• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Screenshot/Music Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Who like my new PokeCenter?

2dtomc5.jpg

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Who like my new PokeCenter?

2dtomc5.jpg

the dolls are a little offputting, you should make them more doll-like, at first I mistook them for pokemon, but then I thought it'd be weird so it must be dolls
other than that the center seems a little cramped but I suppose its fine the way it is

now to my screenshot, its not much a screenshot, but it's seriously bugging me - I need critique on it, I hate it, but it seems pretty okay, but I need some advice and criticism:
Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
now to my screenshot, its not much a screenshot, but it's seriously bugging me - I need critique on it, I hate it, but it seems pretty okay, but I need some advice and criticism:
Spoiler:

First off, you really need to work on composition. Right now, all characters are just lined up. Try mixing it up by having them in different distances from the viewer. Try looking at movie posters for inspiration. Also since Pokémon sprites are bigger scale than trainers, it looks like the people are very small.
Secondly, no background is a big minus.

The evil-shadow behind the guy on the right is a nice touch though and is a great idea for things like a titlescreen.
Also: Don't feel restricted by the borders that exist in a standard title screen. Try making something completely original.

Lastly, don't use the in-game sprites for a titlescreen. A titlescreen is supposed to be something epic that will draw players into wanting to play the game. Try making original sprites for the characters, in differents sizes and make a cool composition. It will look a lot better, even if the spritework may not be top notch.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
First off, you really need to work on composition. Right now, all characters are just lined up. Try mixing it up by having them in different distances from the viewer. Try looking at movie posters for inspiration. Also since Pokémon sprites are bigger scale than trainers, it looks like the people are very small.
Secondly, no background is a big minus.

The evil-shadow behind the guy on the right is a nice touch though and is a great idea for things like a titlescreen.
Also: Don't feel restricted by the borders that exist in a standard title screen. Try making something completely original.

Lastly, don't use the in-game sprites for a titlescreen. A titlescreen is supposed to be something epic that will draw players into wanting to play the game. Try making original sprites for the characters, in differents sizes and make a cool composition. It will look a lot better, even if the spritework may not be top notch.

I'll work on the other problems and I see what you mean, but the gradient background isnt good? I'm not sure what else to use, but I'll think of something

- Well, I've been working on it, and I have something halfway decent, but I'm not quite sure what type of background would fit...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

tImE

Years
I'll work on the other problems and I see what you mean, but the gradient background isnt good? I'm not sure what else to use, but I'll think of something

- Well, I've been working on it, and I have something halfway decent, but I'm not quite sure what type of background would fit...
Spoiler:

Your new one looks A LOT better!

The problem I have with your background is that the gradient have too many colors, and the gradient isn't high contrast enough. I can barely see that the background is chganging color. Since the rest of it is pixel art, why isn't the background?
You could try to do what I did. I used the backgrounds used in battle in the NDS games.

This is my Titlescreen:
blaze_red_and_lush_green_titlescreen_by_44tim44-d6hd69x.png

(I'd like some feedback on mine aswell! :P)

As you can see, my background isn't as "boring" as yours, simply because there's some detail in it.
Gradients can be put to good use, but I think yours is in the wrong style.

Still, I love your new sprite and evil-shadow, along with the mysterious shadow on the left.
You might want to have something more on the left side, that isn't a shadow, to give the composition more balance!
Keep up the good work!

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I like everything, but the lack of shadow below the Pokemon and the split between the characters is pretty abrupt. Maybe a little detail on the separation? Like a flash of lightning or something.. idk.

In Magic: The Gathering, there is a mechanic called Split Second and the mechanic is often reflected in the art, and it is a really neat split concept for opposition or change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/products/timespiral/creative2_l97xjj11t7mxvx3r.jpg

or

http://www.epilogue.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_lg/images/06/38/36331_1159156800.jpg

or

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/TSP/Word_of_Seizing.jpg

I feel like it would be a decent execution of the concept even on a title screen as it creates action and interest while keeping things busy

Even altering something like a pixel picture of a forest to have part of it on fire or something, as opposed to the gradient.

tImE

Years
I like everything, but the lack of shadow below the Pokemon and the split between the characters is pretty abrupt. Maybe a little detail on the separation? Like a flash of lightning or something.. idk.

