• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Hypno or Kadabra/Alakazam

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I always had one of them, or both, on my team in Yellow. They just wrecked any enemy so easily - even though I never could evolve Kadabra into Alakazam. Which one of them did you mostly use? Or maybe none of them?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I used Alakazam on one of my later files, I believe. Earlier on, I didn't trade at all, so I didn't use any trade evolution Pokemon on my team. (Actually, back then, I think I was more into soloing the game with my Blastoise.) I've used Alakazam on teams since, but I still don't think I've ever used Hypno on a team. Perhaps I should use it on a run sometime soon.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I used to be an utter fanboy for Alakazam, for the image, for Recover and or the fact that it was impossible to get w/out trading. Because I still put it on a pedastal, it's among the last I'm tempted to train. I'd love to say that Alakazam is the clear winner, but...

I have trained a Hypno every time I roam Kanto. It's a decent partner to break down the Legendary Birds and mayhaps even Mewtwo. It can even send the entirety of Team Rocket packing. (Even the renowned Nidoqueen/king that Giovanni possesses.) Hypno is among the prime candidates for Dream Eater, which could be its version of Recover, and Headbutt can make foes flinch. I defeated Blue's Alakazam w/ my Hypno, so I could say Hypno is more battle-capable in a battle, but in terms of personal opinion, Alakazam has won my heart.

My final decision is for me to beg for a draw. They're both unique in their design and their movesets.

Years
Starmie was actually my go-to Psychic type for the first gen games, as soon as I was able to get my hands on one. Of the two choices though, I always went with Kadabra over Hypno, even if I wasn't able to trade it at the time to get an Alakazam. Don't know why, but the Drowzee/Hypno line never interested me all that much, so it was just one of those Pokemon I'd ccatch, but never actually bother training.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Starmie was actually my go-to Psychic type for the first gen games, as soon as I was able to get my hands on one. Of the two choices though, I always went with Kadabra over Hypno, even if I wasn't able to trade it at the time to get an Alakazam. Don't know why, but the Drowzee/Hypno line never interested me all that much, so it was just one of those Pokemon I'd ccatch, but never actually bother training.
That's interesting! I love all three of them (the two mentioned in the title + Starmie) but I never ever used Starmie in the gen 1 games tbh. Hypno was just amazing to use, as Palmer-Granate says, still, and Drowzee could be easily caught decently early on so I guess I hardly even discovered that Starmie was a psychic type back in the day haha.

Years
Alakazam yo. Awesome speed and its special is so massive. Wish it didn't require trading to evolve though, that was one of the reasons I never really got one early enough for it to make a difference in gen I games, but if I did it would've been awesome.

Starmie is a for sure though. Surf + Psychic were and still are some of the best moves. And I guess using a Water Stone was less painful for someone like me who didn't actively engage in link cable trading. ;(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Hpyno for sleep-induction and bulk. Alakazam for Special-abuse and speed. Since I've used Kadabra/Alakazam to death, Hypno is always nice for a change. Next time, I'll try out a NFE Abra run through. It's really really frail, but Speed and Special is still amazing. A shame it can't learn Bubblebeam, and you don't get Psychic until Saffron. Glhf!

Years
I used Mewtwo

Yeah, I did the same thing. Starmie was my go-to. I never really used Hypno or Kadabra/Alakazam. Evolve-by-trading Pokemon were ones I didn't really use and I never liked Hypno.

Guest123_x1

During the time that I had Blue and Yellow in physical Game Pak form, I never used either the Abra or Drowzee lines, but when I replayed Yellow via emulator around 2012-14, I used the Abra line on my team, primarily for its high Speed and Special stats. I never really liked the idea of trade evolutions, so I never used the Abra line until I began using TGB Dual as my emulator so that I could trade between Generation I games, allowing me to have an Alakazam.

With my playing of Yellow on my 2DS, I've gone with Drowzee/Hypno, as I don't think I'll ever have the opportunity to trade with another player nearby. Sure, Hypno is slow as molasses, but its defense is somewhat better, and of course, Hypnosis, which is probably better than using a Grass type with Sleep Powder (but really not by much).

Unlike a few others in this thread, I never really thought of using Starmie, as I never liked that stone-evolved Pokémon had to forego learning most of the level-up moves of their previous forms unless you evolved them after the last level-up move was offered for learning. I've already decided on my final Water and Psychic types for my Virtual Console playings of Red, Blue, and Yellow, none of which will have Starmie, unless I somehow change my mind later on.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Mr Mime, or Marcel as he was known, for this cool cat

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Maybe because I never was able to evolve my Kadabra (which I love kadabra's desing), I think I had Hypno more often in my teams.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Mr Mime, or Marcel as he was known, for this cool cat
Oh yeah, I didn't like the nicknames of traded pokemon in-game so I never used them haha. Was Mr Mime a good alternative? Was it even obtainable in Red/Blue?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Oh yeah, I didn't like the nicknames of traded pokemon in-game so I never used them haha. Was Mr Mime a good alternative? Was it even obtainable in Red/Blue?

Yeah he was in that house near where you get flash, the kid trades him for your Abra. He wasn't good at all but I still mained him hahah

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah he was in that house near where you get flash, the kid trades him for your Abra. He wasn't good at all but I still mained him hahah
Yea, I know he was there in Yellow, didn't know if the same tradable pokemon were present in R/B as I never truly played through those.

Ah, where's the fun in having too powerful pokemon really hehe.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really like Alakazam... Hypno is just kinda freaky. Especially after that one Pokemon anime episode where it hypnotized all the children. And Drowzee's fingers in the Pokemon GO animation just scare me. It's a weird Pokemon. I know we're talking about Gen 1 but I literally can't think about it any other way.

Years
Well... all by myself... don't wanna be all... Hypno it is then. That and it was far easier to come by back then. Abra and its Teleport drove me nuts.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I reallllly don't like either tbh. I'd rather just use the Trainer Fly glitch to get a Mew haha. There aren't many Gen 1 Psychic types that appeal to me.

Back