• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you read others' posts in OVP?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
this thread inspired by Vendak and sammi-san.

So I want to present you with the idea of "everyone posts, no-one reads". Are you guilty of this in Other Voting Polls? Do you simply drop in to post your opinions on things and then leave, or do you stay to read others' posts to get a better idea of them?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I scroll through and I will stop if its somebody interesting or somebody posting more than

"I have a dog his name is spot he is 3 years old i love him very much the end"

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
At the time I post my reply, yes, I'm guilty of doing that. I do read people's replies to threads I find very interesting, like your recent style thread and hypothetical threads that Vendak (and others!) posts that involve very interesting scenarios. When I'm bored, I'll open a few threads and read all the replies to pass the time. But I almost always read the replies of Ayselipera, Vendak, Razor Leaf, Scarf, and Shining Raichu, among others whether or not I find the thread very interesting.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Sometimes I read above posts to make sure I'm answering the question right.

...Other than that, no, not really to be honest.

Years
I read everything! It's kind of my job, being the mod and all, to make sure everything's in line. I'll admit to glazing over some days I totally spaced in that one fashion thread today but for the most part I notice what's said.

When I wasn't a mod, I only read the replies in the threads I posted or was possibly going to post in. Threads I wasn't going to bother with? Nah. It wasn't my job, and I had no interest in the threads at all, so why bother?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I read everything in a topic I intend to post in or find interesting, but after posting I don't always continue to follow the topic. I do like to read through what others say though, mainly because I like to see how others view things. :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It really depends. Sometimes I would go over and see what others have said, while other days I would just scroll down and post in the thread myself, or just not post at all. It depends on my mood, whether I feel like it, and what the subject is. With some of the more interesting subjects I would see what others would post, but not post myself because I would probably post something lame, heh.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
Years
I read pretty much every post in a thread, unless it's really long. Then I usually read the first page, then the last page. I actually like hearing other people's opinions on stuff I have very little opinion on.

Years
If I intend to reply I like to read what others have said so I know I'm not just repeating the same thing someone else has said. And, you know, there are some interesting responses often. Some topics, like this one, actually, have responses which are either "yes, I do" or "no, I don't" and with these I tend to skim more than read.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
When I wasn't a mod, I only read the replies in the threads I posted or was possibly going to post in. Threads I wasn't going to bother with? Nah. It wasn't my job, and I had no interest in the threads at all, so why bother?

Hah, I certainly would have never been able to tell that you weren't reading every post in every thread. When I modded OVP you were reporting issues to me faster than I could find them myself and in such numbers that it felt like you had to be scouring each and every post. Practically did my job for me until I was S-Modded XD

To answer the question, I generally try to read other posts in each poll. I do wish that polls generated more actual discussion on the subject between members, though, as Other Chat seems to have morphed into mostly a debate/politics/controversy forum leaving no middle ground for subjects that aren't necessarily traditional "conversation" material but don't necessarily need to be phrased in the form of a question.

I never want to be a hit-and-run OVP poster whose only motivation is to show everyone what a unique snowflake I am in hopes that I somehow become the center of conversation, and I'd like it if people engaged each other more. Even mundane topics can be fun to discuss!

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
Years
I go through everybody's post.

Maybe the mood's usually too dull to generate discussion. I don't know.

moments.

quixotic
Years
I read like the first couple to see how people have answered, and then realise how many are on the page and skip them all. xP

Unless there is a wall of text, or something that grabs my attention, I just skip to the bottom. Also, if there are like less than 10 or so, I'll read them. But yeah, not really.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
I read pretty much every post in a thread, unless it's really long. Then I usually read the first page, then the last page.
This is what I do in most cases when I see a thread I might want to post in. Kinda gives me a chance to see what sort of responses are given and confirm whether I really do want to post myself. Sometimes I also read through threads that just look like interesting reads, and don't actually post, either 'cause I don't have a real opinion or because my opinion has already been thoroughly represented - or just 'cause I don't feel like typing up a post X3

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I usually do read everything, thought sometimes it does gotta depend on the thread and the question at hand. Sometimes if there are already like four pages worth then I'd get too lazy to read everythin and come back later.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
It depends on how long the thread is, I'll generally always read at least the first page. I do it a lot if I'm not actually sure if I want to post in the thread, so I can see what generally people are saying and figure out if I want to post or whatever. I know what I mean.
But yeah I read other posts in OVP.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Most of the time, I come to an OVP thread to just post my opinion, then leave, but on more difficult topics, I stick around and read other people's posts.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
If the first post is too long, I simply scroll down and read a few posts and kiinda like.. get the general idea of the question and then post. xD;;;

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Sometimes I read above posts to make sure I'm answering the question right.
it also depends on my mood is when it comes to reading other peoples posts.

Ayselipera

But I almost always read the replies of Ayselipera, Vendak, Razor Leaf, Scarf, and Shining Raichu, among others whether or not I find the thread very interesting.

thx 4 showin sum luv much appreciate

Depends on my mood. Typically I'll read at least one or two from people who I find interesting or make me laugh. If I'm feeling adventurous or the topic is an interesting one I may read everyone's. Otherwise I just skim through quickly and look for keywords such as what I did today.

Back