

Whoever told me there wasn't much action was wrong. I saw plenty, more in the first episode than Tenchi Muyo! GXP has had in 15 episodes. So as far as needing to have action, Madoka has it. However, I still believe the moe designs are gonna turn a lot of people off to the show that won't give it a chance, in a similar way to people who refuse to watch Sym-Bionic Titan just because it isn't an anime or doesn't look like an anime. It would be a big risk.

But, if Toonami where to pick up Madoka anyway, I'd admire them for taking that risk.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Antemortem

Quote:
in a similar way to people who refuse to watch Sym-Bionic Titan just because it isn't an anime or doesn't look like an anime. It would be a big risk.
Agreed, and I am one of those people guilty of not giving Sym-Bionic Titan a fair chance because of its lack of anime-like exterior. Personally, it feels nothing different than when it was initially made for Cartoon Network - and definitely not much more successful.

Soul Eater's premiere was a huge hit with me!
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:01 PM
voicerocker
Psyduck

Toonami news from MomoCon!!

TOM 5, new Absolution, and new logo will debut sometime in April!

New show coming at some point this year is:

One Piece. No word yet on if it will start at Episode 1 or not.

Also, One Piece may or may not be what replaces Tenchi Muyo! GXP.

For Toonami's birthday this weekend, we get:

Evangelion 1.11 - You Are (Not) Alone. It will air at 1:00am after Naruto. There will also be other goodies that night.

Confirmed: Young Justice and Samurai Jack will NOT be airing on Toonami.

Shows also mentioned, possibly for consideration later on: Samurai Champloo, Panty & Stocking, and Sailor Moon 2013.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via AIM to The Mega Champion Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
You mean Adult Swim are ACTUALLY making good decisions now?

Oh god... I think I'm going to have a heart attack. Seriously...

Good job.

Just keep this up.

If you don't... you'll hear from me.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Antemortem

I've never been a fan of One Piece, so I'm indifferent to that. I think not showing Samurai Jack is a mistake, despite being incredibly old, but that's a personal bias because that's been a favorite of mine for yeaaaaars and would love to see it not die off from television quite yet.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:16 AM
voicerocker
Psyduck

APRIL 27th

The Toonami crew has revealed that April 27th will be the debut of TOM 5, the new Absolution and the new on-air look for Toonami.

They also made this little announcement:

They managed to find a way to bring back IGPX, and it will begin airing that same night! They had mentioned previously that IGPX had been written off by Cartoon Network which would prevent them from being about to air it again. However (I'm guessing because CN and Toonami actually created the show) they managed get the rights back.

The plan seems to be to remove one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes to make room for IGPX. And it seems that this is NOT the replacement for Tenchi Muyo! GXP either, so something else may be coming too, in addition to One Piece.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links