• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thought on bad eggs

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
they exist in gen 6 and have been verified, there's even video as far back as October before hacking even existed for X&Y (below), only difference is they are called "Mystery Egg" now instead of "Bad Egg" due to their location in the stats window being Mystery Zone.

This video's from October 13th (person only owned the game for 1 day).

And a follow up video a month later of their experience with them (his personal bad eggs is probably due to a corrupt game cart):

Thnx for sharing the video,sorrowdemonica.i guess wonder trade isn't the culprit.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
Thnx for sharing the video,sorrowdemonica.i guess wonder trade isn't the culprit.

Well that's one case, his sounds like a corrupt cart, since it happened to him As soon as he starts the game, already waiting for him in his PC on a newly fresh started game (as he states in the 2nd video).

However there are other reported cases, some with proof (photos/videos) of individuals who stated their bad/mystery eggs appeared after a trade, wondertrade, or randomly appearing..

I think they just can appear for anyone at anytime after doing anything.. just if something processes wrong, glitches, corrupts, receive extra data, or fails a checksum, you can find yourself a bad egg. So if receiving a Mystery egg after a Wonder Trade is coincidence or not, if it hasn't happened to you yet, then it's probably never going to happen. Maybe those few people who indeed get their Bad/Mystery eggs after wonder trade, maybe it's that portion of their Game Cartridge that controls Wonder Trading that's corrupted so it get's triggered when they do. But your guess is as good as anyone else :)

XpokeX

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
Well that's one case, his sounds like a corrupt cart, since it happened to him As soon as he starts the game, already waiting for him in his PC on a newly fresh started game (as he states in the 2nd video).

However there are other reported cases, some with proof (photos/videos) of individuals who stated their bad/mystery eggs appeared after a trade, wondertrade, or randomly appearing..

I think they just can appear for anyone at anytime after doing anything.. just if something processes wrong, glitches, corrupts, receive extra data, or fails a checksum, you can find yourself a bad egg. So if receiving a Mystery egg after a Wonder Trade is coincidence or not, if it hasn't happened to you yet, then it's probably never going to happen. Maybe those few people who indeed get their Bad/Mystery eggs after wonder trade, maybe it's that portion of their Game Cartridge that controls Wonder Trading that's corrupted so it get's triggered when they do. But your guess is as good as anyone else :)

That was a deep explanation.And yeah i guess your right.just hope this doesnt happen to more people and a fix to be made soon enough

Pinta77

Makes sense, but I've never heard of corrupt cartridges before until now. I mean I'm sure it can happen, but shouldn't it have happened in other games like D/P/P or B/W if it was ever going to happen?

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
Makes sense, but I've never heard of corrupt cartridges before until now. I mean I'm sure it can happen, but shouldn't it have happened in other games like D/P/P or B/W if it was ever going to happen?

Well it's expected with any product.. what do you expect of a Mass Produced product made in the Millions, shipped worldwide to meet demands of a World Wide release. It's inevitable for there to be defective copies.

Just like how you can buy any product (especially mass produced) for it to not work or have defects (i.e. electronics, cars, furniture, etc).

Also I am sure it has happened in D/P/P and B/W. only problem with those is that they are all easily hacked/glitched. So if someone got the Bad Eggs without doing anything illegal, without hacking/modding, when they report it on a forum or somewhere, People just reply accusing them of hacking, glitching, or using an Action Replay, so it gets ignored.

But reason why it seems to not go as ignored or seems more significant with Gen 6 X&Y is because it's on a whole New System, has no glitches/hacks available for it publicly, and no Action Replay.

Last edited:

Shhmew

Years

This is what I've always thought. I've never seen proof of people getting bad eggs through wonder trade, but if some people have, it's probably because of some corruption in their individual game cartridge that's messing up the data. It makes people scared to wonder trade, because they'll get a "bad egg", but a bad egg is really just another name for corrupted data, not an actual thing someone can give over wonder trade or anything like that. Like sorrow said, if it hasn't happened to you yet, it's probably never going to happen-- your cartridge is clean and just fine, as it should be. ;P

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
Get your very own Lovecraftian horror in an egg today! Is it bad that I actually want to find one of those in Y? I used to get a few in Sapphire from some badly written AR codes but that was years and years ago.

Shhmew

Years
Get your very own Lovecraftian horror in an egg today! Is it bad that I actually want to find one of those in Y? I used to get a few in Sapphire from some badly written AR codes but that was years and years ago.
Well, considering having a "bad egg" in X&Y seems to mean your game cartridge is corrupt (which is very different from the bad eggs of previous generations, which typically resulted in failed AR codes), it's definitely nooot something fun to find. ;P

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016

I was actually thinking the same thing :P Despite the obvious drawbacks (overwriting the Pokemon in your PC at random is not cool), I think it would be fun to experiment with.

