• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Helio Version

Which starter would you pick?

• Chamelica - Grass Starter

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • Kittorch - Fire Starter

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • Pireel - Water Starter

Votes: 106 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omn

Moogle King
Years
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

At the beginning you are given a choice between choosing a male or choosing a female. This is much like Ruby and Sapphire and any games following it.

EDIT: AceDragonite: Imagine it to be like the Pikachu that Oak had. It is technically the '4th' starter, but inchoosable. Its more for plot.
Also, our banner works again! :P

Actually is was pokemon Crystal that introduced playing as a girl or boy first not Ruby and Sapphire. I just can't believe that some people overlook the second gen games anyway the trailer was amazing.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Actually is was pokemon Crystal that introduced playing as a girl or boy first not Ruby and Sapphire. I just can't believe that some people overlook the second gen games anyway the trailer was amazing.

...the second generation was by far the best of the entire series, please do not question my loving of them. Yes, I know Crystal introduced the playablity of being a girl, but Ruby and Sapphire made the opposite choice into your rival, which is what we are doing. It is in this way that we are akin to Ruby and Sapphire, not Crystal.

I figured that I'd just simplify by saying the 3rd gen and on, because I consider the second gen to be more Gold/Silver esque, and they still had the player as a male. :/

And thanks for the comment about the trailer. I'm glad to know people are still watching it :P

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
@ starrmyt I kind of like the idea of seperate gender games, it definetley sets Helio/Selene apart from other games.

@Aquakip,
022ottum.gif

[S-HIGHLIGHT]
Ottum
The Autumn Pokmon
[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Type: Normal
Ability: Run Away

Moar Puns really?

Starrcasm

Years
To quote Sarah Palin, "You betchya!"

Ottum is the mascot of Helio Version. We liken it to Marill. Its a mascot, but its not an electric rodent...but its still a rodent :)

Anyway, I'm still working on the demo, I have the majority of it done, actually. So that's pretty exciting. We're looking for a mid-to-late October release date if all goes well, with beta testing starting around late September.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
okay keep up the good work guys. I kind of want to know more about the story. (I also wish I could have helped with it but Bards Sword is the writer already :)

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
HEY GUYS!!! I'M BAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

After completing seven intense weeks of studying, I am back in the States. I've got to get adjusted and get unpacked, but as soon as I do, you can expect another plot update. Thanks for being so patient!

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Right, you can fancy this game up with all the sprites you want.
But it's not hiding the fact that, from what I can see(I'm judging from what I can see, there no point saying there is something and not showing it, I see that you don't have one.) You're story line is one of the worst I have ever seen, it's so "unpokemony". I don't see that going anywhere at all, I know this may see harsh but you need to do something about it. And even the plot is just classic standard pokemon. Sort this all out, and you'll have a real game.

Moving on, the sprites.
take this one.
another.png

The backsprite the outline could be better, see at the front, the outline is too patchy it doesn't look nice, more as it's missing, choose a darker shade to compliment the black.
And the same with the back, there seem to be a too heavy shade on the tail.
This seems to happen on most, if not all of your sprites.

Starrcasm

Years
But it's not hiding the fact that, from what I can see(I'm judging from what I can see, there no point saying there is something and not showing it, I see that you don't have one.) You're story line is one of the worst I have ever seen, it's so "unpokemony". I don't see that going anywhere at all, I know this may see harsh but you need to do something about it. And even the plot is just classic standard pokemon. Sort this all out, and you'll have a real game.

:/ Well, i sorta figured we'd get this kind of comment sooner or later, so i guess now would be an appropriate time to address it. Let me make this clear, so I won't have to repeat myself. [I'll probably still have to repeat myself.] You, in insulting our storyline, told us EXACTLY what we want to hear. We want to break norms while still sticking to the basic pokemon 'screenplay', if you will. Though it COMPLETELY contradicts your saying "the plot is just classic standard pokemon."

