• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Service Pack 3

Max™

Needs to scarfduggy
Years
I have a question, can a PC go on and live on Service Pack 2?

Cuz when I tried to get service pack 3, I need to activate windows but I don't have the activation code, so is it possible to live on service pack 2?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
absolutely, you can still live on SP2, Just make sure that you have an good anti-virus program that up to date.
Most things still require the minimum to be SP2 so you're still good for at least another year or so.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
What I mean by that is, while Microsoft has planned for XP support until 2014, they also plan to release Windows 7, the next version after Vista, by 2011. When that happens, I can only foresee Software created after that point to be Vista or 7 compatible.
So while the majority of today's new programs still require XP SP2, at the very least, it's not improbable that when Windows 7 is released the minimum OS requirements would be Vista Home Basic.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2010
SP3 doesn't do much, except add a couple of things, and that's it. Nothing else. An utter waste of time. Don't bother. :)

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
Years
SP3 doesn't do much, except add a couple of things, and that's it. Nothing else. An utter waste of time. Don't bother. :)

Yeah, security, bugfixes and stability improvements are for chumps. Be a rebel! :D

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
sure you can.
I've been with service pack 2 for a year now.

Max™

Needs to scarfduggy
Years
So it's not vital until windows 7 comes out, then the basic becomes vista meaning that XP becomes no longer 'usable' and everything is designed for vista

and You're saying I only have a year till I need SP3 or until I need vista?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Well, that's usually the way things have been, Granted that XP was out much longer before Vista came on the scene and had already prety much irradicated all Win98se or Win2k requirements, but seeing as how fast technical development is going, it's more of an educated guess that that is what is going to happen. We won't know until after Windows 7 is out whether the minimum goes to Vista or stays with XP, but I'm pretty sure that if the minimum OS requirements are still XP by then they're bound to require SP3 at the latest.
(though to be honest, by the time all of this actually happens, you're more than likely to either have need of a new computer or be able to easily upgrade to Windows 7)

Max™

Needs to scarfduggy
Years
Ok, thnx for your expertise dood ^_^
So it's not neccessary but recomended to get sp3, k thnx people !

Years
As long as you have all the available security updates via Windows Update, you should be okay. Spey, just because there is no visible changes, it doesn't mean nothing happens. Security updates are also important. Given the full update is ~300 MB, iirc, you can't assume it doesn't do much.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
Years
I am... Joking in the last part. The only choice to get rid of the damn virus is to reformat. :)
*SHAME*

And hey, is SP3 DVD format? Let me try it...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
It doesnt mean that just because you have SP3 doesnt mean that you could never get a virus like that. Besides, I could get rid of the virus! I just don't want to. :)
The Service Pack 3 update for Microsoft Windows XP contains new functionality and numerous updates (some of which are available without installing the service pack). Many of these updates are to patch security vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. Microsoft highly recommends that all non-business users of this operating system install the Service Pack 3 update, though your system should function without it.

I am... Joking in the last part. The only choice to get rid of the damn virus is to reformat. :)
*SHAME*

And hey, is SP3 DVD format? Let me try it...

If you are using any edition Microsoft Windows XP, you can download the Service Pack 3 update (SP3) for your computer through the Microsoft Windows Update website or from the Microsoft Download Center. You must have the Service Pack 1 update (SP1) installed to install Service Pack 3, and it also recommended that the Service Pack 2 update (SP2). If you are not using Microsoft Windows XP (for instance, if you are using Microsoft Windows Vista), you do not need the Windows XP Service Pack 3 update.

Back