Years
i thought bad eggs didnt exist in gen 6? or am i confusing them with missingno?
missingno was only in red blue green? I'm pretty sure that's the only games it was in. There are rumors of bad eggs in gen 6. I'm not sure if any reputable source has confirmed it yet though. Until someone debunks or confirms it I would still be weary of receiving eggs in trades...if rumors are true that the bad data is a malfunction/ hack in the wonder trade, then you'll know as soon as you receive a egg via wonder trade that its bad because you aren't supposed to be able to trade/ receive eggs in w.t.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Bad eggs form because the data is corrupted. It is likely that it's actually sending null data, because the message "The egg looks like it's about to hatch!" is indicated by a low number of steps, but it will never hatch if that value is below 1. The dates are cleared to 0 because of the same reason. It's likely that something that is being nulled out is being sent through for some reason, either corruption of the initial game or a communication error. The game uses the error handler BAD EGG to help prevent the game from crashing. I'm not sure why they clone though. It's likely because empty spots are also null, and the game may mistaken them for additional null BAD EGGs.

If this is the case then a good solution for GAME FREAK would be to abort all trades that somehow result in the receiver obtaining a null Pokemon.

Last edited:

XpokeX

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2023
i thought bad eggs didnt exist in gen 6? or am i confusing them with missingno?

They are called mystery eggs now btw(i guess since their location is in a place called mystery zone) and bad eggs existed in past games and missingno i think only existed in gen 1

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
missingno was only in red blue green? I'm pretty sure that's the only games it was in. There are rumors of bad eggs in gen 6. I'm not sure if any reputable source has confirmed it yet though. Until someone debunks or confirms it I would still be weary of receiving eggs in trades...if rumors are true that the bad data is a malfunction/ hack in the wonder trade, then you'll know as soon as you receive a egg via wonder trade that its bad because you aren't supposed to be able to trade/ receive eggs in w.t.
the most recent pokemon games i played before y was ruby firered and emerald and i can say for sure missingno was in ruby and emerald because i gamesharked them but i cant vouch for firered because i played it legit or gen 2 because i barely remember playing it. its safe to say it was in there too because that was gen 3. it appeared either as a double question mark or a question mark in a black and white circle. google image search. as for wonder trade thats a good excuse for me to keep away from using that because the last thing i need is my game getting destroyed because someone wanted to hack 999 rare candies and event exclusive pokemon
They are called mystery eggs now btw(i guess since their location is in a place called mystery zone) and bad eggs existed in past games and missingno i think only existed in gen 1
it was in gen 3 also

Years
the most recent pokemon games i played before y was ruby firered and emerald and i can say for sure missingno was in ruby and emerald because i gamesharked them but i cant vouch for firered because i played it legit or gen 2 because i barely remember playing it. its safe to say it was in there too because that was gen 3. it appeared either as a double question mark or a question mark in a black and white circle. google image search. as for wonder trade thats a good excuse for me to keep away from using that because the last thing i need is my game getting destroyed because someone wanted to hack 999 rare candies and event exclusive pokemon

it was in gen 3 also

In red & blue version you ran into the missing by performing a in game glitch to get multiples of items. Whatever item was in your 6th ( I think ) slot would be multiplied by a random amount when you encountered missingo. You encountered him by talking to the guy in viridian city that will show you how to catch a pokemon. Directly after that you fly to cinnabar island and go surf the half land half water edge to the right of the town next to the gym. You run into the glitched up thing at different levels, and sometimes you could even run into pkmn from different areas of the game at levels 120+. I used to spend so much time going through missingos hoping I would run into that lvl 120+ random pkmn and it be a gengar or an alakazam bc when I was younger sadly I had no link cable... fun times. Needless to say I never did nor do know if it was possible. But that was how you got 999 rare candys and master balls back then if you didn't have a gameshark or game genie

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
All i can recommend is if you get a bad egg.

3. this may seem cruel, but open a trade with a random passerby and trade them the egg.

Lol. What a dick. I can see someone has no conscience. =[

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I've heard of this, but I've never experienced it or seen it occur. I haven't been offered one or seen one on the GTS, either, nor in WonderTrade.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I got the bad egg twice in Sapphire...not sure why as I didn't use any hacking device on it, probably just a glitch.

I hope I don't find one...I want a remake of Sapphire (and Ruby) not a remake of that bad egg I encountered to happen in Y 0_o...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They are a threat. I would turn off the power as soon as i get and god forbbid that the game automatically save before receiving it.

One of the bad eggs I encountered in Sapphire erased my save file when I did that...and this Mystery egg is said to be worse...so maybe turning it off won't work ;-;

Back