So what is it, unpokemony or classic standard pokemon? Because i can't really see it being both.

Also, I'd like to know exactly which parts of the plot and story are "one of the worst I've ever seen", because critique isn't just saying "Thats bad," its saying "That's bad and here's how you can fix it:"

So hopefully I'll get a response on this, but you'll probably get a larger response from Bards Sword later in the day. So good luck with that. :)

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Ben-

To quote one James Earl Jones:

IS THAT A CHALLENGE!?!

But seriously, I have been holding back plot information for a very specific reason. The plot is finished. Utterly done. But if I were to come down and write every single plot point while the actual game development is still finishing starter island demo, well, would that give you anything to look forward to? No.

I know that didn't answer your question, but I started that way to say: If you want me to, I will PM you the plot down to the last detail. Then you can respond and say what you don't like in specific. Trust me, I love to hear constructive criticism, but saying "Your plot sucks" gets both of us nowhere. So, man up a little, and tell me what you really think.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Moving on, the sprites.
take this one.
another.png

The backsprite the outline could be better, see at the front, the outline is too patchy it doesn't look nice, more as it's missing, choose a darker shade to compliment the black.
And the same with the back, there seem to be a too heavy shade on the tail.
This seems to happen on most, if not all of your sprites.

Seeing as Starrmyt and Bards Sword have responded to the first part of the post, ignoring the second half, I figure I'll take the liberty to respond.

The front of the outline isn't patchy at all. That, my friend, is the style I sprite all of my sprites in, and it's a style that many people love. So I will not be changing that just because you dislike it.

Now, for the back of the sprite, if I am correct, you are speaking about the tail. Right? Well, take a look at ALL backsprites and tell me, are their lines not that thick? I studied these Pokemon sprites for many many days and worked my ass off (excuse the language), and I am not about to be told that I am doing them WRONG.

So thanks for the "crit", Ben. But I believe you should follow up on things like this before dissing others.

Thanks,
~Aqua

---
EDIT:
SPRITE UPDATE -

Marmozap #23

023marmozap.gif

The EleChimp Pokemon
Type: Electric
Ability: Static

"Marmozap are very curious creatures. They tend to cause trouble at power plants, playing with cables and wires and messing up the systematics."

Last edited:

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
I have to say that Marmozap is one my favourites so far, along with the starter families, Buradry, Soltaria, the Barcush family, the final Ice evo and the region's first two birds. I am disappointed however with its lack of an evo.

On the subject of sprites, I'm not so keen of both the snakes. They're designs are not so unique... I'm also not so keen on the Tornado pokemon, they just don't really look too genuine. That's just my 1 pence however...

Keep up the rest of the good work. Look forward to the demo!
Well done on its design however

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
okay Emort team, this is a really nice game graphic-wise as ben said but let me show you the plot again.

So as I stated earlier, the game begins with you just out of high school. You find your long time crush, who has often rejected you, hanging out with a man in his twenties, and they seem to have a relationship Lets throw in some Degrassi I see. She informs you that she is going to be a trainer, and desperate to impress her, you follow her. Meanwhile, your friend Aaron, who believes you just threw away your life for a girl, essentially becomes your rival, trying to stop you. After beating the first gym leader, the man and another woman appear to you and introduce themselves as Team Solar, an organization that plans to destroy the world through pollution what is wrong with our regular world, why must you restart humanity? and restart humanity on a moon colony. [I was told to make this about pollution, go with it] Of course, this is absurd, and you reject the offer. Team Solar starts a long history of tracking you down.

What is Team Solar's true purpose? That's this spoiler. A while ago, a reckless young pokemon catcher a Pokemon catcher? don't you mean trainernamed Julian Ronald Dag0n and that HAS to be his last name? (yes, thats a real last name, no, its not a slur) heard that the god of the ozone, Rayquaza, had gone crazy due to pollution It went CRAZY how? That would make it harder prey imo. Thinking it would make Rayquaza easier prey Prey wtf? Your supposed to catch it, not kill it., Julian attempted to capture him atop Mt. Sanguit. But Rayquaza smashed Julian's pokeballs and almost killed him. When Rayquaza was right on top of him, Julian took out a hunting knife and stabbed it into Rayquaza's belly, killing him. THIS IS THE PART THAT MAKES ME WONDER WHETHER YOU WERE ABOVE THE INFLUENCE OR NOT.

