• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Combine JE and GE.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Look at the area, it's not completely dead, and it still stands on it's own activity. I'm thinking Digi should have a say in it too, if we're talking about tossing his forum. It's chat thread still gets enough posts, sometimes a lot in one day, and it's threads get posts every day or so. It's standing, even if it does need something to spice it up. I just feel like if it's merged with GE, then one is gonna eat the other, and there'll be a serious lack of GE threads, or a serious lack of JE threads. As it is now, there's still a small place where anime fans can go to talk, and say if GE threads take over and the level of anime topics die off - how that goes is people start feeling insecure about posting anime-related threads, or Japan-related threads. "Well no one else is posting them, so maybe it's weird for me too..", and the whole presence just kind of dies off. That's all "What if", because that may not happen, but PC has always had an area for Japanese entertainment, and it seems wrong to possibly kill that off.

If that doesn't happen, and the JE threads will still pop up, then that'd be cool, it's just tricky because of what I just went in to. Nobody has to agree with me, but yeah.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Look at the area, it's not completely dead, and it still stands on it's own activity. I'm thinking Digi should have a say in it too, if we're talking about tossing his forum. It's chat thread still gets enough posts, sometimes a lot in one day, and it's threads get posts every day or so. It's standing, even if it does need something to spice it up. I just feel like if it's merged with GE, then one is gonna eat the other, and there'll be a serious lack of GE threads, or a serious lack of JE threads. As it is now, there's still a small place where anime fans can go to talk, and say if GE threads take over and the level of anime topics die off - how that goes is people start feeling insecure about posting anime-related threads, or Japan-related threads. "Well no one else is posting them, so maybe it's weird for me too..", and the whole presence just kind of dies off. That's all "What if", because that may not happen, but PC has always had an area for Japanese entertainment, and it seems wrong to possibly kill that off.

If that doesn't happen, and the JE threads will still pop up, then that'd be cool, it's just tricky because of what I just went in to. Nobody has to agree with me, but yeah.
Yes, it gets some activity - it's not completely dead. I'm not saying it's completely dead, though. I'm saying that it doesn't have enough activity to warrant it remaining a separate forum. You know that if someone suggested a new forum and the topic that they wanted it for (say, Shipping, for instance) had the amount of threads relating to it, it wouldn't pass off with enough activity to warrant an entire forum on it. Just having a single chat thread that gets enough posts, sometimes a lot in one day doesn't really seem like enough activity to warrant it's own forum.

There'd still be a small space for anime fans to go to talk if it were in General Entertainment. The forum wouldn't be removed, its topics will still be there, just in a different place.

"...but PC has always had an area for Japanese entertainment, and it seems wrong to possibly kill that off..." and there it is, the exact thing that I think is what's holding so many people back. Also happens to be the same reason it took so long to even touch Other Chat.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Honestly I agree with Nick. I want to say a similar situation here if nobody minds, about somewhere else in PC that'll eventually go through what is being discussed here. Take B/W and B2W2, eventually they'll both be as inactive as each other to be merged and would benefit from the general topics rather than making one specific (as Nick mentioned about how something entertainment-related impacted you) for each forum. While they're not exactly the same both situations are similar enough in the general idea that if merged it wouldn't affect the general userbase or discussions, because both could benefit from the broader discussion scope. Just figured I'd throw that in there that if you'll eventually do that for a situation like that, then in principle it's no different really to GE/JE.

droomph

weeb
Years
And take it like this - 4th Gen has both D/P and HG/SS. It's not so bad - both prefixes get equal amounts of activity, and everything seems to be working out as of now.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I would rather ditch the clubs forum and have all of their respective subjects be placed into their own forums. :P
I personally like the current organisation of clubs. I think keeping them together and separated into two sub-categories (Other Clubs and Pokemon Clubs), would really help keep them organised and easy to find!

But then again, I can see where you're coming from, I suppose the clubs would have their own other board they'd fit into, and it'd give that board a bit more activity.

Last edited:
Years
Yay, let's let out all the HQ dirty laundry! :D

Yay for public discussion! :D​

Except Video Games is the most active entertainment forum...