In Magic: The Gathering, there is a mechanic called Split Second and the mechanic is often reflected in the art, and it is a really neat split concept for opposition or change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/products/timespiral/creative2_l97xjj11t7mxvx3r.jpg

or

http://www.epilogue.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/gallery_lg/images/06/38/36331_1159156800.jpg

or

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/TSP/Word_of_Seizing.jpg

I feel like it would be a decent execution of the concept even on a title screen as it creates action and interest while keeping things busy

Even altering something like a pixel picture of a forest to have part of it on fire or something, as opposed to the gradient.

The second example is kind of what I was going for with the titlescreen. A clean nice cut between the two. It is supposed to be two titlescreens, taking up the same space, and I don't really want to make a fancy lightning or rip effect, because it'd look really messy. Just having a line between them doesn't really look good either, but I'll experiment a little!

As for the gradient, I didn't want a too fancy background, because it might take the focus off of the Pokémon and the Trainers.
I was actually testing with a forest and a forest on fire as the different ones, but it didn't really mix in well with the foreground without looking messy, and I didn't want to blur it, because blur ruins pixel-art imo. But I'll try some more!

Thanks for the input.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I can see how it would get too busy. I think some more emphasis on the splitting might be the ticket to keeping it simplistic yet interesting at the same time. I am interested in seeing what else you try.

All else fails, it still looks pretty good.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
the dolls are a little offputting, you should make them more doll-like, at first I mistook them for pokemon, but then I thought it'd be weird so it must be dolls
other than that the center seems a little cramped but I suppose its fine the way it is
They are the HGSS Follow me's, not dolls, and they were only in there for the screenshot.

I think the contrast on the counters is too little.
Also: A more orangey, or at least lighter red, color would be better for the wall.
It doesn't look great when its the same as Nurse Joys counter.

Other than that, I think it looks really nice :D

Ill see what I can do. I noticed that as well, but didnt know how anyone else felt about it.

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I would scrap them for counter flowers. They look super strange, whether they are dolls or actual Pokemon.

I am also not a fan of sticking things into a screenshot that are not representing what actual game play is like.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Your new one looks A LOT better!

The problem I have with your background is that the gradient have too many colors, and the gradient isn't high contrast enough. I can barely see that the background is chganging color. Since the rest of it is pixel art, why isn't the background?
This is my Titlescreen:

(I'd like some feedback on mine aswell! :P)
Still, I love your new sprite and evil-shadow, along with the mysterious shadow on the left.
You might want to have something more on the left side, that isn't a shadow, to give the composition more balance!
Keep up the good work!

I see what you're saying - as for your screen, it seems a little abrupt with the change, I suppose its fine like that but they look very different, as one's hat is comparably larger than the other it seems a bit off-putting, and the backgrounds are also very differently shaded so clashing them together doesnt really blend well, but at the same time the contrast is still very interesting, maybe if the two sides were a little more symmetrical or asymmetrical - because there is too much of both right now - it should be one or the other, and I think you're looking for symmetry
Overall I like it a lot, but it could use some changes

as for your advice, I've been working on the placement to get it down, but I'm not sure what else I can add to balance the composition out without making it too cluttered
(and also I like having the shadow in the back left, as there isnt much to draw attention to it, yet it still catches your eye; similarly, you never see the main antagonist until the end, yet he is mentioned and he catches your attention)

as for the gradient, I suppose it doesnt really fit, or maybe I should make it more drastic - I'm not sure x.X anyway - I took your ideas and made two (though I think #1 is the better of the 2) one is more drastic changes as well as interesting - while the other is more pixel art, and sort of cool - I'm not sure, I'm driving myself mad trying to make the perfect backgorund
Spoiler:

