• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Oh my God nearly everybody else has a preference for gay people. This test makes me feel like such a homophobe even though I'm more homosexual before 9am than most people are all day XD.

That said,

Keiran777 said:
ye olde lesbian

I laughed so hard at this lmao.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

Your Result:
"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People."
I think I screwed up horribly, though. Lol

Random note: I was randomly thinking, "gay" used to mean happy, and it wasn't interchangeable with homosexual. Soooo, when/how did it start getting used that way? Did a boy come out to his mother and she was like "Whatever makes you gay, honey. OH! That's what I'll call you now: gay!"
^/random thought that I had, and I have A LOT of those.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Your Result:
"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People."
I think I screwed up horribly, though. Lol

Random note: I was randomly thinking, "gay" used to mean happy, and it wasn't interchangeable with homosexual. Soooo, when/how did it start getting used that way? Did a boy come out to his mother and she was like "Whatever makes you gay, honey. OH! That's what I'll call you now: gay!"
^/random thought that I had, and I have A LOT of those.

Well I went and googled about it and came across this article. One thing I find interesting is that this article is written in 1986, so it is amusing to read that it "is becoming more common to refer to lesbians as gay." While the term does apply, it still doesn't seem that common to me. xD

Years
I'm reading an article about a new study [clicky here] that says elementary schools in the US aren't happy places for kids and teachers aren't doing as much as they could to help. Among some of the things I'm reading that strike me personally as surprising:
  • Three-fourths of students (75%) report that students at their school are called names, made fun of or bullied with at least some regularity. Most commonly this is because of students' looks or body size (67%), followed by not being good at sports (37%), how well they do at schoolwork (26%), not conforming to traditional gender norms/roles (23%) or because other people think they're gay (21%).
  • Nearly 1 in 10 of elementary students in 3rd to 6th grade (8%) indicate that they do not always conform to traditional gender norms/roles - either they are boys who others sometimes think, act or look like a girl, or they are girls who others sometimes think, act or look like a boy.
  • Less than half of teachers believe that a gender nonconforming student would feel comfortable at their school (male student who acts or looks traditionally feminine: 44%, female student who acts or looks traditionally masculine: 49%)
  • Only a third (34%) of teachers report having personally engaged in efforts to create a safe and supportive classroom environment for gender nonconforming students.
  • While an overwhelming majority of elementary school teachers say that they include representations of different families when the topic of families comes up in their classrooms (89%), less than a quarter of teachers report any representation of lesbian, gay or bisexual parents (21%) or transgender parents (8%).
  • A majority of elementary school teachers believe they are obligated to ensure a safe learning environment for gender nonconforming students (83%) and students with LGBT parents (70%). Eight in 10 teachers would feel comfortable addressing name-calling, bullying or harassment of students because a student is perceived to be gay, lesbian or bisexual (81%) or is gender nonconforming (81%).
  • Less than half of teachers (48%) indicate that they feel comfortable responding to questions from their students about gay, lesbian or bisexual people. There was a lower level of comfort found among teachers (41%) responding to questions from their students about transgender people.
  • A majority of teachers (85%) have received professional development on diversity or multicultural issues, but less than half of teachers have ever received specific professional development on gender issues (37%) or on families with LGBT parents (23%)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
When I was in elementary school, being Gay was the WORST possible thing in the world. If anyone thought you were gay, you might as well just kill yourself right there, because you could never show your face at school again. It was that big of a deal.

I don't recall teachers ever mentioning it, or stopping the bullying. (Although, I never really had to deal with it too much, so maybe I just didn't see it when they did.)

Shining Raichu

Years
I never heard the word "gay" with any regularity while I was in primary school. There were kids who would get picked on for having mannerisms associated with the opposite gender, and in my personal experience my inability to play sports with any degree of skill was considered a feminine thing and had me picked on by the kids who were awesome at sport (not seriously bullied, but bullying is never fun regardless of severity). I'm a little surprised that homosexuality is even an issue for elementary school kids though - I understand that they'd know what it was etc, but why is this an issue that has any impact on their lives before their own sexual development?

-Jared-

Years
I understand that they'd know what it was etc, but why is this an issue that has any impact on their lives before their own sexual development?

Because schoolkids are evil. But no seriously, because kids can be ruthless when it comes to social interaction. I was rather lucky, both in that I never displayed any stereotypical mannerisms associated with homosexuality, and that I went to a small school where we were all fairly tight knit and close. I have heard how in other schools, kids can be horrible little brats. You know, bullying and all. >__<

Shining Raichu

Years
lol well of course, kids are horrible, but my point is that if a boy was acting effeminate in primary elementary school around me, homosexuality would not even be something that crossed my mind. It just wouldn't be something that I thought of. I guess times have changed since 2002 lol

Nakuzami

Years
I'm reading an article about a new study [clicky here] that says elementary schools in the US aren't happy places for kids and teachers aren't doing as much as they could to help. Among some of the things I'm reading that strike me personally as surprising:

I don't pay close attention to the other kids, so I wouldn't really know, lol. But, apparently, I live in a rather gay-friendly community. It's not really a topic that pops up much - unless you're talking about somebody you know is gay or something, there's really no reason for it to pop up. At least, not from what I've seen. Sure, some people do use it as an 'insult,' although it is usually in more of a friendly manner (again, as far as I know, lol) and I even do it on ocassion. Not much, but I have my moments.
As far as bullies go . . . well, I don't think we have too many kids that really intend to act like that, and the ones that do . . . just get ignored, lol. I . . . don't recall ever seeing someone in my school getting bullied for their sexual orientation/identity. (EDIT: Oh, also, we're a rather large school. Nearly 400 kids in my grade alone, I believe? My sister's school has less than 100 in her grade, lol.)

I . . . also know a bit much compared to other thirteen-year-olds, lol.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
lol well of course, kids are horrible, but my point is that if a boy was acting effeminate in primary elementary school around me, homosexuality would not even be something that crossed my mind. It just wouldn't be something that I thought of. I guess times have changed since 2002 lol
Well, I was in school at the same time. It could just be the location.

Kids are just really stupid and immature in general though. I mean, for the first couple years of elementary school, if you said "it", regardless of what you were talking about, it meant sex. Even if you were talking about someone dying, and said the word "it", everyone would start laughing.

At least, that's how kids are around here. lol

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
Years
Shining Raichu yelled at me very persuasively and informed me in the nicest possible way that I was to sign up here o.o Hi.

Shining Raichu

Years
Look guys, while you were all off being lazy, I went out and got you a Pudz! Say "thank you, Andy"! :)

and QK, the "it" thing was not just in your area... and it's still true of a lot of the people here :P

Last edited:
Years
Thank you, Andy!

I don't remember much of elementary school being gay-unfriendly for me since I moved a few times and was just a loner kid who never talked to anyone, but I'm sure it happened outside my notice. Definitely by junior high middle school I saw it and heard it a lot, and by high school I got to be on the receiving end of it often enough. Makes me worried about the current kids since I'm afraid bullying just gets worse as kids get older.

Nakuzami

Years
Kids are just really stupid and immature in general though. I mean, for the first couple years of elementary school, if you said "it", regardless of what you were talking about, it meant sex. Even if you were talking about someone dying, and said the word "it", everyone would start laughing.

At least, that's how kids are around here. lol

Well, that's . . . interesting. "It" has never had that meaning here, lol. It's probably been used like that multiple times, but it's never been like "oh, he said it! He's talking about S-E-X!"

junior high middle school

Somethin' wrong with it bein' called Junior High? Lol
Kindergarten > Primary > Intermediate > Junior High > Senior High
Apparently my school is weird. *shrugs*

OH, and "thank you, Andy!"
There, now obey me. I am your god. Go get me a taco.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years

Well, that's . . . interesting. "It" has never had that meaning here, lol. It's probably been used like that multiple times, but it's never been like "oh, he said it! He's talking about S-E-X!"

Somethin' wrong with it bein' called Junior High? Lol
Kindergarten > Primary > Intermediate > Junior High > Senior High
Apparently my school is weird. *shrugs*

OH, and "thank you, Andy!"
There, now obey me. I am your god. Go get me a taco.
Wait, what is intermediate? I've never heard of that.

Here, it's just Elementary > Middle School (or Jr High, but that's less common) > High School... and that's it.

Oh, and thank you Andy. It was a very thoughtful gift. lol

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
OKAY WE SEEM TO HAVE STAGNATED.

I have a question for you. It's a little wacky but it's relevant to current world events so I'm going to ask it.

If there were a government that supported SOPA/PIPA, but also supported complete equal rights for the entire LGBT community, would you support or vote for that government?

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Sopa is banning site likes Piratebay and Youtube right? Its trying to shutdown all sites people download videos on or is that wrong?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years

I have a question for you. It's a little wacky but it's relevant to current world events so I'm going to ask it.

If there were a government that supported SOPA/PIPA, but also supported complete equal rights for the entire LGBT community, would you support or vote for that government?

Assuming the other options weren't extremely against LGBTs (like how America is), I would say no. Freedoms of all > some. I hate saying that though, so I want to say yes in hopes that people would develop ways to get around the governments control on the internet- which I'm sure is completely possible.

-Jared-

Years

WHAT. WHAT, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE US CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE. LIKE SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE HELL. Anyways, I would not support the government. Like Pudz and Keiran said, I support the rights of everyone more than just ourselves. I am patient; I personally can wait a while longer until SIOA/PIPA are done and gone before focusing on our rights again. xD

Shining Raichu

Years
I wish I could be as morally upstanding as you guys lol. Really, what are the chances of ever finding a government that is in complete and total support of equal rights for the whole LGBT community? And what are the odds that if that opportunity were passed up, it'd ever come around again? Essentially I understand and agree with the point that the rights of all supersede the rights of one group, but I don't know that I would be able to let that opportunity go if it were presented to me.

Back