AND THEN THERE'S THE PART ABOUT THE MERCENARY, WHICH MAKES THE GAME SOUND LIKE STAR WARS.

As I a writer overthought (not bad, Just EXTREMELY OVERTHOUGHT) plots like this in fan games annoy me. If you would like some advice please contact me.

Julian has long felt confused and guilty by this deicide. He believed he needed to do something to redeem himself in the eyes of Rayquaza, and that he should help save the ozone and the earth. But the more Julian came to study the subject, the more he believed the earth was doomed. So he entered the pokemon League, became champion, and used his new money to fund a moon colony, and his pulpit to spread awareness of global warming. But few listened to him. As he grew older, Julian came to believe he would die before humanity was aware of its fate. This could not do, for in order to redeem himself, Julian had to be the savior of humanity. So he started Team Solar to speed up global warming, promising criminals a chance to start over in a new world, in hopes that one day the world would see that it needed him.

On the birght side: This little guy
023marmozap.gif
<3

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
okay Emort team, this is a really nice game graphic-wise as ben said but let me show you the plot again.

So as I stated earlier, the game begins with you just out of high school. You find your long time crush, who has often rejected you, hanging out with a man in his twenties, and they seem to have a relationship Lets throw in some Degrassi I see. She informs you that she is going to be a trainer, and desperate to impress her, you follow her. Meanwhile, your friend Aaron, who believes you just threw away your life for a girl, essentially becomes your rival, trying to stop you. After beating the first gym leader, the man and another woman appear to you and introduce themselves as Team Solar, an organization that plans to destroy the world through pollution what is wrong with our regular world, why must you restart humanity? and restart humanity on a moon colony. [I was told to make this about pollution, go with it] Of course, this is absurd, and you reject the offer. Team Solar starts a long history of tracking you down.

What is Team Solar's true purpose? That's this spoiler. A while ago, a reckless young pokemon catcher a Pokemon catcher? don't you mean trainernamed Julian Ronald Dag0n and that HAS to be his last name? (yes, thats a real last name, no, its not a slur) heard that the god of the ozone, Rayquaza, had gone crazy due to pollution It went CRAZY how? That would make it harder prey imo. Thinking it would make Rayquaza easier prey Prey wtf? Your supposed to catch it, not kill it., Julian attempted to capture him atop Mt. Sanguit. But Rayquaza smashed Julian's pokeballs and almost killed him. When Rayquaza was right on top of him, Julian took out a hunting knife and stabbed it into Rayquaza's belly, killing him. THIS IS THE PART THAT MAKES ME WONDER WHETHER YOU WERE ABOVE THE INFLUENCE OR NOT.

AND THEN THERE'S THE PART ABOUT THE MERCENARY, WHICH MAKES THE GAME SOUND LIKE STAR WARS.

As I a writer overthought (not bad, Just EXTREMELY OVERTHOUGHT) plots like this in fan games annoy me. If you would like some advice please contact me.

Julian has long felt confused and guilty by this deicide. He believed he needed to do something to redeem himself in the eyes of Rayquaza, and that he should help save the ozone and the earth. But the more Julian came to study the subject, the more he believed the earth was doomed. So he entered the pokemon League, became champion, and used his new money to fund a moon colony, and his pulpit to spread awareness of global warming. But few listened to him. As he grew older, Julian came to believe he would die before humanity was aware of its fate. This could not do, for in order to redeem himself, Julian had to be the savior of humanity. So he started Team Solar to speed up global warming, promising criminals a chance to start over in a new world, in hopes that one day the world would see that it needed him.

