• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Pokemon Firered Drum Sounds

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
Years
After an hour of listining, I have finally documented the drumsounds to the best of my ability for Pokemon Firered USA Version. This was done, by creating a single track midi file at track 10 (drums only) with the default instrument of the grand piano (the first GM midi instrument which is used in the GBA pokemon roms for the drums), all 1 measure long, at a really slow speed. the notes not listed, produce nothing more than a square beep at middle C. if you do not know the difference between square (square 1/2), direct, wave, and noise:

Direct: these are your real life instruments like the trumpet. they have a natural sound, and are a "Modernized" means of music sounds.

Square: this is your original gameboy like sounds. they are nothing more than the electronic beeps you hear on games like R/B/Y and G/S/C. square1 is used as the high lead, and square 2 is for the base. the gba can only have 1 square 1 and 1 square 2 sound at once. Correct me if im wrong.

Noise: these are noises like when you turn on your tv without a signal. they are commonly used as drum sounds on the gba pokemon games.

Wave: i dont have a good explination for these, other than they seem to be a low quality recording of an instrument. i commonly see them in instruments like the electronic piano. they are rarely used. Correct me if im wrong.

here is the list for the drum sounds on firered:
EDIT: MIDDLE C IS C5. to find what key to press on your midi, start at C5 and go up or down.
Edit 2: here are the key lists on anvil studio:
picture.php

C#2 JINGLE BELL CLICK
D2 CYMBOL LOW
E2 CYMBOL HIGH
F#2 CYMBOL HIGH LONG
G2 CYMBOL HIGH REVERSE
A2 TAPPING POP CLICK
B2 MED TOM
C3 FLOOR TOM
C#3 SNARE HIGH
D3 SNARE HIGH
D#3 HAND CLAP
E3 SNARE SHORT
F3 LOW TOM
F#3 SNARE SHORT
G3 MED TOM
G#3 SNARE SHORT HIGH
A3 HIGH TOM
B3 REALLY HIGH TOM
C4 EVEN HIGHER TOM
C#4 CYMBOL LOW LONG
D4 HIGHEST TOM
E4 HIGHEST CYMBOL
F4 CYMBOL TAP HIGH (CHING LIKE SOUND)
F#4 CLOSED HIGHHAT/DULL JINGLE BELLS
G4 CYMBOL VIBRATE HIGH LONG
G#4 CLICK MED
A4 CYMBOL VIBRATING MED LONG
B4 CYMBOL VIBRATING MED LONG
C5 CYMBOL VIBRATING MED LONG REVERSE
C#5 BOINK SOUND
D5 CLICK (SOUNDS LIKE DOP)
D#5 CLICK (SOUNDS LIKE DUOP)
E5 CLICK (SOUNDS LIKE DUOP)
G#6 TRIANGLE CLINK
A6 TRIANGLE CLINK
A#6 TRIANGLE CLINK
B6 JINGLE BELLS
D7 COWBELL HIGH
D#7 LOW TOM
E7 DOOOMN SOUND
F7 CLANGNNNN SOUND

THESE ARN'T ACTUALLY DRUM SOUNDS, BUT THEY PLAY ANYWAY, AND HAVE A SINGLE NOTE THAT SOUNDS LIKE ITS IN MIDDLE C

G7 PIANO
G#7 GUITAR
A7 TUBULAR BELL
A#7 STRINGS
B7 TRUMPETLIKE STRINGS
C8 BRASS LIKE STRINGS
C#8 TRUMPET
D8 TROMBONE
D#8 FRENCH HORN

Please feel free to comment, and/or to give me the specific names of these instruments that i could only describe the sound to!
Edit: I reasearched this when every current music hacker i asked could not tell me the answer to "what notes play what drum sounds in firered?"
i posted to show my care for the current hackers out here in pokecommunity. PLEASE take time to comment!!!

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
i seriously get 50 views, and no replys... i must have lost my credit as a professional music hacker...

i have a job, as well as other responsibilitys. if i can find the time to reasearch roms in MY FREE TIME! i expect some user input. by people like me spending time to figure out things for people who dont know, and saving them time and trouble of figuring it out themselves, the least you can do, is post a thankyou, or critisism. if i dont see any interest in a week, i will no longer share my knowledge to help improve future hacks. this is twice now. both this, and my .patt tutorial, that explainnes why alot of people asked me why their loops fail, i have had many views, and my best friend that im in real life contact with was the only one who took time to reply! thank you and have a nice day :(

It was decent of you to post this, but people won't really understand any of it. Perhaps details on how to add new drum sounds, or remove them (I know that the Strings one annoys the hell out of me), would enthuse people to post?

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
Years
finally, some user input.

this simply states the notes, and what octaves they use. im going to find which one middle c is, and post a tutorial later, on how to know what notes are what. this is simply to inform people who have knowledge on midi editing programs for now.

Years
Oh, I get it.
But, if you export certain MIDIs from a ROM (ie. "Record To Midi" with Sappy), then open it in FL Studio, these instruments are labelled in the Piano Roll, along the corresponding notes of the keyboard. I'd provide I screenshot, but I can't right now. I don't mean to belittle the effort you put into your hour of listening to it, but if you can, have a look for yourself.

Last edited:

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
Years
Major update!!!

i have added the middle C reference, as well as a screenshot of the anvil studio keyboard to help even further. hope this helps, and dont forget to comment. it shows me you are interested!!! :D

Back