*Hip thrust*

ANYWAY! I am on the fence over this one, because it is a pretty difficult situation, in my eyes. I know JE has been on the decline for a while, due to the actual JE community on PC dwindling; it just doesn't seem to be as popular any more and I have seen that trend happen off PC too.

However, it isn't a 'dead' board, it does get activity and I think we should get Digi's opinion on it, since it is his board. Maybe he can give us his opinion on how it is going and what it was like a while back.​

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I personally see no reason for General Entertainment and Japanese Entertainment to be segregated based on the country of origin anyway. It seems pointless to me. It would be like having two different sections to discuss general chat and then chat related to Canada, or Wales, or any other country. So I agree with combining them.

I also think that the only reason "Other Clubs" remains is because there's a sign-up sheet at the start of every club and people find themselves somewhat privileged to be a member of a club. Personally I think that's the only difference between a club discussing a topic, and the same interest topic posted in GE or JE. Clubs is a fairly pointless section when it boils down to it, the same sort of discussion happens in aforementioned sections, and there's no reason why people can't drive it there.

However in saying that, being a member of a club discussing a topic, and entering a thread and posting about that topic are two different things. As I say, it's more the concept of a club in which drives them, than the topic at hand. The reason clubs are popular is because a lot of them have a hierarchy, sign-up sheet, and they also host a nice little spot in which to meet peers interested in the same topics.

So to be completely honest, I feel there needs to be a reformation of clubs, to make them "Interest Groups". Instead of having "The Desperate Housewives Club", or clubs in which are simply just based on TV shows/movies and so forth, there should be more clubs like LGBT, Atheist Alliance, and for example interest groups surrounding more broad things such as animals, sports, fitness, musicianship and so on.

To summarize in a short sentence; merge GE & JE. Re-purpose Other Clubs, name it "Interest Groups", allow more broad aspects involving culture rather than interest, and deny the ability to make groups based on individual bands, TV shows, Movies, Games and so on. Keep all specific franchise topics for General Entertainment. Or something along the lines of this paragraph.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
No from me. I've always seen GE as a place where the people here who don't care about a ton of Japanese things can talk about, well, other entertainment. Imo the split between them was very well-warranted and doesn't cause total alienation to people who either only like Japanese things or people who only like non-Japanese things in one section. Keep them split - especially on PC, Japanese culture and entertainment is a world apart from the sort of things discussed in GE.

Think of this too - should we merge Other Clubs with Pokémon Clubs? No, because on this forum they're a world apart from each other despite both containing clubs. It's a similar thing; one section for something specific and massively popular with our memberbase (i.e. Japanese Entertainment) and another to catch all the rest (i.e. General Entertainment).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
No from me. I've always seen GE as a place where the people here who don't care about a ton of Japanese things can talk about, well, other entertainment. Imo the split between them was very well-warranted and doesn't cause total alienation to people who either only like Japanese things or people who only like non-Japanese things in one section. Keep them split - especially on PC, Japanese culture and entertainment is a world apart from the sort of things discussed in GE.

Think of this too - should we merge Other Clubs with Pokémon Clubs? No, because on this forum they're a world apart from each other despite both containing clubs.
How are they a world apart from each other? They're both entertainment-oriented forums. They both discuss music, they both discuss movies, they both discuss reading material, and they both discuss TV shows. It's as if just because those TV shows for one forum are called anime (which are simply animations, when we get down to it made in Japan - we have animations in the western world as well), people think it's so different. The same type of discussions that are in General Entertainment are in Japanese Entertainment; there's general discussions, and there's threads for a sole purpose of discussing a single topic (TV show, movie, book, whatever).

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
How are they a world apart from each other? They're both entertainment-oriented forums. They both discuss music, they both discuss movies, they both discuss reading material, and they both discuss TV shows. It's as if just because those TV shows for one forum are called anime (which are simply animations, when we get down to it made in Japan - we have animations in the western world as well), people think it's so different.

