• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2019
For inserting sprites, you'll need unlz-GBA, Free Space Finder, and lots of more stuff. Make sure it's indexed to 16 colors. You should be more specific on the problems you're having inserting the sprites.

For inserting a titlescreen, you'll need... Tools such as Advance Palette Editor, unlz-GBA, Nameless Tile Map Editor, and probably another tool I'm forgetting... this tutorial can be helpful for you on inserting a titlescreen.

As for the tools, like in the Toolbox section. Most tools I listed are there.

Is there a way I can take tiles that aren't in ruby and put them in there using advance map?

MrAPT1

That one guy who does stuff
Years
Pokemon music hacking?

Now, I know how pokemon music hacking works, and ect and have become interested in it, but I have a problem. No version of sappy that I have found seems to be supported with vista at all. There was a japanese fix that i tried to use but it didn't work either. So, I was wondering if there is something I can do to possibly fix sappy, or maybe even get directed to a working version or perhaps a better alternative. I'd really like to try my hand at pokemon music hacking yet this problem stands in my way.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Is there a way I can take tiles that aren't in ruby and put them in there using advance map?
Yes, that would be tile inserting. Right here is a good tutorial that you can look at. Just find your tiles, index them to 16 colors, and follow the tutorial on what to do. Good luck.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
does anyone know how to edit tho words in the title screen with Unlz.gba?

does anyone know how to edit the words in ruby's title screen with Unlz.gba?

Honestly this is becoing annoying as nobody is being specific. This is a big fat hint of me telling you to be more specific about what words. "Ruby" "Gamefreak" "Pokemon" "Version" are each words on the title screen. Please be more speicific.

G33K

The guy you will someday work
Years
Honestly this is becoing annoying as nobody is being specific. This is a big fat hint of me telling you to be more specific about what words. "Ruby" "Gamefreak" "Pokemon" "Version" are each words on the title screen. Please be more speicific.
sorry i ddnt kno if they were all the same or not...
specifically ruby and version :]

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
Years
Fire Red Hacking Questions

I have a few questions regarding hacking Fire Red:

1. Is there a way I could make the cyclying road (routes 16,17, and 18) a normal path? In other words, can I remove what makes the player move faster going down and slower going up, but it still be manditory to use the bicycle & keep the orignal tiles used?

2. In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald there are bridges that you can walk on and walk under (Ex. route 119, shoal cave). However, when I try to copy this in Fire Red I come across a few issues:
A) When I use the movement permissions (0, 10, 3C (like in R/S/E)) I'm able to walk across the bridge, but when I go to walk under it, I end up back on top of the bridge.
B) When walking across, I can step off of the bridge to the area below.
Is there a way i can correct this and have it work like the Bridges in R/S/E? Or is it something ony possiable in R/S/E?

3. When I alter one of the pokecenters or pokemarts, it changes ALL of them (Say I remove the Computer in the Viridian City Pokecenter, It is removed from all others as well). Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? I've also noticed this happen to the gate houses on Route 2 leading in and out of Viridian Forest.

4. On occasions, after leaving a wild pokemon battle, and there is a trainer or other character on the screen, the game will freeze, I've noticed this mainly happens when i encounter a pokemon that is not normally found on that route in the normal game (ex adding a Zangoose to route 3). is there a way i can correct / prevent this?

Sorry for so many questions.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I have a few questions regarding hacking Fire Red:

1. Is there a way I could make the cyclying road (routes 16,17, and 18) a normal path? In other words, can I remove what makes the player move faster going down and slower going up, but it still be manditory to use the bicycle & keep the orignal tiles used?

2. In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald there are bridges that you can walk on and walk under (Ex. route 119, shoal cave). However, when I try to copy this in Fire Red I come across a few issues:
A) When I use the movement permissions (0, 10, 3C (like in R/S/E)) I'm able to walk across the bridge, but when I go to walk under it, I end up back on top of the bridge.
B) When walking across, I can step off of the bridge to the area below.
Is there a way i can correct this and have it work like the Bridges in R/S/E? Or is it something ony possiable in R/S/E?

3. When I alter one of the pokecenters or pokemarts, it changes ALL of them (Say I remove the Computer in the Viridian City Pokecenter, It is removed from all others as well). Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? I've also noticed this happen to the gate houses on Route 2 leading in and out of Viridian Forest.

4. On occasions, after leaving a wild pokemon battle, and there is a trainer or other character on the screen, the game will freeze, I've noticed this mainly happens when i encounter a pokemon that is not normally found on that route in the normal game (ex adding a Zangoose to route 3). is there a way i can correct / prevent this?

Sorry for so many questions.
I like that you're asking so many questions. That's how you improve.

1. I'm not too sure about this one. But I believe it has to do with the behavior byte D0 & D1 seeing as how all of the ground tiles on cycling road have the Behavior Byte D0 (The cycling road grass has d1). Changing them to 00 and 02 respectively, should fix the continuous downward motion.

2. Yes there is a way to do bridges like R/S/E. Make sure the behavior byte and background byte on the bridge tiles are set to 00. Next make the tiles in from of the bridge have the movement permission 0 [aka blue]. Then right above the 0 movement permission 10 [aka green]. Then right above the 10 movement permission make the bridge tiles have the movement permission 3C.
Do this on both ends of the bridge. Also make sure the tiles to the right and left of the bridge have the permission C [aka purple] or 4 [aka surf - if water]. It should be something akin to the screenshot I've provided.

likeso.png

3. The pokecenters and marts are all connected map wise. There's a tutorial on how to delink maps in the Tutorial section of the forum. There are quite a few houses that are linked map-wise too.

