• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Being En-Title-d

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
So I thought I'd see about a fun little discussion on titles. Both of the book and of chapters.

I suppose the first real question is what do you try to accomplish with your title besides catching attention? Do you hide references and deeper information that you won't understand until you finish the book or will you just do for the coolest subtitle you can think of?

As for chapters do you title them? Do you try to theme them? Do you as I mentioned before hide things in them? I for one very much like to have some obvious explanations of what is going on, but I do adore when I have a good joke or pun for the title.

EX. the last chapter I wrote is called "Walk in the Park". One of the main settings of the story is in a state park (Letchworth look it up it is BEAUTIFUL), but it also is a phrase used to call something really easy, but I'm using it sarcastically as the chapter will have a rather difficult moment for the protagonist.

I'm just curious how you guys tend to do it.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I like writing titles that make people wonder what the story's about. If it has a deeper meaning then all the better, but my main focus, at least when it comes to titling, is always concerned with marketing the story rather than adding to it particularly.

Years
The title of this post is criiiinge - nah it's kind of funny. Well, my story titles are pretty literal, i.e. the story is about a bird that can't fly, I'll call it "flightless." Most of my stories don't have chapter titles, but when I do write them they're more likely to have a little fun wordplay. I do try to give an eye-catching title sometimes but mostly it falls flat so I'm just like :P

Years
Most of the time I come up with some edgy middleschool-esq title that kinda has relevance to the story in a stupid abstract way, like, I was writing this one story called "Restless" and the main character was an apathetic dude who hated his small town life. It was super stupid but kinda fitting. I find most of my titles end up like that.

Bay

Years
When it comes to titles for my stories, I usually go for how it relates to the story. Lately I've been writing very short stories, and half of them I'll base off either like song lyrics or quotes if I can't think of anything.

Before I would title my chapters, but the last couple chaptered fics I did I didn't do that. I did two long fics that are a series of short scenes, though, and I titled each scene based what subject it is.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I usually just take a literal element from the story and put that down as a title. Sometimes it's just character names, sometimes it's something mentioned in the first paragraph.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Most of my titles are phrases that describe what the story is about. Like "The Bonds of Mass Misery" is a story about how a group of people who are just barely friends grow stronger together because of all the negative events that will be happening to them.

Only one of my stories has titled chapters, and that's because those were easy titles to come up with. Each chapter is titled with the name of a fallen angel, which makes sense for the story they're for.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 22, 2017
I usually try to have some reference or joke in my titles, or a hint of what's going to happen (It's embarrassing when I never get far enough for the title to make sense).

For example, I have a Harry Potter fanfic called Hermione's Wand and the Philosopher's Stone, because in that canon Harry's soul ends up stuck in Hermione's wand.

I also have Early Introduction, in which Ash battles Tobias with a different strategy, so Tobias ends up introducing Ash to Synchro-Evolution early - something which isn't mentioned in the synopsis.

My fanfiction.net profile is Flitty if you want to check them out.
[/Shameless Plug]

I also try to name chapters with some kind of theme, be that a certain format (two alliterative words with the first being a verb, for example), or actually thematic. That usually derails though.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I tend to struggle a lot with titles. For chapter titles, it's even harder. :c I guess I'm just not as creative as I want to be with them. However, I do try to think of the main idea or points of my different chapters. I used to just number them though. Like, an example was the first chapter being "one", the second one being "two, etc., but I realized that just made the chapters seem less appealing.

Back