tImE

Years
as for your advice, I've been working on the placement to get it down, but I'm not sure what else I can add to balance the composition out without making it too cluttered
(and also I like having the shadow in the back left, as there isnt much to draw attention to it, yet it still catches your eye; similarly, you never see the main antagonist until the end, yet he is mentioned and he catches your attention)

as for the gradient, I suppose it doesnt really fit, or maybe I should make it more drastic - I'm not sure x.X anyway - I took your ideas and made two (though I think #1 is the better of the 2) one is more drastic changes as well as interesting - while the other is more pixel art, and sort of cool - I'm not sure, I'm driving myself mad trying to make the perfect backgorund
Spoiler:

I think the first background looks better, but I think I know what the problem is with your background.
It's using the double resolution the foreground does.
You're not using 2x pixels for the background. That's why it clashes with the foreground.
Either make the foreground use smaller pixels aswell, or make the background have bigger ones.

---------------------

I tried fixing the split and adding shadows to the Pokémon.
I also recentered and added some borders.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I see what you're saying - as for your screen, it seems a little abrupt with the change, I suppose its fine like that but they look very different, as one's hat is comparably larger than the other it seems a bit off-putting, and the backgrounds are also very differently shaded so clashing them together doesnt really blend well, but at the same time the contrast is still very interesting, maybe if the two sides were a little more symmetrical or asymmetrical - because there is too much of both right now - it should be one or the other, and I think you're looking for symmetry
Overall I like it a lot, but it could use some changes

Spoiler:

Whatever is in the center should be black... and idk about the character shadow thing going on. Seems rather meh.

I tried fixing the split and adding shadows to the Pokémon.
I also recentered and added some borders.

Looks a million times better. Any way to get the characters to blend better? They are on a much softer pallet then that sprites and backgrounds.

The green background also has an abrupt change in tones where the orange one does not. Kind of throws me off.

tImE

Years
HAHA! XD
I was hoping noone had time to post yet, so I could edit my post.

I just did that. :P

I plan to make the sprites of the pokemon much softer as well, when I have time XD

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
HAHA! XD
I was hoping noone had time to post yet, so I could edit my post.

I just did that. :P

I plan to make the sprites of the pokemon much softer as well, when I have time XD

I would actually, probably leave them and maybe soften up the BG just a touch then adjust the trainers to be honest. The trainers look much more anime still, which looks a bit awkward I think, but Damn that is starting to look good :D

tImE

Years
I would actually, probably leave them and maybe soften up the BG just a touch then adjust the trainers to be honest. The trainers look much more anime still, which looks a bit awkward I think, but Damn that is starting to look good :D

Well, I think the titlescreen is supposed to be a little more High definition, epic, not-the-usual-stuff kind of artwork, so I'd prefer to have the big color pallette the trainers use. They are actually based on BW2's Phone Mugshots, so I don't think they are a "misfit" for Pokémon! XD

But I'll try to soften up the BG a little.

Thanks for the help. My Titlescreen is so much more epic now, thanks to you! :D

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
It is mainly the skin tone that is getting to me I guess. It is pretty pale and seems to just clash with the more saturated colors of the title screen. Their clothing and hair color seems fine.

A final note, the screen looks great. I personally would play with the text below the sprites to make it look more official. The Text is arching like it should, but it is still vertically aligned which kind of clashes with the arching.

2d1ut8y.png

Pokemon%20Ruby.jpg

You can kind of see the difference. Mine is a little less subtle, but it is still applied to the official games as well. It just really helps with flow when you are doing anything with typography.

tImE

Years
Well, the biggest problem is the fact that I have two titles, which means, I either have to use very small font, or place them apart, otherwise it covers too much off the titlescreen.
If I could place them together, making a proper arch which flows well would be easier.

I'll try playing a little with the arch effect and try to make them one half of an arch each.
That might work.

EDIT:

I tried it out, and I think it works pretty well, but like I said, I'm afraid it covers too much screen area :/

2412332Titlescreen_test_font_5.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back