• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why burn fossil fuels?

Years
I believe this global warming business is a pile of crap. It is just another way for governments like Australia and China to put up a Carbon Tax and just steal money from their citizens.

But the theories are very conclusive. The amount of pollutants in the air today vs in the air 5,000 years ago is beyond ridiculous. I watched a lecture on global warming trends within the last 200,000,000 (two-hundred-million) years a few years back and I remember the lecturer interacting with the audience. He showed a graph that showed carbon emissions rising and falling seasonally and the pattern was very average. The peaks in the graph right up until it dropped off again showed the series of Ice-ages in Earths history.
At the end of the graph the results were more than 4 times the highest peak in natural emissions.

We're overdue for another Ice-age and our government is going the wrong way about it I agree. But at least they're trying.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I believe this global warming business is a pile of crap. It is just another way for governments like Australia and China to put up a Carbon Tax and just steal money from their citizens.

Because it inconveniences you does not invalidate the scientific community's overwhelming acceptance that climate change is occurring. Unless you have a few credentials under your belt showing that you specialize in climatology and can refute all the claims scientists in this field have made, neither you nor I have the competence to refute their conclusions. You are offering an opinion, not fact. And as I've observed repeatedly, opinion rarely has any basis in reality.

But let's for a second ignore climate change, and instead focus on other aspects of the burning of fossil fuels. Doing so has an extremely detrimental effect on the economy in terms of health care costs. More and more people are being diagnosed with lung related illnesses, including asthma and lung cancer than can be attributable to smoking alone. We humans have drastically altered the quality of air in the atmosphere, directly impacting on the lives of millions of people. Treating these illnesses costs billions annually, money that directly affects the economy.

I take public transit, and I drive an ebike when the weather is favourable. I recycle constantly, even things people normally would through away, such as milk cartons or even toilet paper rolls. All of it goes into recycling. I do whatever I can to reduce or eliminate my dependance on pollution causing energy sources. The power for my house, for instance, is mostly generated by large generators found under Niagara falls, the rest by nuclear power, and a small percentage of coal-fire plants. We will be installing solar panels on our roof in the near future, which will greatly reduce our energy costs because the power we'd generate would go back into the grid. The power company, in effect, would be paying us to supply power. That's a nice thought.

You may think your governments efforts are a scam, designed to milk your country's citizens of all they are worth, but what you fail to realize is that if they don't do something, it is your future generations that will suffer the consequences. I would suggest, instead of complaining, do something to help your government find alternative solutions to the growing problems caused by human beings filling the air with toxic chemicals.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Why burn them? We have to have some sort of energy as we make the transition to things like solar and wind energy.

Gemasolar Thermosolar Plant in Seville, Spain. It produces 110 GW-h per year. It produces energy 24hrs a day. It's enough energy to power 27,500 homes.
Spoiler:

Ivanpah Solar Power Facility in Mojave Desert, USA. It's currently under construction, but is projected to be completed sometime in 2013. It will produce 1,079,232 MW-h a year. Here it is as of May 2013. It's 92% complete.
Spoiler:

Solar Impulse Plane over San Francisco. It recently completed its flight across the United States. It will be flying around the world next. It can fly day and night.
Spoiler:

World's largest offshore wind farm - the London Array.
Spoiler:

World's largest onshore wind farm - Jaisalmer Wind Park.
Spoiler:

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
until demand is high enough most companies aren't going to invest money in technology that hasn't been proven yet. so fossil fuel wins. at least hybrids are becoming more commonplace now, and tesla motors is coming into the picture as well. for the average consumer, though, we dont give enough ****s to drop extra 20-50k on economic cars

Back