4. I'm not sure of this one either. But I think it might be a an error with a movement behavior with the surrounding trainers.

Last edited:

G33K

The guy you will someday work
Years
ok i hope ime asking this question right.
does any on know how to change the words "ruby" and "version"
on ruby's title screen?

i have a couple questions also.

1. how do you insert tiles on advancemap?

2. does anyone know of a script editor with a good script generator?

and in case it matters im hacking ruby

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
ok i hope ime asking this question right.
does any on know how to change the words "ruby" and "version"
on ruby's title screen?

i have a couple questions also.

1. how do you insert tiles on advancemap?

2. does anyone know of a script editor with a good script generator?

and in case it matters im hacking ruby

For the words you need tile molester. Here's a tutorial for it
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80975&highlight=title

1. Open the block editor (click the purple puzzle piece) and click save tileset (1 or 2 depending on what you wanna do). The open the tileset in paint find a place (or replace exisiting tiles) to put your new tile. Make sure all the colors your new tile uses are present in the palette of the tileset. Or you could change the palette to match your new tile.

2. I'm unsure of this one as I personally scratch all of my scripts.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@G33K: Don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but I'm in the process of creating a script generator, actually, and I've only seen one other existing script editor (PKSV, I believe?). It probably won't be of any help because it can't do much at the moment, and it's more for those who already know how to script (but are just lazy).

Now, does no one really know what special 0x187 does? Because it's still bothering me, but perhaps I'll never know. XD

And as for another question; I've been digging around, once again, and couldn't really find an answer. What makes it so you can or can't run on a map? I've created a new map and found that I'm unable to run in it and I don't know how to alter that setting. Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
@G33K: Don't want to seem like I'm advertising, but I'm in the process of creating a script generator, actually, and I've only seen one other existing script editor (PKSV, I believe?). It probably won't be of any help because it can't do much at the moment, and it's more for those who already know how to script (but are just lazy).

Now, does no one really know what special 0x187 does? Because it's still bothering me, but perhaps I'll never know. XD

And as for another question; I've been digging around, once again, and couldn't really find an answer. What makes it so you can or can't run on a map? I've created a new map and found that I'm unable to run in it and I don't know how to alter that setting. Am I missing something obvious?

Hmm... did you import the map from a different rom?

Try changing the type and cave types under map-options in the Header tab of Advanced Map. Change the cave byte to regular and change the "type" to village or route. That should do it I believe.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2013
Extract soundfonts as a single .INS?

I would like to have a .INS file to use with Anvil Studio so I can make music in the Black and White soundfont. But how would I go about doing it? I have VGMToolbox and VGMTrans, as well as a clean (no patch) copy of both Black and White. I also purchased the Midi Manager extension for Anvil Studio.

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2023
I got three questions:

1. Why Are FireRed roms used more in hacking than Ruby roms? And why are Leafgreen and Sapphire NEVER used?
2. When i walk between route/town with a different tileset, the tiles of that tileset are all black. How do I prevent this?
3.And I got between route/town tree sprites at the beginning of the route, and when I walk from route to town they just appear when I'm like 3 blocks before the route entrance. Also, how do i prevent this?

Thanx for reading.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I got three questions:

1. Why Are FireRed roms used more in hacking than Ruby roms? And why are Leafgreen and Sapphire NEVER used?
2. When i walk between route/town with a different tileset, the tiles of that tileset are all black. How do I prevent this?
3.And I got between route/town tree sprites at the beginning of the route, and when I walk from route to town they just appear when I'm like 3 blocks before the route entrance. Also, how do i prevent this?

Thanx for reading.

1. It's a matter of preference really. Some prefer the look of Fire Red and some Ruby. Sapphire & Leaf Green are RARELY [not Never as there are some LG hacks] used because they're pretty much carbon copies. Also most tools support FR/R/E. Think of it this way. If FR can do everything LG can do why hack Leaf Green over Fire Red?

2. Use a guard gate. That should usually act as a buffer between two places with different tilesets. That's actually one of their uses in the original.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Hmm... did you import the map from a different rom?

Try changing the type and cave types under map-options in the Header tab of Advanced Map. Change the cave byte to regular and change the "type" to village or route. That should do it I believe.

No, it's a completely new map.

It was set to regular and "city" originally, but I did try setting it to both village and route, and nothing is working, for some reason.

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2010
Need help with indexing sprites

Hi iam making an mix of Pokemon Platinum HG SS Black and White
and it works fine only iam stuck at one point
Indexing of sprites
Could someone tell me how to change the positions of the Indexed colors:
img810.imageshack.us/img810/301/helpsos.png
iam using:
IrfanVIEW
unlz-GBA

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
Years
in a hack i'm working on, i've came across an issue. when entering a gate house from one route to another route, the screen goes black and the game freezes.

I'm hacking fire red, and the gate house i'm using is the gate house to the right of viridian forest, and it's connecting route 1 to route 2. I've also set a map connection between routes 1 and 2.

is there something i'm doing wrong here? i've made sure all my warp points are set properly. i'm simply going through to test things such as warps, scripts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back