On the birght side: This little guy
023marmozap.gif
<3

In my opinion, the plot is pretty solid.

Everyone wants to improve the world. This guy is obsessed with the idea that the world is irepairable and so seeks to create a new one.

The bit about Rayquaza dying is shaking up Pokemon a bit. We know they die. You even fight a dead Marowak in the official games and Spiritomb was formed from 32 wicked souls. Lavender Town, Mt. Pyre and Lost Tomb are chock-full of graves. I see know problem with the idea of someone trying to kill Rayquaza?

Anywho, I love the plot. :cer_smile:

DialgaPalkiaGiratina

Kudos to zappyspiker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 8, 2010
This is going great! I love the characters you get to be, they are amazing! I also love the tiles, especially the tall grass, it looks so muh like real grass (Unlike in the real games >.>)

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
AceDragonite-

I'm going to answer all your critiques one after another, to show how thorough I am. That, and to annoy you.

1. I don't know what Degrassi is, so I can't answer you. Sorry. I didn't take it from Degrassi, if that's what you're thinking, because I don't know what it is.

2.Because, as Julian wants you to think, he believes the world is evil and cruel and needs to be redone. However, because thats not his real reason, it of course doesn't truly hold up.

3. Yes. I mean trainer. Thank you for the spelling (?) error.

4.Alright, here. Here is the origin of our name. Starrmyt and I both attended a summer camp called Frenchwoods. Every year, a man named Ron Dag0n would come and play really, really annoying songs for two hours in the amphitheater as an evening activity, and everyone would be forced to attend. While at camp, the day after we were brainstorming villain names, and of course, Ron Dag0n's name came up. What can I say? Its an inside joke.

5.Well, wouldn't breathing in toxins make you crazy too? And yes, it makes it harder to capture, but Julian didn't know that.

6.Yes, easier prey to capture. He just wanted to capture Rayquaza. He only killed it after his life was in danger. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

7. As I take pride on never having drunk or smoked pot or done any type of drug, that comment hurts. Julian stabbing a soft spot on Rayquaza's belly is an allusion to the Hobbit. I thought Rayquaza kinda looked like a dragon, and in the Hobbit Smog is killed by an arrow to the soft side of his underbelly. People don't use arrows anymore, but there are still hunting knives, so I used that instead.

8. Star Wars? Uh...Mercenaries exist outside of Star Wars. Hate to tell you. I needed a word to show this mercenary was not affiliated with Team Solar, but just working for money, as that's important. It was a choice between Mercenary and Assassin. I chose Mercenary. Seriously man? Star Wars? Wow.

9. This is my biggest, biggest complaint. The sole reason, the sole reason I joined this project was to give the plot more emphasis and more complexity. I am not aiming for a simple plot that is common in all the Nintendo games. I wanted to show that within its limitation, pokemon could be used to host a grand story. If you don't like complex plots and would prefer a mindless button masher, go play Street Fighter or something, or go to some other game. Will I be asking you plot advice? Well, definitely not if you're intent on dumbing down this game or making it less complex.

Well, over all your critiques weren't very helpful, and I hate to say this, but as a writer, criticism that does not contain constructive elements is a waste of time. Good day sir.

EDIT: I understood going into this project that killing Rayquaza would be a risky move. Its a bit harsh for a pokemon story, I understand. But I included it in for two reasons. 1. Julian needed to be motivated by a desire to cleanse his sins, and this could only be accomplished if he truly felt guilty and Rayquaza was dead, for the Rayquaza couldn't tell him he was doing wrong. 2. You never see his death, it is only refrenced, therefore I felt it wasn't truly crossing the line. From canon we know pokemon can die, so in the end I decided it was the best thing for the story.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
I've read through your opening post, and the plot summary has grabbed my interest. Team Solar sounds like a religious cult - approaching vulnerable high-schoolers as friends, luring them into their organization and slowly introducing them to the group's true intentions.