In the same way that Pokémon Clubs and Other Clubs are a world apart as I said in the second part of my post, or in the way that tbh any of the Pokémon sections are apart - all discuss Pokémon but each discusses a different aspect of it. It's the same thing here. Both sections discuss entertainment but both sections have fanbases different from each other because they're very differently viewed by the community. If you won't take it from me then look at the posters - a lot of regular posters in GE do not regularly post in JE because they're so far apart. It's like how you wouldn't expect anyone to be happy merging Black and White with Battle Centre; they're both about Pokémon games but very different aspects of it. I don't really know how else to put it. I just don't think the two topics are compatible enough to justify a forum merge.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
In the same way that Pokémon Clubs and Other Clubs are a world apart as I said in the second part of my post, or in the way that tbh any of the Pokémon sections are apart - all discuss Pokémon but each discusses a different aspect of it. It's the same thing here. Both sections discuss entertainment but both sections have fanbases different from each other because they're very differently viewed by the community. If you won't take it from me then look at the posters - a lot of regular posters in GE do not regularly post in JE because they're so far apart. It's like how you wouldn't expect anyone to be happy merging Black and White with Battle Centre; they're both about Pokémon games but very different aspects of it. I don't really know how else to put it. I just don't think the two topics are compatible enough to justify a forum merge.
...except the only reason Japanese Entertainment isn't merged with General Entertainment is because they contents within are made in Japan. That is literally the only difference between Japanese Entertainment and General Entertainment. Korean music is posted in General Entertainment, even though its like a brother to Japanese music. I would understand if it was Asian-oriented as a whole, but it's only Japanese. And with the amount of activity in there, it just seems like common sense to merge the two. Using the Pokémon forums as an example here doesn't really seem like something that's contributing to the argument, because this is a Pokémon forum - so it makes sense to keep generation gaming separate from things like oriented gaming, like competitive battling. Pokémon Clubs and Other Clubs are worlds apart, though, because Pokémon Clubs deal with Pokémon Clubs and Other Clubs deals with... every single thing imaginable outside of Pokémon. So I'm not sure how that correlates to Japanese Entertainment and General Entertainment, because the only thing separating the two is the country of origin.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I think the title 'Japanese Entertainment' is a bit... broad. Perhaps just an Anime & Manga subsection of General Entertainment would suffice.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
I'm just going to come in here and make it quite clear first off that I don't post in either Japanese Entertainment or General Entertainment. But that isn't important, the fact is that one of the main reasons people want this merge, from what I've read, is because of activity. Why, please answer me this, does it matter if they're going to be more active if they're together? Why don't we just merge Tabletop Games in while we're at it, there are sections that are less active than both Japanese and General entertainment and we're not looking to merge them left right and centre.
I personally am against the merge, the culture of General Entertainment and the culture of Japanese Entertainment are different and it doesn't make sense, yes, Anime is just Japanese animation and Manga is very similar to Western comics they're not the same, and as anyone who reads Manga and watches Anime can tell you the dimensions of them are completely different and warrant completely different discussion, it doesn't make sense to merge two sections which people haven't really had an issue with being standalone, and looking at this thread a lot of people are on the fence with this or against it.

Perhaps a good course of action would be to make some sort of poll in both of the sections, find out what the people who post there think of the idea then look to go forward, yes, I admit there are definite pros to a merge but doing it for activity is not one of them, that doesn't matter. The mods of both sections need to be comfortable going ahead with this idea as well, this idea needs to be planned and we need to look at all opinions from all parties involved.

So yeah, no, don't merge them, it's not necessary, the things discussed within them are separate to one another and it should stay like that.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
^ Yeah, I would 'Like' that post if I could, because it's my thoughts too. They're not hurting anything at all staying separate, and they seriously are different enough that it would be awkward to merge them.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Regarding "The only difference is that they're from different places":
The issue with the merging isn't really a question of where it comes from, it's more of the cultural differences between the two groups. In general, society looks down on otaku, and otaku want the riajuus to stay out of their business. It's like the difference between preps and nerds. Rather, I propose cutting out the nerd section of GE and merging it with JE, calling the section "Comics & Cartoons", or something.

