• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Masuda Method Questions:
-I have a JPN Tyranitar. I am breeding it with a Ditto, trying to hatch a Shiny Larvitar. Will the Masuda Method come into effect? Because I've gone through tons of eggs, and no shinies.

-I have a French Charmander. Does the Masuda Method still work? Or does it have to be Japanese?

-Is there anywhere that I can catch a Pokemon with the ability Heat Body?

It should still work with any foreign pokemon regardless of them being french or not. Even with the Masuda method there's still a very low chance of a shiny being hatched (I beleive around 1 out of a 1000 with the MM).

-:-

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2012
When can't X Speed be used in battle i.e. types of battles, in-game vs wifi, etc?

Thank you

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm sorry for the question, didn't know it was against the rules. :) I'm currently working on a team (im using the smogon pokedex to guide me), as soon as it's done I'll post it in that section of the forum. :)

Do you know any guide that explains how to build up a team? E.g.: how many (physical/special) sweepers do I need? How many (phys/spec) walls do I need? And last but not least: how to build up a moveset? I didn't find any of those guides on this forum (or I overlooked them).

Thx in advance

Nick

Well there's no actual guide really. It depends on the playstyle you're aiming for, pretty much. If you're going for balanced... then having at least one physical/special sweeper is a good thing since you can hurt things that'd otherwise not really be hurt by those attacks (aka Skarmory versus Blissey). Something to set up hazards can also come in handy, as well as a supporter in general (aka Blissey or whatever you use to use Wishes and so on). Generally something with priority helps and then a Pokemon to tie them all together. PC doesn't actually have any guides along those lines, but when the upcoming improved guides do go ahead that kind of stuff could probably be included. As for movesets, generally things that'd cover your weaknesses. For example, Reuniclus. Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/TR. First = STAB, second = cover your weakness to ghost and allows you to hit other psychic types, third = covers steel which you otherwise can't hurt much and dark types which your other two attacks don't do anything to. And finally TR so you can outspeed all your opponents. So really with building movesets you want maximum coverage against things that are commonly threats to you.

Either way these sort of questions are probably best suited to Competitive Battling Center's Simple Q&A, since this thread is mainly for help with things in-game and not really how to build teams and the terminology.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
does anyone know if theres a way to change my pokemon name on B/W without it having a nickname?
The only way you can change your Pokémon's name is through the Name Rater (or catching a Pokémon and nicknaming it when it asks you to). It's called a nickname but your Pokémon is stuck with it throughout everything so it's practically its 'name' anyway.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The only way you can change your Pokémon's name is through the Name Rater (or catching a Pokémon and nicknaming it when it asks you to). It's called a nickname but your Pokémon is stuck with it throughout everything so it's practically its 'name' anyway.
To add to this in case you don't know where the name rater is: He's in Castelia city in the street north of the central plaza. He's in one of the building in the left side of that street.

J1KTheGamer

Peace For All
Years
i know about the name rater and stuff i just want to know if i can change the name after i allready catched it and it does not have one

-:-

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2012
What are examples of unresisted movesets?

Thank you

P.S. Might I nudge your sights upward to my other unanswered questions lol. Contrarily, might I elicit a more apt response in other threads i.e. those more relevant?

Thanks again

Additionally, which combinations provide overall coverage? Not simply in theoretical terms as Fire/Ground is considered complete but does not phase Aerodactyl.

Last edited:

J1KTheGamer

Peace For All
Years
does the natures have any effect over a pokemon? for me they seen to do nothing...just exist and a bounch of ppl on the forum seem to be picky with the nature

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Natures affect the stats. An adamant nature, for example, boosts the attack stat, while lowers the special attack stat. It's wise to use a nature that boosts the stat you're highest in, or should be highest in. For example, if you're using a choice item, you should boost the speed with a speed boosting nature - usually jolly or timid (if it's an attacking item instead of scarf), since you're already getting the boost from the choice item. So for competitive battling this becomes an important thing.

Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
According to Bulbapedia, Mewtwo is available from 2/12 to 3/6. The game says "there were no gifts to be found." Did distribution end early?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
According to Bulbapedia, Mewtwo is available from 2/12 to 3/6.The game says "there were no gifts to be found." Did distribution end early?

According to Serebii a few days ago on the 25th:

Pokémon Black & White - Mewtwo WiFi Event Live

For those of you with the English language games, the Mewtwo WiFi event is about to reach the first of its possible end dates. This event is accessible by all English language games and according to some official text is due to end tomorrow.

The actual website doesn't have an end date on it though (on Pokemon.com), but there was nothing on Serebii saying it was going to continue so I believe Bulbapedia is in the wrong here.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
According to Bulbapedia, Mewtwo is available from 2/12 to 3/6.The game says "there were no gifts to be found." Did distribution end early?

Well there was another announcement that said it ended on the date Toujours posted, which was before the announcement that said it finished on the 6th. Unfortunately, the first announcement appears to be right and the second one wasn't correct. :( You can always see if someone in the Quick Trade Thread in Trade Corner is willing to trade a special Mewtwo to you, though!

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2014
Pokemon White Problem!

I just booted up my copy of Pokemon White, purchased the day it was released last year. After the title screen shows, I find out that it only gives me an option to start a New Game. What happened to my saved game? I spent a lot of time on that game and I don't want to lose it!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I just booted up my copy of Pokemon White, purchased the day it was released last year. After the title screen shows, I find out that it only gives me an option to start a New Game. What happened to my saved game? I spent a lot of time on that game and I don't want to lose it!

I'm afraid that it's probably too late to do anything. Someone has deleted the saved data on the game (or your game glitched and did it itself.)

Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2012
Effort Values

I need some help understanding EVs, I've read the FAQ section of the forums but I still don't get it. To get attack EV I must fight Lillipups and Patrat (?) I'm not 100% sure on the names. Does that mean I have to level up the Pokemon I want to gain attack EV in that area? Killing level 5-10 with a level 25?

I never usually play the technical stuff with games (including WoW). I'm sure there are tonnes of posts about this but could you spare me a few minutes of explanation?

Thanks! :laugh:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need some help understanding EVs, I've read the FAQ section of the forums but I still don't get it. To get attack EV I must fight Lillipups and Patrat (?) I'm not 100% sure on the names. Does that mean I have to level up the Pokemon I want to gain attack EV in that area? Killing level 5-10 with a level 25?

I never usually play the technical stuff with games (including WoW). I'm sure there are tonnes of posts about this but could you spare me a few minutes of explanation?

Thanks! :laugh:
You don't have to level up the Pokemon while you EV train, though the Pokemon you're training might level up in the process (depending on whether or not you have the Macho Brace or a Power item attached). It's best to stick to the areas that contain low level Pokemon just so you don't get KOed that easily.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2013
Aftermath of Pokemon League - PKMN WHITE

Now that I've defeated the Second Round of Pokemon League and explored every area.... Is there anything left to do in this game?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Now that I've defeated the Second Round of Pokemon League and explored every area.... Is there anything left to do in this game?

Well you could go find the Sages, catch every Pokemon in the region, get all the items in the Musicals, try to do as well as you can in the Battle Subway, train your Pokemon to level 100, and so on. Since this is pretty much a quick question, merging with Quick Questions in case somebody else can think of something else to add, and this isn't really discussion-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back