• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
....What version do you have? I remember this being an issue a long time ago, like pre-v1.0 when I was changing from a 1 based start point (bulbasaur) to a 0 based start point (missingno), but I have heard nothing since. Ummm, when you repoint, did you select the new offset in the list it gives? It should give 5 good offsets to pick from.

Latest version, 1.1.3. In the beginning I would just randomly pick one of the offsets it would give me, but after doing this a lot (after perhaps 30 moveset repoints) I would go back and find that some movesets had disappeared, or in some cases they'd be replaced by the moveset I had just created.
It seems like it's working ok now, maybe it just let one bad offset slip through and that messed it all up.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
Glitch

Whenever I edit a Pokemon, the data for the Pokemon after it breaks. For example, if I write in a Pokedex entry for a Pokemon, the next Pokemon just has /x as its descriptions. When I change a sprite for a Pokemon, the one right after breaks.

This is my main issue right now:

I insert a sprite (I've made sure that Suite is the only open program) by loading a 256x64 sheet from Chaos Rush's thread. I then proceed to save and the game automatically repoints for me. I have unchecked the "Fill in with FF", when the new sprite is in, the text "Image failed to decompress" shows up as I click on the Pokemon right after the one I'm editing.

Last edited:

juzzRizard

Pokemon Collector
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
im expanding the dex when i got this error.
"decompressing sprite error" something like that.
when replacing pokemon data with the same sprite its working.
can you tell me how to fix this?

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Latest version, 1.1.3. In the beginning I would just randomly pick one of the offsets it would give me, but after doing this a lot (after perhaps 30 moveset repoints) I would go back and find that some movesets had disappeared, or in some cases they'd be replaced by the moveset I had just created.
It seems like it's working ok now, maybe it just let one bad offset slip through and that messed it all up.

Ok scratch that, it's doing it again. I repointed Graveler's moveset to 14 moves, then I went to Golem and his moveset was empty (0/0 Moves). The offsets are different, this is real strange.

Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
This is a great tool!

I have a few questions:

1. I added Mr. Dollsteak's attack and decap base. When I open the tool, moves do not load properly and I can't change any Pokemon's attack. How do I fix this?

2. What will be in the next update of the tool?

3. In the next update, can you add an INI for ROMS with Mr. Dollsteak's Attack and Decap base and the 649 Patch??

Thanks, and great job on the tool!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
Ok scratch that, it's doing it again. I repointed Graveler's moveset to 14 moves, then I went to Golem and his moveset was empty (0/0 Moves). The offsets are different, this is real strange.

I had the same problem. Just don't overwrite with FF bytes and it should be fine.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
So there's one little dumb feature that I don't think I've seen that this has that I really miss from at least one other editor and would love to have back in this -- and that is the ability to change Pokedex numbers of 'mons. Did I just gloss over this? If it's not in the editor, are there plans to add it?

1. I added Mr. Dollsteak's attack and decap base. When I open the tool, moves do not load properly and I can't change any Pokemon's attack. How do I fix this?

You can fix this by opening up a hex editor, then looking for "BPRE" around 0xAC in the ROM and changing it to "MrDS" -- you should not need a table open. I think opening it with Notepad or something like that would be fine, too, but I have yet to confirm that. I did it in Translhextion already, so I haven't bothered to try it in anything else.

After this, you may need to remove parts of the INI that begin with [0000], etc.; I was getting an error when I had those, but after removing it, the issue cleared itself up. Search the INI for the string "[MrDS]" to ensure that data for it is in there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
So I added Mr Dollsteaks base, changed the game code, and I opened it in G3HS. I extended the number of Pokemon to 721. I started adding in the sprites for each Pokemon, and it worked fine until around Drilbur. Then it said "Images failed to decompress. Abort sprite load." I've tried again on a copy of the ROM and it happened on a different Pokemon. What is causing this?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen today
So I added Mr Dollsteaks base, changed the game code, and I opened it in G3HS. I extended the number of Pokemon to 721. I started adding in the sprites for each Pokemon, and it worked fine until around Drilbur. Then it said "Images failed to decompress. Abort sprite load." I've tried again on a copy of the ROM and it happened on a different Pokemon. What is causing this?

I think it happens when you click save twice in a row. Make sure to make a lot of backups.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I think it happens when you click save twice in a row. Make sure to make a lot of backups.

That is what I thought, so I implemented code to absolutely make sure it can't do this. I have tried so many times to replicate this and I can't. I hope it fixes itself when I update soon.

So there's one little dumb feature that I don't think I've seen that this has that I really miss from at least one other editor and would love to have back in this -- and that is the ability to change Pokedex numbers of 'mons. Did I just gloss over this? If it's not in the editor, are there plans to add it?

Yup, those are in the works.:)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I have a question, will you be adding support for 64x32 icons? Someone posted (a long time ago) in the quick recourse thread a rar of all icons, but they're 64x32 instead of 32x64, so can you make it support them? :)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I have a question, will you be adding support for 64x32 icons? Someone posted (a long time ago) in the quick recourse thread a rar of all icons, but they're 64x32 instead of 32x64, so can you make it support them? :)

I just added this:) I should be able to release in the next few days. My computer had died and I am almost done setting up the new one with all of the dependencies. Windows makes python work kind of awkward because it isn't part of the native run time. It is running great under Linux.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
May I know will you adding the feature of the new evolution methods for Emerald in the next release?
He will need the map names for Emerald to make this work. Specifically the table of pointers to the text the names are stored. If you find them let him know.

Years
He will need the map names for Emerald to make this work. Specifically the table of pointers to the text the names are stored. If you find them let him know.

Thank you for telling me. Finally I get them:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Norton is saying there is a trojan attached. http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-011016-0119-99&vid=4294921081&prod=scss&product=Norton%20Security%20Suite&version=20.5.0.28&plang=sym:EN&layouttype=SOS&buildname=SymantecPartner&heartbeatID=63084FB2-C9D9-11DF-AE18-E0CB4ECEC8D2&env=prod&ispid=1122&sitename=US&vendorid=Symantec&plid=0&skup=21272414&skum=21272414&skuf=21228661&endpointid={63084FB2-C9D9-11DF-AE18-E0CB4ECEC8D2}&partnerid=Symantec&lic_type=64&lic_attr=152594&osvers=6.1&oslocale=iso:USA&oslang=iso:ENG&os=windows

Back