Regarding the name "Japanese Entertainment":
The time this name was put in was a point in the timeline that J-Dramas, Tokusatsu, and Jpop had been getting big. Seeing as they didn't fit into "Other Anime and Manga" since it was live action, and would probably not get any activity if posted in elsewhere. Due to this, the name was shifted to Japanese Entertainment. Now that K-pop has gotten bigger, that's definitely an issue.

Yeah, activity theft from other forums is really the biggest problem with clubs. Clubs are really just DCC threads for a specific topic, and I think those kinds of things make much more sense being placed into the forums that already exist for those topics.

This too. I see 10/29 relevant active threads split across GE and JE topics, 18/29 including video games. While the JE section doesn't get much activity, there's often a good 5-10 relevant threads in the clubs section that are fairly active at said time.

droomph

weeb
Years
Perhaps changing the name of the forum? I literally had no idea that you could also talk about Korean and other stuff until you just said so.

Maybe if you make it a bit more obvious that other east-Asian countries can be discusses more activity would come your way.

Last edited:

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Perhaps changing the name of the forum? I literally had no idea that you could also talk about Korean and other stuff until you just said so.

Maybe if you make it a bit more obvious that other east-Asian countries can be discusses more activity would come your way.

That's mostly because the K-pop side is pretty close to Japanese side. It's only been maybe 1-3 years since hype started and it got bigger recently cuz of gangnam.

Unfortunately, that's actually pretty unlikely. I can only immediately think of maybe two to three topics tops coming out of adding them, and they'd probably die pretty quickly: being K-dramas, Bollywood, and K-pop. However, it probably wouldn't hurt too badly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Regarding "The only difference is that they're from different places":
The issue with the merging isn't really a question of where it comes from, it's more of the cultural differences between the two groups. In general, society looks down on otaku, and otaku want the riajuus to stay out of their business. It's like the difference between preps and nerds. Rather, I propose cutting out the nerd section of GE and merging it with JE, calling the section "Comics & Cartoons", or something.
That... makes a lot more sense then the people who say things like "the culture in the two forums are different!!!" So thank you for giving an example on how exactly they're different, because I am definitely someone who can relate to the example that you gave. But considering I'm someone who relates to the "riajuus" and I'm suggesting a merge, I'm not sure of the effectiveness of that, because to me, logically, it makes the most sense to keep the TV shows of any kinds, reading materials of any kind, music of any kind together.

Also, to the people suggesting to merge other forums with General Entertainment seem to be neglecting the fact that General Entertainment and Japense Entertainment, although their cultures are different, are still forums with the same orientation and basis for existing, where Video Games and Toptable Games exist for entirely different purposes; one is for video games, and the other is for card games, which aren't similar in any other way than being forums of entertainment (which is why they're in the entertainment category).

Last edited by a moderator:

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
That... makes a lot more sense then the people who say things like "the culture in the two forums are different!!!" So thank you for giving an example on how exactly they're different, because I am definitely someone who can relate to the example that you gave. But considering I'm someone who relates to the "riajuus" and I'm suggesting a merge, I'm not sure of the effectiveness of that, because to me, logically, it makes the most sense to keep the TV shows of any kinds, reading materials of any kind, music of any kind together.

Also, to the people suggesting to merge other forums with General Entertainment seem to be neglecting the fact that General Entertainment and Japense Entertainment, although their cultures are different, are still forums with the same orientation and basis for existing, where Video Games and Toptable Games exist for entirely different purposes; one is for video games, and the other is for card games, which aren't similar in any other way than being forums of entertainment (which is why they're in the entertainment category).

The problem, however, is the scare factor that comes with it. For something with a wide enough range of topics, what'll usually happen is a sort of "Majority Rules" effect, in which the side with more threads will effectively wipe out the minority, making outside people assume that the section isn't about what they're trying to post, and effectively scaring them away, which is a lot more prominent when regarding conflicting cultures. Examples include how there's little to no individual series discussion in JE and little to no nerdism in GE.

Back