It seems like you've put some thought into naming your characters and developing stories for the characters. A protagonist who becomes a Pokemon trainer to impress the girl of his dreams - I like it, it's a unique motivation. On the other hand, I can't say I'm too interested for another round of monotype gyms. I don't suppose Hayden would appreciate the need for rock and ground pokemon, seeing as those elements nourish the plants?

The battle screens look lovely, and I can't wait to catch me a Marrosaur!

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
AceDragonite-

I'm going to answer all your critiques one after another, to show how thorough I am. That, and to annoy you.

1. I don't know what Degrassi is, so I can't answer you. Sorry. I didn't take it from Degrassi, if that's what you're thinking, because I don't know what it is.

2.Because, as Julian wants you to think, he believes the world is evil and cruel and needs to be redone. However, because thats not his real reason, it of course doesn't truly hold up.

3. Yes. I mean trainer. Thank you for the spelling (?) error.

4.Alright, here. Here is the origin of our name. Starrmyt and I both attended a summer camp called Frenchwoods. Every year, a man named Ron Dag0n would come and play really, really annoying songs for two hours in the amphitheater as an evening activity, and everyone would be forced to attend. While at camp, the day after we were brainstorming villain names, and of course, Ron Dag0n's name came up. What can I say? Its an inside joke.

5.Well, wouldn't breathing in toxins make you crazy too? And yes, it makes it harder to capture, but Julian didn't know that.

6.Yes, easier prey to capture. He just wanted to capture Rayquaza. He only killed it after his life was in danger. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

7. As I take pride on never having drunk or smoked pot or done any type of drug, that comment hurts. Julian stabbing a soft spot on Rayquaza's belly is an allusion to the Hobbit. I thought Rayquaza kinda looked like a dragon, and in the Hobbit Smog is killed by an arrow to the soft side of his underbelly. People don't use arrows anymore, but there are still hunting knives, so I used that instead.

8. Star Wars? Uh...Mercenaries exist outside of Star Wars. Hate to tell you. I needed a word to show this mercenary was not affiliated with Team Solar, but just working for money, as that's important. It was a choice between Mercenary and Assassin. I chose Mercenary. Seriously man? Star Wars? Wow.

9. This is my biggest, biggest complaint. The sole reason, the sole reason I joined this project was to give the plot more emphasis and more complexity. I am not aiming for a simple plot that is common in all the Nintendo games. I wanted to show that within its limitation, pokemon could be used to host a grand story. If you don't like complex plots and would prefer a mindless button masher, go play Street Fighter or something, or go to some other game. Will I be asking you plot advice? Well, definitely not if you're intent on dumbing down this game or making it less complex.

Well, over all your critiques weren't very helpful, and I hate to say this, but as a writer, criticism that does not contain constructive elements is a waste of time. Good day sir.

EDIT: I understood going into this project that killing Rayquaza would be a risky move. Its a bit harsh for a pokemon story, I understand. But I included it in for two reasons. 1. Julian needed to be motivated by a desire to cleanse his sins, and this could only be accomplished if he truly felt guilty and Rayquaza was dead, for the Rayquaza couldn't tell him he was doing wrong. 2. You never see his death, it is only refrenced, therefore I felt it wasn't truly crossing the line. From canon we know pokemon can die, so in the end I decided it was the best thing for the story.

Bards Sword I am very sorry for offending you and your plot. I was simply stating my mind. Thank you for clarifying. And I do appreciate when fangames go off the beaten path. However not too far, Zirconium had a unique plot, that was nothing like most Pokemon games but they did it perfectly, everything was explained and a friendly light, as well as a dark one was set on the game. And if you were to contact me, I didn't mean I would dumb down the plot, and make it so you go on a jounrey and battle, and that's it, no you have it misunderstood, , I would just make it so it seems more plausible to happen, and more understandable, so everyone can understand and appreciate it, instead of going WTF when they play the demo. I kind of like that Ron Dag0n idea now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back